Bet the use of this upsets some

No thanks, I have shot everything from weddings to sports and my customers from individuals to magazines and publications are happy without my knowing, but then it is a personal choice, and I can still shoot images without metering, as we did in the days before built in meters.

Very interesting. I shoot landscapes, interiors and architecture/cityscape commercially and none have said to me either - that image is no good because you didn't use a separate light meter or a manual focus lens. It is the end result that matters. I am not upset you use a light meter - it's a bizarre title for the thread tbh and I suspect the thread designed to catch peoples attention. My metering preference is center weighted - it has an evaluative element to it. However I find in live view (the best way to check focus is accurate for landscapes etc (zoom to 100% in camera to check) and if the AF fails - use manual focus checking it in live view as you. In live view I use this histogram preview - and check each RGB one after. The thing with digital is that if you bungle it, you can take another and it won't cost you the way film would.

In case you change your mind

https://digital-photography-school.com/how-to-read-and-use-histograms/

https://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/histograms2.htm

https://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/histograms2.htm
I also use non AF lenses, I suppose people will say that is out too, just like vinyl is dead, oh; or is it :)

I am not a music fan so I wouldn't know but I use manual focus a lot on my AF able lenses.

Last edited:
Hmm, NO insult intended but I like to take photographs
Me too. I just find a 5x4 camera and cut film a tiny bit inconvenient these days. Still: each to his own, eh?

Apart from the settings remaining static once you've input them, what are the benefits of using manual over aperture priority/shutter priority?

Very few, if any.

Apart from the settings remaining static once you've input them, what are the benefits of using manual over aperture priority/shutter priority?
None whatsoever.

And the advantage of using a hand held meter - none... so long as you understand what you're metering. As always, talent trumps technology and that includes talent using the right technology in the right way including as much automation as makes it easier to get the right result.

And Vinyl... with the right gear sounds so much better than CD, whereas cassette tapes are absolutely appalling, fragile and prone to noise.

Ease. I find it easier - set the aperture for DoF then bring the shutter speed up or down in histogram live view

100% I know how to use the DOF scale on lenses as well, many people don't even know what hyperfocal distance is and yet it is one of THE most important aspects of Photography

None whatsoever.

And the advantage of using a hand held meter - none... .

There are many professional world wide photographers who would make the necessary comment on what you said and laugh

Please don't make silly sweeping comments you do not speak for everyone. You may not believe it but there are pro photographers out there who may just be better than you who use them ;)

I suggest you start YOUR sentences with "I don't think" instead of making a sweeping statement

Last edited:
Very few, if any.

Are you new to photography, if you believe there are no benefits in using Manual I suggest you read up on it

https://www.ilfordphoto.com/using-light-meter/

Remember I am not saying use one, I am not saying do as I do, but don't knock people who do or make silly comments about they are not needed these days just because YOU disagree does not make you right............. anyone

Is there a point to all this?

I'm not seeing it.

If you read MY original post, then for many replies they are pointless as they do NOT refer to what I originally posted, I never asked for a debate, adverse comments, or pointless blather, I just made a post

I bought this new, yes when it first came out and STILL use it today
I use it when using a 10 stopper, saves constantly removing and attaching it to meter.
I use both incident and reflective metering depending on what I am imaging, I bet there are photographers today who don't even know what it is
I bought it from the Camera shop in Aldershot in 1973, I could not afford it all at once and paid 10s a week that is 10 shillings, last year I bought a mint Euromaster 2

Last edited:
Are you new to photography, if you believe there are no benefits in using Manual I suggest you read up on it

No. For many years I had no choice but to use manual. If you reread my post, I said there were few if any benefits to using manual mode rather than one of the automatic options, not that there are none.

Ease. I find it easier - set the aperture for DoF then bring the shutter speed up or down in histogram live view
I get what you're saying, but within 2 stops, I can do that in aperture mode using exposure compensation.
If I need more than +2/-2 I would switch to manual.

No. For many years I had no choice but to use manual. If you reread my post, I said there were few if any benefits to using manual mode rather than one of the automatic options, not that there are none.

SORRY MY mistake

There are many professional world wide photographers who would make the necessary comment on what you said and laugh
And just as many that would agree with me - and almost all of them would consider you ignorant for that remark.
Hate to burst your bubble - but not everything you believe is the only right answer.

Last edited:
My first meter was a Mini-Rex2... (late fourties) I still have one
My first decent meter Was a Gossen Sixtomat. (early fifties)
My next was A Weston ll mid fifties, ( I used it for years, as it could be used use it to calculate LF extension compensation, as it had Log scales) ( later ones did not)
I still have Westons 2,3,4,5
The next meter I bought was a Norwood super director incident meter which is the forerunner to the Sekonic range. also bought in the late fifties Looks almost identical but made by Waltz.
I also have more recent a gossen flash meter and recent Sekonic analogue incident meter.

I still have all these meters but see no need to use any of them. Though the two most recent I have tested with digital shooting, and they give very good results.
but no better than can be obtained with the cameras alone.
Were I to uses large format film again on my MPP monorail, I would probably go back to using the Weston 2. but I doubt I ever shall.

Reactions: Nod
No thanks, I have shot everything from weddings to sports and my customers from individuals to magazines and publications are happy without my knowing, but then it is a personal choice, and I can still shoot images without metering, as we did in the days before built in meters.

I also use non AF lenses, I suppose people will say that is out too, just like vinyl is dead, oh; or is it :)

And I use THESE (Cross) to write, you know, that thing we did before texting :)

View attachment 252129
Should you be reported for cross posting? :):exit:

Weston meters? They're for the lazy and unskilled. :p

tfwj1YZpeKRn5ToWoTCM5sQk3pObwaQ0q8JIyoNZ-jfQJnCoP6xdhULYSWU1ByXZmZBP0PPibM1TRarLps8KUVDwoVi9kXLBWe4P-trYzfYN5lf_lj7CnBQCmku4xWtQmcr3sng6hmdyp3XZkHYis54sEQSd7r3oiAmxfHboZDbfGC2uNdYl4iSRXwxARwgTWV4Q5D1QkF8_Or8jEwqBHdn6PFlz0XT3hmfsqmwM-TTWv4rX33SmbEBTW2BvMVJ57bU50SAPDdXWkg9ARHwtRWqLAlUCoWbpSCd3HlGpg4fYyCK4cp1eksktm32sdzrYbynE04FSk1wgR0dIREKpT7VcVUls9pP_sIX4Me7p59daPOp15mNsN8X2hb2BzfCeUrOQo-bWoAcE0AwPEejEami6PU3-vkba2-GMcA4Mkoyn53_XjEp09ScP3w95qk7L5o4sRGipkJE-gIxDmIz4VMunqJ01vENSN-Dn1RSTmt_AtokfsQW61mmTcOjePBGQI2MPCRf5myUOtqk9arpwyTAVkyCBSBWnrxgDcgwqSHV0rSRpcFaxEYWmYzKiDLavXMEroM3yZehHcDdhkK4qt0AlE9CrO0VXZF89a_Pbb7XsYiKg1TurDdVJLAPL2Pk5OC5kduHtKdvC0XRKx4o9jMHWP-wGRPZu=s900-no

(I rarely VERY rarely EVER shoot in anything other than manual, is that also wrong)

Shoot in whatever mode makes you happy and works for you - M doesn't work in my world as it can often be far too slow

My world revolves around the DoF I want, so AP is best for me and I've never used S

At my B&G sessions I do tend to use M for consistency through each set piece, changing exposure for each set where I rely on the camera's metering and blinkies :)

Dave

I get what you're saying, but within 2 stops, I can do that in aperture mode using exposure compensation.
If I need more than +2/-2 I would switch to manual.

If you need to use exposure compensation why not just use manual as essentially A priority then adjusting using exposure compensation is the same thing.

Depends on the body but most have a wheel for aperture and one for shutter. It’s easy. Once you have the DOF and focus sorted - all you need to do is get the shutter and ISO where you need it (tend to keep ISO on base setting or increase to get 1/focal length or faster shutter speed to avoid blurred grasses etc unless it’s super still. With the bulk of my shots I take my time in composing, getting it all right. I’m not a grab and go type of shooter. My way is what I teach but others do it differently too with impressive results also.

Plus cameras have been known to bungle the chosen shutter speed in A mode - hence I do it myself using live view histogram as a good guide and then I check the histogram making sure the exposure is where it needs to be.

Last edited:
Y see @CanNik the premise of your post is 100% wrong, and your attitude is the opposite of admirable.

Your thread title 'Bet the use of this upsets some' is just not true - we don't give a flying f*** whether you want to use a light meter.

But apparently you do seem to care that we don't want to shoot in exactly the same way you do, you actually tried to ridicule others and I'm sorry but I don't like bullies. You can't ask for people to be patient with you, then bait them and then ridicule them. That's simply not very nice behaviour.

Have a rethink - maybe apologise and think about whether you should stop posting inflammatory comments whilst playing the victim.

Last edited:
If you need to use exposure compensation why not just use manual as essentially A priority then adjusting using exposure compensation is the same thing.

Yes - it's essentially the same thing - so why do you care which he chooses?

Yes - it's essentially the same thing - so why do you care which he chooses?

Care is a strong way to put it - discussing the ways to do it. The build of most bodies make it easier to use M mode than A then fiddle with the exposure compensation button I find.

I’ve been baited into this thread.

Care is a strong way to put it - discussing the ways to do it. The build of most bodies make it easier to use M mode than A then fiddle with the exposure compensation button I find.

I’ve been baited into this thread.
I think you mean it makes it easier for the way you shoot - OTOH I kinda agree with Bob, I can shoot consistently much quicker in A mode and having compared my Raw's to a few M shooters I'm very confident that my way works better (not just for me)

Back