Calling All Pentax & Samsung Users!!!!!!!

Since I had no legacy lenses to tie me down to a brand, I had the option of all brands when i chose my first dslr (K100DS) and once more when I upgraded to a K20D last year and decided to stick with Pentax. The reason i chose the K20D was
-in built SR..all lenses are stabilized.
-well constructed body with weather sealing
-superb ergonomics.
-great lenses...the DA series optimized for digital are small and light yet give excellent IQ...the DA*s are also weather sealed
-awesome primes..Limiteds :love:
-excellent IQ and low ISOs and acceptable (for me) at high ISOs.
-generally a helpful online community
-'different' from the rest:razz:
- excellent value for money, especially the bodies and the DA lenses.

Cons
-poor AF-C performance.
-relatively poor availability of accessories and lenses.

(y)
How do you like the lens so far?
It's next on my LBA list once it's released where I live:D

I have only had it a few days and its been raining ever since I bought it (although not a problem for the majority of Pentax users;)) but from the looks of it so far it's going to be as good as the 16-50mm and 50-135 f2.8's which can only be a good thing.

At the moment I cannot see a reason for keeping my Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 and converters.

I have only had it a few days and its been raining ever since I bought it (although not a problem for the majority of Pentax users;)) but from the looks of it so far it's going to be as good as the 16-50mm and 50-135 f2.8's which can only be a good thing.

At the moment I cannot see a reason for keeping my Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 and converters.

If it's as good as the *16-135s then it will be awesome. ;)The first shots from the Dpreview forums do look promising. I was toying with the idea of getting the DA*300/4, but I'll be getting the 60-250 instead..it will be very versatile given it's zoom range.

BTW, great lens collection you have there.:)

The first shots from the Dpreview forums do look promising. I was toying with the idea of getting the DA*300/4, but I'll be getting the 60-250 instead..it will be very versatile given it's zoom range.

The 60-250mm is not far off DA* 300mm quality at all and that is saying something considering you are comparing a zoom with a prime. it's also a excellent performer if you add the Tamron 1.4x or Pentax 1.7x converter.
The F* 300mm f4.5 is a super little prime if you want something of that range later on but a lot cheaper than the DA* 300mm f4.

BTW, great lens collection you have there.

Thanks, the DA* 60-250mm is actually the first brand new full price bit of kit I have bought apart from a memory card :LOL:.

The 60-250mm is not far off DA* 300mm quality at all ....

That's music to my ears..er i mean, a nicely exposed image to my eyes.:D
I think holding off on the purchase of the *300/4 was a good decision on my part. I almost bought one last month, but resisted the temptation and decided to wait. I could not have afforded both the lenses within such a short time period.

Now to wait for the 60-250 to be available here *sigh*.

i have not even considered getting a Pentax but i have looked in to it alittle since finding this thread and i think i may have been converted lol

Its now between an olympus e520 or a k20 its driving me made not knowing what to choose haha

i have not even considered getting a Pentax but i have looked in to it alittle since finding this thread and i think i may have been converted lol

Its now between an olympus e520 or a k20 its driving me made not knowing what to choose haha

I make a point of not ramming Pentax down the throats of of people (unlike other brand users who flock down as soon as someone mentions getting a new DSLR) which is why I never comment on those types of threads.
I am sure which ever you go for will do just as good a job, I really know nothing about Olympus but the K20D is a fine camera.

The thing I will say is that both brands are slightly restricted in lens choice but unless you are thinking of going pro and spending thousands on a long fast tele then there is nothing to worry about .. if you think you may at some point then choose a Canon or Nikon.

Yeah, like the the £800 I just paid for my Pentax DA* 60-250mm f4 or the £1100 I paid for a manual focus Pentax A* 300mm f2.8 (actually that WAS cheap believe it or not)

PLEASE tell my wife they were cheap :LOL:

That's one brute of a lens in the case.

That's one brute of a lens in the case.

Got it from a pro motorsport photographer who needed to go autofocus as he was getting on a bit and his eyes were not as good as they used to be.
Came with 1.4-L and 2x-L teleconverters and I can honestly say they make no noticeble difference to image quality at all.
Only downside is that it is 100% metal and weighs 3kg on its own.

This was a test shot taken with the 2x converter, hand held @ 1/90 speed (Now tell me inbody SR is not as good as in lens). 600mm hand held.

And this is a shot taken with just the lens on its own

They are very convincing shots.

I got a Sigma 120 - 400mm lens recently and find it a struggle to handle. Always try to rest it on something.

My grip and battery arrived yesterday. I'm really glad I went for it. You don't really notice the extra weight and the camera feels a lot more balanced.

Thanks again Mike.

Way hay. I've just got a grip from Jessops. It just seemed silly not to get one at that price. I was planing on investing in one anyway.

The K20D now fells oven better.

Good find Mike. :D

Well, today I managed to pick up my first DSLR - The K100D. I look forward to having a bit of a play with it over the weekend.

My grip and battery arrived yesterday. I'm really glad I went for it. You don't really notice the extra weight and the camera feels a lot more balanced.

Thanks again Mike.

How much does it weigh, pl?

The grip with a battery in it weighs about 320g or 11 1/2oz arclight.

Cheers - normal price of that item is £170.

Jessops are clearing out their Pentax stock.
Item is available for collection only. No store near me has one.

Not something I'd pay £170 for, but Jessops price is a bargain.

I got lucky, when I first looked it was out of stock for home delivery but when I looked again it was showing as available. I ordered it half expecting to get an email saying it was actually out of stock but it arrived the next morning. I even got free P&P as I managed to get a Pentax battery fo go with it for £9.97, taking me over £50. I'm a happy shopper!

Daresay there are a few on the bay by now, still probably a good bit cheaper than the rrp

Not much good to me, got a K200D although the grip for it was considerably cheaper than £170
Can't even make use of the cheap battery either, there again actually like it using AA's

Come on Jessops, find a stash of cheap Pentax lenses please

Nowhere seems to have the Samsung Grip in stock, looks like Samsung could be pulling it from production, if they haven't already!

Rob, I have just ordered the grip from........ Argos !!! £164 delivered !

I am a Samsung Dealer and No distributors have it !!

Oh forgot to say !!!

I have a a Samsung GX-1S, GX-10 & my GX-20 is arriving on Wed. load of lenses and I am really happy with the quality.

Hello pal, I managed to get mine from Jacobs digital in the end for £154 delivered. It was the last one they had!!

Also got a week ago a Tamron 90mm Macro for £269 shipped, the last one they had in stock before the price hike. They are now selling them at £337. Got there just in time.

The grip is great and hasn't been taken off my camera since I got it. The Macro lens is wonderful Quality, but yet to really put it through its paces.

Hi,

Just got a Samsung GX10, 18-55mm Samsung lens, Tamron 70-300mm lens and Samsung SEF-36PZF flashgun. Loving it!!

I did have a Canon 30d that i bought last week but just couldnt get it to deliver good photos.

Matt (y)

Help please fellow Pentax users. I stupidly left my K20D on the sofa and left the room for a minute. When I came back it was on the floor with my Lab puppy looking very pleased with herself. :bang: It seems to be OK but is there anything she could have done that's not immediately obvious (it must have had quite a bump) and I can check for? Also she has bitten of the rubber eye piece can I buy these anywhere or will I need to get in touch with Pentax?

Just fire up the camera and take a few shots, pay particular attention to the focus incase the lens hit first which may have knocked something inside (mine did the same thing, cost me £100 to get the lens fixed).

Rubber eye cup here, may find it cheaper on Ebay

Thank you so much Mike. I was in a bit of a panic. :nuts:

£10 for a tiny bit of rubber though! There's obviously money to be made from idiots like me. Still hopefully that is all it will cost.

Thanks for the idea Mike but I don't really do macro. My dogs are my favourite subjects, when they aren't eating my camera. :D

Hey all,

Just thought I'd let you all know, I had a play with the K-7 on Saturday. Pentax were at Park Cameras demoing it and chatting to people about it.

Its a lovely bit of kit, smaller than the K10 and K20 but feels very comfy. Superb build quality and my god the shutter is quiet!
Its got a whole feast of features, pentax are pushing the point that they tried to listen to what people wanted after the K20 was released and encorporated all they could.
Apparently all Pentax lenses will now be weather sealed, not just the high end ones, including the kit lenses that come with the body.

In all I was impressed with it, but its not going to be cheap.

Rob

K10d owner here, very nice kit. Just came back from coast and noticed a dust bunny:eek:, whats the best kit for cleaning?

Fellow GX10 owner reporting in for duty.... Great camera, love the menus and button layout and the top LCD is a real bonus in low light / action situations. Now looking at some decent glass, especially the AW lenses coming out shortly, oh and a macro and a WA and a 50mm and... noooooo!!!

Regards

Carl

My vote for bargain lenses vs quality must go to the Tamron 70-300mm zoom, very impressed with it, decent macro as well. Cheap as chips.:D

:clap::clap::clap:

I bet the Tamron Adaptall-2 60-300mm knocks spots off it ;)

Back