Best shows on Prime/Netflix?

Started watching season 3 Mr. Mercedes. It's neither on prime not Netflix, maybe the title could be changed here to simply include new series in general? Also watched the first episode season 14 of it's always sunny in Philadelphia. For me the last of the better US comedy shoes without canned laughter.

Teaser Trailer went live yesterday for Stranger Things 4. Will likely be summer next year before the series is aired though.

Struggling with Umbrella Academy I must admit. Will see it through to the no doubt fully expected ending.

Always Sunny In Philadelphia is another series I forget to go back to. There's so many and I think it's still running.

Struggling with Umbrella Academy I must admit. Will see it through to the no doubt fully expected ending.

I can see why it wouldn't be for everyone. I thought I'd hate it because I'm not into the usual 'heroes' type series but I think was different and really enjoyed it. I hope there's a season 2 soon

Always Sunny In Philadelphia is another series I forget to go back to. There's so many and I think it's still running.

It's now one of the longest running US comedy series, season 14 just started. You could just jump into any season and go from there as there's no significant continuation. Bar last couple of seasons maybe. But it's a series that is very easy to binge watch so why not start where you left off ;)

Ok so Umbrella Academy wasnt the ending I expected, so better than I at first thought.

Soon the title of this will need to be amended to include the offerings from Disney and Apple.

If you change the title to 'Best streaming TV shows' then it makes it clear it's still all the streaming services and not the terrestrial TV (assuming you don't want that included).

Watched the first few episodes of this round of 'Rotten'. Nothing really surprising, I'm already off sugar, I stopped buying avocados because they're too expensive nowadays and I've always known bottled water was a scam. Bit I still watch these things to keep my anger levels topped up

Just finished season 1 of Raising Dion on Netflix, hoping there will be a season 2.

We've just started into the streaming thing after our cable provider (Spectrum) promised a low intro rate for two years that turned out to be for only 12 months by the way the sales rep wrote out the contract. Will be cord cutting soon. Planning on going with a Roku stick and signing up for Hulu live, no commercials. Will be less than what we are now paying for cable. Presently, we are exploring through Pluto, Sony-Crackle, and Tubi on our Windows 10 computer. Lots of interesting stuff, for us. Interesting read here on Prime and Netflix. Thanks for your opinions and experiences.

Dirty John seems to be fairly reasonable, starting to ratchet up tension now episode 3.

Netflix.

I finally done it, avoided like the plague [heh] because it felt like such a chore - went back to The Walking Dead ... I'd left off at S08E11 - just finished that season last night, it did actually pick up and get interesting again. It had gotten so boring in S08, well, actually it had gotten stale since S06 or so but I'm stuck for things to follow so gave it another go. Seeing the new season advertised recently put me back on it.

Last edited:
I finally done it, avoided like the plague [heh] because it felt like such a chore - went back to The Walking Dead ... I'd left off at S08E11 - just finished that season last night, it did actually pick up and get interesting again. It had gotten so boring in S08, well, actually it had gotten stale since S06 or so but I'm stuck for things to follow so gave it another go. Seeing the new season advertised recently put me back on it.

It goes up and down in quality a fair bit in later series, the earlier stuff was better IMO because the walkers still had shock value and the post-virus society was still being established. We’re right up to date with it and honestly thinking of abandoning it soon. The problem is the program really has nowhere to go now... it’s a constant rinse/repeat of happy settled community/new baddy/war/major characters die/happy settled community. The latest baddy is also pretty terrible and has zero charisma. Fear the Walking Dead is a much better series IMO but it’s hard to see how far that can progress too, as it’ll eventually suffer the same problem: a world full of zombies is actually fairly dull once you work out how to kill them.

Apparently there are a couple of WD spin offs in the works. A film featuring Rick Grimes and a teen-oriented series about youngsters trying to sort out the post apocalyptic world. Can’t see me watching either tbh.

Last edited:
I bought WD series 8 and yes got bored with it after 4 or 5 episodes. Wont be bothering any more I dont think.

It goes up and down in quality a fair bit in later series, the earlier stuff was better IMO because the walkers still had shock value and the post-virus society was still being established. We’re right up to date with it and honestly thinking of abandoning it soon. The problem is the program really has nowhere to go now... it’s a constant rinse/repeat of happy settled community/new baddy/war/major characters die/happy settled community. The latest baddy is also pretty terrible and has zero charisma. Fear the Walking Dead is a much better series IMO but it’s hard to see how far that can progress too, as it’ll eventually suffer the same problem: a world full of zombies is actually fairly dull once you work out how to kill them.

Apparently there are a couple of WD spin offs in the works. A film featuring Rick Grimes and a teen-oriented series about youngsters trying to sort out the post apocalyptic world. Can’t see me watching either tbh.

I think they've struggled with new ideas for a few seasons now, I've not read the books but I've seen people say that they strayed a lot from them, trying to stretch it out to suit tv format, which means many a bore-fest episode for us viewers. Take any of the individual character focused episodes where they concentrate solely on Carol or Daryl for example, whole episodes that could have been summed up in a 5 minute scene.

I tried FOTWD but gave up on that sooner, it just wasn't hitting the spot for me

I bought WD series 8 and yes got bored with it after 4 or 5 episodes. Wont be bothering any more I dont think.

I would at least finish out S08 and see from there, as some big stuff does happen in the later episodes.

I think they've struggled with new ideas for a few seasons now, I've not read the books but I've seen people say that they strayed a lot from them, trying to stretch it out to suit tv format, which means many a bore-fest episode for us viewers. Take any of the individual character focused episodes where they concentrate solely on Carol or Daryl for example, whole episodes that could have been summed up in a 5 minute scene.

I tried FOTWD but gave up on that sooner, it just wasn't hitting the spot for me

It’s strayed a long way from the books. It started with the Negan plotlinr but the scriptwriters seem to be pretty much doing their own thing now.

FTWD admittedly does take a while to get going, I found it slow to start too but it really picks up pace in Series 2. Has a good mix of characters and seems a bit more realistically plotted about how people would cope (well as far as any zombie program can be realistic :LOL:)

Well, exactly, we don't expect realism with these series, TWD is much more about survival and Man V Man - the walkers are just a inconvenience to them mostly, or they're useful for whenever the writers want to off a character :D

went back to The Walking Dead ... I'd left off at S08E11 - just finished that season last night, it did actually pick up and get interesting again.
I finished S8 a couple or so weeks ago, but now I'm expected to pay just short of 30 quid for S9 & S10 (each.)
Hopefully it won't be 2 long before they are free again ...
I was surprised the Rick let that "bloke" ;) live though.

I finished S8 a couple or so weeks ago, but now I'm expected to pay just short of 30 quid for S9 & S10 (each.)

S09 isn't worth paying for tbh, so when you can get it for free ... I binged through it out of boredom as anything else I'm watching atm is one per week - up to date on them which actually sucks at times - that and I don't watch any normal tv. I'm up to date on WD now too, have S10e04 ready to watch.

Last edited:
S09 isn't worth paying for tbh,
Thanks for the heads up (y)

that and I don't watch any normal tv.
Hardly ever here also, unless there is a decent film on, which is very rare these days,
Its all, I'm a wanna be celebrity get me in that f*****g jungle
Or cake baking on ice
Britain's got talent? I thought that was a comedy programme ..
After watching part of it, I guess I was right, even though its not funny :(

Thanks for the heads up (y)

Hardly ever here also, unless there is a decent film on, which is very rare these days,
Its all, I'm a wanna be celebrity get me in that f*****g jungle
Or cake baking on ice
Britain's got talent? I thought that was a comedy programme ..
After watching part of it, I guess I was right, even though its not funny :(

One of my daughters watches all of those atrocious programs - I steer well clear, but ... she did rope me in to watch Goggle box, both the Irish and UK versions - it's become a tradition since they began though I'd say more of a chore for me. It's the only thing we watch together so I suffer through for her really, and it is the only time I have to endure those crappy 'reality' shows, in the snippets on there. At least I get out of having to watch any full episodes

she did rope me in to watch Goggle box,
I caught part of that once, channel hopping and thought seriously? WTF?
A programme about people watching TV.
That really is the bottom of the barrel I'm sure the programmers ( on all sides) are on a mission to see exactly how much crap the
populace will continue to watch.... :(

In 1979 Pink Floyd released the album "The wall"
One line in there holds true today!

I got thirteen channels of s*** on the T.V. to choose from ♪♪

I caught part of that once, channel hopping and thought seriously? WTF?
A programme about people watching TV.
That really is the bottom of the barrel I'm sure the programmers ( on all sides) are on a mission to see exactly how much crap the
populace will continue to watch.... :(

In 1979 Pink Floyd released the album "The wall"
One line in there holds true today!

I got thirteen channels of s*** on the T.V. to choose from ♪♪

Yeah it's basically what I do at home, channel hop and moan about every single program that's on. My daughter gets a kick out of me ranting about the people ranting on it :D A couple of the families on there are funny, but most of them nauseating.

Didn't Springsteen also say "57 channels and nothing on"? I remember when that came out and we thought '57? those crazy Americans' more like 100's of channels and nothing on nowadays, not all that much has changed. But there's always an Attenborough docu on to calm the nerves :D

iPlayer is a godsend!

Unfortunately, I don't have the attention span or memory to watch series on a week by week basis so was glad of iPlayer to watch Killing Eve over a few nights - after a day, I was OK with the quick resumé they played at the start of each episode but after 3 or 4, I needed a bit more of a reminder. :(

My daughter gets a kick out of me ranting about the people ranting on it :D
No one here, to hear me rant just the neighbours, but that depends on exactly how loud I do :D

I remember when that came out and we thought '57? those crazy Americans'
I thought the same at 13!

But there's always an Attenborough docu on to calm the nerves :D
or TP to get stuck in to :D
( did I type that? :D )

iPlayer is a godsend!
I signed up to that, and the ITV one a few months ago, but its very limited as to what you can watch.
I had to buy a new TV recently, and of course my sign in went with the old one.
I shan't bother rejoining waste of time IMO

No one here, to hear me rant just the neighbours, but that depends on exactly how loud I do :D

I thought the same at 13!

or TP to get stuck in to:D
( did I type that? :D )

We're in a fully detached house here so I have that bit more room for my rantage to evaporate before ours hear me :D

TP is another form of therapy for sure!

Just had a peek at White Gold, I see 2 of the lads from In betweeners are in it, same kind of humour?

I just subscribed to Apple TV+. I’ll be watching the first episode of For All Mankind this evening.

£60? It’s all on Now TV. You can get that for £9 a month or if you binged it you might be able to get away with watching it with the free trial and then cancelling. ;)

@Cobra If you can get it cheaper or for free [like the option boogie suggests], S09 isn't bad, when I said it wasn't worth that much I'd say same about most series tbh. It does have a pretty shocking finale. I binged it pretty quick as I'd little else to watch and it wasn't too much hard effort, it kept me interested at least.

Up to date on Mr Mercedes now, got just the latest WD [ep 4] to watch, I think next one is out here Mon? shown Sun night in the States? Need another series to bulk out my weekday evenings. More suggestions needed if anyone's got something juicy

Received a free 12 month subscription to Apple tv+. Just watched the 1st episode of For All Mankind, very good.

Back