Boats - an open thread

D700 + Nikon 70 200mm f/2.8 @ 70mm

TP_Boats_Pmouth_wide_pano.jpg

Last edited:
Volunteer.jpg

Built in 1934 by Charles Hill & Son of Bristol, VOLUNTEER is a harbour tug of steel construction with a British Polar K56 diesel engine. She was delivered to C J King & Sons Limited at Bristol and then sold in 1959 to F A Ashmead & Son Limited and renamed ROBERT A. She was later laid up in Gloucester and sold in 1983 to Drake Towage in Wisbech, whereupon she was renamed SEA FITTER. She was sold in 1999 to Mr Aykroyd in Wisbech and again renamed ROBERT A. In 2002, she was sold to Mr Patterson, moved to Whitehaven and renamed VOLUNTEER. She was then bought by her present owner who plans to return her to her birthplace and restore her to near original condition.

I have neglected this thread . . . shame on me. Let's put this right :)

1.Cadgwith cove

i-cXNns6H-X2.jpg

2. The slipway

i-MSB6DjJ-X2.jpg

3. View point

i-jhDRZrv-X2.jpg

4. Away at sea

i-k6QfBDd-X2.jpg

Very nice set of shots Roy, liking them all very much with my fav' being the telescope shot.

Two from our 20km bimble along the coast path yesterday. The top one was taken in Looe and the bottom one as well as having a boat in it shows the start of finish of the measured mile markers. The Navy use them, or at least used to use them to calibrate the ships logs (speedo's). When viewed from offshore and in alignment would be the start or end of timing, there's another pair 1 nautical mile east of here.

Oars and Compass

Talland and the Measured Mile

Last edited:
Back