weekly Bruja's 52 2012 (09ers) Reflection/Emotion

Ahh Jill....hard to imagine Albox in the rain following the glorious week we spent there last year.

I like the shot....it speaks volumes and I'm sure we've all looked on that very scene in our own backyards...a wet, cold, empty street and us on the right side of a pane of glass :)

Its almost like a surreal painting :)

Sorry you're feeling grotty! Hope it clears soon! :)

Nicely sums up the weather very gloomy :(
I like that there is just enough focus to see through the rain.

Hi Jill :wave:

You've made a great start this year - best "Future" shot I've seen so far :clap:

I'm also qute jealous of you shot for week 2 - lovely framing with the reflections, harbour in the background and beautiful blue sky. John is right too - exposure is bang on.

Doom & Gloom - yep, that says it! Hope the weather perks up and you are feeling better soon ;)

JIll, I hope you're feeling better - and didn't catch your cold out there in that rain. Rain in Spain! Never! ;) :)

I love the shot - the focus on the rain drops gives a nicely blurred view through the window and conveys the Doom and Gloom very well. A good take on the theme. :clap:

I get you've got lots of ideas for Communication. (y)

Jean

Hi Jill long time since we chatted on this site...:thinking:

Just started to get back in to my photography and decided to take a look and see who was still around on this site...and looks like I never left...
Just looking over your 52s so far and wow... you have upped your game young lady...
1 Future...you put so much thought and effort in to the shot...it a real winner for me.:clap:
2 Float... can’t believe you use your own boat for the shot...:LOL::LOL::LOL: it’s once again a stunning shot.:clap:
3 Doom & Gloom... a great interpretation of the theme...where you live Gloom must be so hard to find....:clap:
Keep up the great start, looking forward to your 52s...

Nice one Jill, a good interpretation... I was wondering if you'd come back to the UK for a while when I saw the shot

Thats not nearly gloomy enough!! You should see out of my window today!! A lovely take on the theme

That certainly is doom and gloom! Been the same here today.

Thanks Michael. I guess we need the rain as there has been virtually none this autumn/winter so far.

Hi Jill nice to see you back....good luck in the coming weeks....

Jeff

Hello Jeff :wave: nice to see you too and thanks for stopping by.

Ahh Jill....hard to imagine Albox in the rain following the glorious week we spent there last year.

I like the shot....it speaks volumes and I'm sure we've all looked on that very scene in our own backyards...a wet, cold, empty street and us on the right side of a pane of glass :)

Its almost like a surreal painting :)

Sorry you're feeling grotty! Hope it clears soon! :)

As I said above, we need the rain really. It does look a bit impressionistic I suppose and I'm glad you like it :)

And, no, I'm still feeling grotty :(

Nicely sums up the weather very gloomy :(
I like that there is just enough focus to see through the rain.

Thanks Ruth, and as for the focus I just pressed the button and hoped for the best ;)

Hi Jill

You've made a great start this year - best "Future" shot I've seen so far :clap:

I'm also qute jealous of you shot for week 2 - lovely framing with the reflections, harbour in the background and beautiful blue sky. John is right too - exposure is bang on.

Doom & Gloom - yep, that says it! Hope the weather perks up and you are feeling better soon ;)

Wow, thanks. Glad you like them.

Great to see you on here too and I'm glad you're joining in. Memories eh ;)

JIll, I hope you're feeling better - and didn't catch your cold out there in that rain. Rain in Spain! Never! ;) :)

I love the shot - the focus on the rain drops gives a nicely blurred view through the window and conveys the Doom and Gloom very well. A good take on the theme. :clap:

I get you've got lots of ideas for Communication. (y)

Jean

Thanks Jean. Still grotty I'm afraid :(

Loads of ideas but no energy :shake: so lucky I grabbed something on Monday :) I just hope it's enough.

Hi Jill long time since we chatted on this site..

Just started to get back in to my photography and decided to take a look and see who was still around on this site...and looks like I never left...
Just looking over your 52s so far and wow... you have upped your game young lady...
1 Future...you put so much thought and effort in to the shot...it a real winner for me
2 Float... can’t believe you use your own boat for the shot...:LOL::LOL::LOL: it’s once again a stunning shot
3 Doom & Gloom... a great interpretation of the theme...where you live Gloom must be so hard to find...
Keep up the great start, looking forward to your 52s...

Wow, Marcus, hello again and welcome back. Like you I haven't been on here much for about a year and a half so thought I needed a kick up the bum to get me motivated again, and it's even better when you say nice things to me ;) Glad you think I've upped my game too.

Nice one Jill, a good interpretation... I was wondering if you'd come back to the UK for a while when I saw the shot

Hi John - back to the UK, not unless there is shopping involved :LOL: although I am coming over for the convention (again). There's dedication :LOL:

Nice concept - I miss Spain, we have far too many days like that

Of course I remember you :) and glad you like what you've seen so far.

Thats not nearly gloomy enough!! You should see out of my window today!! A lovely take on the theme

Thanks Miss C. And not to rub salt in the wound it's been sitting out weather for the past week :LOL:

COMMUNICATION

6765112207_78a81b3873_b.jpg

Not a good week for me as I'm still feeling pretty grotty :(

I took this on Monday as a 'just in case' and ended up using it anyaway as I didn't get out anymore. What I was really looking for was some kind of non-verbal communication, a couple holding hands or kissing, a parent or grandparent and child. Just something involving people but it was not to be.

Something like these........

3295270808_29aa613cbd_m.jpg

3179111443_e56538e022_m.jpg

3179949752_1f53430bec_m.jpg

I remember in 09 that something must have been up as it was just about the most boring picture I could ever take just to not miss the week :nono:

But then I looked more closely at the picture and thought 'there's definitely something caught my interest there' :naughty::naughty: so maybe it's communicating something after all :LOL:

Hi Jill

First of all as far as I’m concerned you never take a bad photo (well never any we get to see):LOL:

This works really well for the subject, although what women see in a man in his pants is beyond me...:thinking:

For a quick grab (just in case) shot it works great and a nice light touch for the boarder...:clap:

Hope you’re feeling better soon...Take care...:love:

Oh also have to say like John, you got a cracking camera and worthy of the photographer...:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Jill nice one :) Well composed and exposed - another 'lots to look at shot' (and of course I like to work through the Spanish ("presents and surprises" - oo err :)). I nearly went for a string of posters myself....it flitted through my mind...glad I didn't as nothing round here is quite as exotic :)

I like the play of light on the wall as well....gives the shot atmosphere

One thing: 'actual tronista'....'current...?' I can't work that out although I seem to have seen 'bachelor' somewhere

(also great to see those people shots again....that last one of the old couple....ace! :))

Hope you feel better soon Jill...besos xxxx

Mmmmm.... I do like Friday!! :naughty: And I've allowed my imagination free reign on what 'actual tronista' might mean. :naughty: Oooops, sorry, supposed to be looking at the picture depicting 'Communication', aren't I!! Well, Jill, I think you've communicated extremely well. :LOL:

As DS said the play of light on the wall works well - I see the rain's stopped. There's lots to look at, the colours draw the eye round the various posters and insurance shot or not - it does the job very nicely. (y)

I'm so sorry you're still feeling rotten - take care. Next week is a Fresh Start so I hope it brings the spring back to your step. :)

Forgot to add that the other three pics are brilliant Communications - especially the last one. :)

Jean

Last edited:
All four really work well imo, I like the idea you were aiming for but the posters really fit the theme they are there to communicate their information to you after all :)

A great idea Jill and well executed. The posters fit the theme really well. Sorry to hear you're feeling grotty, hope you're back to normal soon

FRESH START

6807207183_167f72ef58_z.jpg

Well it's almond blossom time here in Spain :D

And if it wasn't so flipping cold and windy I'd be out there taking pictures. Contrary to popular belief we do get winter here in Spain and today it has managed to climb to 2C :eek:

The problem with this is, for the almonds, a lot of the trees are above 600m and the low night temperatures are around -5C so there is frost. The blossom is very delicate and a couple of nights of this can kill it off with disastrous consequences for the future harvest.

Spain is second only to California for its almond production, and Almeria, especially the north where we live, produces the bulk of that. There are many groves here above 1000m and the last year we had temperatures this low was our first winter here (Feb 2005) and the result was catastrophic for the almond growers. This cold front is set to last for a few more days so I don't hold out much hope :(

Anyway, I wrapped up warm and took the picture you see above showing both last year's fruit and this years flowers. The nice thing about taking the picture outside is I don't have to deal with nasty shadows :D

If you'd like to see the pictures I took of the almond blossom last year they are here

Right, fire's on and I'm snuggled under my furry blanky with a nice cup of tea waiting so I'll bid you goodbye for this week :wave:

Hi Jill, hope you are feeling better now. Sorry I havn't popped in for a while - I have also been ill with a nasty sickness bug.

Communication - I do like the poster shot - it fits the theme and is nice and colourful. I also like the other idea you had involving hum interaction - maybe it is something you can revisit when you are feeling better.

Fresh Start - beautiful shot, and I learnt something about almonds too! The whole feel of this shot is really tactile - I think the different texturs come through really effectively and that lovely sky just accents the soft colour of the flowers perfectly.

I am also under my blanket typing this as it has been snowing here and I was stupid enough to go out in it. I was hoping to get a shot not unlike yours but there is definately no blossom in the south east UK yet so I wasn't quite so successful!

That's beautiful, Jill and, as Fi so rightly says, very tactile. It almost leaps out of the screen and makes me realise how low the light levels are here in winter. I ws thinking along similar lines this week - but without the co-opertion of Mother Nature. ;)

I do hope the almond blossom survives and cold - it's devastating when an important crop fails. (I've plenty of experience of this on the allotment with the vagaries of our climate!)

I hope everyone goes and looks at your fabulous almond blossom shots from last year - guaranteed to bring a bit of sunshine and a smile. :)

Hope you're feeling better.

Jean

Jill...this brings back wonderful memories :) of an extremely hot day tramping about with Reg :) Hard to imagine it's cold there now :(

Lovely fresh crisp shot, great colours and such a lovely blue sky!

Yep a Fresh Start is nicely caught there :) Hope you're snuggled up and toasty :)

Besos!

John

First of all - apologies to all of you who commented last week, for some reason I didn't reply :bang::bang::bang: Thank you all very much, and Marcus I'm glad you think the camera is worthy of me ;)

Hi Jill, hope you are feeling better now. Sorry I havn't popped in for a while - I have also been ill with a nasty sickness bug.

Communication - I do like the poster shot - it fits the theme and is nice and colourful. I also like the other idea you had involving hum interaction - maybe it is something you can revisit when you are feeling better.

Fresh Start - beautiful shot, and I learnt something about almonds too! The whole feel of this shot is really tactile - I think the different texturs come through really effectively and that lovely sky just accents the soft colour of the flowers perfectly.

I am also under my blanket typing this as it has been snowing here and I was stupid enough to go out in it. I was hoping to get a shot not unlike yours but there is definately no blossom in the south east UK yet so I wasn't quite so successful!

Thanks Fi, and I can see what you did after going out in the snow :LOL:

Your picture say's anything but cold to me! It has lovely colours and textures :)

Thanks Ruth. I never thought I'd need thermals in Spain :LOL:

That's beautiful, Jill and, as Fi so rightly says, very tactile. It almost leaps out of the screen and makes me realise how low the light levels are here in winter. I ws thinking along similar lines this week - but without the co-opertion of Mother Nature. ;)

I do hope the almond blossom survives and cold - it's devastating when an important crop fails. (I've plenty of experience of this on the allotment with the vagaries of our climate!)

I hope everyone goes and looks at your fabulous almond blossom shots from last year - guaranteed to bring a bit of sunshine and a smile. :)

Hope you're feeling better.

Jean

Thanks Jean. The light here is better and clearer in the winter than in the UK that's for sure. In fact it is at its worst in the summer as it is a very hard light which bleaches out everything.

I've only got a bit of a cough now so things are looking up, and next week we're off to Barcelona for a week :)

Jill...this brings back wonderful memories :) of an extremely hot day tramping about with Reg :) Hard to imagine it's cold there now :(

Lovely fresh crisp shot, great colours and such a lovely blue sky!

Yep a Fresh Start is nicely caught there :) Hope you're snuggled up and toasty :)

Besos!

John

Well it's warmed up slightly now but they've had snow up at the Sanctuario :eek:

Glad you like the pic and I'm off now to figure out who I am for Identity ;)

What a lovely blue sky, and fresh Almonds... hoping to start at least. Fits the theme perfectly, and a lovely shot.

I remember this from 09 - I scared the bejaysus out of you with this one ......

3335905958_3d101a2fc3_m.jpg

Well you'll be relieved to know I've gone for something a little less scary this time ;)

IDENTITY

6856056643_f246297e08_z.jpg

I couldn't get the look I wanted as the picture I had in mind just wouldn't transfer to the page, although I did have a lot of fun using a small roller to get the poster paint onto the palms of my hands :LOL:, and the smell of the paint took me back 50 years :eek: to junior school. All that was missing was the aroma of boiled cabbage. So I settled for this eventually which is simply the negative of the original photo.

On a slightly different note I've just remembered that I haven't enlightened DS on the term 'actual tronista'. Well.........

This took a bit of researching as it not yet in any dictionary. Tronista has only recently come into use here and in Italy as a term taken from a TV Game Show and from what I can gather as I haven't seen it yet (honest) it's called Men & Women (Hombres y Mujeres). The Tronista sits on a throne (hence tronista) and young, nubile women have to attempt to seduce him with the winner getting to go out with him :eek: Yes, this is Catholic Spain (or Italy) but they love their game shows here. I remember 8 years ago, standing in an electrical shop in our local town Albox and catching Gran Hermano (Big Brother) with full frontal nudity, at 11 in the morning. I didn't understand any Spanish at that point but I didn't need to :LOL:

Actual means Current so this guy was the 'Current Tronista'

And on Wednesday day we're off to Barcelona for a week so let's hope we don't get snow. Temperatures there are currently between 5 and 10C with -4 to -10C at night :(

Bye for now :wave:

I couldn't get the look I wanted as the picture I had in mind just wouldn't transfer to the page, Oh, I know that feeling only too well! although I did have a lot of fun using a small roller to get the poster paint onto the palms of my hands :LOL:, and the smell of the paint took me back 50 years :eek: to junior school. All that was missing was the aroma of boiled cabbage. Hehe - you big kid, you! :LOL: So I settled for this eventually which is simply the negative of the original photo.

And on Wednesday day we're off to Barcelona for a week so let's hope we don't get snow. Temperatures there are currently between 5 and 10C with -4 to -10C at night :(

Bye for now :wave:

It's a good interpretation of the theme, Jill, and I rather like it as a negative image. I'm glad you had such fun with painting your hand - I hope your camera's not covered in it too.

Have fun in Barcelona. Five - 10C during the day would be welcome here at the moment. See you next week!

Jean

It's a good interpretation of the theme, Jill, and I rather like it as a negative image. I'm glad you had such fun with painting your hand - I hope your camera's not covered in it too.

Have fun in Barcelona. Five - 10C during the day would be welcome here at the moment. See you next week!

Jean

Well I tried red and white but white card doesn't really come up that white :( I could have tried a custom WB but :shrug:............

As for the temperature, at 10am it was 1C and we don't have central heating, double glazing or fitted carpets brrrrrrrrrr cos we don't usually need them. This winter has been our coldest in 7 years and some of my plants have turned up their toes and gone crispy :(

Great idea, and works really well... the negative view is probably the best way to display this. So why didn't you go for the full ambience and just boil some cabbage anyway :D...

Those temps are cold... it's bad enough with all the creature comforts... hope it warms up for you soon Jill

Fantastic shot I really like it and it is spot on for the theme, similar to what I am aiming for (if I get round to it:( )

Nice Jill....simple and effective and I never would have guessed it was a 'negative' - its a well executed spin on the theme :)

....and thanks for the Tronista info - over here I think it equates to a show called Take Me Out...and that's bloody awful :)

Have fun in Barcelona :)

xxx

Hi Jill.

I hope the cold's better now.
That almond blossom shot by itself should be enough to cheer you up and chase away the sniffles. Absolutely beautiful and really making me long for Spring. It's grey and miserable here.

Identity . . . clever, simple and I do like the white on black. It seems to give it extra impact. Between that and the eyeliner in week 1, this 52 really is getting you in a mess this year :LOL:

I wish I could add something more constructive about the photos themselves, but these last two are both absolutely spot on for me.

John,
I can honestly say that I've never seen or heard of "Take me out" . . . and I think that may be a blessing in disguise. It's definitely not going to be on my list of things to search out on the TV !!!

Back