Calling All Pentax & Samsung Users!!!!!!!

Hi all, havn't checked here in a while we seem to be a growing group. :)

Cheers :)

I joined TP last month and did not become aware of this thread until a few days ago.
Glad since I wanted a few Pentax owners with whom to share opinions.

All the stuff on the forum is good, but sometimes you need contact with those who have the same kit.

Hey peeps.

I am trying to work out if its worth buying the grip for my Samsung GX10. I mean, I do want it, but its a hell of a lot of money! £122 is the cheapest I have seen, but is it worth it?

What are your experiences with it?

Cheers!

Rob

I could never see the point of a grip, a lot of money just to hold an extra battery were my thoughts.
Then I was offered one very cheap for my K10D and always one to make an easy profit I bought it to put on Ebay expecting to make a few quid.
As I had it there I decided to see what all the fuss about ... since putting it on the thing has not left my camera, it makes SO much difference.
The body is just so much better balanced, especially with a large lens on it, there is of course the extra battery but in the Pentax vesrion there is also space for a memory card (has saved me a couple of times) and the Pentax infa red remote.

Hello again all,

Can anyone recommend a macro lens for us pentax users that doesn't completely blow the bank? I have looked at the sigma 105mm and the Tamron 90mm. Would be interested to hear some views on them.

Rob

I'm afraid I can't really help Rob, I have thought about trying macro a few times but never had the cash. If you take the plunge please let us know how you get on, I would be very interested!

I have heard good things 105 Macro however, have u tried googling for reviews?

I have been bitten since getting the 70-300mm tamron thathas a 1:2 close up function. It would be nice to have a go with true 1:1 though.

I have googled and read good things, but its always nice to get some thoughts from people on here too, reassuring too.

I'll keep you posted if I decide to get a macro lens. Mike P has suggested I look to older lenses, an avenue I'd not considered so that may also be an option.

Nowhere seems to have the Samsung Grip in stock, looks like Samsung could be pulling it from production, if they haven't already!

I've finally upgraded from a Nikon Coolpix 950 to a GX10, only had it a week or so. Delighted with it so far and I'm sure that things can only improve with time and practice.

Hi,

This week first DSLR and went for a Pentax K-m......... why that you may well ask?

Well partly due to remember dad always having Pentax's back in the 70's and 80's, and partly because swayed away from Sony Alphas by a semipro colleague, and partly because couldnt justify the price between the Pentax and equivalent package between equivalent Canon/Nikon deal...........

Being a convert form a point and shoot, don't know an awful lot about it, but I guess as to any novice to a (reltaively) new hobby.........

and as Dad has joined the digital (non SLR) age at a tender 70 yrs old, I can swipe his telephoto zoom lens out of the "ME Super bag" as I believe it will fit straight on!!

i think to strengthen the pentax/samsung camera line-up is to focus on making a FF camera.

Personally I think they should focus on the upgrade to the K20D.
I would never bother with a FF camera, I have no need for one and lets be fair any one that has will already have jumped to Nikon or Canon.
Pentax's days of being a pro users brand have long gone so I see no need for FF but there are a LOT of enthusiasts out there that still remember the name when it was bigger than Nikon and they have stuck with Pentax because of the quality of their kit, weather sealing, built in IS, ability to use ALL the old Pentax mount lenses and the LTD series of prime glass.

There are a lot or rumours floating around that there will be an announcement very soon of a new model but who knows.

I have also noticed a few more Pentax users starting to filter in since the K200D and K-m were introduced.

Hmmm, looks interesting.

post-1970-1240400101_thumb.jpg

index.php

Hi all,

Just thought I'd put the feelers out to see what peoples thoughts/experiences are with the DA* range of lenses. I have been wondering about saving for the 50-135 or the 60-250. How do they compare against the sigma HSM II range?

18 - 250mm Disappointed with that and got rid of it (now discontinued)
55 - 300mm very good
10 - 17mm good IQ, but has no filter thread since it gives 180° field of view.

I'm currently Canon user but changing Pentax in next few month when I get time for selling and buying...

18 - 250mm Disappointed with that and got rid of it (now discontinued)
55 - 300mm very good
10 - 17mm good IQ, but has no filter thread since it gives 180° field of view.

DA* range with the internal motors?

no worries, I wondered if i was getting confused!

Pentax DA* 16-50mm f2.8 is a cracking lens when you get a decent one, super sharp and I dont think anything can touch it tbh. Infact it won the Am photographer mag 2009 zoom of the year beating both Nikon and Canon offerings.

Just got the DA* 60-250mm f4 and you know how you read that the Canon 70-200mm f4 is one of the best performing lenses in their range .. well even after just a few quick test shots I am thinking this will be one of (if not) the best Pentax lens.

Shot at 250mm wide open at f4.

Orders my new K20D yesterday. I've now got a very tense weekend to wait for it to arrive on Monday.:clap:(y):D:woot::banana:
pentax.gif

Not waiting for the new model announcement next week then?

No.
Having read all the information available on the internet, IMHO I don't think Pentax is doing the right thing. It's got basically the same sensor and I don't thing DLSR should have video on them. Plus for double the price you get the same camera. When Pentax bring out the new firmware for the K20D, it should make the high ISO performance even better. :D

I've discussed this at length over in the PentaxForum.com.

No.

I gave up on the numerous threads on there, it has all got a bit silly to be honest. I decided whan I bought my K10D I would jump a generation at least on any upgrades and its still giving me excellent results so I will wait a while before deciding what to do.

Last edited:
No.
Having read all the information available on the internet, IMHO I don't think Pentax is doing the right thing. It's got basically the same sensor and I don't thing DLSR should have video on them. Plus for double the price you get the same camera. When Pentax bring out the new firmware for the K20D, it should make the high ISO performance even better. :D

Is there concrete info about the new model ?

I will not want to pay for a video facility that I'll never use. I don't actually need Live View for that matter.

Is there concrete info about the new model ?

I will not want to pay for a video facility that I'll never use. I don't actually need Live View for that matter.

I can't prove it but going of the
emot-airquote.gif
unofficial leaks
emot-airquote.gif
it seams to fairly consistent. The only way to be sure is to wait for the 21st. :D

P.s. it's only like Canon doing the 500D. :p

Last edited:
I can't prove it but going of the
emot-airquote.gif
unofficial leaks
emot-airquote.gif
it seams to fairly consistent. The only way to be sure is to wait for the 21st. :D

P.s. it's only like Canon doing the 500D. :p

At least you have a date.

My K20D arrived today. I'm going to get no work done. :D

I'm currently awaiting delivery of my first DSLR - The K100D. It should have arrived at the end of last week - now I find out that somebody forgot to send it - So it'll be the middle of this week!:(

Unless the K-7 has substantially better predictive/continuous autofocus -which would be *really, really, really* nice to have- I am not going to upgrade.

The K20D is just my second DSLR and barely a year old (had a K100DS before this)...it's still more camera than I know what to do with.

I do not care for a 'metal' body, or EVF or Live View or HD recording. I am happy with the AF-S mode even in low light, happy with the high ISO performance, love the ergonomics and the build quality, and happy with the weather sealing.

Only vastly improved AF-C performance can make me upgrade. With the rumors of the SAFOX VIII making yet another appearance in the K-7, I doubt if there will be any improvement.

My K20D arrived today. I'm going to get no work done. :D

Maybe worth checking if it has the latest firmware update which can be got here:-
http://www.pentax.jp/english/support/digital/k20d_s.html

You can check the version in your camera as follows:-

Don't put a memory card in the camera.
Turn on power whilst pressing the Menu button

Firmware version will display for a few secs.

Latest version is 1.03.

If you have that you need do nothing.

Bet you like the feel of the K20d. Robust, ain't it!

Maybe worth checking if it has the latest firmware update which can be got here:-

Latest version is 1.03.

It's the first thing I did, after getting it out of the box. Even before playing with it. :)

And yes it does feel very good in the hand. And I've got very big hands. :D

Latest version is 1.03.

Thanks for that arclight. I just checked mine and it says 1.01 I guess I need to update it. :bonk:

Thanks for that arclight. I just checked mine and it says 1.01 I guess I need to update it. :bonk:

I understand the update improves the accuracy of the Shake Reduction system. Some folk claim it now gives the equivalent of 5 stops.
I think that is probably wishfull thinking. Not quite as good as that, but good nevertheless.

I understand the update improves the accuracy of the Shake Reduction system. Some folk claim it now gives the equivalent of 5 stops.
I think that is probably wishfull thinking. Not quite as good as that, but good nevertheless.

Thanks arclight. It sounds like it's definately worth doing.

Cheap grip for £45 if you have a Jessops near you with stock.
K10D & K20D owners. LINK

Thanks Mike, that is cheap. My FIL has one on his K10D and loves it. I can't make my mind up about it though. I only have small hands and I am not sure that I want the extra weight and size.

*ist D owner here. Only had it 4 years, we hardly know each other. Long time ago I was an Olympus owner but the last one got stolen and was replaced by an MZ10 with two kit lenses. When everything started going digital I waited for *ist D a) to arrive and b) to come down to my £500 jump in point. I chose Pentax because I never got on with Canon and found Nikon lenses too expensive. I think only Olympus would tempt me away but not yet.

what i think the unique selling points with pentax are:

there lenses are really nice and cheap
all accessories are cheap and affordable especially for students
the range is ok
they have some features other makes havent thought of like weather seals.

Back