blakester's 52 for 2010, Part 1

I can't choose :D

I like the colours and timelessness of #1, and I can't see any 'jaggies' and the composition, processing and DoF of #2 are spot on. You've got the focus on the eyes and great bokeh too :clap::clap::clap:

Jill, thanks for your comments, I sorted the jaggies after the earlier comments, as I said, I never noticed them:bonk: Thats one of the many things i like about this site, you get so many different views, people noticing things that one might not as the photographer. I couldn't make my mind up on which to post, so I posted both. Thats probably breaking the rules :D

I'm not sure I'd feel stable riding it, but it's a very nice first image. But for me the second photo takes the prize. Not just taken in the street but someone using the street. Great eye contact makes you think what happened next. No black eyes I assume?

Darren, thanks for your comments too. I could make up a story about what happened next but I'd be lying;). I was travelling out of London as a passenger in a company vehicle, the biker drew up alongside us and I got the shot. He just nodded in acknowledgement and drove off. No drama :D

(y)number one for me ,the chap on the bike looks a bit confused as to why he's having his photo taken

No. 2 for me. The lighting and reflections off the helmet and the rain drops really add a bit of interest

Thanks Darkmage, I think I am tending towards #2

(y)number one for me ,the chap on the bike looks a bit confused as to why he's having his photo taken

He does look a bit confused Andy but he wasn't bothered at having his photograph taken!

What a cracking candid. I like the bike but for me the motorcyclist wins hands down.

What a cracking candid. I like the bike but for me the motorcyclist wins hands down.

Thanks for your comments Rob, with your vote for #2, I think that is beginning to be the more popular shot between my two pics.

I like both, but my vote also goes to the biker shot as it is closer to what I imagined as the the style of the theme. Well done.

The guy on the motorbike looks like he's about to lamp you!

I couldn't make my mind up on which to post, so I posted both. Thats probably breaking the rules :D

Your rules, you do what you want!
And I'm glad that you posted both because they're both stunning shots :clap:

No.1 : Great colours, great composition and that quirky bike is fascinating.
The angle and perspective that you've picked work perfectly too.

No.2 : You couldn't have picked a more different shot from no.1 if you'd tried.
This is the second time I've said this on this week's theme . . . I really, really don't like street photography. Shots of random strangers just don't interest me, but this is another one where I'm going to have to make an exception.
Fantastic eye contact and I just love the background :love:

A brilliant week for you this week :clap: :clap: :clap:

Both excellent shots, in totally different ways. Love the composition and colours in the first. Excellent eye contact in the second.

Ian, have a look at gimp for a free image editor, it's limited to 8 bit, but it works. And if you want to play with raw, then http://ufraw.sourceforge.net/ works with gimp.

Both excellent shots, in totally different ways. Love the composition and colours in the first. Excellent eye contact in the second.

Ian, have a look at gimp for a free image editor, it's limited to 8 bit, but it works. And if you want to play with raw, then http://ufraw.sourceforge.net/ works with gimp.

John thanks for both comments and links, I will have a look at them. Iain

Your rules, you do what you want!
And I'm glad that you posted both because they're both stunning shots :clap:

No.1 : Great colours, great composition and that quirky bike is fascinating.
The angle and perspective that you've picked work perfectly too.

No.2 : You couldn't have picked a more different shot from no.1 if you'd tried.
This is the second time I've said this on this week's theme . . . I really, really don't like street photography. Shots of random strangers just don't interest me, but this is another one where I'm going to have to make an exception.
Fantastic eye contact and I just love the background :love:

A brilliant week for you this week :clap: :clap: :clap:

Sarah, thank you too for your comments and taking the time to look at my 52.
It wasn't the easiest of themes this week and i am glad I managed to get these two shots. Iain

Week 5 - Speed

As seems to be a common occurence for me, below I am posting two images for the theme as I can't make my mind up :thinking:

The first image I thought of speed/tempo of music

The second image the speed speaks for itself, with a little self portrait thrown in :D Can you see me?

Last edited:
Did you have permission to take that first shot? :LOL:

Sorry - was with Iain today, and he got a telling off from an overzealous jobsworth......... even though the P&S brigade were not troubled............ Obviously the big camera and lens makes you an "iffy" character.... not to mention having introduced someone to a random guy, and having a "not from round these hare parts" accent.

Am very much liking the second one though - great take on the theme for the week........ colours have come out well. Surprised there is no camera shake given the state of the roads.........

Last edited:
Did you have permission to take that first shot? :LOL:

Sorry - was with Iain today, and he got a telling off from an overzealous jobsworth......... even though the P&S brigade were not troubled............ Obviously the big camera and lens makes you an "iffy" character.... not to mention having introduced someone to a random guy, and having a "not from round these hare parts" accent.

Am very much liking the second one though - great take on the theme for the week........ colours have come out well. Surprised there is no camera shake given the state of the roads.........

Guilty on all counts above:D
The first image for speed is a bit of a stretch i think.
The second shake free image was one of a few decent images from lets just say quite a few :puke:
Roll on the next theme Lynton. Thanks for your comments(y)

The second image says "speed" to me more than the musical one but its good to see a different take on the subject and a good photo of the orchestra members

Thank-you for your comments Sue, I agree with you on the first image.
I think if an image has to be explained, its perhaps missed the point. I will keep it posted though because I do like it even though its not quite on theme;)

Street....Very interesting image, the bike is great.

Speed....The first shot needs a little more movement to show speed. The second is a very popular idea but every body forgets to clean their window screens first ;)

Agree that the 2nd image is more successful than the 1st, though I actually prefer the concept of the orchestra shot. Unfortunately I am struggling to suggest how the music shot might have been improved.

#2 for me, well done. I like the colours in the dash (speedo)

Jon thanks for your comments, I am tending towards this shot myself. I too like the colours. I much prefer taking photographs with colour than B&W.

Street....Very interesting image, the bike is great.

Speed....The first shot needs a little more movement to show speed. The second is a very popular idea but every body forgets to clean their window screens first ;)

Scott thank-you for your comments. Cleaning the windscreen:bang:

Agree that the 2nd image is more successful than the 1st, though I actually prefer the concept of the orchestra shot. Unfortunately I am struggling to suggest how the music shot might have been improved.

Derek thanks for looking and your comments, as said above I personally am beginning to favour the 2nd although I still like the orchestra shot

Iain

Gotta say Iain, I prefer the orchestral shot, and perhaps a longer shutter speed to bring out the movements of the bow's would have helped, but then you'd probably be struggling to keep the musician's sharp...

The second says speed far better though.

Gotta say Iain, I prefer the orchestral shot, and perhaps a longer shutter speed to bring out the movements of the bow's would have helped, but then you'd probably be struggling to keep the musician's sharp...

The second says speed far better though.

thanks for your comments John, I am undecided on the images, thats why I posted both:)
Posting two images is becoming a bit of a habit, if I keep it up this 52 will become a 104:D
I am off to have a think about what I am going to do for this weeks theme:shrug:

Like them all so far. keep up the good work.

i really like the street - delivery cycle, thats my fav.

Thanks for your comments Richard.
The only image I am not really happy about is the poetry - castle image.
I prefer to do as little processing (ie none) as possible. The weather conditions conspired against me on that one and I couldn't bring the contrast up enough. i can easily revisit that one as its the view from my back garden:D

Orchestra shot for me Iain. It's just a far more original concept and it's not really THAT much of a stretch for the theme.
The composition works well and I like the way that you've isolated the 2 violinists. Lovely detail and very tactile grain in the instruments too.

Orchestra shot for me Iain. It's just a far more original concept and it's not really THAT much of a stretch for the theme.
The composition works well and I like the way that you've isolated the 2 violinists. Lovely detail and very tactile grain in the instruments too.

Thanks for your thoughtful comments Sarah. Thanks for looking. Iain

As images the first wins hands down and only needs a little shove into the theme. The second definitely says speed in a more traditional sense and I do like the colours on your dash :)

As images the first wins hands down and only needs a little shove into the theme. The second definitely says speed in a more traditional sense and I do like the colours on your dash :)

Thanks Darren, the second took ahem... a good few attempts to get one I was happy with. I tried many different settings on the way home from a TP meet at Norwich cathedral where the first image was taken.

#2 for me, the only slight thing is the dirty marks on the windscreen

#2 for me, the only slight thing is the dirty marks on the windscreen

I agree about the windscreen Darren but it was a murky night on the drive back from Norwich so had no choice:(

Thanks for your comments.
Iain

Hi Iian. Playing catch up again. I like your street shots. I think the first one would look good in b&w. I realy like your second entry for speed, good colours and you managed to get yourself in the shot.

Thanks for commenting Martin, getting myself in the shot was more luck than judgement:D

The orchestra shot is my favourite - maybe a slightly slower shutter speed would have recorded more movement? As a keen amateur violinist I can really identify with this one. It looks as if you shot it during a concert - how did you get a way with it?

Below is my interpretation of this weeks theme "present"
The image below represents my music media from past to present.

As always, comments and critiques welcome!

Thanks for looking.
Iain

The orchestra shot is my favourite - maybe a slightly slower shutter speed would have recorded more movement? As a keen amateur violinist I can really identify with this one. It looks as if you shot it during a concert - how did you get a way with it?

Tracer, I took the shot whilst on the Norwich Cathedral meet a week ago. I used my 70-200 lens, this was around 130mm, so I was some distance away.
The cathedral is open to the public, so there was a fair bit of coming and going. Some jobsworth in a uniform asked me if I had permission to photograph the musicians.....errr no:shrug: I should have asked him if he asked the hoards of others with their P&S that question:D

Now that is smart thinking, I really like the thought behind that idea (y)

Thats good Iain i like the concept, wonder if it was better (or possible) to get a full reflection on the vinyl

Thanks for your comments Chris!
It is actually perspex underneath the music media, I bought it from B&Q in a
4'x2' sheet. It wasn't wide enough to get the full reflection of the LP in:(.

Back