Big Earl's TP 52 2016 Thread - 23 Topics in 24 Hours. Finally I can sleep easy...

Super catch up ...love the starry sky on your metal shot, but I think my absolute favourite is miniature ...I loved that theme, and yours is one of my definite favourites.
Thanks Susie! - Glad you liked it

I love your miniature shot - the cable ties don't bother me at all - they add interest - and it's so well composed. The crop definitely works better for me on abandoned - again the composition works so well - good find!
Thanks Emja, I too like the cable ties, for me it adds to the image.

Hi Earl

Metal - I like this, the floodlights provide a great contrast against the night sky, which itself is fascinating.

Miniature - the Forth Bridge is a fantastic backdrop and the little figurine has quite a lot of character sitting there on the railing. However the cable tie's very distracting.

Abandoned - viewing on my phone I can't figure out which crop I like best, but I like the fact that it's an interesting scene anyway, which just happens to have an abandoned trolley in it. The fact that the trolley isn't even the focus of the shot adds to the sense of abandonment.

Camouflage - interesting take on the theme. I prefer the colour version.
It is out of focus well picked up! but only ever so slightly, when viewed at 100% it is 'within tolerance' of acceptably in focus. Appreciate the comments Nick cheers :)

Abandoned - prefer the closer crop but both are great shots :)

Camouflage - nice shot, definitely fits the theme :)
Personally for this theme yeah the close crop, for the original intention of the image, the full thing. The original emphasis was on the arches, and there just happened to be an abandoned shopping trolley there ha. I was so devastated when I got back home and saw that branch cutting the frame up! :(

Thanks everyone for all the comments! more to come soon! Off to shetland for a week so hopefully get something up there to fit this challenge!
Anyone else been up there? I spent 2 years working, and I'm getting the chance to go back for a week. Really hoping to catch the northern lights while it's winter, just got to pray for a clear sky one night paired with high activity (better off sticking money on a number on roulette)

Edit: I don't want to view the spoiler but its so tempting in case I can really use my time up there to capture an upcoming topic/theme :p

Cheers
Earl

Metal - Good idea for the theme, personally I prefer #1 ... simple central placing.

Miniature - Great pic even without the miniature figure.

Abandoned - I prefer the first image ... nice POV.

Camouflage - on theme.

Last edited:
It is out of focus well picked up! but only ever so slightly, when viewed at 100% it is 'within tolerance' of acceptably in focus. Appreciate the comments Nick cheers :)

I meant it wasn't the focus of the shot in the sense that the trolley wasn't the main subject, not that the trolley was out of focus!

Miniature very clever idea great shot
Abandoned someone missing a trolley nice take on the theme
Camouflage I like the colour one but they both work nicely done.(y)

Metal - I like the first one best
Miniature - he certainly is miniature great picture I think the cable tie works
Abandoned - I like the first shot best lots to see.
Camouflaged - deffinately fits the theme works best in colour.

Wow, 9 months have passed, and with it a very busy year. Nonetheless, I am going to try and get all these weeks caught up! Quite daunting with 35+ topics to try and shoot, difficult to get the direction!
Pictures coming shortly...

Certainly a challenge for you now Earl !!!

Some lovely autumn pics that's for sure, good luck (y)

Got to go for it! I know for certain I would hugely regret not trying! And my tail would be very much between my legs when going into next years. I just hope the 'quality' of the shots doesn't drop in the rush. I can see an autumnal/wet/wintery theme being unavoidable though.

Really disappointed with my lack of availability but the threat of redundancy kept me in work the whole bloody time. Rather that than sell my kit ha :D

Watch this space...
For now, back to work tomorrow for a couple of weeks. Gonna be a bloody push the last 4 weeks.

Wish me luck. Please. ;)

Earl.

Hi Earl - good for you, fingers crossed for you to complete. Is it just me or are the links missing from the main page? I do like the single tree best for Lonely - not anything wrong with the other but this tree shows age and character. More difficult choice for Fauna but maybe 0293 for me amidst all those fallen leaves.

Hi Earl - good for you, fingers crossed for you to complete. Is it just me or are the links missing from the main page? I do like the single tree best for Lonely - not anything wrong with the other but this tree shows age and character. More difficult choice for Fauna but maybe 0293 for me amidst all those fallen leaves.

Correct, it's been that long I forgot the correct way to do it

Good piece of catching up there Earl.
Horizontal made me smile. I do quite like the original shot. The way the sky is gradually exposed feels like a zipper.
Fauna - My preference is the _0293 shot, as the little fella is posing for the shot or _0392 as he stands out more. I can't see anything wrong with the focus, it works for me (y)

So, for sign I thought I would go with what I think is part of the American (possibly British too?) sign for photograph. Just a bit of fun as I haven't had the flash out in a while and it really opens up creativity, needed to brush off the cobwebs.

TP52_WEEK25_SIGN_ by ryan hollings, on Flickr

Thoughts?

Still battling through some of these, got my ideas written down. 4 weeks to go.... Gonna be tough.

Earl

Hi Ryan,
Sign - I wouldn't have a clue whether the sign was right or not, but very fitting. Good use of the flash to focus the eye whilst also having a strong black background.
Vast - Not sure that it sells 'vast' to me, but an interesting composition.

Hi Ryan,
Sign - I wouldn't have a clue whether the sign was right or not, but very fitting. Good use of the flash to focus the eye whilst also having a strong black background.
Vast - Not sure that it sells 'vast' to me, but an interesting composition.

It's a vast task completing all these weeks with only 30 days to go :)

For those of you that know how close you have to get with an UWA you will maybe understand, this guy was cm from booting the front of the lens, I have a couple of shots from the split second before when it looks like the sole of his shoe is coming right towards me. Exciting is one way of putting it.

TP52_WEEK9_LIVING WORLD_ by ryan hollings, on Flickr

Blimey Ryan, you've been going some over the past few days!

Ancient - Nicely symmetrical and a good capture of the stained glass even though it seems light inside. Sunny day I assume?
Life - Puts me in mind of the cover art for Pink Floyd's "Atom Heart Mother", which is a good thing :)
Entrance - Must have been a dark night to manage 20 seconds at f/8. Well exposed with strong starbursts and the light trails also work well. I prefer #1 of the 2, but not much in it. Perhaps because it fills the frame more.
Colourful - I assume it's the foreground you painted, not the bridge ;) Well lit, the exposure looks spot on there.
Personal - Your 'personal' car? I quite like that shot, seems a bit like a product shot in a glossy magazine. Is that what you were aiming for?
Living World - Not having a UWA, I'll take you word for how close they were. Absolutely loving the chap in the centre's face and expression. This one (or maybe the car) is my pick of the bunch.

Great catch up sets :)

Ancient - Nicely symmetrical and a good capture of the stained glass even though it seems light inside. Sunny day I assume?
Actually, I think because it was during the festival, they brightened the place up, it's St. Johns at the end of Princes Street, I actually took refuge in there because it was lousy outside, thought I would take up the opportunity to snap a church as I haven't managed to get to one since really delving into photography.

Life - Puts me in mind of the cover art for Pink Floyd's "Atom Heart Mother", which is a good thing :)
Great spot!

Entrance - Must have been a dark night to manage 20 seconds at f/8. Well exposed with strong starbursts and the light trails also work well. I prefer #1 of the 2, but not much in it. Perhaps because it fills the frame more.
I agree, I think the fact that the sign is technically the subject means it being larger in the frame works better. Could have worked out a bit better but I have had this idea for a while and wanted to see how it might have come out.

Personal - Your 'personal' car? I quite like that shot, seems a bit like a product shot in a glossy magazine. Is that what you were aiming for?
Here we go, I didn't want to focus too much on the model, and just that it is a representation of something I own (and love) but here are the rest of the shots - All shot with the 105 2.5 wide open. Love it! I would have liked to have spent longer in the car park getting some more shots, but was concerned about someone turning up, I would have been so embarressed "Look at this big headed t**t taking pics of his M5... n*b"

[url=https://flic.kr/p/NsGBRk]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/MuP1Z6]

Living World - Not having a UWA, I'll take you word for how close they were. Absolutely loving the chap in the centre's face and expression. This one (or maybe the car) is my pick of the bunch.
I will get the one prior to this uploaded...

Cheers all,[/url][/url]

The two frames prior

Even the shots of the bullions, the front element was around 2-10cm from their gobs. I was lucky I didnt end up with a slimy lens! :D

Cheers

Week 48 - Cultural
I took a trip to Ghana not so long ago, and had a chance to go around the local market to take some photos. It was incredibly difficult. At first, I was reasonably naive and treating it like the UK streets, where you go about take pictures of anyone you want, say thank you, and have done with it. Well, I very quickly found out (thanks to my driver translating) that the people think you are doing it to take home and show your family/friends how they live, and are in fact ashamed of it. This saddened me, and I found it very sad as this really wasn't the case, and I doubt it would ever be. From a western world, going into an African market place, everything is new, different and you just want to soak up the cultural differences. There were definitely some really good photo opportunities but I didn't want to disrespect the people knowing they were almost offended by the camera. It also didn't help that I am over 6'3", essentially translucent, taking pictures as the only white person in a market, where the people felt ashamed to be seen. I forget the Twi word for "white man" but it was getting shouted all across the market, the men, the children and the women were joining in.

It really was a great experience, as I arrived a church band marched down the street, with all the young children dressed very smart in their blue and white attire, the usual market atmosphere filled the air. And tucked away in the center was a Muslim school where the children were happily playing outside. My driver insisted I took pictures of the children, with which I replied "Unfortunately in the UK you wouldn't last too long as a stranger whipping out your super zoom and taking snaps of random peoples children, not matter how innocent you mean by it" but I am glad I did.

I did manage to shoot from the hip, and although I would have loved my SLR, I only took a TZ-60 with me, which was probably a good thing in the end for some covert-ops snaps. I do have loads but here are a couple, with it being an extremely bright day, I found it very difficult lifting the skin tones even with shooting in raw.

Oh and another idea I could have gone with, possibly more relevant to the actual topic.

Cheers
Earl

Okay, yes, that does look like it was getting quite close :)
IK hadn't realised it was an M5 (to be fair I hadn't sussed it was a BMW!) The processing suites the shots.

WRT to cultural, actually, I think I prefer the piper, though the other shots are colourful.
I prefer it due to the use of shallow DoF.

IK hadn't realised it was an M5 (to be fair I hadn't sussed it was a BMW!) The processing suites the shots.

Thank you, I am pleased with them too. Just love shooting with the 105 2.5. Had her out in Edinburgh again a couple of days ago.

MF is brilliant for me because:

a) Invisible in comparison to a 70-200 + Grip (for balance)
b) Much easier to not aim the lens towards someone and still focus on them.
c) For me, if not tracking, is quicker to focus that AF, and at least for now is mostly as accurate (come back to me in 10 years..)

Good catch up, I really like the car shots, very well done. I also think your use of a wide angle on living world really creates a good photo

Thanks guys, appreciate the comments :)

More to come, got another few prepared just need to pick my faves for each category..

Earl

Back