Canon 1DX Mk II announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good to see that pre orders could be getting theirs in April. I though it was June for release. I think I will wait until they are readily available before I put my hand in my pocket. Looking forward to hearing from some of you guys what its like in the real world rather than from people with a vested interest in saying that they are good.

Speaking to a Canon dealer who told me that he felt that overall it was a worthwhile improvement. If its 1.5 stops better on noise then that will be a good enough reason for me to buy one because that is where I want to see improvement. Not that interested in more MP, 4K etc etc.

Last edited:
Word from the guys who shot with mkIIs at the F1 over the weekend, is that the AF is a noticeable improvement.

People have been raving about pinch to zoom on image playback on the Nikon D5 as well though, whether that's going to make you drop that much cash on a camera is up to you of course :D (probably fun to play with if your agency buys it for you though).

I noticed that Jessops among others are offering 12-24 months interest free credit along with a 'free' cfast card reader and a 64gb cfast card worth '£384'
Yer right even without searching even a little bit hard I can find these for £34 & £199 total £233 so that £151 difference goes towards paying back the interest free period!
Cheers for nothing retailers...

I noticed that Jessops among others are offering 12-24 months interest free credit along with a 'free' cfast card reader and a 64gb cfast card worth '£384'
Yer right even without searching even a little bit hard I can find these for £34 & £199 total £233 so that £151 difference goes towards paying back the interest free period!
Cheers for nothing retailers...

Not sure what giving away a card and card reader has to do with their interest free credit offer. Cash buyers still get the card and reader!

Good point Jim, so the interest free aside.
Saying the reader and card are free and worth £384 when I have found the items for far less.
So free maybe! but not worth the amount when places I have found aren't even saying they are on offer but just available to buy at X? price.
I suppose the reason I included the interest free aspect is due to the way they (about three retailers) advertise the camera with the free reader and card right along side this selling 0% interest point as an extra feature.
Just doing what they can I suppose, ce la vie....

Good point Jim, so the interest free aside.
Saying the reader and card are free and worth £384 when I have found the items for far less.
So free maybe! but not worth the amount when places I have found aren't even saying they are on offer but just available to buy at X? price.
I suppose the reason I included the interest free aspect is due to the way they (about three retailers) advertise the camera with the free reader and card right along side this selling 0% interest point as an extra feature.
Just doing what they can I suppose, ce la vie....

Jessops are selling the card and reader for £384! Just because you an item costs less from one retailer than another doesn't mean it's "not worth the amount".

You're beginning to sound like Jessops bashing

Not really, I am pleased Jessops are still about, Wex and Calumet are also doing the same style advert.
I have noticed over a time that advertising in general (I work in the print industry, adverts etc) very rarely tell the whole truth.
For me given most people are pretty savvy when it comes to being strung along I don't understand why advertisers try and offer something that is so far from what is available elsewhere.
I get the offer may be bettered elsewhere pretty much all the time. It's just (countering your comment) that to say something is worth x when just because that's the retail price doesn't mean it is worth that.
This point can be said about most things, it depends on a persons view and what they feel.
I even found the very Sandisk card and reader for the £151 less as mentioned very easily and not on offer.
Anyway, I'm just commenting, and we all have a differing view of course...

Owen I have ordered from SLR Hut before and had a good transaction.
Am I assuming correctly this is where you are getting your 1dx mkii from and if so you mention you've been told to expect delivery in a few weeks.
Was this via an email or other means?
I ask only as I am also on verge of ordering and wondered if their offer was to attract customers before official release and then put the price up.
That's not to say they will up the price on orders already taken as I have asked that and they say no.
I had that situation with a lens I bought at a price and the next day it went up by £50 so I phoned and they assured the price I had paid would remain as was and it did.
It's just such a massive price difference between the official Uk price of £5.2 (ish) and theirs.
My thoughts were they may up it when they have enough pre orders and so don't won't to edge my bets to far.
Meaning if they had informed you directly of delivery soon (ish) it may be prudent of me to put my order in.
Anyway no worries if I guessed wrong, cheers Simon...

hi Simon I didn't order from slrhut in the end I had jessops credit note so have ordered with them mate.... as re slrhut at nearly £1200 off the rrp it just seems too good to be true to me hence getting the official uk model give them a ring and get it in writing would be my advice

oh and Jessops are giving me several freebies worth I reckon close to £700..... always worth negotiating ;-)

Hmm blimey now that is interesting, what did you manage to get? and what was your bargaining chip to persuade them?

Oh and did you negotiate over the phone or via their online chat box?

Last edited:
face to face ;-) bearing In mind though I have purchased a substantial amount of items from them in the past.... however they have always been keen to help out just see what they can do ;-)

For me, I do see bits in the Canon 1DX mkII that will probably make me buy it...
In my line of work I do need to do quite a bit of video stuff alongside the stills, and so far haven't enjoyed using 1DX for this due to the lack of AF.
So from what I've seen, the additions to the video with AF and AF from touch screen.. they might be the deal breaker for me.
Especially in this day and age when lots of customers do also need video, this will help me reduce my video gear and thus helping me carry a bit less equipment on my travels.

Price is quite hefty - but could I see my 1DX mkI's lasting for another 4 years?? Might be asking a bit much :)

Haa so video will af zoom are you saying?

I would like to get into video but found it a bit restrictive for what i wanted.. and all the clever people said real video dont zoom ..

so might be persuaded especialy if the iso is improved as well

my only drawback is the state of my 1dx.. had a new shutter recently so alls well inside.. but looks scruffy aftre 4 years working... if i can get 2k for it i might upgrade :)

when you say zoom you actually mean like physically zoom????

Just been reading interesting notes on Canon's new (allegedly) sensor design.....looks promising..

New Sensor design is the actual reason behind the increased dynamic range. The new sensor design is implemented on recently announced Canon 80D and Canon 1DX Mark II camera. In general Canon sensors AD/DA unit (analogue to digital converter) was placed away from sensor resulting more noise in image due to longer electrical path. Now the sensors of Canon 1DX Mk II and Canon 80D sensors have on-chip AD/DA converter, by shortening the electrical path the electrical noise generated is minimize resulting better images.

1.5 stop improvement looks worthwhile....

I did George they wouldn't let me put a card in .... infact the version I used had the card slot fitted with a anti tamper device lmao ( guess they didn't trust me) I would say from the limited 30 min play I had that it is going to be the best perfoming canon sensor ever for dr and for iso..... looked cleas as a whistle to me when looked at 12,000 iso so wait and see I guess but initial impressions are very very positive :)

Pity we hadn't met up..........agreed re DR and ISO, just how much I'll wait and see, Frankie said long wait list to borrow however Calumet/Canon will be having road shows....dates to be announced.....but fairly soon I gather.

I saw some raws taken with it and I must say looks good, and the dual pixel af will help af in video (not that I use it but that could change) and Tony may find it kills 2 birds with one stone, as he says!

The shuttle is for sure quieter, and silent mode is pretty good, so that will help for wildlife, the 1 Dx scares the s**t out of otters!!....but will I spend the money?.......hmm, jury's out on that!

Why Canon can't do what Nikon have done with their new releases of FF and crop...ie make button layout the same ...is beyond me!!!..and the same battery can fit both with a grip.

New Sensor design is the actual reason behind the increased dynamic range. ... In general Canon sensors AD/DA unit (analogue to digital converter) was placed away from sensor resulting more noise in image due to longer electrical path. Now the sensors of Canon 1DX Mk II and Canon 80D sensors have on-chip AD/DA converter, by shortening the electrical path the electrical noise generated is minimize resulting better images.
That would certainly have an impact. It's the main reason why Sony sensors have been delivering better dynamic range than Canon in recent years.

.......that it is going to be the best perfoming canon sensor ever for dr and for iso.......
It would be good if they've got the DR back to where it was 8 years ago (before pixelmania struck). As for noise performance at higher Iso levels....it will be best simply because it's the flagship model and has to be the best. I doubt that it would have been released if it failed on that count.

Bob

It would be good if they've got the DR back to where it was 8 years ago (before pixelmania struck). As for noise performance at higher Iso levels....it will be best simply because it's the flagship model and has to be the best. I doubt that it would have been released if it failed on that count.

Bob

Agreed, Bob.....you got yours on order yet?...

Why Canon can't do what Nikon have done with their new releases of FF and crop...ie make button layout the same ...is beyond me!!!
They can and do. The 5D Mk III, 5Ds, and 7D Mk II all have identical control layouts. It's *only* the 1DX that's different.

Meanwhile, over in Nikonland, the D5 and D500 are the same. But the D810 is different, and the D750 is different again, and the Df is different again.

Also, the D5 isn't the same as the D4s, but the 1DX Mk II is the same as the 1DX.

You're just unlucky that you're affected by this. But it's not rational grounds for claiming that one manufacturer is better than another.

...but they haven't done the battery, Stuart, and while I agree on the points you have made, it's the 1 Dx that's different, so you can't mix it with any of the others without it being a pain, and I suspect there's a fair few people using it with the other bodies you mention.

Why for instance have the illumination button at one end of the 4 on the top and at exactly the opposite end on the others?...that's what I'm complaining about!

...but they haven't done the battery, Stuart
Sure. And I can't see why not. I mean, I'm sure the Nikon approach is protected by patents, but unless Nikon's patent lawyers are cleverer than Canon's (or struck lucky this time) you'd think Canon would copy it.
... and while I agree on the points you have made, it's the 1 Dx that's different
So what you're saying is that design issues which affect *you* are important, but design issues which affect *other people* aren't. I'm sorry, but I really don't think that's very fair.

If it's *critical* to you to have a top spec full frame body and a top spec crop sensor body that have the same control layout, buy a D5 and a D500. Simple as that. Meanwhile I'm sure there are people for whom it's *critical* to have a very-high-resolution body and a not-so-high-resolution body that have the same control layout, and those people should buy a 5Ds and a 5D III instead of a D810 and a D750.

Agreed, Bob.....you got yours on order yet?...
No, George, I'm going to sit it out and see if the real world benefits (to me) are worth the outlay. I think a 645Z (similar cost to replacing two 1Dx's) is likely to bring more to the party.

Bob

I have been a Canon user since film and am staying with Canon.
However,I have read the Nikon D5 pdf manual (downloaded) page 99 mentions it has a f/4 limit with focus in some lenses and a max f/5.6 over some (not all) focus points.
Meaning across its focus points it splits the sensor into zones and some zones won't focus from f/5.6 ie towards f/8.0 etc only f/5.6 to f2.8 etc and some only from f/4 etc
It would seem from what I have read if Nikons -4 advantage over Canons -3 is dissapointing for Canon users then take solice in Canons f/8 focus across all points.
For me this is a massive advantage.
I would be gob smacked if the 3 million iso is of any real use but f/8 certainly is.

I watched the presentation by Andy Rouse and was quite impressed with the images he produced. I know he is paid to pour praise on it but the images were great at very high ISOs.

Haa so video will af zoom are you saying?

I do believe so - watched some video from Canon about this, and it looked good.
And as I mentioned - for my clients, to have stills and video is sometimes the reason they hire me for the jobs.
So to be able to have both in one body... would be great.

More good news with Canons 1dx mkii vs Nikons d5
The d5 can only do 200 lossless 12 bit raw which is Nikons version of 14 bit raw compressed.
To match Canons full 14 bit uncompressed raw its d5 slows to near the same as Canons standard cf cards at 79 frames against Canons 170 +
It would seem dual 6+ possessors are quicker than single 5's...

As mentioned in an earlier post regards Nikons 3 million iso being of no use.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/ima....0030276816608996904&y=-0.0014892443463871783
This shows iso 12800 having the same noise as the d4 and nowhere clean enough in my opinion for any type of use.
Personally I think as some Nikon owners have that this is a ceiling cameras have hit as a max iso.
The image is certainly clear enough to know what it being viewed but in a photo outside of security reasons being desperate for any image being better than none I feel it to be a max level.
We will have to wait and see what Canon bring to the table.
Given they didn't increase the iso but supposedly with the new sensor gave better results, perhaps they knew not to waste r and d and put the research into getting what we have better.
I mean who would prefer iso at 6400 looking like iso 100? Crazy maybe but yes please.

Last edited:
Reactions: dkh
Owen I have ordered mine from Proav.co.uk and they are advising mid May at latest but could be as early as mid April but unlikely to be before that.
I ordered from them as they offer a full Canon warranty and a vat receipt and the usual 64gb cfast card and reader as per Jessops etc, however, they are also giving a second 64gb cfast card and of course free postage.

Search the forum for Nikon D5 and look at the last ten posts certainly the last 5, my O my what tales of woe and sorrow, don't like to glote but it's hard not to!

lol ill have to have a look mate lol..... if I didn't own glass for the canon shifting to Nikon would have been an easier decision but I just received the 20-4001.4x lens no way would I change now lol

Seriously Owen if what I am reading is only half true you'll be really glad you stayed Canon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back