Bargains Thread

...and it's 1/5 of my weekly pension :jawdrop:

Blimey thatss quite rich by some folks standards Bri........It's 1/6 of my total weekly income so pensions aren't so bad really ;)

Last edited:
Odd with 7dayshop......I thought in for a £ in...... and ordered Ektar, well thought I'd get a packet of sr44 batteries at the same time and was a good price @ under £22 for the lot, anyway on checkout the cheapest del was £1.49 BUT if you just order the film it's free.

I presume "Orange items are dispatched outside EU. VAT not applicable. Delivery inclusive (3-5 days)" on 7dayshop means you get slapped with the £8 Royal Mail fee and import VAT?

I presume "Orange items are dispatched outside EU. VAT not applicable. Delivery inclusive (3-5 days)" on 7dayshop means you get slapped with the £8 Royal Mail fee and import VAT?

I've not had that happen in the dozens of times I've used 7ds, hopefully this wont be the first time. :eek:

There's a threshold below which they don't bother. I think @Strappy had chapter and verse?

And if anyone is after Tri-X in 135 format, Calumet is selling it for £5 a roll including postage. I haven't seen it lower than this: https://www.calphoto.co.uk/product/Kodak-400TX-Tri-X-135-36-Film/153-258H

Edit: T-Max 400 is £4.50, T-Max 100 is £4 and Ektar is £6 for 36 exposure rolls. All good prices and cheaper than Amazon.
Was just about to point out T-Max is cheaper at WEX by 1p, but just checked and the prices have gone up. T-max 100 is slightly cheaper at 7dayshop if you buy packs of 5.

£5 a roll for tri-x including postage is good. Lomography shop is £4 a roll but postage is £5 so it's good for bulk buying :) They often seem to have good prices. Fuji Superia 400 is cheapest in the 3 pack from amazon. (£12)

Why does it have to be so far away :-(

I think it's called Sod's Law? If it's not the distance, it's often a case of '£2 too short or 2 mins too late'! Or just as bad, the voice that says "You've got enough stuff". :coat:

Last edited:
If anyone spots a Paterson 3 reel tank at a bargain price then please shout. Somehow managed to get a longitudinal split in mine which extends the whole length down the tank! :eek::crying:

If anyone spots a Paterson 3 reel tank at a bargain price then please shout. Somehow managed to get a longitudinal split in mine which extends the whole length down the tank! :eek::crying:
Just to confirm, Is that the one that will hold 2 x 120 spools or 3 x 35mm spools at a time?

I suspect that you're quite desperate for a replacement.

I believe that I may have a spare but postage from here aint gunna make it a bargain for you, however my mother is coming out so could return to the UK with it and post onto you with snail mails cheapest tarif...It won't be till the end of march though.

Just to confirm, Is that the one that will hold 2 x 120 spools or 3 x 35mm spools at a time?

I suspect that you're quite desperate for a replacement.

I believe that I may have a spare but postage from here aint gunna make it a bargain for you, however my mother is coming out so could return to the UK with it and post onto you with snail mails cheapest tarif...It won't be till the end of march though.

Thanks for the kind offer Asha :) As you guess I need it fairly quickly as I use it with my Mod54 and I want to try and enter as many FPOTY months as I can on LF.

I'm going to try and contact Paterson directly and see if they can sell me just the main tank part without the other parts that come with it, but if not then I might have to get the wallet out and get a complete new one. That's if the moths haven't eaten what money is left in there :D

Thanks for the kind offer Asha :) As you guess I need it fairly quickly as I use it with my Mod54 and I want to try and enter as many FPOTY months as I can on LF.

I'm going to try and contact Paterson directly and see if they can sell me just the main tank part without the other parts that come with it, but if not then I might have to get the wallet out and get a complete new one. That's if the moths haven't eaten what money is left in there :D

Turns out I have the one 3 reel tank with the mod 54 , a 5 reel , and two 2 reel tanks, the latter being the "spare" I was offering, but it is no good anyway......sorry.

If you have another tank that doesn't accept the mod54, you may be able to fit sheet film in it as tacos ( gently "fold" the film over with the emulsion side inwards and hold in place with an elastic band.

It was my method for obscure sizes of sheet film and still is for whole plate ( jence why I possess the huge 5 reel tank!

well spotted Mr Grant

and this

http://www.firstcall-photographic.co.uk/paterson-developing-tank-multi-reel-8/p815

I use the one in between, a 3 x120 tank
Although I like big, I think the 5 x 120 is a bit too much of a beast, apart from the potential of cocking up 5 rolls in one go..:confused:... it must be a bit of a lump to invert 4 times every minute with 2.5 litres of chems sloshing about in it, not to mention the jug orgy required to mix it all.
Speaking of jugs, I've tried all sorts and its a good idea to choose a size big enough but not so bonkers big that its a fight to use.
Without going Stainless, these 2.2lt Stewart plastic jugs are bonza, a country mile better than wibbly wobbly asda jobs, lighter than stainless/glass and cheaper than Patterson..:)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262294864844?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

in fact, I'm gonna buy that ^ right now cos its the last one.....:whistle:

I only mention jugs because with bigger tanks, its a bit of a faff mixing chems across 2 jugs, and if you keep dev jugs separate from fix jugs, the 1ltr jug count starts getting daft.

Last edited:
... it must be a bit of a lump to invert 4 times every minute with 2.5 litres of chems sloshing about in it

:D It's a 5 x 35mm reel tank but nonethelss it's still a liter and a half of soup which I don't usually invert, instead using the plastic twiddler / turny thingy to agitate with
It rarely gets used for 5 roll films as i generally prefer to soup no more than two films together for fear of stuffing them although it has been handy on occasion for three 120 rolls

First time on here in a while and by some coincidence I may well have one of these, Carl. I managed to crack the funnel shaped part on one of mine and bought another. If I can lay my hands on it, and it's the right one, you're welcome to it for the cost of postage.

There's a threshold below which they don't bother. I think @Strappy had chapter and verse?
There's no import duty on items where the value (not including transport costs and insurance, etc.) is under £135, on camera gear duty is usually around 6.7% of the item's value. VAT of 20% applies to items valued over £15 and what's even more fun is it's calculated on the value of the items, the shipping costs, insurance and any import duty you've already been charged. o_O

Long story short, if it's under £15, no further charges apply otherwise time to get out the calculator. I remember ages ago when I put in a big order with 7dayshop I received a number of small packets, the value of each being under the VAT threshold. I suspect that loophole's been closed though.

Source.

There's no import duty on items where the value (not including transport costs and insurance, etc.) is under £135, on camera gear duty is usually around 6.7% of the item's value. VAT of 20% applies to items valued over £15 and what's even more fun is it's calculated on the value of the items, the shipping costs, insurance and any import duty you've already been charged. o_O

Long story short, if it's under £15, no further charges apply otherwise time to get out the calculator. I remember ages ago when I put in a big order with 7dayshop I received a number of small packets, the value of each being under the VAT threshold. I suspect that loophole's been closed though.

Source.

Thanks for explaining that Dean, it's thrown some light on the fees I've incurred on a couple of purchases that I've made in the past

@excalibur Didn't you recently place an order with 7 day shop and receive the items in more than one package?

I know that when I bought film from them a few years ago, I received 4 separate packets....iirc they all valued less than the equivalent of £15
'

I recently ordered the 3 lots of the 5 rolls of tmax 100 from 7ds. Came in 3 separate packs with customs declaration saying £15 even though it cost slightly more. Strange thing is I'm sure the country it came from was within Europe. Oh well, no additional charges so I'm happy.

My 7dayshop film has been coming from Holland, so there's no VAT or duty to pay.

Is this any good mate? I'm not sure if it's a 3 reel tank or 4 but it might be what you need;

https://www.gumtree.com/p/video-camera-accessories/film-processing-tanks/1213902716

Sorry Steve, thought i'd replied to you! Looks like there are a couple smaller ones (maybe 2 reels) and a huge one ( 5 reels??), but not three. That's a pretty good deal for anyone that's looking to get into film developing though!

First time on here in a while and by some coincidence I may well have one of these, Carl. I managed to crack the funnel shaped part on one of mine and bought another. If I can lay my hands on it, and it's the right one, you're welcome to it for the cost of postage.

Wow, thanks a lot, that's very kind! :) If you could find it then I'd love to have it. Is it the three reel Paterson one like this?

0173102_1317197588090.jpg

@excalibur Didn't you recently place an order with 7 day shop and receive the items in more than one package?

Got the 5 pack Portra and batteries and 5 pack Ektar in three seperate packages...but two separate orders Portra and batteries were together. It was all a bargain with 5% off and free delivery (y)

Wow, thanks a lot, that's very kind! :) If you could find it then I'd love to have it. Is it the three reel Paterson one like this?

I was sure it was one of this type like most of my others but having looked, it's an older Paterson system 4 like this:
Paterson-Tank-system-4-developing-tank-2-reels.jpg

Does the Mod54 fit into one of these? Maybe I could find a lid too, I have quite a few incomplete tanks.

Edit: Looking at the two of them I'm guessing not, the reels are the same but the height of them is different due to the lids. Sorry about that, best of luck finding one!

Last edited:
I remember ages ago when I put in a big order with 7dayshop I received a number of small packets, the value of each being under the VAT threshold. I suspect that loophole's been closed though.

I think 7dayshop used to be based in one of the Channel Islands, which was allowed to sell stuff VAT-free if below a limit (also £15?). That was closed some time ago and those businesses have now moved back to the UK, I believe.

I think 7dayshop used to be based in one of the Channel Islands, which was allowed to sell stuff VAT-free if below a limit (also £15?). That was closed some time ago and those businesses have now moved back to the UK, I believe.

..but as mentioned my stuff was sent from Rotterdam...but in their homes pages say
Deliveries from our UK Mainland Warehouses ....h'mm do they order a large quantity for their warehouse stock but split the order up to individual customers at the same time to save two delivery costs.....facinating how business works.

..but as mentioned my stuff was sent from Rotterdam...but in their homes pages say
Deliveries from our UK Mainland Warehouses ....h'mm do they order a large quantity for their warehouse stock but split the order up to individual customers at the same time to save two delivery costs.....facinating how business works.

Much as I enjoy reading through these random musings, does it actually matter?

For me personally, not in the slightest, however, maybe you'd be surprised how many people need to be aware what country their purchase is coming from or has been produced in.

Quite a laugh as I see people out here purposely paying more for what is essentially the same product because it has a French label attached....more often than not it symbolises nothing more than the fact that the product was packed in france after being imported....usually from China:ROFLMAO:

Everyone to their own I guess

:D
Well the moon is moving away from the earth at 3.78cm\year and the days are increasing by 19hrs every 4.5 billion years..does it matter but interesting anyway.;)

It matters when Royal Mail want to charge you tax and slap on top their own fee of £8 for doing everything for you :)

Back