weekly Bebop's 52 for 2020 - week 52: Decor(ate)

I think that's a striking image. Good idea to monochrome the background.

I think that's a striking image. Good idea to monochrome the background.
Thank you Helen. It was almost there. I'll add original below.
I agree, that works well. it's not an in your face selective colouring so actually quite clever.
I do wonder if the post box could have been kept red? Dunno.
Oh it might have been nice if it was red, I agree. It might have balanced it nicely.
Here's a copy pre the colour processing. I kept it a bit wider in case I need to square it up, but I didn't really need to. Tempted to make it red now ha ha! :D

20200921-BCO30075-3.jpg

Artificial
I hadn't even noticed that the surrounding building was black and white. It's a nice colourful garland.

Week 39 Autumn and technique - artificial light

Beautiful sunny day outside, but I had decided to try and use flash for this one. Conkers from the tree that we planted when my son was born over 24 years ago.

Carefully ironed linen scrim underneath ha ha! This still life stuff is so tricky!! Hats off to all those who come up with creative compositions and then manage to execute them.

20201001-BCR_8213.jpg

Last edited:
I think that looks lovely - bang o theme and very rich in colour.

That's similar to what I had in mind for mine, but haven't left the house to go get any conkers...
Thanks Kell. The leaves were all wet when I collected them yesterday and it was my plan to spray them today, but the specular highlights made me think I wouldn't manage them ha ha!

Great shot and very good use of flash, (I never get on with flash).

That's a great autumn still life: conkers, leaves and good lighting..

Hi Bebop.

Great Image for autumn and the lighting is super. Great story to the tree as well.

Pete

Best of the conker shots :)

I love your autumn image, those colours are so rich and warm, bleddy fantastic!

Week 40: Wet

A phone pic today. My cat who won't come in after a trip to the vets this week for her vaccination. We keep opening the door :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Sadly we have to go back in weeks time, so she's not going to be happy about that.

I like the tear drop from her eye which I only noticed afterwards.

Note to self - must clean the windows :D

IMG_4932v11 copy.jpg

Excellent shot of the poor cat, looks like he’s plotting his revenge.

Awesome kitty pic. Definitely not a happy bunny :oops: :$

Good shot, great idea. I couldn't work out if it wouldn't come in, or wouldn't go out!

Lovely image, what a fantastic expression on the cat's face (if that is possible), and purrr-fect for the theme (sorry, couldn't resist) plus the mono pp works very well.

Week 39 Autumn and technique :-
I agree still life is a real PITA.
But it works very nicely for me Bee (y)

Week 40: Wet
Cruel person nothing to add
:D

Good shot, great idea. I couldn't work out if it wouldn't come in, or wouldn't go out!
She won't come in, but she has us jumping up to open the door for her - well trained!!
Lovely image, what a fantastic expression on the cat's face (if that is possible), and purrr-fect for the theme (sorry, couldn't resist) plus the mono pp works very well.
Ha ha! The mono was cunningly disguising some colourful reflections in the glass but ssssh don't tell anyone :)
Week 39 Autumn and technique :-
I agree still life is a real PITA.
But it works very nicely for me Bee (y)

Cruel person nothing to add
:D
I do feel cruel. We go through this every time she has to make a trip to the vets - she'll only come in when it gets dark :rolleyes:

Love the wet pic - nicely composed and works really well in mono.
You have my sympathies - my cat goes into major sulk when I take him to the vets and doesn't acknowledge me for days.

Autumn
I think you could have cropped a little off of the right. I do like the gold, brown autumn hue. You've controlled the highlights well.

Wet
Poor little pussycat. She does look like she's got her angry face on.
Nice idea you've come up with there, it works really well.

Autumn
I think you could have cropped a little off of the right. I do like the gold, brown autumn hue. You've controlled the highlights well.

Wet
Poor little pussycat. She does look like she's got her angry face on.
Nice idea you've come up with there, it works really well.
Thank you. I did close all the curtains and turn the flash power right down (whilst the sun was shining outdoors ha ha!). Your crop idea is interesting. I was sort of wishing I'd left the bit of wood out of it, and the linen scrim, but I was happy with the colours. I don't know how you come up with your lovely compositions - I think it's really tricky.

The cat photo was a quick grab shot with my phone. I thought why is she sitting there in the wet when she could come in to the dry, hang on wet.... grab the phone :D

Love the wet pic - nicely composed and works really well in mono.
You have my sympathies - my cat goes into major sulk when I take him to the vets and doesn't acknowledge me for days.
Thank you. She's still sulking and will now only enter the house after dark :rolleyes:

Lovely autumn conker. I wondered at first whether you were outside and cat was in as she doesn't look too wet..

Lovely autumn conker. I wondered at first whether you were outside and cat was in as she doesn't look too wet..
Thanks Phil. There is a little overhang so perhaps she wasn't too wet. She's still playing this not coming in game, and it's nearly two weeks since the visit to the vets :rolleyes:

That's three terrific pics that I've not commented on.

Love the idea and the processing of the shop window. One of the stand-out shots of the theme for me.
Autumn: Nicely framed and lit and despite the few colours in the shot, the conker really stands out.
Wet: Just an excellent pic. I feel sorry for the cat though!

Hi Bebop,

Autumn (and technique ;) ) - Lovely. You have that rich autumnal colour spot on (y)
Wet - you are certainly getting the evil eye there. One of our cats kept going out in all that rai, getting soaked, then drying himself off on us... The other one sensibly stayed indoors!

That's three terrific pics that I've not commented on.

Love the idea and the processing of the shop window. One of the stand-out shots of the theme for me.
Autumn: Nicely framed and lit and despite the few colours in the shot, the conker really stands out.
Wet: Just an excellent pic. I feel sorry for the cat though!
Thanks Pete. My commenting is always a bit random, so I never worry if I miss out on receiving them :)
That's very kind thank you. I was struggling a bit with artificial so I was very happy to spot the window. Yes the poor cat hasn't forgiven me :(

That's good, the tear is clever, I thought you had locked the cat out to make it look at you through the door.
Thank you. I only spotted the tear afterwards. Being a phone pic, I took a few as it was tending to focus on my dirty windows, so it was just lucky.

Hi Bebop,

Autumn (and technique ;) ) - Lovely. You have that rich autumnal colour spot on (y)
Wet - you are certainly getting the evil eye there. One of our cats kept going out in all that rai, getting soaked, then drying himself off on us... The other one sensibly stayed indoors!
Ha ha! Human cat towels. Thanks TIm. I was really pleased with the way the colour came out with the conker - just shows it's all about the light!
I'm still in the dog house with the cat - we had to flea treat her yesterday too, so she won't come near me today :(

Your artificial picture is the first example is a valid "colour pop" I've seen... Nicely done - the partial b&w works - as you say, it is pretty much monochrome already, and the intense colours in the creeper works very nicely against the background.

I rather like your autumn picture as well. A lovely back story, and the composition a lighting works together nicely for a beautifully warm and seasonal image.

Lovely humour in your rather charismatic and damp cat. I can feel the suspicion from here!

Back