Bruja's Photo 52 + Night

Well for once my first idea panned out :)

Here in Spain there is a rather relaxed attitude to clubs, especially those on the outskirts of a town. For a start they are open 24 hours a day, although, in common with the UK the prices of the drinks can be very expensive.

A friend of a friend (honest :D) told me of one local club where every drink was €10, even a glass of water :eek:

It all became clear however when I discovered, a few years ago, that they are not nightclubs but rather clubs where the ladies of the night (and day) offer a range of services :muted: to an all male audience.

And, as you can see, they don´t exactly keep a low profile :shake:

NIGHT​

3683817593_6759718dc9_o.jpg

Here you´ll find more evidence of the type of Club this is. Remember, it´s not advertised as a hotel :eek:

Also I took my trusty bodyguards with me as I didn´t want to end up in a sticky situation (and no, that´s not a pun :()

And, on a slightly different note, :woot: we´re halfway through, so well done to everyone who´s still here. If we got this far we can do it all again (y)

Oooh er missus!! Well done for risking your personal safety to get this shot. The red neon looks great in the dark, and the light on the right hand side has your peering in for a closer look, very voyeristic!!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Oooh er missus!! Well done for risking your personal safety to get this shot. The red neon looks great in the dark, and the light on the right hand side has your peering in for a closer look, very voyeristic!!

Thanks Angela (y)

It was a bit scary as you can see the side of a man at the 'tradesman's entrance' :eek:

And I didn't want him coming over and causing a fuss so I just wound the window down and rested the camera on the door frame. It helped with the longish exposure as well :D

They are called puti clubs (pronounced pooty clueb) and puta means whore in spanish.

Well, what can I say, Jill? I'm trying to work out if I can ever use the new addition to my very limited Spanish vocabulary. :LOL::LOL::LOL:

A good shot with just enough detail to make you look carefully. Very well balanced lighting-wise. (y)

It sounds as though you were sensible to stay in the car - with the engine running for a quick escape if necessary, I hope! :eek:

The only slight niggle - it doesn't half show up the dust on my screen. :p

Jean

Halfway there Jill, I like the neon, I like the reception sign and the shadowy figure but I cant help feeling I would like to be able to make out the lower half of the scene a bit more.

Fits the theme nicely.

Well that has to be real dedication . . . risking your personal safety for a shot.

I really like that, but I wish that I could make out more in the lower half too. On the otherhand if they're cars that I think I can see, it might be wise not to publicise who might have been visiting that particular errrm "club" :D

Well done Jill, love the image. The details in the dark, make you want to look closer and see more. Good call on the bodyguards and quick getaway too

Lots I like about this and Angela sums it up - you want to see more so you peer..... :)

Colours are outstanding!

Las Mujeres De La Noche :) has a ring to it :D

Well, what can I say, Jill? I'm trying to work out if I can ever use the new addition to my very limited Spanish vocabulary. Hijo de puta = son of a bitch :D

A good shot with just enough detail to make you look carefully. Very well balanced lighting-wise. (y) Thanks Jean

It sounds as though you were sensible to stay in the car - with the engine running for a quick escape if necessary, I hope! :eek: Yes it was, thank god for IS is all I can say :D

The only slight niggle - it doesn't half show up the dust on my screen. Oops, sorry :D

Jean

Halfway there Jill, I like the neon, I like the reception sign and the shadowy figure but I cant help feeling I would like to be able to make out the lower half of the scene a bit more.

Fits the theme nicely.

Ah, but that´s the trick, 'always leave them wanting more' :D It's supposed to look sinister and scary, not lit up (and I certainly wasn´t going to get closer with a flash or a tripod :shake:

Well that has to be real dedication . . . risking your personal safety for a shot.

I really like that, but I wish that I could make out more in the lower half too. On the otherhand if they're cars that I think I can see, it might be wise not to publicise who might have been visiting that particular errrm "club" :D

Thanks SarahLee. Yes they were cars, but see reply above too ;)

Well done Jill, love the image. The details in the dark, make you want to look closer and see more. Good call on the bodyguards and quick getaway too

Thanks John, glad you love it. Makes the scariness worthwhile and it was the only way to get the shot.

this image strangely draws me in ;)

well done :)

Thanks for that, I´m glad it worked.

Lots I like about this and Angela sums it up - you want to see more so you peer..... :)

Colours are outstanding!

Las Mujeres De La Noche :) has a ring to it :D

Thanks John, I tried for sinister and mysterious and it seems to have worked, and because there are no other buildings around there was no light pollution so I was able to capture the neon in all it´s glory (y)

Last edited:
All your shots appear to have err disappeared!:shake:

Nope there they are, internet problems hid them from me.........

I like the night shot very much you've got the composition spot on again.

Mark(y)

Last edited:
Excellent image, love the way the colours light up my screen...(y)

You do make me laugh with your stories on how you risk life and limb for your 52s...

Well done that young lady...:clap::clap::clap:

Excellent image, love the way the colours light up my screen...(y)

You do make me laugh with your stories on how you risk life and limb for your 52s...

Well done that young lady...:clap::clap::clap:

You are always very kind Marcus, and glad my exploits amuse you :D

love the exposure and colour on this :D

Thanks Ruth, appreciate it (y)

Love the shot - great symmetry and emptiness in the image - almost looks like a ghost town with the weeds and plants growing up and out of the pavements.

Very nice take on the theme - I quite like the lone palm tree at the end of the avenue too :)

Catch up time...

This is lazy C&C but I completely agree with Dark Star re development - and love it for all the same reasons.

Freedom - very thought provoking and great job getting two themes in one shot (y)

Night - great composition, the little details really do keep you interested :clap:

There have been many highlights in my life (and I hope there are still a few more to come :D)

The birth of my 2 children, 3 marriages :eek: (but especially this one), graduating (twice), having my book published, my first photography exhibition .......... These are all big ones, but I try and remember the small ones too: last week 3 of my Spanish friends turning up with a birthday present for me (they'd kept it a secret) and it made me feel so special. A friend ringing to say she missed me, an email from my son, someone on here saying something nice about one of my pictures - small things that we can so often pass over and forget in our daily lives. And we can easily forget that it is the small kindnesses that make our lives worthwhile more than the huge but occasional things that happen to us. They are all highlights.

For me, trying to find a small highlight in a day or week keeps me balanced and helps me appreciate what I've got. So, here it is ..........

HIGHLIGHT

3713598696_a80747cbb4_o.jpg

Lesson learned this week

Sometimes a topic does nothing for me even if I have lots of ideas about it and then I realised, it's not the topic, it's me :( Sometimes I just can't get motivated to do it and I do a 'well that'll have to do' shot. You may have spotted them ;), and this is one of them, sorry.

Last edited:
Catch up time...

This is lazy C&C but I completely agree with Dark Star re development - and love it for all the same reasons.

Freedom - very thought provoking and great job getting two themes in one shot (y)

Night - great composition, the little details really do keep you interested :clap:

Great to hear from you again (y)

Glad you like the pictures ;)

Lovely, inspirational words from you again - I love reading your posts.

I almost did the pen thing too, but I'm glad I didn't. Yours is the second one I've seen and they're both better than I would have done.
As I said, I like the photo . . . but somehow it just doesn't live up to the words around it this week.

Last edited:
Lesson learned this week

Sometimes a topic does nothing for me even if I have lots of ideas about it and then I realised, it's not the topic, it's me :( Sometimes I just can't get motivated to do it and I do a 'well that'll have to do' shot. You may have spotted them ;), and this is one of them, sorry.

Jill - I think we all have weeks like this - I know I do - and I hate myself when I do a 'that'll have to do' shot. So I really sympathise. Having said that, your shot may not be the one that floats your boat, but it's well composed and presented, so don't be hard on yourself. :)

Belated 'happy birthday' - don't the years fly by??? :eek:

I hope the 'fun' in this week fires your togging enthusiasm up to its usual high levels. :)

Jean

Jill, it's a well composed colourful shot. Where did you find Manga highlighters :D... As Jean has said, it happens to us all on the shot.

Excellent words as ever Jean, we really will have to get onto the Mods about getting you made "Yoda of the 52's" :notworthy:

a belated Happy Birthday from me too.

:clap:First of all a very Happy belated Birthday from me too.:clap:

This is the second Highligther pens shot I've seen, so great minds think alike...sadly not mine...:LOL:

You have done very nice job of it too, the lightings good and it's a very pleasing and composed shot...(y)

Lovely, inspirational words from you again - I love reading your posts.

I almost did the pen thing too, but I'm glad I didn't. Yours is the second one I've seen and they're both better than I would have done.
As I said, I like the photo . . . but somehow it just doesn't live up to the words around it this week.

Thanks SarahLee, glad you enjoy the words, and as you know, I don't think the photo matches up either :shrug: still, we all have weeks like that.

Jill - I think we all have weeks like this - I know I do - and I hate myself when I do a 'that'll have to do' shot. So I really sympathise. Having said that, your shot may not be the one that floats your boat, but it's well composed and presented, so don't be hard on yourself. :) I won't, cos I know you'll send the boys round :LOL: :bat:

Belated 'happy birthday' - don't the years fly by??? :eek: Thanks Jean, 54, where have the last 30 years gone?

I hope the 'fun' in this week fires your togging enthusiasm up to its usual high levels. :) Fun!!!!! What's that when it's at home :D

Jean

Jill, it's a well composed colourful shot. Where did you find Manga highlighters :D... As Jean has said, it happens to us all on the shot.

Excellent words as ever Jill, we really will have to get onto the Mods about getting you made "Yoda of the 52's" :notworthy:

a belated Happy Birthday from me too.

Thanks John for the support and for the birthday wishes too. Glad you are still enjoying the words (y) Can't remember where I got the highlighters but I found them in a box after I'd gone and bought some cheap ones.

:clap:First of all a very Happy belated Birthday from me too.:clap:

This is the second Highligther pens shot I've seen, so great minds think alike...sadly not mine...:LOL:

You have done very nice job of it too, the lightings good and it's a very pleasing and composed shot...(y)

Thanks Marcus, but it's still a boring shot :D

ooo i like the arangement and the faces on the highlighters give added interest :D

Thanks Ruth, and I've looked like all of them at one time or another ;)

Thanks SarahLee, glad you enjoy the words, and as you know, I don't think the photo matches up either :shrug: still, we all have weeks like that.

It's still a good, well-composed photo, so don't be so hard on yourself.
I think that you just set the bar so high with the words, that it would be difficult to get something to match up. From what I can see you've managed it every other week though.

I know that I'm going to have that sort of week too, and I just hope that I can come up with something as effective.

Happy belated birthday from me too.

I like it, wonder why:LOL:, the shadows are a touch harsh but the idea and execution are good and it fits the theme well.

Mark(y)

Lesson learned this week

To be completly honest I can only agree with you - and sympathise because that is exactly how I felt about this theme and my own paltry effort at a shot to illustrate it... It'll happen to us all along the way I am sure. Still at least you got the shot in and you can be honest about how you feel about it ;)

Happy Birthday Jill, good idea, composition is ok but the shadow at the top is a bit harsh (holding a bit of white card/paper can help kick light back in), I would prefer the background to be lighter ideally but the shot works fine as is.

Do keep writing the preludes to your shots Jill, great little insights into your life. Your shots/insights/comments have often made my day.

Wishing you many, many more happy birthdays.

I like it, wonder why:LOL:, the shadows are a touch harsh but the idea and execution are good and it fits the theme well.

Mark(y)

Thanks, I´m definitely going to try again with the next Reshoot card.

To be completly honest I can only agree with you - and sympathise because that is exactly how I felt about this theme and my own paltry effort at a shot to illustrate it... It'll happen to us all along the way I am sure. Still at least you got the shot in and you can be honest about how you feel about it ;)

Thanks DS, I´d be fooling myself if I thought it was a good shot ;)

Happy Birthday Jill, good idea, composition is ok but the shadow at the top is a bit harsh (holding a bit of white card/paper can help kick light back in), I would prefer the background to be lighter ideally but the shot works fine as is.

Do keep writing the preludes to your shots Jill, great little insights into your life. Your shots/insights/comments have often made my day.

Wishing you many, many more happy birthdays.

Thanks for the advice, like I said, definitely a Reshoot. I hope you enjoy this week´s too ;)

And I certainly plan on having many more birthdays (y)

Back