Canon 1DX Mk II announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right - first tests in sports with the 1DX mkII.
It was for a client, so couldn't experiment too much on settings...
Tried ISO from 6400 to 12800 - and definitely looked cleaner than on 1DX.
And would be more than happy to send clients images shot at ISO12800 .. something that was so/so with the 1DX mkI.
AF locked in smooth - kept tracking and held the focus.

Also - used the video for few moment, and grabbed a JPEG from that footage... DAMN!!!!
The quality of the JPEG from the video footage... it was more than enough for most uses for sports images.
Web/Newspaper/Back-page image/Match Day programme.....
I'd seen some samples from photographer MUCH more experienced and skilled than me... so had an idea what to expect.
But.. was blown away by the quality of the JPEG frame grab from the video-file..

All in all a decent first proper test - did learn few things and will make adjustments for tomorrow.
But as should be expected... the results 'straight out of the box' are good - but one does need to do the individual adjustments to suit what you are shooting, etc.

Word of warning if you get one,the Cfast card and reader seem to have to be claimed online in Europe.

So far love the red A/F point and extra customization of the picture styles,A/F seems more responsive and files seem cleaner both RAW and jpeg but wont get a proper test till race day tomorrow.

Nothing special as day out with the boys today but a couple of samples.

Only jpeg but straight out of camera at standard picture style settings.

RAW's are excellent and so far impressed with how quick A/F locks on in poor light and the new metering seems to work a treat in mixed light.

Out on a proper job tomorrow so will try and get some images from old and new if weather permits as Oulton Park has been terrible the last two days according to togs up there.

1/ ISO 12800

2/ ISO 25600

Nothing special as day out with the boys today but a couple of samples.

Only jpeg but straight out of camera at standard picture style settings.

RAW's are excellent and so far impressed with how quick A/F locks on in poor light and the new metering seems to work a treat in mixed light.

Out on a proper job tomorrow so will try and get some images from old and new if weather permits as Oulton Park has been terrible the last two days according to togs up there.

1/ ISO 12800

2/ ISO 25600
Can you post a high dynamic range raw file for us to play around with?

They really look good for such a high ISO
thanks for posting.

Rob.

Can you post a high dynamic range raw file for us to play around with?

In all honesty and without being funny I'm afraid I can't as I can't remove as far as I know the camera serial number from it and I don't particularly want it floating around on the web.

On the other side of it I also never shoot sport in RAW only JPEG and think the files demonstrate the improvement fairly well.

They really look good for such a high ISO
thanks for posting.

Rob.

Cheers Rob

Had my first proper job this weekend at British Superbikes and was very impressed with many things about the new camera.

If you have like me developed presets to use with the previous cameras that only need a tweek before between models you will need to bin them and start again as the difference in files is amazing in all honesty,just need to start playing with in camera styles now and then could save even more time.

Any better than the MK 1 do you think?

how is the red square in af servo.

It's a lot easier to see again now like the earlier models.

Any better than the MK 1 do you think?

Depends on size of pocket and work I would think,if I you shoot sports then I would say it's a no brainier purely for the amount it has be tuned and refined as we all know the 1DX is no slouch.

Best Canon camera I had for sports was the old 1D MKIIN and in all honesty this is just like a 1DX version of the N.

Video doesn't interest me so not even in my thoughts but the following are improved I feel

1/Customisation

2/Image quality and ISO handling

3/Auto Focus

4/Metering and accurate consistent white balance

A lot more seems to be geared at getting the image off camera quicker without the need for a separate pc as in more detailed picture style adjustments plus crop and resize so if you have the optional wireless adaptor tethered with your phone you could send direct from camera.

Sensor seems to produce more accurate colour and give increased detail in shadow areas to the point I can't use my presets I built up for Lightroom using the MKIV and 1DX.Noise is less and appears to be a lot finer if that's possible so wouldn't hesitate using 12500 or maybe even higher once I'm used to it.

Metering in mixed light seems a lot more accurate as I used to find a bright colour scheme on a bike used to throw it way out and permanently used Exposure compensation to correct this even on the 1DX, also A/F used to be hit and miss on certain colour bikes yet now works 97% of the time.

Sounds silly but Red A/F point would be a god send for football games I would think.

The 1DX still is a bloody great camera and in all honesty if you have the need work wise for the 1DX then you won't be dissatisfied with the MKII.

I heard the dynamic range is better on the mk 2 but I don't know anything else

Don't know if the dynamic range is better or not as most stuff I saw pointed to it being worse in the new camera at base ISO but a fair either increase or retainment as you move up.

Will say that the images straight out of camera look remarkably different although I can get the 1DX images to look the same with a little post work. I'm sure the MKII files though have a lot more to be played with and will take a fair bit of post work without falling apart.

Last edited:
Thanks for that really comprehensive answer, Glen, my main interest is in the AF performance and the f8 coverage in the selectable points...as I use a 400 DO mk 2 and a 2x mk 3 adaptor for reach and light weight....and the low light performance is important to..(I shoot mainly wildlife).

Good to hear your comments!..thanks!

George.

Thanks for that really comprehensive answer, Glen, my main interest is in the AF performance and the f8 coverage in the selectable points...as I use a 400 DO mk 2 and a 2x mk 3 adaptor for reach and light weight....and the low light performance is important to..(I shoot mainly wildlife).

Good to hear your comments!..thanks!

George.

No problem George and in all honesty it was really strange just having a play with the 500mm and 2x tc the other day and the Red A/F pointer does help with how dark the view can become,will give you another update at the weekend as out to our local reserve to sit in a hide for a day ;-)

Just a quick note that if you click on the images of the croc etc above you can view the original jpegs at 100%

How many of you guys who have posted on this thread received their mk2 yet ? still awaiting on mine im number 9 in the queue of 12 who have ordered from Harrisons of Sheffield who as of yesterday still haven't received stock from Canon yet. Apparently calumet pre ordered 200 from canon does anyone know if they have received stock from Canon yet ?

Last edited:
Don't think too many have received them (judging by the fact that not many have commented on using/receiving them.
I was lucky enough to get mine two weeks ago - got mine from Calumet, so I know they got stock on the first day of delivery in the UK.

The camera is well worth the wait !!

Received mine from WEX and know one or to others that also had their ones delivered.

Do Canon concentrate on supplying pro dealers first or is it pot luck whoever you place an order with?

Do Canon concentrate on supplying pro dealers first or is it pot luck whoever you place an order with?

I placed three separate orders all with Pro dealers and only WEX not only kept me upto date but delivered the goods.
Calumet denied all knowledge of my order being placed despite the fact that i had also purchased several items the same time as I put my order in with them.
Still waiting to hear back from the third despite several e-mails so full points to WEX.

Are all you guys who have received theirs CPS members ? might send CPS an email tonight to see if they can tell be when im likely to see mine I was hoping to have mine for the Chatsworth horse trials this weekend

I am CPS member - I also have shopped for years in this branch of Calumet ( @Gadget-Guy - I paid my pre-order at the time of ordering.. so would have been hard for Calumet to miss that, surely you got some receipt/order number for yours as well??).
No idea whether Canon supply dealers with CPS members on pre-order list .. or how it goes.
This was the first time I've pre-ordered stuff ... as I believe it is bit of pot luck who gets them first... and if in a hurry to get the gear, you might be left waiting for your pre-order while other dealers are selling them from the shelves already.

I am CPS member - I also have shopped for years in this branch of Calumet ( @Gadget-Guy - I paid my pre-order at the time of ordering.. so would have been hard for Calumet to miss that, surely you got some receipt/order number for yours as well??).
No idea whether Canon supply dealers with CPS members on pre-order list .. or how it goes.
This was the first time I've pre-ordered stuff ... as I believe it is bit of pot luck who gets them first... and if in a hurry to get the gear, you might be left waiting for your pre-order while other dealers are selling them from the shelves already.

Much like yourself have shopped for years at the local Milton Keynes warehouse of Calumet so am fairly well known and took the chaps word regards a pre-order as have never been asked for a deposit either from them who i have an account with or from WEX who just took my CPS number this time to attach with my order.Was told by a chap at WEX that pparently the first batch would be given priority to CPS members although im sure someone said they received one from WEX on here without having to give a CPS number so not sure this is actually true.

I was told when I enquired about availability that the dealer only expected 3 to be delivered to fulfil pre orders and after that they couldn't say when they would have the next ones but, if I preordered they would guarantee that I got one. I asked what number on the pre order I would be. Number 4!! Given that they wanted me to pay upfront I said that I would wait until the rush had died down.

Interestingly, just had info from Adorama (a pretty large store in NY) that they have pre orders for 80 and only received 20 so far!

I would hazard a guess that lots of the first deliveries are going to big agencies who cover the Olympics ....
That was the case four years ago... when I bought my 1DX at the Olympics (even there they had shortage of the cameras).

Found out today that my local shop is to receive 4 this week then after that they have not been informed as to when the new batch is due in , as I said earlier i'm no 9 out of 12 so who knows when I will receive mine :( I have sent an E mail to my CPS rep this evening , I await their reply

Last edited:
this pre ordering lark seems to be pretty pointless unless Canon can supply enough bodies to fulfil orders. Maybe if they put a cut off date for pre orders with a commit to fulfilling those ordered to that date it would ensure that people aren't left wondering if they should hang on or try somewhere else.

Also you've only got the dealers word where you are on the list and, as we have seen on here, some dealers can't even acknowledge your order or deny that you made one.

I agree with Gas j the pre order idea is a bit of a joke and just down to Luck as to when your order Might be filled ,being a Number on a list is worthless information a bit like We will post ASAP means nothing
In the USA they are having the same problem too it's just a crazy way of trying to buy something .

Once iv made my mind up to buy something then I track down who has it NOW and buy it i'm not going to wait in the hope i'm high up on a list .

Rob.

Once iv made my mind up to buy something then I track down who has it NOW and buy it i'm not going to wait in the hope i'm high up on a list .

Rob.[/QUOTE]

I ordered my original 1DX via Digital Rev and saved £500 4 years ago thinking now maybe I should have done the same, ordered it Sunday night got it Thursday morning as I recall

Few from a local airshow.

Can safely say the A/F is a great improvement over the previous model but im still on the fence regards noise and DR gains as although i feel that the image quality is better i don't think that there is a massive gain as many are saying although what noise is there does appear to be either more controlled or being dealt with better in camera for jpeg files.

1/
i-NfT6n3M-XL.jpg

2/
i-xXZBPK4-XL.jpg

3/
i-q9vN822-XL.jpg

4/
i-tCKrK4k-XL.jpg

5/
i-QhTWhQH-XL.jpg

6/
i-X9xG7F4-XL.jpg

Hmm, this if true won't effect my costs as I have already paid in full but is of course effecting my getting the dam thing!

Volume shipments now taking place in the US, say my contacts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back