weekly Bruja's 52 2012 (09ers) Reflection/Emotion

Bruja

Los Cojones del Perro
Name
Just call me Mad Madam Mim
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello again :wave:

I tried this 52 lark again in 2010 but I was all inspired out (and you know how I love to talk :D) so I thought I'd give it another try.

Much has happened in the intervening 3 years since I last completed this and hopefully I'll have improved (and might even have something new to say :LOL:)

So - back to The Future for me :puke:

And a Happy New Year from (still) Sunny Spain.

Last edited:
Ive joined in this 52 as well. Looking forward to seeing your shots, even the sunny ones!

Ive joined in this 52 as well. Looking forward to seeing your shots, even the sunny ones!

Welcome Miss C and I hope you enjoy it as much as we did (most of the time we did anyway ;))

I'll look forward to your shots too.

Once the theme has been anounced I don't look at anyone else's thread until I've posted mine, usually by the skin of my teeth (Just like jeangenie :D)

I know what I'm going to do this week and I'll probably do it on Friday, along with my witterings about 'The Future'

Jill your witterings are anything but :)

Always look forward both to your words and images :)

I am doing my shot tonight and its going to be fun doing it however it turns out :)

Well, here we go with the first weeks challenge :)

Now is now the past - confused?

For me that means that the present is the most important time as it slips by so quickly. If we are always looking towards the future we miss out so much on the things that are happening now (which is now then :wacky:)

Having plans, having things to look forward to, can help us cope when things are difficult but to depend on the future to make life bearable now can mean we miss so many opportunities to experience life, to become aware of the small pleasures we can take by noticing and being present in the things are doing, seeing, hearing, smelling or tasting.

But I know how difficult this can be - when I was first diagnosed the last thing I wanted was to look into the future. I remember going to an MS society meeting and thinking 'Oh my god, is this what I've got to look forward to?' when looking around at the people in wheelchairs, because my initial assumption was that was my future and it was only a matter of when. I became extremely depressed as I thought my life was over (even though I was still physically capable at that time) and it took a long time to regain my focus on the present.

I fantasised (as many have and do) that winning the Lottery would be the answer to such a dismal future and, in hindsight, wasted many years looking forwards (but not looking foward) to the future.

Well, 20 years on some of it has happened. But you know what - I don't care. And no, I didn't win the Lottery :LOL: I just gradually began to concentrate on what I can do and not on what I might not be able to do next week, next month, next year.

Now when I think about the future I think about the things that are 'the icing on the cake' - a trip to Barcelona, the TP convention, next week's theme on here, Holby City on the tv, and the occasional :naughty: JD and coke. I've stopped worrying about how things might turn out because I end up missing out on the present, and I'm still here.

When you look into the future what do YOU see?

THE FUTURE​

6653859481_9e347cf115_z.jpg

I was going to call this Gypsy Rose Lee, then I googled it and turns out she was a stripper :eek:

What would I do differently?

Not use waterproof eyeliner on my brows and eyelids - it's a bugger to get off :eek:

Last edited:
Jill, Jill, Jill - I'd forgotten how much I'd missed the 52s for both the challenge to myself and looking at the other 52's posts not the least of which is yours. Always a terrific and thought provoking read and always a great shot to accompany it :)

A brilliant idea and an accomplished shot that does that idea justice :)

What stands out is a) The eye contact b) the colours c) the lighting :) All great!

No more to add really :)

Que guapa :D

Like the interpretation of the theme very much and the execution of it (y) great combination of colour and lighting against the dark background :)

I love reading your write up! Quite right you are too. Love the shot. Really good. I did think of a crystal ball myself but 1) I was just going to shoot the ball so Im now glad I didnt seeing as yours is sooooo much better and 2) I dont own a glass ball/bowl so quickly ditched the idea!

:wave: Welcome back Jill.

You're back with a real bang and a fantastic write up as always. Hugely imaginative, brilliant make-up job (I just hope that you finally got the waterproof eyeliner off) and very well lit. I'm always jealous of anyone who can pull off a strong self portrait because I find them hugely challenging for all sorts of reasons.

Looking forward to next week already (y)

Once the theme has been anounced I don't look at anyone else's thread until I've posted mine, usually by the skin of my teeth (Just like jeangenie :D)

:cautious: You never know - I might surprise you one day!! Then again - that's in the future. :p

Jill - You're not only back - you're back on top form. The write up is excellent and a good reminder that the present is all we've got and we should make the most of it.

The piccie is superb - lovely dramatic pose with lots of detail - the bling, the make up, even the right shade of nail polish. I like the lighting coming from above (!!) too. A great start and fantastic interpretation of the theme. (y)

Jean

Welcome back to the 52's Jill, and right back on form from day 1. I really missed your posts. Thought provoking and a great read, with an excellent image showing the future too.

Thank you.

Jill, Jill, Jill - I'd forgotten how much I'd missed the 52s for both the challenge to myself and looking at the other 52's posts not the least of which is yours. Always a terrific and thought provoking read and always a great shot to accompany it :)

A brilliant idea and an accomplished shot that does that idea justice :)

What stands out is a) The eye contact b) the colours c) the lighting :) All great!

No more to add really :)

Que guapa :D

Thank you kind sir- and you know how I love a bit of dressing up :LOL:
And I'm glad you are enjoy the challenge and the buzz you get from that ;)

Wow! That's a great image! Very well thought out.

Thank you for looking and for your very kind comments :)

Great start, not sure I could improve it (y)

Thanks for looking and liking :D

Love it! Great work :clap:

Thanks Michael for dropping by (and for loving it ;))

Like the interpretation of the theme very much and the execution of it (y) great combination of colour and lighting against the dark background :)

Thanks Defiance - it's amazing what you can do with a black sheet pinned on the wall ;), and I do like a bit of dressing up :LOL:

Hello Jill. That is a brilliant interpretation of the theme. :clap: Love it!

Thanks Nathalie for both dropping in and for loving it :)

I love reading your write up! Quite right you are too. Love the shot. Really good. I did think of a crystal ball myself but 1) I was just going to shoot the ball so Im now glad I didnt seeing as yours is sooooo much better and 2) I dont own a glass ball/bowl so quickly ditched the idea!

Thanks Miss Cupcake - the write up is not to everyone's taste but to me it's an integral part of the challenge and often the picture leads on from what it makes me think about. I used a glass vase and disguised the neck in a black candle jar ;)

Welcome back Jill.

You're back with a real bang and a fantastic write up as always. Thanks Sarah Hugely imaginative, brilliant make-up job (I just hope that you finally got the waterproof eyeliner off) With 4 tries :D and very well lit. Just natural light from the side I'm always jealous of anyone who can pull off a strong self portrait because I find them hugely challenging for all sorts of reasons. So tell me what they are then. How you look, setting it up, the pose, the lighting :shrug: - the only one that's different from any other shot is how you look.

Looking forward to next week already (y)

welcome back Jill and what a great start, with a very thought provoking writeup too! That eyeliner is a flaming nuisance isn't it :LOL:

Hello again Yv and thanks for popping by. Glad you like the pic and I bet you remember my witterings from the last time I did this :LOL:

:cautious: You never know - I might surprise you one day!! Then again - that's in the future. :p Jejejejejeje - that's spanish for hehehehehehe

Jill - You're not only back - you're back on top form. The write up is excellent and a good reminder that the present is all we've got and we should make the most of it.

The piccie is superb - lovely dramatic pose with lots of detail - the bling, the make up, even the right shade of nail polish. I like the lighting coming from above (!!) too. A great start and fantastic interpretation of the theme. (y)

Thanks Jean and thank you for continuing to like both my pics and my cogitations :wacky: The lighting was actually from the window about 3 feet in front and on my LHS ;).

I think I must be a frustrated actress as I love a bit of dressing up - remember Capt Jack Sparrow?

Jean

Welcome back to the 52's Jill, and right back on form from day 1. I really missed your posts. Thought provoking and a great read, with an excellent image showing the future too.

Thank you.

Thank you John for joining in again this year and for your continuing support :)

It seems I can't do this without rambling on about something and it was that as much as the photography that made me want to do this again. glad you still like it :D

Great interpretation of the theme and very well executed :) I love your costume and the position of your hands on the ball :)

Good luck with the year's 52

Not much to say about this week's challenge (Except I shot it on Sunday and waited for something to say before I posted it :thinking:, and still can't think of anything)

Anyway, got up on (sunny :cool:) Sunday morning and we went down to the marina in Garrucha, a coastal town about 30 minutes away. here

And this is what I got........

FLOAT​

6672468525_19b60ecea4_b.jpg

Hope you enjoy it

Well that ticks the theme box :) I love loooove a stroll along a harbour (preferably somewhere warm)

Its a lovely shot Jill - you could sell that locally as a postcard :)

Its one of those 'return' shots as I am typing this I'm scrolling up to look at it and seeing a bit more detail each time :) I like that!

Impressed by the exposure - spot on :)

Well that ticks the theme box :) I love loooove a stroll along a harbour (preferably somewhere warm)

Its a lovely shot Jill - you could sell that locally as a postcard :)

Its one of those 'return' shots as I am typing this I'm scrolling up to look at it and seeing a bit more detail each time :) I like that!

Impressed by the exposure - spot on :)

Cor, that was a quick response :eek:

Glad you like it kind sir, and, for a small fee, you too (two) could walk along there, stopping for a coffee and brandy. (And it was 26C jejejejejjeje)

Cor, that was a quick response :eek:

Glad you like it kind sir, and, for a small fee, you too (two) could walk along there, stopping for a coffee and brandy. (And it was 26C jejejejejjeje)

:) I was going to say the next time we're over..... :LOL:

When you get here in May I'll treat you to a trip to Walthamstow Marina (yes there is one :))

:)

When you get here in May I'll treat you to a trip to Walthamstow Marina (yes there is one :))

You sure about that:thinking:

Lovely shot Jill. I just want to say that I like dark, cold winters in the UK so attempting to tease with shots like these and 26 temps wont work :LOL: Just kidding, Im jealous really! With regards to the composition, I like distant boats/harbour in the backgound, seems to keep it together if that makes sense:thinking:

Jill - you're a witch!!!! :D:D:D That's the shot I wanted, but my location was Lymington, the temperature was bout 10 degrees C, and the sun - what sun! and every boat that is registered there was moored up and you couldn't see for wood for the trees. (Apologies for mixed metaphor!)

This is lovely! Great composition and definitely a great advert for Garrucha. I agree with John - you could sell this as a postcard. It floats my boat. :clap:

How could I forget Cptn Sparrow!!! Yes, I think you must hve been an actress in a former life. :)

Jean

Last edited:
Not much to say about this week's challenge (Except I shot it on Sunday and waited for something to say before I posted it :thinking:, and still can't think of anything)

Anyway, got up on (sunny :cool:) Sunday morning and we went down to the marina in Garrucha, a coastal town about 30 minutes away. here

And this is what I got........

FLOAT​

6672468525_19b60ecea4_b.jpg

Hope you enjoy it

Hi,
That bought back some lovely memories. We were staying just outside Garrucha at the end of November - a few days after you had all of that rain! Thoroughly enjoyed walking along by the marina and loved the fish auction.

I 'sighed' over all of the red prawns that were caught and sighed even more at the cost of them!

So much to photograph around that area and within a couple of hours of there, from the Sierra Nevadas' to the flamingoes.

I don't know what else to add Jill.
Definitely got that postcard feel. Reflections are perfect and the sky and sea set it off beautifully. I'm still waiting for Winter to hit properly here . . . I genuinely love the cold, crisp mornings so I'm not yearning for a holiday anywhere sunny right now. Must admit that seeing blue sky makes a pleasant change from the relentless grey drizzle we seem to have had for months though.

I can't add anything either... bang on... lovely scene... well composed and exposed and those reflections top it off.

Hey Gill,
I did the 52 back in 2010 too and remember you from that. Well done for doing it again - funny enough I am too, thought I would give myself a year off in 2011 :)

Week 1 - nice subject matter, nice pose, good to see you have the guts to do the shot :)
Week 2 - good line, nice use of three's. Works well.

DOOM and GLOOM

6719211115_fd9907f00a_b.jpg

This is about as gloomy and doomy as it gets here :LOL:

When I saw the theme and then the weather forecast I knew exactly what I was going to try to do, but not where or when. Then, sitting in the car on Monday, looking through the wet windscreen when I was in Albox I quickly whipped out my compact (camera ;)) and took the shot.

On a more personal note I'm now full of cold, feeling rough and going to bed so see you all later :wave::wave:

Back