Critique B&W Hares .... and anothers ...

Gav.

Challenge Owner
Name
Gav
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all

I spend a lot of time shooting in the early hours, this has a knock affect on the images I take, some I can't seem to get right no matter how I edit them as the colours or light just doesn't seem correct.
I thought I try playing with B&W.

How do these look? I understand personal taste is differant for everyone, just looking for some differant views and feedback :)

Thank you for your time & looking (y)

Another in post #6 & edit in #7 :)

B&W - poor light capture by Gavin Wickham, on Flickr

B&W by Gavin Wickham, on Flickr

Last edited:
How do these look? I understand personal taste is differant for everyone, just looking for some differant views and feedback
As I've mentioned before Gav, you have come on leaps and bounds ( :D ) both with your photography,
and the processing, this past year of so.
TBH I rarely find anything to critique these days, and these are no different, although I do prefer the slightly lighter version in #2

They are excellent.
Thank you.:)
As I've mentioned before Gav, you have come on leaps and bounds ( :D ) both with your photography,
and the processing, this past year of so.
TBH I rarely find anything to critique these days, and these are no different, although I do prefer the slightly lighter version in #2
Thank you, Chris, I'll keep going chipping away, it's rare I do B&W but has a nice feel on some of the images, I think I prefer the lighter take too.
Thanks for the feedback (y)
Got to agree with Chris above your photography has come a long beautifully, you ask and take advice given and come back with images like these. For me it's got to be the #2 shot as love the low down look your getting and B&W goes really well.
Thank you, Dave, #2 is one of my favorite images, light was poor, I think B&W has added something to it.
Thank you for the feedback :)

Gav I know a couple or 3 folks that shoot hare regularly, with some form of passion.....all of em me included struggle with colour.frankly bro it would amaze me if you were different . Mate I agree utterly with the posts above your progress is super tis a joy to watch mate. I love how good you are mate. ( forgive me being serious for once kiddo)

B and W doesn't really float my boat Gav , to me you are maybe dodging the fight most of us have . That said with B and W not really being my thang it's damn hard being objective so take that on board or with a pinch of salt.

Mate simply be you keep pushing ,my personal take is keep fighting with colour it's not shooting early in the day Gav it's happening through the day tis light the season the green of grass the brown of a hare . The whole shebang is transient

Bud late afternoon 2 days back I crawled up to a hare she sat there never moved, ( OK maybe she turned slightly to stare me out) in that hour the sun shone liight was a tad harsh it went too dark, at times the the light was subtle and lovely, the wind howled it rained hard, I look at those frames and they floor me.

Which way to turn.maybe our gig is simply the more ya do the less ya know ? Yes buddy very personal

boxing ongoing here mate LMAO still running rings around me :runaway:

Gav I know a couple or 3 folks that shoot hare regularly, with some form of passion.....all of em me included struggle with colour.frankly bro it would amaze me if you were different . Mate I agree utterly with the posts above your progress is super tis a joy to watch mate. I love how good you are mate. ( forgive me being serious for once kiddo)

B and W doesn't really float my boat Gav , to me you are maybe dodging the fight most of us have . That said with B and W not really being my thang it's damn hard being objective so take that on board or with a pinch of salt.

Mate simply be you keep pushing ,my personal take is keep fighting with colour it's not shooting early in the day Gav it's happening through the day tis light the season the green of grass the brown of a hare . The whole shebang is transient

Bud late afternoon 2 days back I crawled up to a hare she sat there never moved, ( OK maybe she turned slightly to stare me out) in that hour the sun shone liight was a tad harsh it went too dark, at times the the light was subtle and lovely, the wind howled it rained hard, I look at those frames and they floor me.

Which way to turn.maybe our gig is simply the more ya do the less ya know ? Yes buddy very personal

boxing ongoing here mate LMAO still running rings around me :runaway:
Thank you, Stu (y)
All the above images where taken early hours under thick grey cloud, stupid ISO's, colours seem lacking and 'cartoon' like if thats the right way to discribe them, I've not seen sun at the weekends for feels like months, had some sun yesterday out with the feathered beasts so that was nice :LOL: just need sun when I find the Hares again!
I'm not dodging any fight, it's making me want to do better ;):LOL: I'll never be happy! :LOL:

When they are running rings round you, that is the best... not so much for the image making though :LOL:

Can't wait for it to dry out here and hopefully they'll return to the open.

Last edited:
Wonderful series, they work in b&w for me. #2 looks mighty pi$$ed off with something!

I know never being happy Gav, maybe dodging the fight was harsh soz bro it ain't meant that way I just understand what you are struggling with tis all, my bad me humbles buddy.I try to be honest but don't always find the right words

Since writing I've been looking at those pics I mentioned,how the light shifted and how the colours shift.getting what the camera records to where reality is can be so so hard mate.

LMAO you and me on the rain I look more like a brown dirty dish cloth than a tree after a sortie it's not good is it.

Mind it could be worse I came back after a cracking roe sortie and wasn't allowed in the house a couple of years back, was drenched to the skin litterally wringing wet lol took some of me fav roe images and frankly couldn't even see an eye, view finder and specs steamed up

it can always be worse buddy :ROFLMAO:

Wonderful series, they work in b&w for me. #2 looks mighty pi$$ed off with something!
Thank you.
He was fed up with the berk following him and getting in his way :LOL:

I know never being happy Gav, maybe dodging the fight was harsh soz bro it ain't meant that way I just understand what you are struggling with tis all, my bad me humbles buddy.I try to be honest but don't always find the right words
No worries, Stu, you'll have to say much worse to upset me :LOL:(y)
(I know what you ment :) )

Since writing I've been looking at those pics I mentioned,how the light shifted and how the colours shift.getting what the camera records to where reality is can be so so hard mate.

LMAO you and me on the rain I look more like a brown dirty dish cloth than a tree after a sortie it's not good is it.

Mind it could be worse I came back after a cracking roe sortie and wasn't allowed in the house a couple of years back, was drenched to the skin litterally wringing wet lol took some of me fav roe images and frankly couldn't even see an eye, view finder and specs steamed up

it can always be worse buddy :ROFLMAO:
:ROFLMAO: some of the looks I get on the walk home are great, I'm wearing green camo smeared with wet mud at the minute:LOL:

I keep revisiting images, one day I'll crack it ..

Cheers Stu

Great pictures, I really like the first one in the originals the best.
Cheers Keith.

Last edited:
"Excellent" set of wildlife style captures Gave, liking all of these very much. They also work very well with the mono presentations.

I prefer your colour ones but these do make a change and are excellent in themselves. Well done Gav :D

Bud I know I didn't upset ya it aint that tis if ya say sommit that isn't really what ya were trying to get out then I have to own that and say soz. It's wot I'd do looking ya in the eye a forum aint no different, leastways to me.(y)

Tell ya what made me giggle though:D everyone else like's ya B and W mate...there is always one aiin't there :runaway:

TGIF ( thank G it's friday) you out at the weekend buddy.?

I'll stop derailing ya thread now I'd get me coat and see meself out.............. but again it's like a rummin dishcloth :headbang:

take care matey all the luck

TGIF ( thank G it's friday) you out at the weekend buddy.?
At this rate I'll need waders and arm bands on :LOL: it's a bit damp here at the minute.

There's always one, but life would be boring if we all liked the same thing, I prefer the colour but I like buggering about with new things ;)

I really like all the images you've posted in this thread @Gav-canon. I would never have thought to convert to B&W and think it makes a nice change. I'm sure they look good in colour too :)

I really like all the images you've posted in this thread @Gav-canon. I would never have thought to convert to B&W and think it makes a nice change. I'm sure they look good in colour too :)
Thank you, I like to try new takes on things :)

I have a few on my Flickr if you want to see some in colour. One of my favorites is this one before B&W tinkering

crop in
by Gavin Wickham, on Flickr

I really like these photos. They look somewhat clearer in B&W.

While the B&W ones are a great set, I have to say that I prefer the colour version.

Back