Canon 1DX Mk II announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
pmsl depends who you ask lol..... hes posted a d5 81k iso shot and saying how amazing it is......

Hmm I saw the dp review at iso 12800 and they were not impressed, neither was I.

Update from proav.co.uk where I ordered mine was delivery for last week of April.
They are giving the usual 64gb Cfast card and reader.
However, an extra bonus is a 2nd 64gb Cfast card, both Sandisk.
I have also ordered the 100-400 mkii and 2x ext mkiii and got a small £52+vat discount

Simon, I'm sure you realise this, but the x2 mk3 extender won't af on the 1Dx with the 100-400....????....but it works excellently on the other mk2 super telephotos.

George.

Thanks George, yes I understood this, I have the mk2 x2 ext and have always been happy with its limitation in this regard.
The reason I don't have the 1.4x ext is for the little it gives I use my feet.
However, for those on the touch line I fully understand the real need for the extra if only small reach plus the AF.
I have a really old Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 and the AF works fine when using the x2 ext.
I have the 1D MK IV and so am really looking forward to the FF but not the lack of reach with the 1.3 crop thus the reason for updating the x2 ext.
Clearly I won't get back the same reach as with the MK IV and of course I know the old version 2 of the x2 ext would still work.
I just decided I couldn't afford the 11-24mm f/4.0 at the same time and so decided to treat myself to the mkiii ext as a small token to make up for it.
It was a toss up between the 100-400 mkii and the 11-24mm and felt the 100-400 would be more useful as I have a 24mm TSE mkii and yes not 11mm
but going from the 1.3 crop with the 24mm to full frame will be a novelty.
The last time I had FF was back when I had film!!!
Blimey over 12 years ago....

Last edited:
I found going from the 1.3 crop to FF I didn't really notice much difference. The 1DX crops so well that I never felt I was losing out.

Well it'll be interesting to hear how you get on, Simon, hands on reviews are the best, I think!! Looks like you could be one of the first to get one!!

Blimey their estimate has changed for delivery, now 2-4 weeks.
I spoke to Jordan there today and they are one of the first in the UK to get supplied.
http://www.proav.co.uk/canon-eos-1d...PlEOfTSi7KH0jNmYeiFUKtstpH4j5KGg00aAoO68P8HAQ
In case you're tempted, especially with the 2nd 64gb cfast card thrown in.
I shall have to get more wise on how to upload images here and will do my best to give an honest review.
Any requests as to what or how anyone would like me to do some test photos?

Oh a few pages back I asked if anyone knew where the cable remote plugged in?
Until I downloaded the PDF manual none of the photos showed it just mentioned it.
Well for those like me in the dark it can be found next to the vertical grips on off switch under a weather sealed rubber flap.

So here's a thing, having the 1D MK IV I have LP-E4 batteries of which I have the original Canon ( 7 years old now) at 2300mAh @ 11.1v and 26Wh
The slightly revamped LP-E4N has 2450mAh
The new 1DX MKii has a new LP-E19 at 2750mAh etc so larger capacity but not size.
The older and newer batteries work in each camera as long as you use the correct charger.
Hmm... well here's the thing, I just realised that for some time now well over two years I have been using along with the original battery 3rd party batteries.
These are get this 4400mAh
I tested them way back when I first got them via an electrical mate and they are indeed 4400mAh @ 11.1v but 48.8Wh
And the main thing is these charge fully with out issue via my original 1D MKIV dual charger.
Hmm I wonder if the new LP-E19 will charge in the old charger and vice versa???
And of course if my 4400mAh batteries outlast the new LP-E19, they certainly do outlast my original.

Blimey they're still available,
http://www.amazon.co.uk/DSTE-3-Pack...59458957&sr=8-15&keywords=canon+lp+e4+battery

Last edited:
Looking at the wifi unit Canon WFT-E8A.
Has anyone used the older unit with their 1dx?
Or the Camranger? £269 average price.
I have seen the Camranger in action with the Nikon d810.
Seemed to work well.

I used to use the ye fi cards tbh I just use a wifi card reader now does a good enough job

Hi Owen was thinking about remotely using the camera not just file transfers.

oh got you I understand cant say I use that feature tbh

I used a WFT-E6 until I threw it in a pond - found it great for transmission - fast, efficient and worked around corners. I didn't use it for control specifically other than testing it to see if it worked, and it did nicely.

So have been looking into this wifi business and am going down this route.
http://dslrcontroller.com/guide-wifi_mr3040.php
Along with the TP Link tl-mr3040 which is £39.99 at Maplins and a bit cheaper on eBay.
From the few hours I have been looking into wifi controlling a DSLR these two bits of kit the router with the firmware update and the software £5.?? on play Store cold with my Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition of which I have used the free version software on my 1d mkiv and worked well but only in jpeg so payment needed for the full suite and raw support.
Far cheaper than the Canons wifi dongle at over £469 and still loads of control inc hdr, focus stacking, remote focus etc and all from a reasonable distance if needed.

Decided to change the x2 ext for the 1.4ext
Reason, I have the x2 ext mkii and have had a re-read of reviews and the difference isn't loads.
And I don't have a 1.4 ext
Plus as we all know the AF goes once over F/8.0
Decent place to do business with proav.co,uk ask for Jordan as he's the sales manager.
He didn't even charge the difference as the 1.4 is a few quid more.

Has anyone who has pre-ordered a mk2 got a definite delivery date yet ? placed my order last week with Harrisons of Sheffield but they was unable to give a date

Lining up a loan body for a few days in May, then I'll make my mind up. Just had my mk1 cleaned and a new focussing screen was fitted,all at Elstree, and my 2 main lenses and extenders cleaned etc.
£250, but worth it for piece of mind, I think.

Looking forward to a trial, will decide between a mk 1 2nd hand (need a 2nd body) and a new mk 2.......

George.

Lining up a loan body for a few days in May, then I'll make my mind up. Just had my mk1 cleaned and a new focussing screen was fitted,all at Elstree, and my 2 main lenses and extenders cleaned etc.
£250, but worth it for piece of mind, I think.

Trying to find a gap to ahve mine cleaned and serviced... CPS clean service offer ..... but need to take them down on a monday mornign in order to get back in time for following weekend .. CPS platinum.. but if i post mon.. they get tue and timer doesnt start until day after.. so wed/thu and maybe post fri.. no delivery sat :(

Tony, I'm platinum as well....got the bits taken in on Monday 12.00 and received back via DHL at 1400 today.....

Tony, I'm platinum as well....got the bits taken in on Monday 12.00 and received back via DHL at 1400 today.....

thats good.. I need to speak to someone first and get it organised.. BIG trouble if not back in time for weekend..thats just about any weekend... I ahve a windofw irst week in may which is coming up fast.. Its only a couple of hundred mile drive haha.. want them to assure me if i drop off mon get back by friday... two 1dx and a 400m

I've generally found them very helpful and if you tell them the situation, they'll help I'd think......couldnt you just do 1 body at a time?

I've generally found them very helpful and if you tell them the situation, they'll help I'd think......couldnt you just do 1 body at a time?

if i am gonna do it i may as well do both... how did you speak to them?

Well, I know one of the technicians and can get straight through, but I don't think that made any difference.......I can look up the paperwork for the number if you want?

Well, I know one of the technicians and can get straight through, but I don't think that made any difference.......I can look up the paperwork for the number if you want?

its ok mate.. have old paperwork with numbers.. was hoping for an email addy :)

Tony, if I may, I'd suggest a quick call to them first just to put your mind at rest?

+44 (0) 800 915 0009 (option 2 for repair and services) is the number to call, Tony.

10% discount on all Canon products at Ask Direct, this weekend only - includes 1DX 2.

Has anyone signed up to the Adobe's creative cloud yet ? apparently if you are going to shoot Raw with the MK2 ( its the same with the Nikon D5 ) Current Lightroom etc will not be able to read the files , It appears that if you want to shoot Raw you need to sign up for £8.57 per month :(

I realise that most people use a form of post editing/processing other than the software that comes with the camera but the x2 will come with Canons own working version of software for the new x2 whatever that software is they supply.

It's called Canon Digital photo professional but that's all I know about it as I've used Lightroom for years

Yes Kev that rings a bell now.
Except for my Canon film camera ea h digital Items have purchased has come with it and I remember when I first had the 10D back in 2005 I used it for a while but soon stopped and used PS, as LR wasn't about then.
Perhaps I will try it again just to see how it compares to LR and PS when my dx2 arrives.

We're on DPP4 now :)

Digital Photo Professional and we are now on version 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back