Bargains Thread

DIY and save eight quid:ROFLMAO:
You can't unless you set up an arrangement with HMRC to hold goods in a bonded warehouse and deal with them directly. The carriers pay the tax charge for you as an unsolicited service, which they then charge you for. What's particularly galling is that you've paid a seller to deliver an item to your home address; their shipping payment covers door-to-door delivery but the carriers force you to come to their 'local' warehouse (when I lived in Scotland, CityLink's was 50 miles away) so that you can pay their fee for the service you never requested.

Royal Mail are the worst in my eyes because the eight quid charge is levied when the seller has sent an item for 48-hour delivery. If they've sent it 24-hour, which the ones I dealt with in Japan always did, RM charge £14.95. No one at the RM office could explain why this discrepancy exists. I'm only surprised that they haven't removed the lower fee yet. :shifty:

A question about the fairness of these charges was raised in Parliament a few years ago, before RM was privatised, and in response a bill was put through making them legal.

I ordered a lens from Japan which arrived in the UK 3 days after purchase. I then had to wait a further two weeks to get it from parcel fraud and then only after I phoned them to ask where it was, I then had to drive 15 miles each way to pay an extra £34 for a service they didnt provide i.e delivering the bloody parcel....:mad:

I was sure it was one of this type like most of my others but having looked, it's an older Paterson system 4 like this:
Paterson-Tank-system-4-developing-tank-2-reels.jpg

Does the Mod54 fit into one of these? Maybe I could find a lid too, I have quite a few incomplete tanks.

Edit: Looking at the two of them I'm guessing not, the reels are the same but the height of them is different due to the lids. Sorry about that, best of luck finding one!

Ahh ok, not to worry. Thank you anyway :)

Does anyone sell those grey plastic sealing rings for the System 4 Patterson Tank? The one I have seems to have shrunk slightly with age so tends to leak a bit. I plan to do some film processing again (for the first time since I was about 16!) once the weather gets bright enough to start using Acros 100 instead of XP2 400!

Last edited:
Does anyone sell those grey plastic sealing rings for the System 4 Patterson Tank? The one I have seems to have shrunk slightly with age so tends to leak a bit. I plan to do some film processing again (for the first time since I was about 16!) once the weather gets bright enough to start using Acros 100 instead of XP2 400!
Vaseline applied to the seal might help enlarge it/make it seal. If you were going to bin the seal anyway worth a try.

Thanks for the suggestion, I doubt it will enlarge the seal as it's a hardish plastic L-shaped profile ring that sits around the inside of the tank chamber, but I did wonder about a very light smear of Vaseline around the top lip of the tank and the top of the seal. I certainly won't be binning the seal, as it would leak like a sieve without it!

Gummiflage is supposedly the go to stuff for plumping seals back up to their proper shape. It's mostly used on car door seals.

I suspect stuff like that is designed to swell rubber type seals, which absorb a certain amount of liquid into their structure. With this being a hard, smooth plastic I doubt stuff like that would work, other than perhaps making the surface tacky. I did wonder if boiling the seal for a minute or two in a pan of water might expand it slightly, but knowing my luck it would shrink it even more!

I suspect stuff like that is designed to swell rubber type seals, which absorb a certain amount of liquid into their structure. With this being a hard, smooth plastic I doubt stuff like that would work, other than perhaps making the surface tacky. I did wonder if boiling the seal for a minute or two in a pan of water might expand it slightly, but knowing my luck it would shrink it even more!

If it's plastic then it's going to be no good. Time to get a replacement. It will probably crack next.

Lomography just put all their prices up after I put an order in recently. Just noticed some are currently cheaper via Amazon.

Ilford SFX 35mm 36 exp £6 per roll (increased to £8.50 on Lomography website).
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ilford-Bla...=merchant-items&ie=UTF8&qid=1487107801&sr=1-8

I don't use 120 but this seemed a good price.... Almost tempted to stock up and look for a camera to use it with.
Ilford HP5 120 £3 per roll (£4.90 on Lomography site).
https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/s2u/Ilfo...=merchant-items&ie=UTF8&qid=1487107801&sr=1-3

Edit: Just played around and found it gives free postage once you go over £75 like on the Lomography site.

Last edited:
Lomography just put all their prices up after I put an order in recently. Just noticed some are currently cheaper via Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ilford-Bla...=merchant-items&ie=UTF8&qid=1487107801&sr=1-8

I don't use 120 but this seemed a good price.... Almost tempted to stock up and look for a camera to use it with.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/s2u/Ilfo...=merchant-items&ie=UTF8&qid=1487107801&sr=1-3

Edit: Just played around and found it gives free postage once you go over £75 like on the Lomography site.

Lomography have always been very expensive for purchasing film (well, they are expensive for everything actually) and I would generally not recommend film purchases from them. Even in the example where they are charging £3 for the HP5, they are charging £5 for shipping. Once shipping is factored in, there are about 13 other sellers that are cheaper for HP5 on Amazon alone.

Last edited:
Lomography shop is hit and miss on pricing. They were doing Tri-X and Ilford films for £4 a roll which was massively cheaper than anyone else. They also do money off promos. Some of the time they're really good and other times they're terrible.

Lomography have always been very expensive for purchasing film (well, they are expensive for everything actually) and I would generally not recommend film purchases from them. Even in the example where they are charging £3 for the HP5, they are charging £5 for shipping. Once shipping is factored in, there are about 13 other sellers that are cheaper for HP5 on Amazon alone.
Order 25 rolls and shipping is free. Any less and you pay £5 flat shipping. Buying 1 roll not worth it I agree.

Last edited:
Lomography shop is hit and miss on pricing. They were doing Tri-X and Ilford films for £4 a roll which was massively cheaper than anyone else. They also do money off promos. Some of the time they're really good and other times they're terrible.

I guess I've never looked at the site at the right time. The best thing on the site is the Lomo LC-A 120, but it's questionable whether that deserves mention in the Bargains Thread.

Where's the best place for buying 5x4 colour sheet film at the moment?

As a freelance tog, is it not you who is supposed "to be in the know" and therefore informing us where the bargains are?:p;)

Where's the best place for buying 5x4 colour sheet film at the moment?
Any particular flavour colour sheet film Stuart?

As a freelance tog, is it not you who is supposed "to be in the know" and therefore informing us where the bargains are?:p;)

Haha, I've not shot 5x4 for a while and I've got a few boxes left but want to stock up so am completely not in the know for buying sheet film!

Any particular flavour colour sheet film Stuart?

I think either Ektar or Fuji 160NS they seem to still be readably available?

Fuji 160 NS can normally be had for a decent price. Try Bristol Cameras.

Sign up for a free 30 day trial of Amazon Prime and get free delivery. Then set a reminder on your phone to cancel it.

Sign up for a free 30 day trial of Amazon Prime and get free delivery. Then set a reminder on your phone to cancel it.
Only applies when Amazon themselves is the seller or providing the shipping. In any case it seems the prices have now gone up to match the prices on their own website.

Or if it's fulfilled by Amazon. I got stuff at Christmas from other sellers that had the Prime logo next to them in a day.

Or if it's fulfilled by Amazon.

Yes, that's exactly what @an1uk had said:

Only applies when Amazon themselves is the seller or providing the shipping.

Amazon don't fulfil Lomography's orders (i.e., provide the shipping), so Amazon Prime won't help in this instance, unfortunately, or I would probably have cashed in on Lomo's £3 HP5 roll offer myself.

Last edited:
Sorry I didn't follow the link so I didn't realise it was to their sale. I thought it was just a comparison of the two.

Silverprint are offering 10% off all film with the code FILM10 at checkout. Promotion runs from 1pm Saturday (today) to 11.59pm Monday. I haven't checked their prices against anyone else as I don't need any film right now but thought it might be useful to others.

More details.

7dayshop seems to be the cheapest for film (well e.g. 5-120 Ektar £23) and they seem to have free delivery (needs checking though).

First one gone already.

Back