Calling All Pentax & Samsung Users!!!!!!!

Edit My Images
Yes
Inspired by Andy's thread here, I thought I would see just how many Pentaxians we have on this 'ere froum.

I thought it would be good to be able swap knowldge, thoughts, pentax suppliers or just generally have a chin wag about things Pentax.

I currntly have the K20D, previously a K100D and A3000 35mm. I seriously considered moving to Nikon before I purchased the K20 but I just love the brand and quality of Pentax.

Please dont let this be in the only post in here. :p

Last edited:
i'm with you in here!

last august i upgraded from the K100 to the K10 (before that it was a pentax 35mm MZ-50), I am thrilled to bits with the K10, and the few subtle updates (as well as the pixel count) have made this a fantastic body, and I assume the k20 is just the same again.

will you allow samsung users to speak up in here, since we are all one big happy family now?

Count me in - K10D user here (and I have to say I think Canon could learn a trick or two from Pentax - not least the upper and lower limit adjustable auto ISO facility)

Hello Folks!:wave: Hurrah!

Welcome, I hope you are enjoying your K10Ds, it is a nice body. The K20 is really an enhanced and tweaked K10, both are very nice. I never thought about Samsung tbh, I will change the thread title to include them. :)

I'm a Samsung boyo, nearly went for a K10D but the GX10 seemed the smarter choice as it had some cashback on it. My first SLR, happy with it so far although I do get the feeling I've got a lot to learn!

Just bought a 50mm f1.4 lens, seems like a pretty cool little bit of kit :naughty:

I have a samsung gx1l that ive past on to my wife (triple b)

I'm a Samsung boyo, nearly went for a K10D but the GX10 seemed the smarter choice as it had some cashback on it. My first SLR, happy with it so far although I do get the feeling I've got a lot to learn!

I love my pentax, i have always loved pentax, but if i was buying again, i would definatly be considering the samsung. You get more for you money, as well as the cash back deal there were (still are???) running, you get a 2 year warranty, as opposed to pentax's 1 year.

i'm not so fond of the samsung menu, but thats a concession i would be willing to make.

i'm currently eyeing up the GX20....

Yu, another here. I have a K100D Super but about to go buy a D300.

*burn the heretic*

Yep still running the cashback offer, I got £50 back making the camera net price £350. Wasn't aware of the warranty being longer, another bonus I guess!

Is anyone using older K mount lenses on their DSLR? I've been eyeing a few up on the bay, they sometimes go for so little!

Is anyone using older K mount lenses on their DSLR? I've been eyeing a few up on the bay, they sometimes go for so little!

yes, i am.

you can pick up some fantastic lumps of glass for a few quid as long as your happy to go manual.

i found it helps the learning process if you have to set your AV by hand, then hit the green button. it helped me get my head round the relationship between T & A

I'll prolly miss one or two but in bodies I've got three KX's; an ME Super; a P30; the fabled LX; PZ-1p; MZ-5n; *ist D and *ist DS.

In Samsung (in name, at least) I've got the AF540FGZ flash, which from the manual looks as if it's got no plain vanilla TTL mode, but it has if the suitable camera (D series) is in manual mode with the aperture set manually. As well as not suffering the underexposure due to highly reflective elements of a scene, the lack of pre-flash with ordinary TTL much reduces the likelihood of subjects blinking, and is one very good reason to hang onto these "old" digital bodies.

I was Pentax K10D and a bunch of lens but moved to Nikon D300.

I found the K10D very poor in low light (Scotland always in low light) and had lost of issues with back and front focusing.

However it performed well in Egypt and also in Studio but for my needs I had to switch brands.

Good luck.

A fair few of us here then. :)

I looked at the samsung GX-20 but think I would always have wished I'd gone for the Pentax, it's a personal thing I think. Does the GX-20 have the live view?

I have several K mount lenses from my 35mm, They all work fine on my K20, only one I had issues with was an old zoom lens that didn't have the "A" on the aperture ring. There is a setting within the menu to turn of the requirement off to get it to work, the lens become usable but fully manual. :)

i'm with you in here!

last august i upgraded from the K100 to the K10 (before that it was a pentax 35mm MZ-50), I am thrilled to bits with the K10, and the few subtle updates (as well as the pixel count) have made this a fantastic body, and I assume the k20 is just the same again.

will you allow samsung users to speak up in here, since we are all one big happy family now?

I am a GX10 user and I love it. Its easy to follow menu wise and for my first DSLR its suits me perfectly.

I bought my samsung after much deliberation and the advice from Nick (above), his main point being the decider, the compatibilty with the older K mount lenses. Perfect for a noob on a budget!

Now I am trying to bag myself a Pentax A 50mm F1.7 but the buggers go quickly on ebay!

I've been umming and arring about a nifty fifty for ages, I have a Pentax-M F2 and hardly use it, not sure if it's woth shelling out £170 on a Pentax-A F1.4.:thinking:

I have been umming and arring just the same.
I should clarify I am looking at the older K mount with the A setting on the Aperture ring enabling it to work with digital cameras, and a focal length of 75mm.

The Pentax A f1.7 goes for around £50 on ebay, so the way I figure is, Ill try it give it a go and see how I like it. If I dont, then hell, Ill ebay it on again. It beats, like you say, shelling out £170 for the new f1,4.

Well good luck finding one, FFordes have one in at the moment for £99 which looks in good condition. I've never been a fan of ebay, the only thing I have ever bought off there was a repair manual for my old car! :)

I stumped up for the f1.4, you can get them for £150 delivered from ebay. I'm really hapy with mine but I just wish the weather would behave a bit so I can go out & use it properly!

Hi Simon, the Sigma is a lovley piece of kit. I've only had mine a few weeks with not much chance to play, but I love what I have seen so far.

Matt..what is the build quality like on the 1.4? It always looks plasticy in the pictures.

Park Cameras are doing the K20D (body only) bundled with a 4GB SD card for £577.99 which brings it within a gnat's whisker of the Samsung with its £75 rebate.

The Samsung hasn't got a direct ISO access button, the DOF control switches Live View, built-in HDR capability is more limited, but the menus are clearer.

That's a decent price from park cameras, I've bought a few lenses from there, they seem to be a pretty good outfit.

How do the menus differ from the K20D to the Gx-20?

I also have a Pentax K100D, would really like to get a Sigma 10-20 lens to go with the two lenses I currently have.

Very pleased with the Pentax, like the fact that old Pentax lenses are readilly available and comply with the Digital SLR's.

My Father in law has a Samsung GX-1S, he also really rates the Samsung/Pentax. Handy if I need to borrow a lens.

I have a K10D, having previously used an *ist DL. Have now bought a D300 though and I think I'll eventually move over to Nikon. Will keep the K10D as backup but won't be investing any more money in Pentax related toys.

Really like the Pentax but also find the low light performance a bit poor.

Good to see a thread on Pentax!

Chris

I have a K10D, having previously used an *ist DL. Have now bought a D300 though and I think I'll eventually move over to Nikon. Will keep the K10D as backup but won't be investing any more money in Pentax related toys.

Really like the Pentax but also find the low light performance a bit poor.

Good to see a thread on Pentax!

Chris

I own the Samsung GX10 & it makes an excellent landscape DSLR, functionality/customisation is top notch - wouldn't buy a DSLR in future without dual control wheels or top LCD...image detail is also excellent

I agree with you regarding low-light performance though, it lags behind the marker leaders (Canon/Nikon)

simon

I've been using a K10D for around 18 months now and absolutely love it. Had - well still got - P30 35mm so got the K10 to use my old lenses with. Find the feel and handling to be first class. I mostly shoot motocross events and the weather sealing clearly comes in very usefull for that. Most motorsport togs seem to use mainly Canon but I have had some stunning results and my customers never complain. Agree that low light AF can be a bit dodgy but i can live with that. Also concur with Simon, having two control dials is excellent and very instinctive when changing setting at speed while still looking through the veiwfinder. Definitely would upgrade to another Pentax but not the K20, maybe wait for the next generation in a couple of years as the K10 delivers what I currently demand of it.

Nice thread by the way.

GX10 for me, cashback deal at the time made it quite a bit cheaper than the Pentax. Still got the kit lenses a year later, just looking to get the 55-300 to give myself a bit more reach, other than that been very happy with it!

Bloody good to see this thread.
Seriously, I love you guys :love:

:LOL:

I VERY nearly bought the Samsung, as like the Pentax and Sony, has stacks of features, in body IS, and isn't a Canon or Nikon!!!!!
I wouldn't think twice about buying a Panny or a Sammy, or any other make for that matter.

But I do think it's important that we keep promoting the fact that non Canon and Nikon camera's can be just as good.

Posts like this seriously wind me up :razz:

Hi Andy

Glad you could stop by. I hope you didn't mind me borowing your thread idea. It's always nice to talk to people with same gear as you to pick up ideas etc. :)

I know what you mean though, sometimes i feel like i'm drownin in cannon and Nikon peeps though i cannot deny they are cracking pieces of kit. It's nice to be different though. :p

K100D owner here as well ,i did toy with the upgrade idea ,bought quality glass instead so am going to stick with Pentax . Major plus ,the old Pentax manual lens works a treat and don't cost an arm and a leg.It's about time Pentax received a mention on this forum,for some reason it's not very popular on here,i for one,i think their a good product ,IMO :)

Comments about low-light performance: is this focussing speed, noise or both?

I didn't get a K10D as the max ISO is 1600 and I'm often using 3200 with ambient light.

Pentax has always been conservative with its in-camera processing, and doesn't apply aggressive noise reduction. I remember the criticisms of the *ist D because its snaps weren't punchy enough, until peeps cottoned on and realised they needed to shoot RAW and PP to their own requirements.

In terms of low light focus, I read a fisherman's tale (oh no, not another!) on DPreview about regular experience with a Canon and a Pentax at nightfall. The Canon was faster focussing but far less accurate overall. I can't comment as I've not compared but I've been in dark enough conditions enough times to know that manual focussing becomes very difficult and the AF spotbeam on the flash is mighty useful (if only it would work in the flash's A mode, too).

The successor to the K20D will probably be the next body I go for. Hopefully the AF, P-TTL flash and Live View will all be better.

K10d here too !

When I bought it I was a complete novice (didn't know anything about aperture etc).

The only reason I went for it was the in-body stabilization meaning that I wouldn't have to fork out for it (Stabilization) in any future lenses.

I still consider myself a begginer so I havent much knowledge or any experience of any Canon or Nikon bodies but, I don't regret my purchase one bit.......I love it !

I purchased an old K-mount A 50mm f1.4 from ebay and the quality is amazing ! Although at first I did find the manual focus diifficult to get on with as you have to be very presice.

Doozie

Last edited:
K10D here as well.
My first DSLR, looked at Canon, Nikon and Sony before deciding on the K10D.
They just couldn't give me the same value for money as Pentax and although there are a couple of things that I would change (and I'm sure Canon & Nikon users would with their chosen model as well) the quality of trhe pictures themselves is absolutely ourtstanding.

I must admit there are a couple of lenses that I would love to buy in the Pentax mount (Sigma 150mm macro and 150-500mm) and not being able to get them really winds me up at times but all in all I am more than happy with my chosen model.

I also have a Pentax "A" 1.7mm 50mm that I could put on the for sale section, I never bothered before as I didn't think there were any Pentax users here :)

I never bothered before as I didn't think there were any Pentax users here :)

That was one of the reasons for starting this thread, I knew we had Pentax users here, just wasn't sure how many.

It's nice to see we do have quite a few. :) I guess if you put that 50mm Af for sale you might just get a buyer. :p

I hope it is, anything that strengthens Pentax market presence can only be a good thing really. Being a K20d owner myself but not having read the article i'll be interested to see the tweaks they have made, and if it stands up well against it's competitors.

Hi all,

I have not had any hits with this thread (http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=84858) on the wanted forums so thought I'd try here too.

I am after a I'm after a SMC Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7 Fast Prime (KA Mount) Manual Focus Automatic Aperture Lens. Anyone got one they are considering selling?

I believe Mike.P has a nifty fifty he is considering selling, maybe worth a PM?:thinking:

Back