weekly Bebop's 52 for 2022 - Week 52: Showcase

I prefer the 1st, edited version. The strong highlight leads the viewer's eye around the wall and has that mystic, what's behind that wall? feel to it.
It was actually the wide angle sweep of the light that I liked, and you do lose that when I crop the sign out. If I go back and stand further back, I expect the light will be different anyway :rolleyes::)

I think your edited version would be my choice too with the strong shaft of light which leads the eye. It looks very pretty there.

I love how the sunlight draws you into the picture, you've captured it well.
I think your edited version would be my choice too with the strong shaft of light which leads the eye. It looks very pretty there.
Thank you both. I did find another version which I think was better afterwards, but along the same theme with that shaft of light. It is a pretty and well photographed alley.

Week 07: Heavy

My planned idea hasn't happened, so my fallback was the heavy seas we have had this week.
Hard to choose between them, but I think I will go with 'Hands up for stew'.

2022022115-24-22BCR_0340_1_week07.jpg

The other contenders...

20220218-BC130365_1_week07.jpg

and with the human element...

20220218-BC130443_1_week07.jpg20220218-BC130331_1_week07.jpg

Reactions: Nod
Great shot. Well done.
Fits the bill very well.
The last one is also good for the theme.

I like the chosen one (not to say that I don't like the others though!)

I think they had spotted you.

I prefer the first two shots, and actually like your second shot more for the theme - the way the light is being caught on the waves is fabulous (as it is in shot 1), but to be honest both images work really well

Great shot. Well done.
Fits the bill very well.
The last one is also good for the theme.
Thanks Peter - actually it's a Peter in the shot too :)

I like the chosen one (not to say that I don't like the others though!)

I think they had spotted you.
Thanks Nod (I did always wonder where Ethel came from by the way!) It's my husband - he always waves and I always miss it in the photo but don't tell him sssh! ;)

I prefer the first two shots, and actually like your second shot more for the theme - the way the light is being caught on the waves is fabulous (as it is in shot 1), but to be honest both images work really well
Thanks Simon. I almost went with the second one. Every now and then the sun would break through and it was glorious. I had it on -0.7ev, but it was still occasionally blowing the highlights.

Yep - that's the shot. What a nutter lol!

That's a great set Bebop. I like your choice for the challenge but, for some reason I can't put my finger on, #2 appeals to me the most.

That's a terrific set. I just prefer the first for the theme but I love the second one of the waves.

Week 8: Light

As light as a feather under a spotlight.

Undecided whether to leave the spotlight underneath in - either needs more or none, and could have done with a bit more depth of field, but this will have to do.

I tried a few colours which involved being something of a contortionist as the flex on the light was too short, so I had the extension lead under my arm and the trigger in my other hand and the remote to change the colours - I really should take up yoga :LOL:

20220302-BC130539_1_week08.jpg
20220302-BC130540_1_week08.jpg20220302-BC130549_1_week08.jpg

Oh, for me, no visible spotlight works better than more. It's the light on the light feather that works better (IMO) than the light lighting the light feather.

Oh, for me, no visible spotlight works better than more. It's the light on the light feather that works better (IMO) than the light lighting the light feather.
I'm inclined to agree. I was going for the blue one until I realised it was softer at the top. On the other hand I wasn't sure if it was a bit floaty without a spotlight underneath.

I remember that song, and funny I never remembered Ethel getting mentioned. Thanks for filling me in... now the mind boggles ha ha!!

i love the lighting against the black background ....idiot question does the spotlight have filters to produce the colour or do you post process the picture ?

i love the lighting against the black background ....idiot question does the spotlight have filters to produce the colour or do you post process the picture ?
Thanks. I bought the light on Amazon after borrowing my daughter's one. It has a remote control with about 12 colours on it, no filters - you can fade them and flash them too, but that's of no use for photography. The flex is ridiculously short, and my extension lead is a chunky one with power breaker ( not ideal! ). I seem to do an awful lot of faffing!!

The only processing I did was to darken the background a bit as it was in my kitchen which is not black! The spotlight is a bit small too, but I think if I had a stand I could move it away a bit.

Yes I think I agree with most of the opinions above. The blue shot is the one that I connect with.

Love the shot, the blue one works best for me with no spotlight under it but all very good. Really clever idea that i wished I could have stolen.

Yep that's a goodun! As for the colour - I like them all.

Nice shot - no spotlight for me, and the best colour chosen

I really like those.

Did you consider a triptych as your final image? I think they'd work well together.
Thanks Kell. Yes I did, and in fact thought about putting a 4th one in and doing a square when I couldn't decide on which colour. I thought it might look too small in the frame though - perhaps I'll give it a go!

My 'plan' had been to shine the light through the feather and do a close up macro, but I thought it was quite effective when I put the whole feather in the frame. I was also nervous about looking into the light, or having it hit the sensor directly.

Yes I think I agree with most of the opinions above. The blue shot is the one that I connect with.
Love the shot, the blue one works best for me with no spotlight under it but all very good. Really clever idea that i wished I could have stolen.
Yep that's a goodun! As for the colour - I like them all.
The blue one for me too, it’s a lovely colour. I like @Kell idea of a triptych.
Nice shot - no spotlight for me, and the best colour chosen
Thank you everybody! Blue seems popular :)
I was hand holding the light so that made a difference too to how it lit the feather. All an interesting experience.

Heavy - a fantastic set, real drama in those waves, nice job
Light - a great idea and lovely colours

Heavy - Great action shots, I don't think I would be brave enough to be anywhere near the water, it looks wild.

Light - I had a laugh at your description of trying to hold all the equipment, I've been there too. Your chosen one is my favourite, although a Andy Warhol style Quadtic (my made up word!!) could be interesting

Heavy - a fantastic set, real drama in those waves, nice job
Light - a great idea and lovely colours
Thanks Jim.

Heavy - Great action shots, I don't think I would be brave enough to be anywhere near the water, it looks wild.

Light - I had a laugh at your description of trying to hold all the equipment, I've been there too. Your chosen one is my favourite, although a Andy Warhol style Quadtic (my made up word!!) could be interesting
Thanks Stuart. Although the chap looks like he is standing at the sea wall, there is another walkway with railings a few metres away. You could get pretty wet though!

Yes Andy Warhol is what I was thinking of - I've no idea if there is a word for 4 pictures, but quadtic sounds good to me :)

Week 9: Damp

This morning I had a rather damp looking hare running towards me.
The water in the damp grass is more obvious in the first shot, and you can see he is rather damp, so I'll submit that, however many of my other shots were in better focus.

I later had a damp knee as I lowered myself hoping he was going to come my way again and I would have a better viewpoint... but he didn't... which was a bit of a dampener.
Is that damp enough not to be a shoehorn or do I need to try harder? :)

20220305-BCR_2012_1_week09.jpg20220305-BCR_2118_1_openWith_week09.jpg

That’s a lovely pic and meets the challenge very well.
Well worth a damp knee.

Back