Bargains Thread

There's an ilford 500 just up the road from me at 99p, it clocks out in 4 hours too, but I haven't posted that....:whistle:

2-3 miles from me, but just got rid of my enlarger recently as I'll never go back to the darkroom :(

Bid sniping
private listing - bidder identity protected £47.60 9 Jul 2017 at 6:26:59PM BST
private listing - bidder identity protected £46.60 9 Jul 2017 at 6:26:49PM BST
private listing - bidder identity protected £45.00 9 Jul 2017 at 6:26:58PM BST
private listing - bidder identity protected £38.00 9 Jul 2017 at 6:26:52PM BST

Fair point Nick. I guess I meant those who use them will already have one (or more!) and who would be looking for 1 nowadays.?
True, TBF if it was closer I'd probably add it to the collection.

I've been getting it wrong all these years, thinking the lens is important in the grand scheme of photography....

https://www.gumtree.com/p/video-camera-accessories/camera-/1254184124

"Camera working however lens is broken doesn't prevent the camera taking an excellent picture."

From the image, it looks like it could actually be a broken filter on the front but I just liked the hopeful description!

It may not be too hopeful - there was a site somewhere that showed the results of using a "lens" probably more broken than this one appears to be - and they were actually OK at the size shown.

Last edited:
The scratched/broken front element thing makes me smile a bit. I've found that it depends on the camera, type of lens and circumstances of use... I have a Sony video camera I use for work, which has quite a close focus on it, I picked up a used, genuine Sony wide angle converter lens (as a spare) which has a couple of small surface coating scratches on the centre of the front element. If pointed at a light source the scratches definitely show up as a light coloured dot on the image, and if there's a lack of background detail (such as a plain painted wall) the auto focus will lock on to the small scratch to the extent that not only can you see it clearly, you can also see the cleaning swirls on the surface of the lens coating too!

This doesn't matter to me as I use the camera for the 0 Lux IR night vision facility, not as a standard 'home movie' camcorder on a sunny day, so it won't show, particularly if I lock the focus off manually. However, if I'd wanted the converter for 'standard' type use and believed all the stories about front element scratches not making a noticeable difference, then I think I'd have been a bit disappointed there!

Last edited:
Hull
https://www.gumtree.com/p/video-camera-accessories/old-style-camera-/1255514251

The small detached black lens with the orange numbers - I think that's a Carl Zeiss Jena Flektogon 35mm 2.4, which has a great reputation (as well as being worth significantly more than £25 if the lens is in good condition).

Anyone up Hull way go for it.....as it does look like a Flek, the 135mm lens I don't think is a Sonnar but still good, and it probably includes a 50mm Tessar f2.8 lens which is good. But check for sticky iris's (common fault) and fungus.

Need to buy a teleportation device to get to all these far flung places [emoji23]

You have to be lucky where you live as the infrastructure of the UK is so bad it's sometimes not worth while traveling for a bargain...the worst must be to get from one side of London to the other.

Need to buy a teleportation device to get to all these far flung places [emoji23]

I reckon the Royal Mail should cover Hull by now ;0)

Then again, it's amazing (and annoying) how many people advertise gear on an online sales site like Gumtree and refuse to post it, even when the buyer offers to pay the postage cost. Really does my head in!

Then again, it's amazing (and annoying) how many people advertise gear on an online sales site like Gumtree and refuse to post it, even when the buyer offers to pay the postage cost. Really does my head in!

Generally it seems to be a 'can't be arsed' thing. They've inherited or found something and think they can make a few quid but won't put any effort in. Same on ebay with some of the diabolical photos of kit and perfunctory and worse than useless descriptions. I just ignore anything from anyone who 'can't be arsed'. :D

I think that sellers on gumtree are worried that they don't have the same protection that they would have if they sell on eBay. Or at least the perceived protection that they think it offers. I know that plenty of people have moaned about how little consideration eBay and PayPal give to the seller if the buyer puts in a complaint.

I think that if an eBay description states 'not been tested', one can safely assume that it has been tested and doesn't work.

......before the guy considers post someone would have snap it up with a visit, also if willing to post it could be the visitors found fault with the equipment and he can't sell it....as Caveat emptor on gumtree.

I appreciate this thought, and I used to think much the same when my post office was basically down the road from me - now that my post office is quite a bit further away, I do understand why people are reluctant to post. Especially when they just want a few quid to make it disappear from their house!

I appreciate this thought, and I used to think much the same when my post office was basically down the road from me - now that my post office is quite a bit further away, I do understand why people are reluctant to post. Especially when they just want a few quid to make it disappear from their house!

Yeah, I'd agree with that. Getting the PO can be a pain so I understand the reluctance if it's not worth peoples' while doing it. I also think that some people don't realise that Gumtree can be searched nationally so they assume everyone is a local buyer.

I've had some good purchases from Gumtree though so it's always worth asking the question of postage.

Speaking of which,

Agfa Rondinax 35U - Looks unused from the picture - £40 in Banbury

https://www.gumtree.com/p/video-camera-accessories/agfa-rondinax-35u-developing-tank/1254495720

Mamiya M645 / 80mm 2.8 / WLF - Dent in the filter ring and bit of a vague description but could be a good deal - £120 in London

https://www.gumtree.com/p/non-digital-cameras/mamiya-645/1254432560

The Mamiya 645 I brought recently was certinaly a bargain then I paid £100 with some film a light meter and hard case! (posted about it in the new toy thread)

There has got to trust on both sides for posting as I would want the goods first before parting with any money... and what do you do, send a parcel stamp to the seller. If you post money first and live a long distance away, would you travel the distance to complain about anything. esp if it's £25

Gumtree advises to always meet and not to buy from people by post; it doesn't have a seller rating system or guarantee like fleabay or here. Maybe it would be alright paying by Paypal...

I've posted it here in the hope that someone else buys it so I don't buy my 3rd M645 ;0)

I don't think it's necessarily a good deal. It's been up for 6 days, on one of the busiest secondhand websites, in the biggest city in the UK, and it's still up.

I don't think it's necessarily a good deal. It's been up for 6 days, on one of the busiest secondhand websites, in the biggest city in the UK, and it's still up.

Maybe people haven't seen it or are put off by the vague description of needing repair? I'm not asking them but I reckon they're referring to the dent in the filter ring.

Then again, I've got the alternative issue now. I've listed a couple of Sony E mount lenses and stated that I'm happy to post. Someone contacted me earlier this afternoon asking what my lowest price was, I replied within 2 minutes and I haven't heard back from them since...so annoying!

There has got to trust on both sides for posting as I would want the goods first before parting with any money... and what do you do, send a parcel stamp to the seller. If you post money first and live a long distance away, would you travel the distance to complain about anything. esp if it's £25

You can send money via Paypal as "payment for goods and services" which gives you some buyer protection. If you don't receive it, it's easier to start a claim than if you send it as "family and friends".

Back