Calling all Sony Alpha users! (Part 5)

Thinking of upgrading my a350, but to what? I want to stay Sony as I have too much Sony dedicated kit.

Any suggestions and why?

Cheers

Chris

iv just upgraded from the A350 to the A550 and its a great camera.
not that theres anything wrong with the A350,but i needed more FPS for wildlife and i just found a great deal that i couldnt say no to.
the only thing i dont like on the A550 is the on/off switch but ill get use to it.
id recommend the A550 to anyone.(y)(y)(y)

http://www.parkcameras.com/13028/Sony-Alpha-a550---18-55mm.html
i got an 8GB memory card and a Lowepro slingshot backpack out of them ;)

Last edited:
Thinking of upgrading my a350, but to what? I want to stay Sony as I have too much Sony dedicated kit.

Any suggestions and why?

Cheers

Chris

I use an A350 alongside my A900 and for low ISO work, the CCD from the A350 is superb. Much nicer than "mushy" CMOS IMHO if you can keep below ISO200.

The A350 is significantly better than the A700 for example for landscape work - sharper, and more detailed. I'd assume that would go for A450 / A500 as well given its all using the same sensor.

If you shoot ISO100 or 200 there is no upgrade from Sony that improves IQ on that.

The A350 is significantly better than the A700 for example for landscape work - sharper, and more detailed. I'd assume that would go for A450 / A500 as well given its all using the same sensor.

The A290/A350/A380/A390 CCD is superior for low ISO but the A700 sensor is not used in the A450 (14MP) or A500 (12MP). These cameras use sensors with a newer CMOS process that improves high ISO results at the expense of colour depth (see dxomark).

The A350 is significantly better than the A700 for example for landscape work - sharper, and more detailed.

Didnt know that, might have to keep my Sigma 10-20mm on my A350 from now on and keep the A700 for my Sigma 24-70mm and other lenses (y)

I use an A350 alongside my A900 and for low ISO work, the CCD from the A350 is superb. Much nicer than "mushy" CMOS IMHO if you can keep below ISO200.

If you shoot ISO100 or 200 there is no upgrade from Sony that improves IQ on that.

I guess the same applies to portrait and stuff :naughty:

I only wish sony had iso50 like canon does.

i would say either a new A500/550 or a second hand,low shutter count A700 if you can find one.although i've no experience of the 500/550,they seem to be a popular upgrade from the likes of the A2XX/A3XX.i upgraded from the A350 to an A700,and there's a big difference in performance...really pleased i did it.

What would you say are the biggest advantages of the 700 0ver the 350 and are there any disadvantages?

Cheers

Chris

What would you say are the biggest advantages of the 700 0ver the 350 and are there any disadvantages?

Image quality over ISO200, AF speed and accuracy, especially with f/2.8 and faster lenses, second scroll wheel, 5fps, much bigger frame buffer, better rear LCD screen, depth of field preview, mirror lockup ...

The A350 has a CCD sensor so images are sharper straight out of the camera at ISO 100 and it has live view, which the A700 doesn't.

i am torn between the A55 and A580, help :shrug:

What do you feel your A450 is lacking? Image quality wise neither camera will be a a big change. You'll get a smaller viewfinder image with the A580 and a grainy EVF image with the A55.

wierd, had to save as due to it 404ing otherwise :(

anyway, whats the best bet for a none pro, the a55 or a580 ?

i miss live view with the 450 i have.

wierd, had to save as due to it 404ing otherwise :(

anyway, whats the best bet for a none pro, the a55 or a580 ?

i miss live view with the 450 i have.

From a LV perspective the A55 has a better screen. You really need to try one in your hand to see if you can get on with the EVF.

Had a play with the A55 in Jessops the other day in between getting asked three bloody times if I needed help..

I quite liked the EVF, the horizon thing you see is quite cool. The sweep panoramic thing is good too, as is the ability to shoot movies which I would quite like in a camera. I'd go for the A55 if you like the EVF and the A580 if you don't.

Can someone help please?

I want a 70-300 for my A300.

Looking at Tamron Di Ld or Sigma APO.

A few Sigma DGs seem to come up on Ebay. I am wary as I've seen many comments referring to Sonys stripping the gears on the DGs.

Is this right or are ther some Dgs which are OK. If so, how can I tell?

Thanks

I have misplaced my Sigma EF-530 DG Super Flash instruction manual. I have emailed Sigma for help, as they seem to have manuals for download for every variant of the flash EXCEPT the Sony compatible version that I have.

Has anyone got any idea where I can get one as Sigma haven't even responded to my email

Cheers

Chris

Got a good second hand 700 eventually with a shutter count below 2000. The camera is in mint conditionand came with a couple of lenses and other kit.
Used it Saturday night and all seems ok...........seemsthat I made the right choice

Chris

I have misplaced my Sigma EF-530 DG Super Flash instruction manual. I have emailed Sigma for help, as they seem to have manuals for download for every variant of the flash EXCEPT the Sony compatible version that I have.

Has anyone got any idea where I can get one as Sigma haven't even responded to my email

Cheers

Chris

Is there a difference between the sony one and any other one apart from the shape of the foot?

Apparentyl....yes

It seems that there are variations between all the variants of that flash depending on which make of camera they are intended to work with.

This is because Tamron / Sigma basically steals chip-ID's from Minolta lenses, so LR is fooled.

Have a look at AlphaLensInfo:

http://www.equational.org/importphotos/alphalensinfo.html

This will tag the lenses correctly - my Tamron 24-135 is reported as something like a 35-105 for the same reason.

Sorry Andy, meant to reply to this the other day after I'd looked at the link and completely forgot. It looks a bit complicated for a computer simpleton like me, I think I'll just live with it for now, it's not like I've got a massive selection of lenses I could mix it up with anyway.

Thanks though.

Sorry Andy, meant to reply to this the other day after I'd looked at the link and completely forgot. It looks a bit complicated for a computer simpleton like me, I think I'll just live with it for now, it's not like I've got a massive selection of lenses I could mix it up with anyway.

Thanks though.

Hi

I have'nt tried this but cut and paste the following into a text file

<x:xmpmeta xmlns:x='adobe:ns:meta/' x:xmptk='AlphaLensInfo'>
<rdf:RDF xmlns:rdf='http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#'>
<rdf:Description rdf:about='' xmlns:aux='http://ns.adobe.com/exif/1.0/aux/'>
<aux:Lens>Tamron SP 28-75mm F2.8 Di</aux:Lens>
</rdf:Description>

</rdf:RDF>
</x:xmpmeta>

...and save it as myrawfilename.xml where "myrawfilename" is the name of the file you want to see working ie DSC00005 so you'd save the above as DSC00005.xmp

Then in Lightroom go to "Read Metadata". You can then copy and re-name the file appropriately. I reckon that'll sort it!

my new A55 is sat on charge, went for a look and walked out jessops with one :D

Cool. Looking forward to seeing the pics. I daren't go into Jessops for the same reason :)

my new A55 is sat on charge, went for a look and walked out jessops with one :D

i've been seriously considering getting rid of my a390 and going over to a 50d or something similar, but after reading the glowing review in 'practical photography' i'll admit to being intrigued by the a55. post a review when you can dude ;)

well the mini review so far,

1st test was holding it in my hands, I am not small at 6'2" with big hands, so my concern was being able to hold it without getting hand cramps, in reality its not much smaller that the 450 and feels very comfy in the hand. 20 mins later and were talking deals for te 3 year warranty and extra battery (you need an extra battery trust me)

EVF, yes its different from an optical but thats to be expected, a huge bonus is the amount of information you can display on there, the same as the LCD screen on the back of the camera, you can set the lcd or the EVF to different display modes so thats a bonus.

A55 does ISO 100

A450 vs A55 LIVE VIEW!!!
I really missed live view when i brought the 450, i wear glasses and live view is a big help for quick shots, the EVF also sits proud so you don't squish your nose against the screen +1 again over the 450. the screens also better than the 450 IQ wise (and bigger) (and it rotates) (and it folds away)

the electronic balance is very handy as well, only downside is most other on screen info cannot be shown with the balance, no biggy and they may revise that with a firmware update, who knows, so far I am happy with the EVF showing most of the mode details and the LCD having the balance screen.

AUTO+ mode, well i have to say its bloody clever :) does what it says on the tin most of the time and does surprise when it pops up a mode you wouldn't have thought to use and find yourself agreeing with the camera, if it spots a face it kicks into face detection mode and so on, low light it selects the correct mode without faffing about with the dial, turning it more into a point and shoot that takes A-mount lens tbh.

Movie mode is bloody fantastic, The wife said we really need a camcorder with a 1 year old and now i have one that can take a 70-300 sony g lens, a 50mm prime and so on. HA!

I will be buying a boom mic to sit on the hotshoe as its built in mic's are very sensitive, wear woolly gloves to stop the hand noise and hold your breath if you have a cold like me at the mo :D
I have not given the movie mode a good play yet but the IQ is great, shows up in windowz 7 as a blue ray folder so in theory you can burn it to BR disc as each movies stored as the next chapter in 1080 mode.

Panoramic mode works, you need a steady hand so I plan a tripod shot when i get the chance to see how well it can stitch together, so far indoors at night in the front room with the wife running away and it looked rather weird :)

10fps mode does what it says, you need a good lens to AF during and i will be giving that a workout when i get the time/opportunity.

Battery life is easily half or less than the A450, but without live view and a OVF its going to last a long time, hence buying the 2nd battery with it while the VAT back offers on!

Last edited:
Movie mode is bloody fantastic, The wife said we really need a camcorder with a 1 year old and now i have one that can take a 70-200 sony g lens, a 50mm prime and so on. HA!

Don't they overheat and shut down after you've shot for a few minutes? My own personal bias against video in dslr's aside that would seem to be critical unless you are happy just to shoot 3 or 4 minutes..?

it says up to 29 minutes with steady shot off, not that i have ever shot a movie that long :s

i have never owned or needed a camcorder so this fills the gap nice for the 1st steps, 1st bike ride without stabilisers etc :)

Your wife is right Gonzo as those bits of video will be every bit as precious as the photos you take,especially when girlfriends/boyfriends are visiting in the future....you'll regularly hit 10/10 with the embarrassment factor ;)

I prefer video as a seperate entity but the a55/a580 would seem to be the way things are going these days.

Back