Calling all Sony Alpha users! (Part 5)

I take it that you have seen that an RX100 II is expected to be announced at the end of June?

ooooh, bonus arrived on my payslip this morning, that's very tempting. Although I like the Minolta 17-35/3.5 that I have very well and can't really justify both.

"This product is no longer available"
they never stay long - same with the RX100 & RX1.

Anyone know when the A99 price drops are likely to occur and how much they are likely to be?

I have come to the conclusion that the crop bodies aren't a significant upgrade from the A580 I have so it's time to start stealing kidneys :D

Anyone know when the A99 price drops are likely to occur and how much they are likely to be?

I have come to the conclusion that the crop bodies aren't a significant upgrade from the A580 I have so it's time to start stealing kidneys :D

Hi off subject a bit but does that mean the 580 about as far as a crop can go ? Because I'm thinking that too

Hi off subject a bit but does that mean the 580 about as far as a crop can go ? Because I'm thinking that too

It feels like it but I haven't used the new SLTs. A57 has cleaner jpgs but dynamic range is smaller and the light loss may counteract the cleaner jpgs.

The pentax k thingy with the same sensor is the other solution as that has much higher isos available.

The pentax k thingy with the same sensor is the other solution as that has much higher isos available.
due to them having "cooked" RAW ...

I've got both an A580 & an A77. They are really quite different & whether the A77 is much of an upgrade for you comes down to what types of things that you photograph e.g. the A77s vf with peaking enabled I find far better for macro than the A580 & it definitely can produce a more detailed image.
The A580 does high ISO better & I still find an OVF easier to use for things like fast jets but tbh that's about it.

due to them having "cooked" RAW ...

I've got both an A580 & an A77. They are really quite different & whether the A77 is much of an upgrade for you comes down to what types of things that you photograph e.g. the A77s vf with peaking enabled I find far better for macro than the A580 & it definitely can produce a more detailed image.
The A580 does high ISO better & I still find an OVF easier to use for things like fast jets but tbh that's about it.

So with the dynamic range dies that mean the 580 is well placed for landscapes ? As well as low light ,or is it worth going the slt way crop or is it a99

I don't have experience with the dslr sonys, but slts can preview exposure changes well, and peaking is nice too, manual focus is more viable than normal dslr.

I'm into gloomy spaces where an EVF would be an advantage. Unfortunately with an SLT it's a disadvantage due to light loss....

I like shooting lots of things. The A580 does everything to 95%. It's just that last bit of a bit extra in the iso department.

The other alternative is something like the sigma 1.4 range of lenses but I have found that the shallow DOF isn't always wanted so again there is no substitute for better iso range.

The 50mm minolta I have is perfect in low light and I can easily get handheld shots in gloomy conditions but it is a bit long for many indoor spaces. I got a 30mm f2.8 but it was the cheap sony macro one and it is soft and purple fringy at f2.8.

The sony 16-50 f2.8 is another possibility but if it is literally a zoom version of the 30mm prime then it's no good as it isn't anywhere near the quality of the minolta which I think is the best bang for buck lens on the planet. It's so good I've just ordered a second one! f2.8 is just slightly slow. I use the minolta at f2 mainly so f2.8 is just about ok but I'm often at 3200 which is just on the edge of ok. 6400 is ok at a push but the dynamic range is compromised so you have to HDR most shots at those higher isos.

I like the image quality of the A99 but I don't like the bulk or the lack of pop up flash. Now and then it is just handy to have some kind of flash available. Video capability is a bonus.

The 30mm I have is roughly the same field of view on a crop as the 50mm on a full frame which is why I went for it. I did want the sigma 1.4 but the extra cost and the close focussing of the sony won me over. Is there a better version of it at the same 30mm and with macro? That's another possibility. Ideally one that isn't crop only.

I'm into gloomy spaces where an EVF would be an advantage. Unfortunately with an SLT it's a disadvantage due to light loss....
it's 1/2 a stop or less using the same sensor.

the quality of the minolta which I think is the best bang for buck lens on the planet. It's so good I've just ordered a second one!
which Minolta 50mm? On APS-C I would put the Sony 50/1.8 slightly ahead of the Minolta 50/1.7.
f2.8 is just slightly slow. I use the minolta at f2 mainly so f2.8 is just about ok but I'm often at 3200 which is just on the edge of ok. 6400 is ok at a push but the dynamic range is compromised so you have to HDR most shots at those higher isos.
can you use mfnr for your shots or is movement involved?

I like the image quality of the A99 but I don't like the bulk or the lack of pop up flash. Now and then it is just handy to have some kind of flash available.
it does have a hotshoe ... ;).

The 30mm I have is roughly the same field of view on a crop as the 50mm on a full frame which is why I went for it. I did want the sigma 1.4 but the extra cost and the close focussing of the sony won me over. Is there a better version of it at the same 30mm and with macro? That's another possibility. Ideally one that isn't crop only.
tbh I don't know why they made a macro like that - it's working distance at 1:1 is something like 1 inch!

I have tried the multi shot noise reduction but it uses a silly number of shots plus it means you can't use HDR.

Minolta is the 50mm 1.7. I prefer the build quality of the old minolta stuff too.

Looking at the siggy 35mm 1.4 that's just come out.

Last edited:
no. of interesting lenses at the outlet marked as clearance:
55-300 DT
50/1.4
16/2.8 fisheye
1.4x TC

the 16-50 I have is really good, only downsides are distortion and weight.

what are you shooting in the dark anyways?

looks like I missed another refurb A99 today .... :bang:
However, according to SAR A99 sales have actually exceeded Sony's sales target & there should be price cuts coming :)
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr4-...surpassed-new-price-drops-coming-this-summer/

All set to wait for an A99 to pop into the refurb store and now this appears on sony alpha rumours:

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr3-specs-of-the-new-a79-prototype-camera/

A new FF is also expected in early 2014 too. Arrrgghhhh.

Has anyone done any high iso shots with the A99 in crop mode to counteract the effect of the extra resolution? I think this would be quite interesting.

You should have bought my A99? :)

I did some high ISO shots but don't think crop mode would make any difference to these full frame results??

The A99 performs really well when the going gets tough, and the full frame sensor with all that extra light gathering certainly helps!

It day and night compared to the A77 which for me seemed to max out at 1600 ISO?

Here a couple !

6400 ISO

9346014002_7a46098fc3_b.jpg

5000 ISO

9181471585_c243d91948_b.jpg

There's absolutely no difference in high ISO noise performance between FF and crop mode. It's brilliant in either mode.

Don't get too hung up on DxO scores. Sony's are more cautious about highlight clipping than Canikon, so they'll always score lower in DxO's test. In practice there's lots of headroom at the highlight end, so its easier and safer to ETTR a little. The live histo helps in this respect.

You should have bought my A99? :)

I did some high ISO shots but don't think crop mode would make any difference to these full frame results??

The A99 performs really well when the going gets tough, and the full frame sensor with all that extra light gathering certainly helps!

It day and night compared to the A77 which for me seemed to max out at 1600 ISO?

Here a couple !

6400 ISO

5000 ISO

I nearly did buy it!

Might have to flip a coin . . .

I own a a580 and a77 and the a77 is always my first choice of the two. The EVF is fantastic and I really miss it whenever I decide to dabble with using the a580.

I own a a580 and a77 and the a77 is always my first choice of the two. The EVF is fantastic and I really miss it whenever I decide to dabble with using the a580.

Evfs are good. So useful.

A79 model looks interesting so I'm going to wait and see.

Weight of a99 puts me off too. Would need to get a camera shelf to rest it on or I'd end up with orangutan arms . .

the 16-50 I have is really good, only downsides are distortion and weight.

what are you shooting in the dark anyways?

Mainly NT properties inside the houses. They're like caves....Even f2.8 isn't fast enough always. No flash allowed usually so high iso and fast lenses are the only solution.

I was just wondering between these two for motorsport/wildlife/go anywhere type of activity.

I know they are massively different in price but the tamron would be an exact replacement for my now dodgy sigma 28-300. I love it because it is a go anywhere and do nearly anything (as long as it isn't too dark...) kind of lens. The zoom sticks and being a sigma there are compatibility issues with the newer SLTs.

But IQ wise I wonder about the 70-300... I've seen s/h ones for about £500. I also think the odd one has appeared in the refurb store for under £500.

Both are fine with FF or crop (essential)

Also looked at sigma 50-500 but it is heavy, possibly too heavy for a walkabout . . .

the 70-300 is one hell of a lens, I managed to bag one new from jessops a couple of years ago on offer.

Back