Buying at duty free Dixons

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All,

I am currently looking into purchasing a D700, and have just been at Stansted Airport and seen the D700 for £1700, i asked if it would come with a UK warranty and the guy said it will come with a European 1 year warranty, is this the same as a UK waranty?

Will i be able to take it back to Currys Digital if there's anything wrong with it, i forgot to ask the guy at the time, so wondered if any of you knew?

Thanks,

Jonathan

A European warranty is not covered in the UK (though you should check with Nikon to be sure) and I may be wrong but I think the duty free shop is for outgoing travellers not incoming, if you buy it there and bring it into the UK you'll have to pay vat and duty.

The Dixons stuff is all covered with a UK / EU warranty.

I fly in a week,and might have a little look at their wares :)

Anything you buy in Tax free you can take back to ANY Currys, Currys.digital, or PC world store in the UK. If you have to swop something over the manager may be a bit funny with the amount of discount that needs to be done to match the tax free price, but to date, ive always done it.

They also have a website on which you can get them to reserve stuff for you so you know when you get to the airport that they'll have what you want.

£1700....tax free? Jessops are doing it online at £1749, so it's no bargain. The duty free shop at Glasgow Airport used to sell TAG Heuer watches and I saw the one I had then just bought and the tax-free price was £10 more than I had paid at Watches of Switzerland the week before :thinking:

Last edited:
Annoyingly whenever I fly, there is never anything I need or want!

£1700....tax free? Jessops are doing it online at £1749, so it's no bargain. The duty free shop at Glasgow Airport used to sell TAG Heuer watches and I saw the one I had then just bought and the tax-free price was £10 more than I had paid at Watches of Switzerland the week before :thinking:

Good job i didn't buy it then!!

Will wait til it comes down a bit any how.

Jonathan

I've never thought that the prices at Dixons 'duty free' looked very good. However having checked their website they are selling the D300 for £808.50 which does seem tempting.

I phoned up as I am flying on Saturday... was sort of tempted to pick up a D300, as it'll cost me about £775 in reality.

They really try to upsell CF cards and bags.. "so you'll want a CF card and bag with that" - 4 gig CF card they are asking £89.99 for...and £50 for a £20 bag...

They also tried to talk me into getting an 18-200 VR which insulted me enormously :)

They also tried to talk me into getting an 18-200 VR which insulted me enormously :)

Okay, I'll bite. I know you like to get around - it is getting more and more difficult to travel around with a shed load of kit so it does make some sort of sense to buy a lens that does all (albeit not as well as specific lenses may).

If you were the PFY in Dixons that had a request for a decent camera body, whould you not try and flog a 'decent' lens to go with it?

Any idea how much it was going for? I'm also flying out shortly!

Chris

I phoned up as I am flying on Saturday... was sort of tempted to pick up a D300, as it'll cost me about £775 in reality.

They really try to upsell CF cards and bags.. "so you'll want a CF card and bag with that" - 4 gig CF card they are asking £89.99 for...and £50 for a £20 bag...

I thought you hated the D300, if you do buy it, then there will be a little someone i know who will be waiting to buy it off you when you remember how good your D60 is ;)

When are you going? this Saturday isn't it?

Have a great time! Oh and don't forget to bring me back a stick of rock ;)

Jonathan

OK, I'm hooked - how does something advertised at £808.50 cost £775 in reality?

those airport shops are so over-priced. I think it has something to do with how costly the ground-rent is at airports so shops (duty free or not) have to push their own prices up to cover for the rates payable to... BAA usually.
wonder what would happen if the airports de-regulation actually does go ahead.

re-invigorate flying perhaps as people flock to the duty-free once more (wishes)

its funny with Dixonstaxfree some of their stuff is ridiculously cheap, yet some seems more expensive than the high street. I saved nearly 300 quid on my macbook pro, but memory cards etc seem overpriced. Pays to do your homework beforehand and make sure the prices are for like for like, and if it does save against genuine UK stock go for it, if it doesnt obviously dont,

Its all UK stock in there too, so covered by UK/EU warrantry as has been mentioned

Bought a D80 18-135 Kit @Dixons duty free in May after cashback from Nikon it cost me £520 cheapest i could find anywhere at the time.

its funny with Dixonstaxfree some of their stuff is ridiculously cheap, yet some seems more expensive than the high street. I saved nearly 300 quid on my macbook pro, but memory cards etc seem overpriced. Pays to do your homework beforehand and make sure the prices are for like for like, and if it does save against genuine UK stock go for it, if it doesnt obviously dont,

Its all UK stock in there too, so covered by UK/EU warrantry as has been mentioned

I am thinking that they make their money on upselling things like memory cards. I am off to Ireland in October and plan to get a D300 from them, just let them try upselling! :LOL::naughty:

as you have already said, memory cards are expensive as this is where the money is made. We make little or no money selling hardware alone, therefore having a memory card, case and lens to a package will improve the margin ten fold

Back