Canon 1D X Mk II Owners Thread

don't take this as the expert answer.. but isn't this the same for any camera.. Look at the file size between the iso 640 and the iso 51200 for the first clue.. frame rate always slows down on all the cameras i have when higher iso ..so my answer without being technical is........what your seeing is normal :)

It's the best answer I have yet so I'll go with it.
That said, those responding on other forums cannot replicate the issue.

It's the best answer I have yet so I'll go with it.
That said, those responding on other forums cannot replicate the issue.

I dont use raw myself but 100% slows down on high iso.. raw and jpg will have diff processing times but all things being relative.. if jpg slows then so will raw... 100% happens to me ...

I dont use raw myself but 100% slows down on high iso.. raw and jpg will have diff processing times but all things being relative.. if jpg slows then so will raw... 100% happens to me ...

Well you were absolutely right about the file sizes getting bigger.
Still a touch disappointing Canon' flagship camera is crippled by high iso file sizes.

I guess it's the sensor read off time that is affected.

As Kipax has written, it's normal.....see pages 148 and 149 of your user guide.

Bob

Help please. I rarely use my 580EXII flashgun and have never used it on the 1DX2 as I use this mainly for birds and sport. My new 5D4 doesn't arrive before the event so..... I will be using the 1DX2 to take some photos at an informal wedding reception. Could you advise please on the best settings - I will have a diffuser on the flash head - for fill in before night falls and after dark, indoors in a small village hall.

Thanks.

The battery in my mkii was showing that it needs to be calibrated, so as per instructions, run it down, pop it in the charger, press the button, 18 hours later jods a good un me thinks, place back in the camera and it's still showing I need to calibrate... Any ideas.?

The battery in my mkii was showing that it needs to be calibrated, so as per instructions, run it down, pop it in the charger, press the button, 18 hours later jods a good un me thinks, place back in the camera and it's still showing I need to calibrate... Any ideas.?

I don't bother running it down, as soon as it shows "calibrate" I shove it in the charger and let it go through the discharge/charge cycle, usually works fine but sometimes it needs to be done twice, I just use my spare battery until it's sorted.

George.

Help please. I rarely use my 580EXII flashgun and have never used it on the 1DX2 as I use this mainly for birds and sport. My new 5D4 doesn't arrive before the event so..... I will be using the 1DX2 to take some photos at an informal wedding reception. Could you advise please on the best settings - I will have a diffuser on the flash head - for fill in before night falls and after dark, indoors in a small village hall.

Thanks.

Chipper I missed this post, did you get it sorted?

George.

A little technical info so that you know what's happening and what's supposed to happen.

The battery has a status bit which is set by the camera if it detects a performance issue. The charger calibrates the battery and clears the status bit.

Possible causes in your case.....
1,,,The camera erroneously sets the status bit upon installation of the battery.....this would be obvious if the bit is set before you've taken a shot (after installing the calibrated battery...unless cause #3 below).
2...The charger perfoms the calibration but doesn't reset the status bit......removing the calibrated battery and reinserting into the charger to see if the charger shows the need to calibrate.
3...The status bit is stuck on the battery.

Bob

Last edited:
so....I got mine today :) what an incredible machine! Testing today with CF cards and getting about 12FPS, does it require CFast to get 14FPS or are there other factors at play?

........ Testing today with CF cards and getting about 12FPS, does it require CFast to get 14FPS or are there other factors at play?

There are other factors.....iso, shutter speed, aperture, lens......see page 149 for the full list.

Bob

...and now to do all the AF microadjustments for all the lens...is there a shortcut method?

I've been looking at how to push photos from the camera via wifi. We have an event coming up where speed will be key and my daughter has volunteered to work the laptop. Question is how best to get the pictures to her while I'm shooting. There will be wifi at the venue so I'm thinking we setup an ftp server on the laptop and connect to that. Any tips or suggestions?

I've been looking at how to push photos from the camera via wifi. We have an event coming up where speed will be key and my daughter has volunteered to work the laptop. Question is how best to get the pictures to her while I'm shooting. There will be wifi at the venue so I'm thinking we setup an ftp server on the laptop and connect to that. Any tips or suggestions?

Simplest method looks like using the EOS Utility, working surprisingly fast in testing at the moment.

Simplest method looks like using the EOS Utility, working surprisingly fast in testing at the moment.

with what ?

you ahve the wireless transmitter?

Last edited:
Testing with 5DM4 today, looks like the functionality should be the same as 1D with the wireless transmitter. Plan to test that early next week.

Hi guys any help please getting sharp pics from this im using a 1dx 2 and the 400mm 5.6 l

Have you tried autofocus micro adjust?

I’ve been using the Reikan FoCal software to fine tune AFMA and analyze sharpness at different apertures etc. seems to work pretty well.

The first step if you think that your lens/camera isn't spot on with its focus is to check it with a static test with the lens wide open and using a tripod. Check it in one shot AF and AI servo with a single AF point. The 1DX MkIIs AF is accurate enough that it should give you the same results irrespective of which AF mode it is in. Only takes a few minutes and then you'll have a much better idea if it's the camera/lens or simply you.

Once you've tried Gary's suggestions then it's worth looking at shutter speed. The 'rule of thumb' 1/f starts to be challenging when you have a physically long, light lens on a heavy body as the stability isn't where you need it.
I'd be at 1/1000 as a minimum with this combination.

Bob

Anyone using ISO above 3200?
People keep telling me it's clean at that and beyond but I cannot agree.
I had family round the other day and rather than faff about with flash I set the camera to 6400. To me, the results look dire even with all the software corrections in place.
I'll put up a snap later and perhaps people can say if I'm expecting too much.

Anyone using ISO above 3200?
People keep telling me it's clean at that and beyond but I cannot agree.
What might be considered 'clean' for sport is probably very different to the definition for close up portraiture. I'll happily use 52600 for football under lights (a little detail can be sacrificed for NR) but I'd stay at 1600 or below for portraits.

Here is a crop.
While I have got the noise under control the loss of detail is quite pronounced.

Normal???

DK200000002.JPG

Any exif derails? shutter speed etc?

I would be interested to see if a semi-decent prime of similar focal length yields the same results...

The guys at Photozone do not exactly rave about this lens...a real pity because the focal range is very handy but a copy will probably never find it's way into my bag.;)

http://www.photozone.de/canon_eos_ff/420-canon_24105_4_5d?start=1

That's a shame as it is much better than the v1.
I'm guessing I'm the only one with a good copy as it is really very good.

I have the 85 1.2 so I might try some controlled tests although I doubt a lens will be the reason for luminance/chrominance noise.
Do you think the 70-200 2.8 v2 would be a good lens for testing ISO noise?

That's a shame as it is much better than the v1.
I'm guessing I'm the only one with a good copy as it is really very good.

I have the 85 1.2 so I might try some controlled tests although I doubt a lens will be the reason for luminance/chrominance noise.
Do you think the 70-200 2.8 v2 would be a good lens for testing ISO noise?

OK, my bad AGAIN...

Some time back I put my foot in it since I got confused between the 24-105/4 (MkI) and the 24-105/3.5-5.6. Since I consulted my absolute holy grail, Photozone, only to notice now that they clearly did not get round to testing the MkII edition yet.

I just found a MkII review on The-Digital-Picture and I do like what I see...maybe I will look at one after all. The focal range is right up my ally for general purposes and will work gloriously with my 70-200 on a second body.:D

Back