weekly Bruja's 52 2012 (09ers) Reflection/Emotion

Sorry not been here but catching up now!

Communication.I know exactly what caught your eye!! SAme as what caught mine!!! Lovely colours, so vibrant
Fresh start. Another sharp image with great colour.
Identity. Similar to the idea I had for this. I was going to do a single thumb print. Changed my minds as always though and took something completely different! I like this hand print. How did you do it?

Great idea, and works really well... the negative view is probably the best way to display this. So why didn't you go for the full ambience and just boil some cabbage anyway

Those temps are cold... it's bad enough with all the creature comforts... hope it warms up for you soon Jill

Thanks John and glad you like it :) I'm in a centrally heated hotel room for a week in Barcelona (with WiFi) Yipppeeeeee

Fantastic shot I really like it and it is spot on for the theme, similar to what I am aiming for (if I get round to it:( )

Thanks Ruth (y)

Nice Jill....simple and effective and I never would have guessed it was a 'negative' - its a well executed spin on the theme :)

....and thanks for the Tronista info - over here I think it equates to a show called Take Me Out...and that's bloody awful :)

Have fun in Barcelona :)

xxx

Thanks Johnboy ;) Having fun, apart from 36 hours in bed laid up with exhaustion :( but up and about again today and got Simple ready to post and think I got Linear in the bag today too jejejejeje. And YES, I'm taking it easier now :razz:

Hi Jill.

I hope the cold's better now. Yes thanks and arrived in Barcelona on Wednesday for a weeks hol :D But spent half of Friday and all of Saturday in bed with exhaustion after going mad with my camera for the first 2 days. Up and about again today tho. Sometimes this disease reall, really pees me off :razz:
That almond blossom shot by itself should be enough to cheer you up and chase away the sniffles. Absolutely beautiful and really making me long for Spring. It's grey and miserable here.

Identity . . . clever, simple and I do like the white on black. It seems to give it extra impact. Between that and the eyeliner in week 1, this 52 really is getting you in a mess this year Tell me about it, I'm just calling it my 2nd (or is it 3rd?) childhood :LOL:

I wish I could add something more constructive about the photos themselves, but these last two are both absolutely spot on for me. Ooooh, thank you (y)

John,
I can honestly say that I've never seen or heard of "Take me out" . . . and I think that may be a blessing in disguise. It's definitely not going to be on my list of things to search out on the TV !!!

Sorry not been here but catching up now!

Communication.I know exactly what caught your eye!! SAme as what caught mine!!! Oy :naughty:Lovely colours, so vibrant
Fresh start. Another sharp image with great colour.
Identity. Similar to the idea I had for this. I was going to do a single thumb print. Changed my minds as always though and took something completely different! I like this hand print. How did you do it?

The Blue Peter Guide to my handprint:

First spend 2 days trying to find poster paint in local spanish shops :bang::bang:

Second, convince Mr B there must be a small pain roller in the shed somewhere :thinking:

Third, send him back to look for matching roller tray by threatening him with the cleaning up afterwards if I have to use something from the kitchen :rules:

Fourth, go back to said shop when realise A4 paper isn't big enough.

Fifth, remove cats from the room as pawprints weren't quite what I had in mind.

Finally, mix paint to required consistency (this was the messy bit :crying:) coat the roller then roll it onto the palm of hand (I enjoyed that bit ) then quickly place hand onto the card as the bloody stuff dries quickly. Take picture, realise WB is rubbish, can't be bothered to do it again so tried it as a negative, liked it and then got Mr B to clean up afterwards anyway :rules:

Hope this helps Miss C

SIMPLE

6901230191_97718350bd_z.jpg

This is simply the only thing that gets me going every morning :D

This one was enjoyed on Friday morning sitting on the promenade at the Olympic Port in Barcelona (and I love those cups :love::love: they're porcelain but look like melted plastic)

I love those cups too :D

I like the slight reflection you have under the saucer and contrasting background :)

Glad you're warm again Jill, much better ;)... As for the blue peter instructions... sounds like a lot of pavlova to get it sorted out...

Simple... That is a weird cup and saucer... I like it... a good shot, which in itself is clean and simple... love the background.

Nicely done Jill, great still life and a great cup and saucer too. Particularly like the surface and reflection you've caught! The composition is very nicely done too :)

Good one! :D (oh and loved the Blue Peter instructions...jeje) :)

I thought it was a crunched plastic one! Simple indeed and I like the bg.

Thanks Michael - as for the bg it was just on the table in front of me :D

I love those cups too :D

I like the slight reflection you have under the saucer and contrasting background :)

Thanks Ruth (y)

Glad you're warm again Jill, much better ;)... As for the blue peter instructions... sounds like a lot of pavlova to get it sorted out...

Simple... That is a weird cup and saucer... I like it... a good shot, which in itself is clean and simple... love the background.

Thanks John, home again and I have to say it is starting to warm up again at last - at least during the day. Managed to get in a few hours of sunbathing :D As for the bg, as I said above it was just snapped in the cafe.

Nicely done Jill, great still life and a great cup and saucer too. Particularly like the surface and reflection you've caught! The composition is very nicely done too :)

Good one! :D (oh and loved the Blue Peter instructions...jeje) :)

Thanks John. As for the instructions, you know what the local shops are like ;)

Once again apologies to all as I haven't commented on anyone's pics this last week - but I have been on my hols :cool::cool:

The picture for Linear was taken in Barcelona too (I was there from Wed - Wed so I covered 2 weeks themes (And I wish I was there for Passion too :LOL: ;) :naughty: )

Hope you like it ........

LINEAR

6786292392_5af2ee9fff_z.jpg

Last edited:
Nicely seen and shot Jill.....messes nicely with my eyes too :D

Now my only tiny niggle is the angle of the glass make it look a tiny bit skewiff....not sure if straightening it out so the two foremost pillars are level horizontally would through anything else out though!

I do like the muted colours of the greens, greys and browns I must say :)

Passion....Barcelona hosts a museum of erotica by the way :) An interesting visit it is too :nuts::nuts::nuts:

Jill - I loved your Blue Peter guide to Identity! :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Week 7 Simple - Excellent (we're both interested in the Simple things in life, then!) with fantastic cups. Had you eyed up the chinaware before your chose your breakfast destination? They're brilliant. As is the photo, I can almost smell that coffee - the reflection finishes it off nicely. I can't believe it was really a 'quick snap'!!!

Week 8 Linear - I'm commenting on this even though I haven't posted mine (I have shot it and will post later!)

At first glance I thought it was a pedestrianised street with two rows of trees! Very well observed and spot on for the theme. Like John, I think the colours work really well - and it also messes with my eyes!

I hope you've enjoyed your holiday - and are feeling passionate about Week 9!!! :naughty: :)

Jean

The Blue Peter Guide to my handprint:

First spend 2 days trying to find poster paint in local spanish shops :bang::bang:

Second, convince Mr B there must be a small pain roller in the shed somewhere :thinking:

Third, send him back to look for matching roller tray by threatening him with the cleaning up afterwards if I have to use something from the kitchen :rules:

Fourth, go back to said shop when realise A4 paper isn't big enough.

Fifth, remove cats from the room as pawprints weren't quite what I had in mind.

Finally, mix paint to required consistency (this was the messy bit :crying:) coat the roller then roll it onto the palm of hand (I enjoyed that bit ) then quickly place hand onto the card as the bloody stuff dries quickly. Take picture, realise WB is rubbish, can't be bothered to do it again so tried it as a negative, liked it and then got Mr B to clean up afterwards anyway :rules:

Hope this helps Miss C

There is a simpler way you know.......use an ink pad? :thinking: :naughty:
Well done on taking all that effort!!!

Simple: Wow. plastic?! Very simple shot and well executed. Looks like treacle though, too strong for me!
Linear: Picture of two halves, straight down the centre but it works. I dont notice the "skewiff" as my eyes are all over the place! Love it

Last edited:
you've found a great one for messing with our heads there Jill :D... very very good... took me ages looking at it to work out what it was so top marks for engagement. Love it... bang on for the theme too, although it's very subtle.

Nicely seen and shot Jill.....messes nicely with my eyes too Thanks John, it is to the side of the Palau de Musica in Barcelona and the doors are polished steel rather than glass.

Now my only tiny niggle is the angle of the glass make it look a tiny bit skewiff....not sure if straightening it out so the two foremost pillars are level horizontally would through anything else out though! I think I've got it the least skewwiff I can.

I do like the muted colours of the greens, greys and browns I must say

Passion....Barcelona hosts a museum of erotica by the way :) An interesting visit it is too Well for those that need it I suppose :LOL:

Jill - I loved your Blue Peter guide to Identity! :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Week 7 Simple - Excellent (we're both interested in the Simple things in life, then!) with fantastic cups. Had you eyed up the chinaware before your chose your breakfast destination? They're brilliant. As is the photo, I can almost smell that coffee - the reflection finishes it off nicely. I can't believe it was really a 'quick snap'!!! Yup, just taken against the background of the table - no fancy tricks - just the reflection of the dark ceiling making the bg look black, and the discovery of the cups was purely by accident, so, having considered the theme I thought go for it, grabbed my trusty 5D and there you are :)

Week 8 Linear - I'm commenting on this even though I haven't posted mine (I have shot it and will post later!)

At first glance I thought it was a pedestrianised street with two rows of trees! Very well observed and spot on for the theme. Like John, I think the colours work really well - and it also messes with my eyes! Good, I've achieved my objective then :D. it's amazing how many people have since seen it and at first glance thought it was just a street - mind, if Reflection comes out this week I'll have harsh words with DS :nono:

I hope you've enjoyed your holiday - and are feeling passionate about Week 9!!! :naughty: :) Lovely holiday - and less of the smut you :D

Jean

There is a simpler way you know.......use an ink pad? :thinking: :naughty: Inkkpad, Inkpad (in my best Importance of Being Earnest voice ;)), it was difficult enough trying to get poster paint!
Well done on taking all that effort!!! Thanks Miss C

Simple: Wow. plastic (no - porcelain)?! Very simple shot and well executed. Looks like treacle though, too strong for me! 2 double expressos (dos cafe solo doble) every morning for me :eek:
Linear: Picture of two halves, straight down the centre but it works. I dont notice the "skewiff" as my eyes are all over the place! Love it Lovely, thanks!

you've found a great one for messing with our heads there Jill :D... very very good... took me ages looking at it to work out what it was so top marks for engagement. Love it... bang on for the theme too, although it's very subtle.

Thanks John, I try (that's me trying to be humble :LOL:) MrB reckons I regularly mess with his head :shrug:

PASSION

6805395616_70067a855b_z.jpg

Well this one is a bit of a cheat as it's 'one I made earlier' in Barcelona, but it was so fitting for the theme as it the run up to Easter and 'La Pasion' is of much importance in Spain as all the brotherhoods (Cofradias) get ready for the Easter Processions. It from the facade of La Sagrada Familia (The Holy Family) and designed by Antoni Gaudi. It shows Christ carrying his cross and then being crucified.

The only other ideas I had would have had to carry an NSFW and probably have frightened small children (and most adults I fear) as they were all very :naughty: :nuts:

Good take on the theme, Jill - although I did wonder if you'd be making a quick trip back to Barcelona to the museum John mentioned! (How does he know about it, I wonder? :cautious: )

I had thought about wandering round one of our local churches given the time of year, but had no time. So obviously, I can see 'passion' in your shot. I like the colours and you get full marks for composition and framing. :clap:

I can't complain about you cheating, since I did as well!! :D

Jean

Good take on the theme, Jill - although I did wonder if you'd be making a quick trip back to Barcelona to the museum John mentioned! (How does he know about it, I wonder? :cautious: )

Cos I've been there :)! :D:nuts::naughty:

Jill I love Barcelona and I love Gaudi's work (y)

Beautifully captured and a fantastic interpretation of Passion!

And to think in 2009 I posted a shot of a Frisbee! This knocks that into a cocked hat! (y)(y)(y)

Excellent Jill... love the feel of the statues, good depth to them, and perfectly lit. Bang on for the theme.

Passion, that is a very good pic. Great lighting and composition works well.

Thanks Michael

I had thought about wandering round one of our local churches given the time of year, but had no time. So obviously, I can see 'passion' in your shot. I like the colours and you get full marks for composition and framing. :clap:

I can't complain about you cheating, since I did as well!! :D

Jean

Thanks Jean, and full marks - WOW :nuts:

Cos I've been there :)! :D:nuts::naughty:

Jill I love Barcelona and I love Gaudi's work (y)

Beautifully captured and a fantastic interpretation of Passion!

And to think in 2009 I posted a shot of a Frisbee! This knocks that into a cocked hat! (y)(y)(y)

Thanks so much John, one of my better efforts I think - and I haven't had to use a crowbar yet :D

Excellent Jill... love the feel of the statues, good depth to them, and perfectly lit. Bang on for the theme.

Wow, lots of praise this week - thanks John

Just to let you know I haven't disappeared :)

I'll be back next week playing catch up but won't be looking at anyone else's until then.

Tomorrow I'm running a photography workshop for the Town Hall and 2 weeks after that I've got another exhibition at the museum so I've had lots of prep to do for those.

Wish me luck :D

Good luck Jill, although I'm sure you won't need it ;)

This is a twofer :)

I'm a bit behind as I've been busy recently. As you know I was invited by the Mayor to do a Photography Workshop at the local museum :eek:

Well, it took place last Saturday and I had 4 hours on the basics of photography such as composition and perspective as well as basic post processing using Picassa as it is a free programme and most of the participants had compact cameras and hadn't read their instruction books or uploaded any camera software :shrug:.

I had a group of 9, 5 late teens early twenties and 3 in their forties; 3 women and 5 men and ALL were Spanish so I had to do the full 4 hours in Spanish and I was :wacky: afterwards and spent 2 days in bed :(

However it all went well and I even got a round of applause at the end (although that was maybe because I had stopped talking :nuts:)

Their next task is to submit up to three pics by Tuesday this week then there will be the judging panel and prizes given on Saturday which cooincides with the opening of my second exhibition at Museo Pedro Gilabert in Arboleas. So I've been processing and printing pics for the last few days too. The worst thing is trying to think of what to call them but I think I've finally cracked that.

Anyways - I owe you all comments and I still need to do my Hands pic although I did manage to do my combination Reflection/Emotion shot today.

I hope you like it because I had to break a mirror to do it so I hope it's worth 7 years bad luck :razz:

REFLECTION/EMOTION

7013580331_eebf9d1240.jpg

Broken Hearted

PS Just had another look at it and it seems a little OOF :(

Last edited:
Good work on the workshop Jill, sounds like a real challenge to me, and I'd probably end up wanting to not do anything for two days after too (but then I can't speak a word of spanish :))

Are you judging the competition ??

Good luck with the exhibition, but it sure sounds like the prep work has been keeping you very busy.

A great idea to fill two themes in one Jill, and it works. I can't for the life of me work out how it is you shot that ... :thinking: I like it, although as you say there's an element of blurriness to it which is highlighted by the ... well... highlights on the left hand side. As for breaking a mirror for your art, that's dedication for you... Did you use the broken bits for any other shots though... I'd get shot if I were to try the ideas that a fragmenting in my head now :D

Back