Calling All Pentax & Samsung Users!!!!!!!

I find the K-7 high ISO performance to be very similar to the K20D (no slouch) which is fine as far as I'm concerned.
I always shoot RAW and post process with CaptureOne or in combination with Helicon Filter. So any noise reduction is handled in that manner.

Here is a recent example of a K-7 ISO 3200 image taken before the New Year...

"Harbour wall meeting" (Padstow)

Last edited:
Nice shot at 3200, only taken shots at 800 on my K20 and very impressed by them.

Nice shot at 3200, only taken shots at 800 on my K20 and very impressed by them.

Thanks ste, yes I find that providing you nail the exposure you are generally OK. Of course monochrome helps with higher ISO providing the image suits. Long and short is the anyone considering a K-7 shouldn't worry about high ISO IMHO :)

So Pentax owners what level of sharpening do you use? in cam or post processing. I have it set tp -1 in cam and sharpen the file in CS3. Views?

So Pentax owners what level of sharpening do you use? in cam or post processing. I have it set tp -1 in cam and sharpen the file in CS3. Views?

I use 'natural' colour balance setting for most shots with my K-7 and neutral sharpening (neither positive or negative) if I remember correctly.
I process RAW PEF with CaptureOne 5 Pro and most of the time use the default sharpening profile for the K-7.

Another K7 user reporting for duty .................. With a GX10 in reserve (untill I decide to sell it)

Really like mine, still getting used to all the little things than make my shots easier/better.

Another vote for "natural" setting, with basically everything else set at "0", all noise reduction etc turned off, as I deal with that in PP to suit what I want at the time, not what the camera wants to give me.

Would actually prefer the K7 to be slightly larger in all fairness, not got the smallest of hands, probably treat myself to a grip to enlarge it a tad.

All in all big thumbs up from me.............. (y)

Dave ....

Another K7 user reporting for duty .................. With a GX10 in reserve (untill I decide to sell it)

Really like mine, still getting used to all the little things than make my shots easier/better.

Another vote for "natural" setting, with basically everything else set at "0", all noise reduction etc turned off, as I deal with that in PP to suit what I want at the time, not what the camera wants to give me.

Would actually prefer the K7 to be slightly larger in all fairness, not got the smallest of hands, probably treat myself to a grip to enlarge it a tad.

All in all big thumbs up from me.............. (y)

Dave ....

Hi Dave, is K-7 a recent purchase or did you get it soon after the launch? Which lenses do you use?
I would strongly recommend the grip especially for the DA* range of lenses, it makes for a fine package :)

Hi Dave, is K-7 a recent purchase or did you get it soon after the launch? Which lenses do you use?
I would strongly recommend the grip especially for the DA* range of lenses, it makes for a fine package :)

Bought it beginning of november. ( after some serious homework and cosideration,... very nearly jumped ship and went over to nikon, but my lens list really put a stop to that,..... thankfully saw sense and did the right thing.)

Lens wise, Sigma 50mm 1.4 ... Sigma 17-70 ....Sigma 70-300 .... and Sigma 105 macro, .... Tamron adaptall2 90mm macro and a pentax 1.7 50mm, no wonder I have no pocket money left ....

Dave ....

Bought it beginning of november. ( after some serious homework and cosideration,... very nearly jumped ship and went over to nikon, but my lens list really put a stop to that,..... thankfully saw sense and did the right thing.)

Lens wise, Sigma 50mm 1.4 ... Sigma 17-70 ....Sigma 70-300 .... and Sigma 105 macro, .... Tamron adaptall2 90mm macro and a pentax 1.7 50mm, no wonder I have no pocket money left ....

Dave ....

Nice kit you've got there Dave. How are you getting on with the Sigma 105? I've seen some stunning shots with that lens in a Pentax mount.

Nice kit you've got there Dave. How are you getting on with the Sigma 105? I've seen some stunning shots with that lens in a Pentax mount.

Not really had it that long, just before Christmas, so not had much of a chance to use it "in the field" so to speak. Early results are going well, but still holding on to my old Tamron for now as the shots of insects etc are really good considering how old the lens is. I think the Sigma will prove to be the one to keep, but just need long term confirmation that I am making the correct choice.

Dave ....

Another pentaxian here. New to DSLR and at the time the Km twin lens kit was much more bang for the buck and I had good results from my compact (Optio S) which had great build quality.
Unfortunately with the Km dropped, the entry Kx is a bit expensive against the Nikon and Canon entries.
I have managed to get £500 to buy a "pool" camera for our wee camera club at work, unfortunately nobody has old Km stock so I think it will be a D3000, unless anyone knows differently !

The K-x may be more expensive than the D3000 but have you compared the two cameas in detail?. The Pentax knocks the Nikon out of the park in almost every department (ISO, FPS, built in SR, focus motor in camera etc) and the noise control has been described as possible the best of ANY crop camera out there at the moment (and this includes the D300 & 50D). £500 will get you a K-x, kit lens, camera bag and 4 gig memory card at SRS. I know which I would go for.

The K-x may be more expensive than the D3000 but have you compared the two cameas in detail?. The Pentax knocks the Nikon out of the park in almost every department (ISO, FPS, built in SR, focus motor in camera etc) and the noise control has been described as possible the best of ANY crop camera out there at the moment (and this includes the D300 & 50D). £500 will get you a K-x, kit lens, camera bag and 4 gig memory card at SRS. I know which I would go for.

Thanks for the link, I need to se how the kand lies with "non approved vendors" but this would be ideal, especially when the kit grows over the years and its all compatible with mine ! Will let you know outcome ...

Thanks for the link, I need to see how the land lies with "non approved vendors" but this would be ideal, especially when the kit grows over the years and its all compatible with mine ! Will let you know outcome ...

Kevin, if you're not already a member join 'Pentax User' and you will get free delivery from SRS.
Oh and it goes without saying that SRS are a very trustworthy retailer, almost all my current gear was supplied by them.

Kevin, if you're not already a member join 'Pentax User' and you will get free delivery from SRS.
Oh and it goes without saying that SRS are a very trustworthy retailer, almost all my current gear was supplied by them.

Filled in my purchase reqs today, had also been allocated £500 to get a printer and supplies to show everyones efforts. Therefore total budget £850 plus vat equals just under a grand.
Went for a smaller printer (Epson P50) with a continuous ink supply, this left enough for a Kx twin lens kit, bag and basic tripod, and, crucially elements V8 (£59 in PC World, bargain!)., also a Km training DVD to teach the basics.
Just to get signed off but should not be too much off a problem. Lucky people getting to play with a Kx for free !
Good thing is, if I can attract more people to join the club then I can get more budget, not a shame at all that any future lenses will fit on my camera (y)

Again thanks for the pointers and looking forward to having a play with the Kx, it does look like a step up from my own Km and I think the live view will make it less daunting for those coming from a compact.

Kev

Last edited:
Pentax user, list below;

K10D, Pentax 18-55mm, Samsung 50-200mm, Tamron 70-300mm, Pentax-A 50mm f1.7, Tamron x1.4 Pz-AF MC4 TC, MACRO TELEPLUS MC7 KAX TC

Regards

P.S. on Pentax User & PentaxForums

£475 for a K-x with kit 18-55 at Park Cameras at the moment if you are okay with a coloured one, yet its £500 for the black one.
Oddly enough if you get the black one as body only, it is £485.

Thought it maybe worth mentioning for the peeps looking at the K-x.

Have also noticed a fair bit of price droppage on the K-7 too, spotted it at £780 body only also at Park Cameras.

Anyhow, should best stop looking, before I do something silly!

SRS have the K-7 body only for £775 and kit (18-55mm) for £799. Both come with an extra battery worth £50. I also have a £30 off voucher for use with them from when I bought the DA* 60-250mm. Tempted.

It's all falling into place Mike ;)

I am currently the owner of a K20d and K10d, now I dont know if this is a slight tough of upgradeitus,:eek: but considering part ex on both and upgrading to the K7. Is it worth doing? what are the benefits or advantages.

No ideas on lthe price, anyone?

I am currently the owner of a K20d and K10d, now I dont know if this is a slight tough of upgradeitus,:eek: but considering part ex on both and upgrading to the K7. Is it worth doing? what are the benefits or advantages.

Well firstly the price is now at a point where I believe the K-7 is a bit of a steal.

I really liked my K20D but since I moved to the K-7 I've never looked back.
Handling is different, easy to get used to the new button layout and I prefer it. The K20D was nice too but the K-7 is a step up in build if that were at all possible. In general use it feels much more reactive to user inputs than the K20D, a more snappy positive feel to the operation of the camera.
I use mine gripped most of the time as I tend to have my DA* lenses fitted but also removed when using primes it becomes a very low key unobtrusive package.

Feature wise it's absolutely packed (in no particular order, positives compared to K20D):

*100% view finder
*More comprehensive VF and top screen display
*Electronic horizon and auto correction if desired
*Composition adjustment
*Auto DA and DA* lens correction in Jpeg (I think the latest firmware adds
FA primes too). Also works in RAW if you use the supplied *Pentax RAW converter software.
*Built in HDR function that is very effective
*More comprehensive high light and shadow control
*Live view that is now a serious feature, great for macro work
*High resolution 3” screen
*Mirror lock up with or without remote
*Faster focussing with all lenses although SDM lenses still are a bit pedestrian
*5.2 fps continuous shooting
*AF illumination light
*More accurate metering
*Quieter shutter, with up to 1/8000 sec capability
*Grip can use AA batteries as well the standard battery
*Improved sensor dust removal system (ultrasonic low pass filter shake like Oly)
*HD video if you want it (it's actually pretty good)
*Very similar image quality to the K20D but IMO easier to deal with higher ISO noise in RAW files

A few negative observations:

*The memory card door is a little fiddly
*Shame that the grip can't also hold the remote

Can't really think of anything else :D

Last edited:
Thanks Huw, a very comprehensive answer, I agree with you on the price its very tempting inst it.:D:eek:

I upgraded from the samsung GX10 (K10d??), and at first I must admit I wasnt 100% convinced that I had done the right thing................. now, I wouldnt be without my K7, its taken a bit of time to get into it and to realise what I have to do to get the best (for me) out of it, plenty of small, seemingly insignificant adjustments you can make that just give your images that very tiny edge. Plenty of room to grow into as well. All in all , I am really pleased that I broke open my piggy bank and bought one, only you can decide if thats the route to take, ....:thinking: ....:shrug:.... Go on ... go for it, you know you want to ( Old bit of usefull advise I was given a long , long time ago ................ Your a long time dead ....)

Note ..... have a play with one , it is a small body (smaller than GX10), I have recently fitted a grip to mine and it feels/handles far better, of course this all depends on personal preferences, hand size etc,etc.

Dave .....

Not seen anyone elses prices, but spotted Park Cameras doing drops on the K-x again, but only on the coloured bodies, all at £440 with 18-55.
But if you want the black with kit its £500!

I have four macro lenses but 9/10 times I end up going back to the Tamron 90mm Adaptall 2. Beautiful lens to use with a PK/A mount and a nice focus ring which is important in macro.

Mike, I am now thinking this would make a good next purchase and I really dont have £500 for a pentax macro lens. Is there anything I should be looking for and do I need an adaptor or is that the point of the "adaptall" ?

Another Pentaxian here(y) bought the Kx black with the twin lens kit from park cameras.

Loving it so far(y)

delS1

Wow, I thought this thread was long dead. Always nice to see others and know i'm not alone amongst all the Cannon and Nikon folks. :)

Come on you Pentaxians.:clap::clap:

Mike, I am now thinking this would make a good next purchase and I really dont have £500 for a pentax macro lens. Is there anything I should be looking for and do I need an adaptor or is that the point of the "adaptall" ?
... its okay, i should have googled first, its all on there !

... its okay, i should have googled first, its all on there !

The PKA Adaptall mount has skyrocketed in price. You can sometimes find them sold with a lens, perhaps as part of a camera kit.

You can use the cheaper PK mount and set the aperture on the lens (instead of by the camera's command dial) and meter with the green button. But the PKA mount is nice to have ;)

As I'm among friends, I'll let my sig display...

Thanks for info guys, still having a hunt. Take it I am not the only one on a budget, any macro lens of this il that comes on ebay is a bid frenzy ! Little wonder I suppose with the recent price hikes on new kit.
PS - update on my work camera club ... managed to get teh K-x twin lens kit signed off and got an Epson a4 printer with externa ink reseroir. Waiting for it all to get delivered then hopefully drum up some interest and new members. Again thanks for the info in this thread.

Have now been playing with the "works" Kx for a fortnight, was not expecting much more than my Km but have to admit there is a significant increase in capability ...

More autofocus points and selectable
More functions available on the main screen rather than buried in the menus
Built in HDR function, seems to work quite well
Better noise control at higher ISO

I know there are more but these are the biggies for me so far...

Back