Bet the use of this upsets some

I think you mean it makes it easier for the way you shoot - OTOH I kinda agree with Bob, I can shoot consistently much quicker in A mode and having compared my Raw's to a few M shooters I'm very confident that my way works better (not just for me)

Horses for courses - and I shoot very different things to you too.

Apart from the settings remaining static once you've input them, what are the benefits of using manual over aperture priority/shutter priority?

.... The main benefit is being able to very quickly change either the aperture and/or the shutter speed while still in the viewfinder - Perhaps more useful for wildlife and action photography. Manual-mode offers more extensive control, BUT there is no right or wrong technique. I shoot mainly Manual-mode but also Aperture and Shutter priority according to the subject. I very very rarely shoot P-mode.

I bought this new, yes when it first came out and STILL use it today
I use it when using a 10 stopper, saves constantly removing and attaching it to meter.
I use both incident and reflective metering depending on what I am imaging, I bet there are photographers today who don't even know what it is
I bought it from the Camera shop in Aldershot in 1973, I could not afford it all at once and paid 10s a week that is 10 shillings, last year I bought a mint Euromaster 2

I reckon you've mis-titled this thread. It should be: "The fact other people don't use this really annoys me and I have a bit of a chip on my shoulder about progress / technology"

Here's an idea for you...

If you genuinely believe using a light meter is in some way superior and that there are a lot of newer togs who would not know what one is let alone how to use one - why not make a helpful, informative post on the subject instead of baiting everyone and ridiculing those with a different point of view?

You've added nothing constructive with this thread.

If you don't want to post something helpful then maybe just carry on using the kit you want to in the manner you want to and let everyone else do the same. No one cares one way or the other. Apart from you obviously.

And Vinyl... with the right gear sounds so much better than CD, whereas cassette tapes are absolutely appalling, fragile and prone to noise.

Absolutely spot on about Vinyl,(y) sorry completely wrong about cassette tapes except at the cheap mass produced end of the market. There was a last horah / swansong to tape back in 1991/92 when it had already died a death where if you know what to look for they made statement high end cassette decks with on board DACs that sound really very good indeed. TDK Metal tapes if you still have them unopened sell for £45 a pop these days and were £10 a pop in the late eighties. I'm not that old but bought one of these said machines new in 94 for nostalgic reasons never owning a deck before for a quarter of the retail price. I'm glad i didn't sell even though rarely used it and mothballed for the last 25 years. I'm glad the young have woken up and decided to actually own something instead of the Virtual.

IME manual mode seems to be most useful when you need to lock exposure settings while pointing the camera at something which will fool the meter i.e. for sports events in uneven lighting, landscapes where the stuff in the viewfinder isn't 18% grey etc.

Most of the time I use the camera in spot metering mode and aperture priority, choosing to expose by taking the reading from whatever is in the frame that's appropriate, then locking exposure & composing. There's nothing heroic or professional about using any particular mode or means of metering, but it's just good technique to produce images with the exposure that you need as a basis for processing them to be ready for presentation.

CanNik - I think you need to stop looking for personal validation from TP users, and just get involved showing your images and offering constructive crit' on those others present.

Last edited:
Absolutely spot on about Vinyl,(y) sorry completely wrong about cassette tapes except at the cheap mass produced end of the market. There was a last horah / swansong to tape back in 1991/92 when it had already died a death where if you know what to look for they made statement high end cassette decks with on board DACs that sound really very good indeed. TDK Metal tapes if you still have them unopened sell for £45 a pop these days and were £10 a pop in the late eighties. I'm not that old but bought one of these said machines new in 94 for nostalgic reasons never owning a deck before for a quarter of the retail price. I'm glad i didn't sell even though rarely used it and mothballed for the last 25 years. I'm glad the young have woken up and decided to actually own something instead of the Virtual.
Still fragile - I used to pay fortunes for quality metal tapes for my favourite albums, they still bust. And they're just not capable of holding enough data.

I reckon you've mis-titled this thread. It should be: "The fact other people don't use this really annoys me and I have a bit of a chip on my shoulder about progress / technology"

Here's an idea for you...

If you genuinely believe using a light meter is in some way superior and that there are a lot of newer togs who would not know what one is let alone how to use one - why not make a helpful, informative post on the subject instead of baiting everyone and ridiculing those with a different point of view?

You've added nothing constructive with this thread.

If you don't want to post something helpful then maybe just carry on using the kit you want to in the manner you want to and let everyone else do the same. No one cares one way or the other. Apart from you obviously.

Yeah this, I gave a pass on the last thread but this one seems a bit obnoxious - In the other one OP was 'ranting' a bit, about not caring how others do things or what they have to say. Here OP is almost mocking people for not knowing what a light meter is ... or it comes across as such. I know what it is, I've always known, would I be bothered using one? Nope! I trust my eyes, 1-2 test shots or carry this contraption about? easy choice. I really think these are only necessary if you should film and I don't care if that's inexperience talking, it's how I chose to see it. It would be hypocritical of the OP to tell others they should be using one of these

Hmm, NO insult intended but I like to take photographs not leave it to automation

Automation? using a cameras in-built metering system is no lesser than using this light meter tbh

Automation? using a cameras in-built metering system is no lesser than using this light meter tbh

With the amount of processing required to actually create a raw image in the first place, there's already a bucket-full of automation. But then it's always been like that, except instead of digital presets it was choice of film, then lab/developer etc. and going with whatever design choices Mr Kodak, Mr Agfa or Mr Ilford et al had made for you.

Very few ever made their own collodion plates. :exit:

Still fragile - I used to pay fortunes for quality metal tapes for my favourite albums, they still bust. And they're just not capable of holding enough data.

Same, I remember paying up to £5 for one blank cassette - black chrome was the hype at the time, with claims that it couldn't get stuck to the heads ... well, that was BS :D

I actually have about 100 odd albums on cassette, as in originals, out in the garage and still have some 12" vinyl. Not a tape player in the house, do they even still include them on stereos? Seems to have been replaced by usb port and bluetooth - that's what's on the system I have here. It does have a CD player though. I mostly hook my phone up to it now and use Spotify, bit sad really ... I do still play the odd CD, have about 200 of those too. But I do often miss the whole process of reading album reviews, waiting on said album to be released, waiting on my local record store to finally get the order in for me [a lot of albums I was after could only be got by special order as they weren't chart] or I would often take the bus to Dublin to hit up HMV or Virgin, I would make a Saturday day trip out of it with friends just to go buy a few albums. Now it's - download/stream and dump and delete if I don't fancy it. Soulless, but a lot cheaper.

With the amount of processing required to actually create a raw image in the first place, there's already a bucket-full of automation. But then it's always been like that, except instead of digital presets it was choice of film, then lab/developer etc. and going with whatever design choices Mr Kodak, Mr Agfa or Mr Ilford et al had made for you.

Is the OP only using film then? I took it that he/she was shooting digital

The truth about technophobia...
If it was invented before you were born, it's part of the natural world
If it was invented before you were 10, it's old hat
If it was invented between 11 and 40, it's new and exciting
If it was invented after you were 40, it's unnecessary and the work of the devil.

If it was invented after you were 40, it's unnecessary and the work of the devil.

How true that can be.

I'm nearly 60 now, and normally very comfy with IT, science in general, but just occasionally now I find that I've not kept up with current status and developments, and it's a bit of a shock to find that I've fallen behind. The biggest danger is to write 'progress' off as a waste of time that can be safely ignored.

Now, who's got an A7RIV they'd like to gift me. ;)

How true that can be.

I'm nearly 60 now, and normally very comfy with IT, science in general, but just occasionally now I find that I've not kept up with current status and developments, and it's a bit of a shock to find that I've fallen behind. The biggest danger is to write 'progress' off as a waste of time that can be safely ignored.

Now, who's got an A7RIV they'd like to gift me. ;)
I spent a large portion of my working life in IT, my kids think it's cool that we held onto vinyl - but seriously take the mickey that we don't subscribe to a streaming service or have favourite podcasts.

I would make a Saturday day trip out of it with friends just to go buy a few albums. Now it's - download/stream and dump and delete if I don't fancy it. Soulless, but a lot cheaper.

I vividly remember my first unsupervised trip into town on the bus with my mates - we went to the Ourprice. It was a great day.

100% I know how to use the DOF scale on lenses as well, many people don't even know what hyperfocal distance is and yet it is one of THE most important aspects of Photography
There are many professional world wide photographers who would make the necessary comment on what you said and laugh

Please don't make silly sweeping comments you do not speak for everyone. You may not believe it but there are pro photographers out there who may just be better than you who use them ;)

I suggest you start YOUR sentences with "I don't think" instead of making a sweeping statement

Are you new to photography, if you believe there are no benefits in using Manual I suggest you read up on it
If you read MY original post, then for many replies they are pointless as they do NOT refer to what I originally posted, I never asked for a debate, adverse comments, or pointless blather, I just made a post

I bought this new, yes when it first came out and STILL use it today
I use it when using a 10 stopper, saves constantly removing and attaching it to meter.
I use both incident and reflective metering depending on what I am imaging, I bet there are photographers today who don't even know what it is
I bought it from the Camera shop in Aldershot in 1973, I could not afford it all at once and paid 10s a week that is 10 shillings, last year I bought a mint Euromaster 2
especially from you

I can't even be bothered to reply from now

Just found the ignore button YEY!

Me ...

I don't care about what others think, I just enjoy what i do

:LOL:

I spent a large portion of my working life in IT, my kids think it's cool that we held onto vinyl - but seriously take the mickey that we don't subscribe to a streaming service or have favourite podcasts.

Music as wallpaper drives me nuts these days. One of the teams at the other end of the lab have a streaming radio station playing a lot of the time, and when I'm trying to think through something a bit more complex I find it really distracting - my head wants to analyse the guitar parts in the music. A downside of getting old is not being able to play Deep Purple loudly while doing 'homework'.

But OTOH audio quality on youtube seems to have become better (less compression) and I do find myself watching movies of various artists (Joe Bonamassa has his own channel, for instance, and my son recently put me onto Larkin Poe).

Music as wallpaper drives me nuts these days. One of the teams at the other end of the lab have a streaming radio station playing a lot of the time, and when I'm trying to think through something a bit more complex I find it really distracting - my head wants to analyse the guitar parts in the music. A downside of getting old is not being able to play Deep Purple loudly while doing 'homework'.

But OTOH audio quality on youtube seems to have become better (less compression) and I do find myself watching movies of various artists (Joe Bonamassa has his own channel, for instance, and my son recently put me onto Larkin Poe).

I might have asked before, and it's probably a No, but does your name hail from the Iron Maiden track Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner?

Apart from the settings remaining static once you've input them, what are the benefits of using manual over aperture priority/shutter priority?

Where you want an image deliberately under/over exposed & you don't want to flick the Ex Comp dial from Av mode. Sometimes if focus stacking. Always if shooing panoramas.

100% I know how to use the DOF scale on lenses as well, many people don't even know what hyperfocal distance is and yet it is one of THE most important aspects of Photography

DOF scales aren't super accurate - unless you are talking the OLED display on the E mount Batis lenses...... Hyperfocus also isn't one of the most important aspects of photography either in my opinion.

One of the teams at the other end of the lab have a streaming radio station playing a lot of the time.
I did a job for a place where they had something similar going on. I told the manager he was paying me a lot of money and for that money I could either produce the code he wanted or I could listen to the music. He decided he wanted the code. :naughty:

I might have asked before, and it's probably a No, but does your name hail from the Iron Maiden track Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner?

I used to ride an older Marin mountain bike, and I was also oldest in the group of guys I rode with. And I have a lot of affection for the Albatross sketch.

I did a job for a place where they had something similar going on. I told the manager he was paying me a lot of money and for that money I could either produce the code he wanted or I could listen to the music. He decided he wanted the code. :naughty:

As always, people. I could make more fuss - it has been brought up in the past, more than once - but this particular group are gossipy, cliquey and have excluded members of my team socially because they're connected with me. It is therefore best to fight the battles that I need to and to ignore less important issues until they become a problem. I'm not a politican, but if I were then I'd have already planned the exit of certain individuals. :p

I had a EuroMaster II, but always lusted after a Gossen Profisix with attachments!

I had a EuroMaster II, but always lusted after a Gossen Profisix with attachments!

.... Is it just me who thinks this sounds sexually naughty? :D

I had both. Believe me when I say that in almost all cases the Euromaster was much better. Mind you if you had a black cat and needed to photograph it in a coal cellar... :thinking:

:clap: so true

I find my sekonic 308B very usefull for settings flashoutput and making the effect remain the same when altering position and distance.
Them again im not that experienced and bad at guessing so for me it's faster and more precise.
I find apperture priority to be my prefered mode with MautoISO coming in second. My most used dial on my X-T's is the EC

Back