Canon 1DX Mk II announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, how do you find it? Do you use PS and or LR? If so what makes you use DPP still?
Cheers.

Thanks, how do you find it? Do you use PS and or LR? If so what makes you use DPP still?
The raw converter in DPP will often be superior to that of Adobe in the first few months following release of a new body.

Bob

Thanks Bob, I was reading quite a few forums here and there regards LR & PS vs DPP.
No final verdict but as you say people were commenting that DPP had some advantages or perceived as per user.
As normal we all differ on issues etc, cheers Simon.

Although when the 1dx mkii arives it is being supplied with a cfast reader and 2 64gb cfast 2.0 cards.
I have noticed that some of the 'older' cards although cfast 2.0 the speeds have gone up slightly.
Some have gone up on both read and write some only one or the other.

However, one thing I have noticed is the gain in speeds are only slight, the Lexar goes from 3400x to 3600x and 510mb to 540mb receptively.
I can see for some that 30 mb is quite a lot when compared to the lower end cards, non cfast, as they can be as slow as 45mb at their max speed.
But looking at the costs of the older 3400x vs 3600x £219 vs £469 for 256gb Lexar I'm not so sure I'd be happy paying the extra for such a small increase in speed.

I see Canon are on tour around England with the mkii and the last date is 9th May at their hq in Reigate and who would bet that after this last tour date the cameras will start to be sent out?

Hi Simon where is the tour date listto be found have you got a link you could post up, Monday was the date I was first given for the arrival of my mk2 but read various other forum it's most likely 1 may as i'm a cps member
I see Canon are on tour around England with the mkii and the last date is 9th May at their hq in Reigate and who would bet that after this last tour date the cameras will start to be sent out?

...and they've done Scotland, Simon, was at Calumet Glasgow a week ago, had another play and a couple of excellent talks-Eddie Keogh did the still stuff and says (and showed) that the new AF is even better than the old one in terms of tracking.

Will want to play myself prior to ordering, however!!
George

Last edited:
If my patience was as good as it is with teaching the apprentice I have then I too would have preferred to have had a play prior to ordering.
However, as per previous post (few pages back) I am coming from the 1d mkiv and am hopeful the pros that have done some pre-release reviews and mention the AF is better than the 1dx mk1 haven't got it wrong.
7 years with the 1d mkiv and am still happy with it but really looking forward to FF as have been away from that since my film days.
Also given the 1dx is known for excellent AF I can't imagine the mkii is worse and therefore should be better than my mkiv.
Also since Canon changed their rules about CPS membership and the equipment needed and I dropped my membership after my accident and was away from work for some years I now find myself not able to join until I get one more lens as although I have 3 'L lenses'one doesn't qualify.

Hmm I have just rechecked the membership requirements and they now show I do have enough lenses once I have the second body.
I did have two quailifing bodies, well I still have the bodies but they dropped the 1d mkii from the list some time ago.
Also the list I looked at last time must be some old internet cached page as the qualifying list didn't have my 24mm f/3.5L mkii but has now which means I do have 3 lenses and one body qualifying so when the 1dx mkii arrives I shall be rejoining.
I noticed the service costs are lower than the local LCE charge.

Last edited:
Hi Kev here is the list, scroll down a short way pass the gumph for the dates etc
http://www.canon.co.uk/about_us/events/1dx-mark-ii-roadshow/
Thanks Simon unfortunately I don't think I will be making the trip from Sheffield over to Manchester to get my first touch with the mk2 I will just have to wait until I get my mitts on my own , You'll certainly notice a massive difference from the 1d mkiv to the 1dx mk2 as you'll have come up two models in on foul swoop

Yes it was a tough call not to get the 1dx but at the time I felt the extra 1.5mp and 2fps (non live view) weren't worth it, putting aside the ff Vs 1.3 crop. Of course I recognise the better AF and other improvements but at the time cost was an issue as well and the main differences weren't for me worth it.

Well it looks like shipments will start soon, possibly Friday, so we should get some real world reports!!

Well it looks like shipments will start soon, possibly Friday, so we should get some real world reports!!

Fingers crossed i should be picking my one up Thursday Morning and then going straight up Lakenheath in search of some F22's but if all else fails i have a weekend of work at British Superbikes to abuse it :)

Fingers crossed i should be picking my one up Thursday Morning and then going straight up Lakenheath in search of some F22's but if all else fails i have a weekend of work at British Superbikes to abuse it :)
.....and perhaps a report on here on Monday!!!!???...

Had a play around with one on Monday at a local canon event.. Wow what a camera.. But I genuinely believe it's geared for shooting video..

The customisation is incredible,, my menu pages 3, Custon Q button to name a few. Feels better in the hand somehow, the joystick buttons have a larger footprint which is nice. Canon claim its a stop and a half better in the iso, but nobody was allowed to take any pictures with it.. F8 all focus points is a really useful addition.

The video capabilities are just of the scale, just stunning some of the stuff a couple of guys shot in just 3 hours, But that's only any good if you shoot video.

Will I upgrade, unfortunately not, I'll probably get another previously loved 1DX.

Saw that the first ones had been shipped to Asia on Canon rumors today, How long have you had yours on order for Glen ?

About 1 week after it was announced from one online retailer and have another on order from a large local stockist from about 1 month ago.

About 1 week after it was announced from one online retailer and have another on order from a large local stockist from about 1 month ago.
Traded my mk1 in about 5 weeks ago and hopefully with me been a cps member I may be one of the lucky ones receiving their mk2 this week ;)

Although I first did not see it as much as an upgrade the high ISO shots that have been shown along with the improved AF offer enough for me to order one .

The low Mps count and the noisy SILENT shutter is still very disappointing but many times I can use Live view for birds that are still and the better ISO may mean a bit of a catch up by showing more detail at a higher ISO A bit of wishful thinking here :)
Anyway it should be here in a week or so then I can see .

Rob.

Yes, that was my info that they were shipping on Friday.

George.

Had an e-mail earlier in the week from WEX with a delivery date of Thursday which was then updated to them receiving a shipment Friday for delivery on Saturday with free Saturday delivery upgrade for customers with pre orders. Calumet have stock apparently arriving today or tomorrow and all have been allocated to people on the pre order waiting list but none for sale to anyone walking in off the street at this time.

Although I first did not see it as much as an upgrade the high ISO shots that have been shown along with the improved AF offer enough for me to order one .

The low Mps count and the noisy SILENT shutter is still very disappointing but many times I can use Live view for birds that are still and the better ISO may mean a bit of a catch up by showing more detail at a higher ISO A bit of wishful thinking here :)
Anyway it should be here in a week or so then I can see .

Rob.

I did see a few examples of images in another forum link that showed an improvement in colour saturation and contrast but im fairly excited about the f8 focusing on more than just the centre point and improved metering and A/F.

Picking my pre-ordered ones tomorrow on my return back to the UK ... so will be putting them through a test over the weekend and see how I get on.
Although.. I guess first day or two should be spent on RTFM ... before being too excited or disappointed.

There are few things I am hoping to test as soon as!!

But.. I think it's better if I leave the commenting/comparison to people who are better at it.
All I ever hope from my cameras is that they produce quality that myself and my clients are happy with :)

This from Canon's FB page, my ? then their answer;
Image Chameleon I'm waiting for delivery of mine. Been on preorder for sometime now so when will I get it?
"}" class="UFILikeLink">Like · Reply · 14 hrs

Canon UK
Hi there, great news - our 'sale start' date for the EOS 1D X Mark II is today! Yay! Your retailer will be able to you when you can expect to see yours. It' a real game changer, we can't wait to see what you think.
"}" class="UFILikeLink">Like · Reply · 3 mins

Looks like some pigeon English but absolutely confirms what others are saying about collecting theirs. :)

Got mine today - was at the store when the delivery came in (just happened that way, I wasn't camping there over night!).
Batteries on the charge - will have a test later tonight, and over the weekend in 'real life' situations...

At the store they said (as there was someone asking about 1DX mkII) - that 'in store' sales, without a pre-order.. would be estimated to mid- to late-May.
So not that long of a wait, even if you hadn't pre-ordered....

Got mine today - was at the store when the delivery came in (just happened that way, I wasn't camping there over night!).
Batteries on the charge - will have a test later tonight, and over the weekend in 'real life' situations...

At the store they said (as there was someone asking about 1DX mkII) - that 'in store' sales, without a pre-order.. would be estimated to mid- to late-May.
So not that long of a wait, even if you hadn't pre-ordered....

Excellent!!...lucky you!!

Right... yesterday evening was spend with the nose in the manual and reading about new (and old) features of the Canon 1DX mkII (even for more seasoned photographers, it is always worth to RTFM !!)

Took both my new bodies out for a little testing at the back garden today (small spell without rain!!) - so far impressions are great.
Focus is that little bit faster than the 1DX mkI - shooting action/sound is much improved.
Was a treat to listen to the shutter on HighSpeed shooting... all of a sudden the 1DX mkI sounds noisy as anything ;-)

In the hand, to me these felt the same as the mkI - maybe bit different, but then again - my mkI are four years old by now... so have grown used to their feel.

One big improvement that I noticed on the build - was the opening of the memory card door.. feels much more robust than in the previous models.
Tested this with 'only' the CF card - as the CFfast card+reader is something you need to apply after you get your cameras (not sure if this is everywhere.. or just with the first batch??)
And don't see it worth spending money on CFfast cards and reader.. as with a bit of wait I should get them free....

Then the reason that really turned my mind when I considered whether to get these or not.. the Video and AF.
I know.. we're photographers and still images are still the bread&butter for me - but so many of my clients ask for various little videos, BTS clips ... so I have been using video for years as well.
This was every bit as good as I had hoped... the touch screen AF during video... it really is priceless for me. As this means I can travel with one less piece of kit in my bags!!

Naturally my first test was outside with nice contrast on blue sky, yellow fields and green trees... so images looked great in contrast, colour rendition...
The first proper tests for me will be over the weekend, when I go indoors to less than ideally light conditions.
Then I can get the first 'real world' comparisons to what the difference in High ISO will between this and the mkI.
I am not expecting a HUGE improvement - but if I can get cleaner images on high ISO... that makes me smile even more :)

Lots to still read and test and go through... but that's part of the fun of getting new kit into ones bag.

So, first impressions... definitely worth it for me - and great to have this a week before a big event, so there is bit of time to get used to thee new kit

I wonder if it's time to close this thread and start an owners one.......happy to organise that if it's felt worthwhile?....I could contact Marcel?

George.

Hmm not so happy at the moment, just got this email regards expected delivery of my mkii;
Jordan Ashmore via proav.onmicrosoft.com
15:25 (6 minutes ago) to me
Hi Simon,
We have had one unit come in but have no ETA’s on the others,
We have spoken to other dealers and they have either had none or one of them who ordered 200 only got 2.
Kindest Regards

Yes well however kind it doesn't look good, I just hope the wait isn't much longer now.

Hmm not so happy at the moment, just got this email regards expected delivery of my mkii;
Jordan Ashmore via proav.onmicrosoft.com
15:25 (6 minutes ago) to me
Hi Simon,
We have had one unit come in but have no ETA’s on the others,
We have spoken to other dealers and they have either had none or one of them who ordered 200 only got 2.
Kindest Regards

Yes well however kind it doesn't look good, I just hope the wait isn't much longer now.

I guess pre-orders are always a bit of a 'risk' - you never know where they get first and who gets them...
Guess I was lucky with my pre-order of getting it yesterday when the deliveries started to be made.

Normally I have not been one to pre-order stuff.. as you sometimes find out that where you pre-ordered yours is getting them later than some other places start selling directly from shelves.

Guess certain patience is required when pre-ordering... (I know - it is not always easy!!!)

Hope you get yours soon!

Was hoping that I might have been getting a phone call from my local camera store today but heard nothing so I rang them to ask if they had any deliveries of mk2 today " none have come in today " :(

I see Digital Rev are offering 4-7 days delivery at £4549!......however usual comments re them apply!!

Yes looking forward to trying one myself!!...and to forum members' opinions...better than any reviews!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back