Bargains Thread

Dang it, I was going to pick up some Portra 160 and 400 (I burn through it for portraits) and missed out on 7dayshop.

In all fairness to 7dayshop, the founders of the company came from Guernsey and set up their business there - sure, part of their success was the cheaper prices they could offer compared to UK companies, but they weren't there specifically because of the loophole.

Like the colour rendition especially in the second. What did you shoot it with.

Fancy having an experiment with film at some point.

Hello
It was Canon A1 (the best of the "A" series and the only one I would bother with) with Canon FDn 28mm f2.8.....common lens and quite cheap to buy.

Thanks. Something to try in the morning.

Probably should've done it there and then, no longer seems to be working. Ahh well, you win some you lose some. £16.29 for 5 rolls of Portra 160 is still great value so might still bite the bullet (y)

Ooohh if I was still using my cameras I'd have been on that like a tramp on chips...

Look what I found in the Canterbury Poundland this morning.

Don't ask the price.....

DSCF5133.jpg

JonathanRyan said:
Look what I found in the Canterbury Poundland this morning.

Don't ask the price.....

I buy five every time I go onto my local one :)

Now I don't want to come across as some sort of grumpy curmudgeon but I'm not sure a roll of Agfa Vista even if it does cost just a pound is any more of a bargain than when Poundland was selling that hideous Kodak film for a pound, it's ok for testing cameras but that's about it.

If I want accuracy I use 5d3.. I personally use my film cameras for a bit of light relief and I quite like the warmer colours and for a quid you can't go wrong....

Now I don't want to come across as some sort of grumpy curmudgeon but I'm not sure a roll of Agfa Vista even if it does cost just a pound is any more of a bargain than when Poundland was selling that hideous Kodak film for a pound, it's ok for testing cameras but that's about it.

Now I feel such an idiot for mentioning it.

Do you think I can get a refund?

Well new Agfa vista film is reckoned to be in between Fuji c200 and Superia 200...slightly more grain annoys me more than colours, although I have no idea if used for portraiture whether skin tones are nice.
Anyway I bought another 10 rolls (wrapped in lots of five) and was amused when the checkout girl said "do you know it's £1 each film and not £1 for the packet"

I have a load of it in the fridge and a roll in my F100 with lots of Brizzle shots on

It's a more than adequate film for a wide variety of uses. We hardly get any decent cheap 35mm film these days (especially one so readily available across town centres in the UK) so I'm certainly not going to criticise it.

We should have a mini Afga Vista challenge :) All those who have some shoot a roll in a week. Just for fun!

It's film, it's cheap, it's fun.

You grumpy buggers :p

Now I feel such an idiot for mentioning it.

Do you think I can get a refund?

Well new Agfa vista film is reckoned to be in between Fuji c200 and Superia 200...slightly more grain annoys me more than colours, although I have no idea if used for portraiture whether skin tones are nice.
Anyway I bought another 10 rolls (wrapped in lots of five) and was amused when the checkout girl said "do you know it's £1 each film and not £1 for the packet"

I have a load of it in the fridge and a roll in my F100 with lots of Brizzle shots on

It's a more than adequate film for a wide variety of uses. We hardly get any decent cheap 35mm film these days (especially one so readily available across town centres in the UK) so I'm certainly not going to criticise it.

All joking aside, it is a bargain of sorts, it does fill a gap in the market and it does have its uses. But I do worry that if someone decides to try using a film camera for the first time and grabs a roll of the Agfa or the Kodak stuff Poundland sell there is a chance that they will be seriously disappointed, IMO its colour rendition is pretty poor, its grain structure is unattractive and there does seem to be a colour cast not unlike Trueprint film from the 70's.

Having said all this I'm glad that the likes of Poundland are selling film on the high street, it's cheap, readily available and fine for snaps, camera testing and Lomo-style cross processing and all that type of malarkey.

We should have a mini Afga Vista challenge :) All those who have some shoot a roll in a week. Just for fun!

Now that is a good idea (y)

Could someone who has a roll of Vista+ at the moment do something for me? Could you give me the number beneath the bar code (where the film comes out) as I am interested in what film it actually is because Fuji coat all of AgfaPhoto's film except APX100 and that code will actually tell us what film it is because its a human readable version of the above barcode which identifies it to the processing machine so that it can be scanned and printed correctly.

If you stick the number into here:

http://www.imageaircraft.com.au/DXsim/

Then it tells you what is actually is - like I've just found out some outdated Photostop VXS200 I have is actually Konica Colour VX-S 200 from that number.

Could someone who has a roll of Vista+ at the moment do something for me? Could you give me the number beneath the bar code (where the film comes out) as I am interested in what film it actually is because Fuji coat all of AgfaPhoto's film except APX100 and that code will actually tell us what film it is because its a human readable version of the above barcode which identifies it to the processing machine so that it can be scanned and printed correctly.

If you stick the number into here:

http://www.imageaircraft.com.au/DXsim/

Then it tells you what is actually is - like I've just found out some outdated Photostop VXS200 I have is actually Konica Colour VX-S 200 from that number.

I can't get that site to work in Safari - but the code on the Vista+ I bought yesterday is 806254

My shot in the back to work challenge is on Agfa so I've started the ball rolling :LOL:

I stuck it in and it came up as unassigned, but according to it its a Fuji film as they 'own' the block that the codes in. The simulator has not been updated since 2004 so that may be a reason why.

However when I looked on the I3a's site (The ISO organisation who are responsible for amongst other things, the DX number system) and looked up the two DX code numbers that came out of the simulator, the official list identifies it as Fujicolour 200 so I think we might finally know what it actually is.

All of the Flickr chat I have seen about it identifies it as C200.

I asked about film in an Edinburgh Poundland the other day and they looked at me as if I was mad!

"We didnae sell that."

I bought some toothpaste and fig rolls instead. :(

My shot in the back to work challenge is on Agfa so I've started the ball rolling :LOL:

So's mine but it was shot on a Lomo and cross processed :D

Aha, I'd be up for that.

I picked up a couple of rolls when in Leeds which i haven't used yet and have a couple of cameras that need some testing doing on them.

Would be cross processed though as it doesn't sound worthwhile paying a lab for poor colour results.

I actually managed to get 10 rolls that were wrapped in cellophane for £1 !

You definitely can't go wrong at 10p a roll :LOL:.

Unfortunately when I tried it again a few days later it didn't work and I ended up buying another 10 for £10 (would have been too embarassing to say "no thanks, thought it was £1 for the pack of 10" !!).

I actually managed to get 10 rolls that were wrapped in cellophane for £1 !

You definitely can't go wrong at 10p a roll :LOL:.

Unfortunately when I tried it again a few days later it didn't work and I ended up buying another 10 for £10 (would have been too embarassing to say "no thanks, thought it was £1 for the pack of 10" !!).

:nono: :D

Just got some snaps back from Asda and the results are VG for a erm 10p film and goes nicely with my £8 ensinor zoom ;)

ensinor80-20085mm1000px2.jpg

Back