weekly Bebop's 52 for 2022 - Week 52: Showcase

Well spotted. As others have said, great contrast and light. You chose the the right one.

I too like them both and I think the chosen one is the strongest of them. The combination of low angle, light on the tree and a dark sky makes for a lovely pic.

I have enough trouble choosing between my own shots so can't pick from your choices! Is the greenery at the bottom of the "naked" tree sprouting from the stump or just close to it?

Well spotted. As others have said, great contrast and light. You chose the the right one.
I like your chosen shot Bebop.
I too like them both and I think the chosen one is the strongest of them. The combination of low angle, light on the tree and a dark sky makes for a lovely pic.
I have enough trouble choosing between my own shots so can't pick from your choices! Is the greenery at the bottom of the "naked" tree sprouting from the stump or just close to it?
Thank you for your dropping by and your kind comments. It does feel a bit of a cheat to use my phone, but the camera you have with you and all that...

@Nod I think it is truly dead and the others springing up are new trees. There are quite a few dead ones and I think they may have been dead since the big storms in the 80s.

Reactions: Nod
Both nice but #1 has the edge. The light on the tree creates a lovely stark contrast with the background.

Two good images, but the one you picked for the main thread is a cracker. Great lighting on the tree or what's left of it and the moody sky makes the tree just pop.
Both nice but #1 has the edge. The light on the tree creates a lovely stark contrast with the background.
Thank you both kindly :) It was fabulous light and it faded fast, so I was rushing to get my phone out ha ha!

Kinda what I was hoping for for this weeks theme so jealous you found what I couldn't. Great image

Kinda what I was hoping for for this weeks theme so jealous you found what I couldn't. Great image
Thanks so much Scott. I was very lucky with the brief spell of lovely light and the stormy sky. It's a shame I didn't have my camera with me.... next time :)

Week 17: Hole

Last minute effort again. A slide for playing slide guitar.... I couldn't get rid of the dust :rolleyes: well I could clone it out, but cba at the minute

I took several with my coloured light and then decided I preferred the black and white rendition.

20220504-P5040009_1_week17.jpg

Last edited:
Well that’s different.
Yes the B/W with dark background suits the image.

Last edited:
Obviously love the subject, although never been able to play slide, but really like this shot. The processing is spot on, great lighting to add drama and spark to the image. Love it.

Works well, nice close up and the mono pp is good for the colour way

Lovely light you've captured and I don't think the dust spoils anything.

That works - got one around here somewhere :)

A great idea, and really nicely done. The dust on the inside adds to the idea of depth. I'd maybe lose the one big bit on the outside, but that would be enough.

I love the effect.

Clever shot. I had one for my guitar once but could never use it!

Well that’s different.
Yes the B/W with dark background suits the image.
Certainly works for me. Very well observed and executed.
Love it! B&W was definitely the way to go Bebop.
I like the low angle and mono processing. Great idea for the theme too.
Obviously love the subject, although never been able to play slide, but really like this shot. The processing is spot on, great lighting to add drama and spark to the image. Love it.
Works well, nice close up and the mono pp is good for the colour way
Lovely light you've captured and I don't think the dust spoils anything.
That works - got one around here somewhere :)
A great idea, and really nicely done. The dust on the inside adds to the idea of depth. I'd maybe lose the one big bit on the outside, but that would be enough.
I love the effect.
Clever shot. I had one for my guitar once but could never use it!
Original - I like it.

Thank you all for the kind comments. I might have a go at the dust one day :)

I need to spend some time going through everyone else's contributions as I haven't been around much this week.

@inView @-Oy- @SimonH I can't pretend it's mine, though many years ago I did have a go with my acoustic and some special tunings. My husband has a lap steel so has been revisiting playing it during covid. I'd forgotten how much I used to enjoy listening to people like George Thorogood.

Week 18: Sunrise/Sunset

Not a great pic, but on theme.... there might have been just a little tinting of the sky :D I tried cropping various bits but it just looked unbalanced.

Half time at a big island match last night. Taken with my phone and processed in Capture One

20220510IMG_7401-week18.jpg

As a regular football match attendee, this reminds me of the evening matches I go to (albeit in a slightly bigger stadium). Nice atmospheric shot, no on theme.

As a regular football match attendee, this reminds me of the evening matches I go to (albeit in a slightly bigger stadium). Nice atmospheric shot, no on theme.
Thanks. Sometimes I get some beautiful golden light but it can make the players look like they have a liver problem :ROFLMAO:
Good perspective with the half circle. Fits the theme nicely.
Thanks Peter. I was a bit limited on compositional choices - just relieved there was a little break in the clouds really :)

I never expected to see a football match when this week’s theme was announced Bebop. Your pic works very nicely though and the sky is lovely.

That works for me... a nice sky and something different to the usual sunset shots.

I never expected to see a football match when this week’s theme was announced Bebop. Your pic works very nicely though and the sky is lovely.
Ha ha! Thank you. Well needs must. It's been pretty overcast here all week, but luckily there was a slightly more interesting sky :)

That works for me... a nice sky and something different to the usual sunset shots.
Thanks Helen. I often think I should be out doing a landscape when the light is so lovely during a match.

Nicely done - especially for a phone shot.

A day or so later and you could have used it for this week too...
Thanks Kell. The phone came in very handy at the end too when I needed to photograph the cup presentation and my flash and short lens were sitting at home - oops!

That's a good shot Bebop. Too bad you couldn't have gotten it this week for the current theme! Maybe you can recycle...

Good crowd at the match, some nice subtile colours.

Pete
Thanks Pete. It was a good sized crowd for around here :)

That's a good shot Bebop. Too bad you couldn't have gotten it this week for the current theme! Maybe you can recycle...
Ha ha! Thanks Bill. Yes I was a bit ahead of myself. Perhaps there will be more football this week. I was hoping for some wind and kitesurfers, but nothing yet.

Week 19: SPORT and technique MONOCHROME

I shoot quite a lot of sport usually, but not this week. So here are my old skates. I tried to add a texture and make them monochrome. It has turned out nothing like I wanted, but it has been an interesting exercise. I also gave myself a cricked neck as the only suitable hook was too high :ROFLMAO: Had to get a step in the end!
To me it really lacks contrast, but I think it's because I have used split toning to make the shadows and highlights the same colour.

I shall also add a shameless plug to a video underneath of someone 'close' to me (forgive the pun), who can skate on ice like I can only do in my head.

20220518-4757week19.jpg

and the video of some lovely skating to a lovely song...
View: https://youtu.be/86eivBsZ6O0

Not sure if closer is better?

20220518-BC134757_week19 3.jpg

Back