Calling all Sony Alpha users! (Part 5)

Name
Andy Drake
Edit My Images
Yes
http://www.sigma-photo.co.jp/english/news/info_100910.htm

Sigma's lenses for Sony mount may have a potential aperture operation problem when used with the Sony α33 and α55 Interchangeable Lens digital cameras.

To overcome this issue, we will be offering, free of charge, a modification service to our customers who have purchased a Sony α33 and α55 and own Sigma lenses for Sony mount.
This phenomenon will only occur with Sony α33 and α55 cameras. Future production of Sigma lenses will be fully compatible with these cameras.

We deeply apologize for any inconvenience caused to our customers.

[Phenomenon]

When shooting with a Sony α33 and α55 cameras, the aperture may not work properly and a “camera error” message will be displayed on the camera.

Sigma's lenses for Sony mount may have a potential aperture operation problem when used with the Sony α33 and α55 Interchangeable Lens digital cameras.

To overcome this issue, we will be offering, free of charge, a modification service to our customers who have purchased a Sony α33 and α55 and own Sigma lenses for Sony mount.
This phenomenon will only occur with Sony α33 and α55 cameras. Future production of Sigma lenses will be fully compatible with these cameras.

We deeply apologize for any inconvenience caused to our customers.

[Phenomenon]
When shooting with a Sony α33 and α55 cameras, the aperture may not work properly and a “camera error” message will be displayed on the camera.[/i]

Thats a real shame - was seriously considering ordering an A55...
I probably use my Sigma 70-300 lens the most.
And cant afford any better ones.

Thanks for the info.

Thats a real shame - was seriously considering ordering an A55...
I probably use my Sigma 70-300 lens the most.
And cant afford any better ones.

Thanks for the info.

but they'll re-chip it for free...

hiya all sony users, im thinkin of gettin the new sony alpha a55, what do yous think, the reason im thinkin this is because my film camera is a minolta x700, and sony says the lens will fit all the sony alpha A...
i have a nikon d40, but i have more lens for the minolta camera so to me it makes sence to buy the sony alpha a55, and keep the nikon as a back up camera....
thanks

i have read reviews about the new alpha a55 and it sounds great looks great, but is it great?
but im kinds lost on the new, is it called D-TLR instead of D-SLR...im really tempted to get it, i rang about today, sony shop, jessops etc and no-one is sure when it comes out. sept or early oct im told, shall i hold off and get the a55 or the mid-range a550..

Last edited:
was wondering who had bought that minolta 400mm on dyxum!

it looks lovely :love: shame i never use anything beyond 200mm, the one saving grace of doing portraiture, the biggest lens il ever need is the 70-200mm f2.8.

so the tammy for sale yet andy? recoup some of those pennies... :LOL:

was wondering who had bought that minolta 400mm on dyxum!

it looks lovely :love: shame i never use anything beyond 200mm, the one saving grace of doing portraiture, the biggest lens il ever need is the 70-200mm f2.8.

so the tammy for sale yet andy? recoup some of those pennies... :LOL:

It really is immaculate. Not sure I didn't pay too much (especially as I let a Nikon 300mm f/2.8 AF-S for only a little more a month ago) but as I shoot Sony almost 100% it made sense.

Its very light (for a 400mm lens) - ironically I nearly bought another about a year ago that was in Cambridge but I got cold feet on it, and always regretted not going for it.

Sorry, Tamron is going nowhere, as the light was so crappy at Duxford last week I did a few "people" candids (I hate doing people stuff personally mind you) and it just blows me away how good it is wide open.

Thanks Timmy.
How would that work?
Post the lens to Sony? or Sigma?

Sigma UK will re-chip.

But you need to give them time to get the modifications in per lens - in my experience with Sigma Nikon fit lenses that needed a re-chip, this can be a couple of months after the announcement.

For those interested i see on the sony site that the a560 and a580 are £560 and £649 respectively body only....if you haven't already seen.

I've just gone full frame :D, which means the 16-80 will need to be replaced with something in the 24-70ish range. I rarely found 16mm on crop was not wide enough, so 24mm or 28mm on FF should be fine.

Not this month though, spent way too much already :naughty:. Might hang on until next year and see what deals are to be had at Focus.

Woohoo! I just bought another A900 body today funnily enough!

(Did you get it new with the Currys deal?)

I will probably sell my oldest body at some point.. so its back to 2 again.

I don't need three.. but A900's are getting scarce and I get another years warranty so it made sense. Although my "old faithful" A900 is going strong 18 months now... so always worried I get another one that doesn't have spot-on focus or is a bit "off" in someway.

I really like A900s :)

are sony looking to replace the a900 at some point or just these new type cameras their releasing?

I will probably sell my oldest body at some point.. so its back to 2 again.

I don't need three.. but A900's are getting scarce and I get another years warranty so it made sense. Although my "old faithful" A900 is going strong 18 months now... so always worried I get another one that doesn't have spot-on focus or is a bit "off" in someway.

makes sense ! :)

I agree that sony might pull a crappy move with the next model.

(Did you get it new with the Currys deal?)

Nope, second hand on ebay. Gave it a quick test at lunchtime, all the basic stuff works as it should and it looks unmarked. The shutter action sounds really solid compared to the crop sensor bodies.

Just got to get out and take some photos with it, it's still only a couple of weeks since I moved so I'm still in a state of chaos with a load of stuff in storage, which I'm fetching a load at a time in the evenings leaving me no time for anything else. Don't even want to think about the urgent DIY jobs that need to be done before the winter sets in! I did unpack the box with the lenses in last night so at least I have those available.

What was the damage used if you don't mind me asking (feel free to PM me, or tell me to sod off if I'm being nosy!)

Just wondering what I can expect to get for a used A900..my oldest one isn't that mint anymore.

Same here, for me it's the perfect camera and I don't see how it could be improved really. :)

Last week I went out with my Dynax 7 film camera and the CZ 24-70 and that reminded me how good the Dynax is, just about perfect. :)

Same here, for me it's the perfect camera and I don't see how it could be improved really. :)

There is not a long wrong with it :D

I reckon it should have the "L" focus screen in by default, and it would be nice to have better support for manual lenses - to be able to enter focal length and aperture for manual lenses.. also AF confirm without a chip would be nice.

The only thing my D700 (soon to be sold) does better is manual focus lens handling.

what difference does the L screen make over the standard one?

oh and has anyone tried one of the magnifying eyepieces for a camera too?

I've been thinking of following your lead and try one of these, where did you get it from? Sony Style have them for £35ish. :)

Thats about right.. I paid about £37 for mine IIRC

what difference does the L screen make over the standard one?

oh and has anyone tried one of the magnifying eyepieces for a camera too?

It gives you gridlines, and nice "rule of third" points. It really should be the stock screen.

Dead easy to replace.. I can go from the "M" fmanual focus screen to "L" in under 45 seconds now :)

got a problem with 50mm f1.7 :(

was about to take it out today.
switched the camera on. and a shock - af seems to not be working

put it on other camera , nothing. then I put it on cameras that use different batteries (all film cameras so cr2, 4x AA, etc)

then it worked, but still - I suspect it should've been faster. what might be the problem ?
could the high humidity be the issue here ? should I just let it dry ?

I'm confussed and P*ssed :(

Is there a way of making the AF light come on for confirmation when you're using manual focus on an A700?

I've had AF failures caused by the lens not being in perfect electrical contact with the body. Taking it off and re-seating has fixed it the couple of times it has happened. You might want to have a look at the contact on the lens to make sure they are clean.

Is there a way of making the AF light come on for confirmation when you're using manual focus on an A700?

I have film cameras. no AF light for 50mm although only 700si seems to be flashing the af lights some times.

I've had AF failures caused by the lens not being in perfect electrical contact with the body. Taking it off and re-seating has fixed it the couple of times it has happened. You might want to have a look at the contact on the lens to make sure they are clean.

externally the lens is super clean. probably some inside contacts ?

could it be that the chip is the problem ?

I could use the one from tokina but I'm not sure if it will fit + don't have a good small screw driver.

externally the lens is super clean. probably some inside contacts ?

I meant the five contacts on the lens mount (five as it is an older Minolta lens, rather than the eight on newer lenses with ADI support).

yeah that one - I probably need to change it or - try to get my money back. the problem is - I've left feadback and it was - no returns accepted. but this is a different case I think.

yeah that one - I probably need to change it or - try to get my money back. the problem is - I've left feadback and it was - no returns accepted. but this is a different case I think.

Have you contacted the seller?

Have you contacted the seller?

I have. 2 mails, at the moment just talking about it. the last email I sent I was trying to explain that it's not because of posting that it was a before fault as he doesn't seem to understand a lot about equipment. Don't know what tomorrow will bring. I wish there was no fault as it's absolutely pristine and he had included 2 filters that weren't even in description.

Well if you are sure it's faulty you do get Ebay buyer protection (Ebay would force a return) but that really should be a last resort.

I'm 100% confident that the chip is pants. I'll try to have a deal with him as I would like to keep the camera and all that came with it and return only the lens.

returning seems to be the only option as I'm not that confident that I would be able to fix it, as much as I would love to do so.

Back