Calling All Pentax & Samsung Users!!!!!!!

:plus1:

Got mine for £59 in Jessops

Clifton Cameras are currently advertising it at £89 VERY LIMITED OFFER (Pentax fit).
All other mounts are much dearer.

Hiya fellow Pentaxians, hope this is ok with the mods, so here goes

Just having a clear out and found the K100D Super Manual I printed out at A4 size in its folder, all 225 pages of it
Free to anyone who wants it and will pay the postage otherwise its off to the recycling bin

Moved on to a K200D now, so any takers just let me know

Alternatively collect from the Cambridge area

Cheers
Rich

I played around with a pre-production K-7 a couple of weeks ago, and it's really impressive.(y)
Feels like a precision tool compared to the K20D..build quality is high..partly due to the Mag body I assume, the switches and knobs are well positioned, and the shutter makes a 'sophisticated' sound :D.. a gentle click rather than the loud CLACK of the K20D (which itself isn't as loud as most others!). Single mode AF is much improved over the K20D: no more hunting, it just decides and and locks. Didn't play with the continuous AF long enough to draw a firm conclusion, but it too feels faster than the K20D.

All in all, an excellent, compact package with tons of useful features.

I am will get one, but not right away. Let the early adopters be the beta testers.:razz: I'll get one around October.:)

Any Pentax owners subscribe to the Pentax eNewsletter.
Announcement on the Pentax Forum that there is a problem and it is being sent out in duplicate.
I should be so lucky - just got it 80 times!

I believe its happened to quite a few people.

On another note, Pentax start a cashback offer from the 2nd November .. details are as follows (as posted by Chris from SRS)

Cashback is available on simultaneous purchases of any Pentax products; DSLR, compact, bridge camera, lens, flash, grip, accessory or binocular to the following values on your receipt or invoice:

• £50 cashback is available on purchases of £650
• £100 cashback is available on purchases of £1,000
• £150 cashback is available on purchases of £1,500
• £250 cashback is available on purchases of £2,000'

Any thoughts on the new Pentax Kx ?
The model seems quite well specified considering its position in the pentax range.

Although I would love a K7 as a future upgrade from my K100D, the Kx seems to be the much better camera in nearly all ways (although I am just wondering if I could live without the top lcd screen and the eye piece focus markers).

Last edited:
Although I would love a K7 as a future upgrade from my K100D, the Kx seems to be the much better camera in nearly all ways (although I am just wondering if I could live without the top lcd screen and the eye piece focus markers).

I would say that apart from ISO performance the K-7 is better in every way. K-7 has: Mag alloy body, Top screen, more focus points (and visible), more fps, weather sealing, battery grip available, 100% viewfinder, better lcd, external focus light, external microphone socket, better video, second control wheel, ability to straighten horizon in camera, micro focus adjustment and probably more I have forgotten.

K-x looks a fine mid range camera but its not in the same league as the K-7 imo. Don't forget that the ISO of the K-7 when shooting raw is up there with the D300 and 50D .. it just looks as though the K-x could be slightly better.

Ooops, I just realised how I wordered things earlier, I didnt mean to compare the K-x to the K-7, Sorry! was meaning compared to the K100D.

Hi guys looking for a little help.
I'm looking to move back to a more conventional SLR with either a 1.5 crop or full frame but my price range is probably looking at Nikon D300 level.
I've been pointed in the direction of the Pentax K7 as an alternative to a Sony A700 is this a similar level DSLR?
Also how easy us it to get lenses for a Pentax, is there a widely available range?

Hi guys looking for a little help.
I'm looking to move back to a more conventional SLR with either a 1.5 crop or full frame but my price range is probably looking at Nikon D300 level.
I've been pointed in the direction of the Pentax K7 as an alternative to a Sony A700 is this a similar level DSLR?
Also how easy us it to get lenses for a Pentax, is there a widely available range?

As long as you are not thinking of going pro or are ready to drop quite a few grand on a fast long telephoto then yes Pentax have a wide range of lenses available including fisheye, macro, Ultrawide and very good quality weather sealed zooms. You can also use every single lens produced by Pentax and other makers going back years and all with IS because it is built into the body (same as Sony and Olympus). Pentax arguably have the best range of small primes as well.

Best go and handle a K-7 though as its a small camera even though its weather sealing and build quality is (imo) superior to other cameras in its price range and you may not find its to your liking.

It is getting good reviews at the moment though. LINK

I will go and handle a Pentax am I right in thinking Jessops do not stock them any longer?
What are noise levels like on the K7 I would like to do low light/night photography also.

Yes, Jessops no longer stock them as Pentax refused to give them any more credit .. a bit like Sigma who only supply to order through Jessops now. As for noise, as long as you shoot raw then mostly same as the D300/D50 .. if you shoot just jpeg then there is more and you will have to use some noise reduction in camera (or software). The reason for this is that the K-7 does not apply any noise reduction until ISO 1600 as default.

Best look at the DSPreview link I put earlier .. loads of samples there.

I'll mention that argos do stock Pentax in store and are fairly competitive (Although I saw that Pixmania were £100 less for the K-x then anyone else) with the K-7. They might bring one out for you to look at.
Otherwise Dixons/Currys are stocking them as well so should have a shelf display model.

Cheers guy's I tried Currys but they only had a box! and the new Jacobs only had the Kx rather than the K7, so not been able to handle one, I am going to consider it as the lens range seems to be pretty good for my needs and I like the idea of being able to get older lenses too, although I guess thats the same for just about any of Sony/Nikon/Canon also.

Well the Sony can use older Minolta lenses the Nikon range is more difficault, something like the D300/s is very much backwards compatable but models like the D60 or D80 I think are limited to SDM type lenses only.

I've only seen the K-7 once on display at the Dixons airport shop but it did look a similar size and shape as the K100D, which I think is a bit bigger then your olympus, but i've found that to feel great to use, and my D70 owning friend loved the smaller size and lower weight of the Pentax too. (she did consider the K-7 if it wasnt for lens investment already)

Size isn't as big an issue I'd probably prefer something larger than my Olympus it hasn't got the best grip to hold onto.
I thought I wanted something small when I bought my e620 but I've not been as happy with the smaller size, so anything probably up to A700 size and I'm happy, will need to seek out a K7 to try.
Also noticed the K20D is cheap as it's being discontinued, how does it compare to the K7?

K20D / GX20 are both good. based on the same sensor thats in the K7 and retains the weather sealing. It's a fair bit bigger though and missing a few of the features such as video recording or the HDR mode.

Well I have reserved the GX20 and 16-45 at Jacobs, brand new for only £550 which seems good but I am going to have a serious think I have until next week to see what I want to do, I was half thinking about just picking up a used Sony A200/A300 and waiting for the new A7xx level DSLR from them.

Blimey, thats a good price, looks like you are getting the body for around £300 there.

Just thought I would chip in with a bit of advice for Pentax users who are thinking of tethering there cams to there laptops. The K10d requires a software update available on the pentax website.

Here http://www.pentax.jp/english/support/download_digital.html
The above ensure compatability with the "remote assistance" program.

You can check for other updates also.
Here http://www.pentax.jp/english/support/

To run your K10/20 tethered to your laptop will require you to install the software suites that came on the CDs with the cams. You will then have to download and install remote assistant 3 from here.

http://www.pentax.jp/english/support/digital/remoteassistant_k10d_win.html

K10d owners need to update there firmware first before connecting cam to there laptop/remote assistant. The program should recognise your camera and all settings will be accessible via the laptop.

K20d owners simply connect your camera after opening remote assistant and turn on.

Vista operating systems, like myslef, may find that remote assistant wont recognise your cam. It didnt mine anyway. To solve this, right click the shortcut on your desktop and choose "properties" now in the "compatability" tab tick the box "run as administrator" and remote assistant should now recognise your cam.:D

Last edited:
Yeah I've reserved it still trying to make my mind up but it does seem a cracking deal, would you describe a K20D/GX20 as equivalent to a Sony A700?

Just had a brief look at the A700 and I think its got the edge on it. The A700 looks entry level DSLR while the K20D/GX20 was the mid range models.

You also gain live view on the K20D/GX20 that the A700 doesnt have.

Liveviews not the best feature on the K20 IMHO

Well I've got the GX20 reserved, £550 brand new with a Samsung 16-45 lens also, I will have a play with it in the shop and make sure I feel it handles well.
Although I've also been offered a potential deal of my E620 + cash for a Nikon D300 with less than 5000 actuations, but I think it would probably cost around £900 (E620 and cash) for the D300, is it worth that much more than a brand new GX20 with lens?

Thats a big difference in cash, you can get some nice glass for the samsung with the difference.(y)

Thats a big difference in cash, you can get some nice glass for the samsung with the difference.(y)

Thats true, I'm not sure the D300 body is worth the premium alone especially as the GX20 is just as weatherproofed as the D300 which is a big draw for me,

Depends also on the type of shooting your doing, fast sports or motorsports and the faster AF and FPS will beat the samsung.

Depends also on the type of shooting your doing, fast sports or motorsports and the faster AF and FPS will beat the samsung.

I'm maybe like to do motorsport but to be honest right now its landscapes and buildings; maybe also some street shooting thats my main draw,

Also I know that the 50-135 is a highly tipped lens but is there a fairly cheap zoom lens, maybe 70-300, doesn't have to be great? Its just to indulge my interest in commercial airliners to see if I can get some shots, is the Sigma 70-300 APO available in a Pentax mount?

That D300 doesnt sound a good deal, not considering a friend of mines got a brandnew one from jessops last month for £150 more without having to trade anything in.

I'd go with the GX20 easy, and considing the lens its coming with, thats a blinder of a deal!

As for motorsport, the GX20 will be fine, I did a rally last week with my K100D and it managed fine. I think only the 5 fast continuous shots before it slows down was the hindrance, which the GX20 wont suffer anywhere near as early as the K100D does.

The Sigma 70-300 apo is available, yes :)
As is the Tamron 70-300 as well.

Maybe as an all rounder, you could look towards the Tamron 18-200 (ok its not as good as the 18-250 but the price difference now is staggering since the prices increased) or the Sigma 28-300

If you fancy doing some street or landscape shots, although I think its probably more suited to portrait shots now, try and obtain an older smc-a 50mm manual on ebay. Lovely prime lens quality wise and can be a right bargain. I got a 50mm F/2 for £25 that way. Much nicer then the £150 + it costs for a new one.

That D300 doesnt sound a good deal, not considering a friend of mines got a brandnew one from jessops last month for £150 more without having to trade anything in.

I'd go with the GX20 easy, and considing the lens its coming with, thats a blinder of a deal!

As for motorsport, the GX20 will be fine, I did a rally last week with my K100D and it managed fine. I think only the 5 fast continuous shots before it slows down was the hindrance, which the GX20 wont suffer anywhere near as early as the K100D does.

The Sigma 70-300 apo is available, yes :)
As is the Tamron 70-300 as well.

Maybe as an all rounder, you could look towards the Tamron 18-200 (ok its not as good as the 18-250 but the price difference now is staggering since the prices increased) or the Sigma 28-300

If you fancy doing some street or landscape shots, although I think its probably more suited to portrait shots now, try and obtain an older smc-a 50mm manual on ebay. Lovely prime lens quality wise and can be a right bargain. I got a 50mm F/2 for £25 that way. Much nicer then the £150 + it costs for a new one.

Well I've been swithering today after playing with a K7, was very impressed was half thinking about getting it over the GX20 but part of me thinks I'd be better with the GX20, the saving in body I could spend on lenses.
Question actually, how small is the viewfinder on the K20/GX20?

Right peeps, need some help here.

I dropped my samsung 360 flash earlier (reall p'd off right now). It flashes fine but no longer zooms. It's stuck at 24mm and when you try the manual adjustment it wines the the zoom value flashes 28.

Is this repairable do you think? If so can you recommend a repair centre? I thought about dropping in to park cameras with it.

I could claim on the house insurance as it's covered, but it was An eBay bargain at £100, and so I need to check if I am covered for replacement or what I paid as £100 won't replace it.

Your help is appreciated!!

Rob

Thought I'd post here as well as I've got a K20D (which I upgraded from the K10D). It's a great camera and I'm very happy with it. :)

Last edited:
Without sounding too gushing about the K-7 I'll just say it's a fantastic tool ;)
Lovely to handle and operate, built like a tank, featured packed and to cap it all has excellent image quality. Very pleased with it :)
I've had mine since last July last year and I'm glad I decided go for it when I did.

Previously I had a K20D and before that I was an Oly user.

What do you K-7 owners make of the high ISO say 3200, is it acceptable or do you need to do a lot of noise reduction?

Back