back button focus

I switched over too, giving it a try albeit not in sports (dont ask) and was confuddled when I handed my camera to the wife to take a pic of me and my auntie - she said its not working ...... took me a few moments to realise why and how to switch it back for the normal folk :)

Having always used Nikon, and been able to select a different focus point very quickly, and knowing (possibly unlike a Canon) that it will be as good at focusing as the centre point, is why I don't see its advantages.

well i can change focus point very easy on my canon.. just a nudge of my thumb .. back button for me as my keeper rate is up re OOF shots that must be happening as suggested elsewhere in this thread that when tracking a subject and trying to keep focus with half press but not full press is hit and miss.. using back button i dont have to worry how far pressed down or worry about shooting when i dont want..

also as said.. if it doesnt do anything for you then dont use it :) others like myself find it much better.. others dont.. ..just the way the world is :)

I have started to use it on my 5D MK II. I find it far better having it seperated. Question though.

If I focus and recompose slightly, do I have to hold the back button down or can I press it move the camera a bit and everything is fine?

Also, can it be used shooting moving aircraft, birds etc with AI servo for example.

If I focus and recompose slightly, do I have to hold the back button down or can I press it move the camera a bit and everything is fine?

Point at something and press the back button to obtain focus
Let go of back button and move the camera to point to somehting else and shoot.. focus is still where you set it ..

Also, can it be used shooting moving aircraft, birds etc with AI servo for example.

Perfect for that.. where you would be tracking a bird half pressing the shutter.. trying not to let it up or fully press it.. with back button no worries.. just press and track...

just figured this out last week , wont be going back . as already said makes a huge difference for moving objects wish I had RTFM months ago and made the changes months ago

I didn't know there was any other way shooting ;).....good to hear you like the BF button Tony (y)

I might as well chip in here. Just wanted to say that I knew of the BBF since I got into Canon and even though I knew the advantages I never felt that they were such that demanded me leaving my comfort zone (using half pressed shutter to focus) and venture into it. Heck I shot a few wildlife in flight too using the original method and in fact had actually forgotten about the BBF. But in the back of my mind I knew this is something that I needed to look into eventually.

Suddenly now that I have been shooting footie and other sports out of the blue the marvels of using BBF came to light and even though I haven't used it I am sold. I can get used to anything I put my mind to it if it brings any benefit or advantages and I can clearly see a whole host of benefits with this.

So many bonuses come with it. I can compose manually a landscape shot and just leave the lens on AF and as most of the times I use the 2sec timer to expose I can just do that without having to keep messing with the AF/MF button on the lens. And like the others have said I can just leave the setting on Al Servo and use the camera on ONE SHOT by just making use of the system.

So, to summarise it all.. I am a BBF chap from now on and tomorrow I will be putting it to use already on some sports I am photographing. Will just have to tie a string around my finger for the next few shoots to remind me that I can't focus with the shutter button :)

Thanks again to all who have contributed to this thread and to the OP

Amin

i use it. always.

i could never go back to half press for focus. ugh, it's horrible. just use it for a week and see for yourself.

i can't explain how good it is.

I've done a little hunting around interweb, and it does seem to be born out of Canon cameras. Something to do with on one of the bodies it was difficult to select a different focus point?
Having always used Nikon, and been able to select a different focus point very quickly, and knowing (possibly unlike a Canon) that it will be as good at focusing as the centre point, is why I don't see its advantages.

Hey Ho, I like to be different :)

They introduced it back in 1989 on the EOS 630. Article here on BBF: http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2011/backbutton_af_article.shtml

I tried it one day last week, but all my photos were blurred ... I've realised I might have been doing something else wrong on that day, so will give it another go (y)

I tried BBF today on my D3S and so far am pleasantly surprised. Take a bit of getting used to at first but didn't take long to get the hang of it. I've not tried it yet shooting sport so can't comment on that yet.

Cheers

Converted (y)

1DIV settings,

Custom function 4: operation others

1/ Shutter button/AF-On button, set this to No2 - Metering start/Meter + AF start

On my Mk III I had it set on No 0 - Metering start + AF Start.

I am now changing to as above and see how I get on.

Is this the consensus for Canon shooters?

OK been photogrpahing for many yrs so not a newbie.. but everyhting i did learn i learnt quite slowly and with a lot of learning by mistakes... I aint the quickest at picking things up but I do get there in the end...

Guessing this question will be watched by others:)

Back button as focus....

How.. settings on a 1dmkII/IV

Why

Walk through how you use it in various situations.. when to press and not press.

I've set both my 1D and 5D2 like this... I can't shoot any other way... There are a few reasons for doing it...

When you use the front button, and you depress the shutter half way, this activates the focus if you're in Ai, but it locks the exposure.
If you are shooting a football match for example, this is no good because you're following the subject around and lighting conditions can change in an instant.
I use the back button to focus, and the exposure is only locked the instant I depress the shutter button....read your manual, it will tell you how to do it and why.... if you don't have the manual, you can download the .pdf file from Canon...
Once you get used to it, you will see why every sports pro around the world do it that way....

Last edited:
I've set both my 1D and 5D2 like this... I can't shoot any other way... There are a few reasons for doing it...

When you use the front button, and you depress the shutter half way, this activates the focus if you're in Ai, but it locks the exposure.
If you are shooting a football match for example, this is no good because you're following the subject around and lighting conditions can change in an instant.
I use the back button to focus, and the exposure is only locked the instant I depress the shutter button....read your manual, it will tell you how to do it and why.... if you don't have the manual, you can download the .pdf file from Canon...
Once you get used to it, you will see why every sports pro around the world do it that way....

cheers but that was over 3 mths ago thanks.. been using it for ages now as the thread shows:) and i can assure you not every sports photogrpaher uses or even likes it

Last edited:
I was using it, but then it got really cold and I couldn't feel the button thru my gloves or when my thumb was numb, so I switched back to using the shutter button.

Going to go back to it now tho, well that is until it get really cold again!

Since switching to this method a few months ago, I haven't switched back.

The only disadvantage I found is when shooting with the camera in portrait orientation, because I look through the viewfinder with the "wrong" (left) eye, my forehead gets in the way of the back button. I've had to train myself to use the other eye, which although isn't quite second nature yet, isn't far off.

Since switching to this method a few months ago, I haven't switched back.

The only disadvantage I found is when shooting with the camera in portrait orientation, because I look through the viewfinder with the "wrong" (left) eye, my forehead gets in the way of the back button. I've had to train myself to use the other eye, which although isn't quite second nature yet, isn't far off.

Use the other AF-ON button meant to be used in portrait mode. (y)

Edit: just noticed you shoot with a 30D

I converted both my D3s & D3 to back button focus only (a5) for my Rugby League game at the weekend, & after a short while i really got on with the settings:). I missed a few due to pressing the shutter release for focus & getting nowt for a while but I deffo think it's better for sports where players move unpredictably across the frame.(y). Kind regards Graham.

Use the other AF-ON button meant to be used in portrait mode. (y)

Edit: just noticed you shoot with a 30D

Yea, that's right - the 30D only has the one alternative button for focussing. If I'm still not used to using my right eye in a few weeks then I'll get a battery grip with the extra buttons (..or upgrade to a 1D, but I really need to get a fast zoom lens first - my lenses are currently my most limiting factor).

Last edited:
Yea, that's right - the 30D only has the one alternative button for focussing. If I'm still not used to using my right eye in a few weeks then I'll get a battery grip with the extra buttons (..or upgrade to a 1D, but I really need to get a fast zoom lens first - my lenses are currently my most limiting factor).

What lenses you using ZoneV

What lenses you using ZoneV

The collection is very modest at the moment, Gary. In the bag are a EFS 18-55 IS, EF 70-210 F4 (old pre-digital push/pull model from the late 80's) both of which I bought around the same time as the 30D, just over a year ago, and my most recent lens (and favourite) which I use mostly these days, a EF 50mm 1.8 II.

I don't like complaining about my kit but I used a Sigma 120-300 2.8 recently to shoot a rugby match (pictures are up here somewhere) and it blew me away. I really want a nice, quality fast zoom now. :bang:

Last edited:
Hah, I just knew my lens collection would stun everyone into silence. :cool:

I've gone over to BBF recently, and after a lot of experimentation have it set up on C1 and C2. On AV I have kept the default shutter release setting, as sometimes this does what I need, although I rarely use it now as C1 and C2 are effectively AV with different BBF set ups.I have C1 set for ONE SHOT focus + single frame + BBF, and C2 set for AI SERVO focus + 6fps + BBF. So basically one click of the dial for static or moving subjects. I find it intuitive to use the right hand button for auto focus point if needed, and the joystick to manually select a focus point if that is needed. I use the * button to focus. All of this means that my thumb takes care of focussing and my index finger metering and shutter release.This all works for me and may not suit others, but of course that's the beauty of customisation, getting the camera to to what YOU want it to do.

Magrius

Thanks for mentioning that. It reminds me I want to set-up the custom settings.

I switched to BBF a while ago at the suggestion of dubcat.

I really like it for tracking moving objects....

I even use it for Macro/closeup with my 100mm L IS and the number of sharp shots has shot up :)

Last edited:
I have only just started using it...I find very useful...Especially when shooting cricket..Focus(BBF) , Wait then Shoot...

I have it set on the MKIV's to start Focus and also Metering.... I can then guarantee the exposure should I change subject during a match.

The only issue I had when I started to use the BBF option was forgetting to re-focus when I changed subject....But now it has become second nature.

Have been using BB Focus for a while and switching between single shot and AI Servo as needed.
Been thinking.. BB Focus and leaving it on AI Servo... I can just push the button for a moment to lock focus and release if I dont need AI Servo, but then if I do encounter something moving I can push and hold... Can anyone see any issues with doing this in normal usage?

Thanks,
Sam

Have been using BB Focus for a while and switching between single shot and AI Servo as needed.
Been thinking.. BB Focus and leaving it on AI Servo... I can just push the button for a moment to lock focus and release if I dont need AI Servo, but then if I do encounter something moving I can push and hold... Can anyone see any issues with doing this in normal usage?

Thanks,
Sam

That's the point of BB focus. (y)

I generally alternate between back button and shutter button for focus. It depends on what I'm shooting. If it's football or rugby, I'll use the shutter button as it's one less button to press and possibly miss and muck up a shot. Using Canon 1D's by the way.

However, often during a game I'll be after a different sort of shot which requires composition of the subject off to one side (e.g. a manager shot). To do this I'll either quickly move the focus point using the joystick, or if I'm going to do a series of shots or spend a bit of time on that subject I'll switch to back button focus which I've got set in the "favourite" menu.

If I'm doing non-action sport I'll tend to always use back button focus as I'll be composing in all sorts of weird ways.

Of course, On the M9 it's all manual and twiddling of the focus ring is involved, which is actually quite nice.

Thanks for that link above. That was really helpful as I've always wondered what it's for but never really understood it.

Now to learn and test it out. Cheers

So what did that link tell you which wasnt said in much more detail on this thread without the Spam element.

Ooops that was meant to be :plus1:

So what did that link tell you which wasnt said in much more detail on this thread without the Spam element.

One hell of a lot less actually. There's no mention of separation of focus and metering, and he also forgets the bit about older cameras where you transfer AF to the AE lock button.

Poorly written, only half the topic covered and uninspiring.

Well to be fair I only quickly clicked on the link and haven't read through the rest of this topic to see what's been said.........however now I've got time and away from work let the thread reading start! :| haha

Back