Canon 1DX Mk II announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
It may be a good deal but that's still over £200 a month for two years! :eek:

It's basically for wildlife photographers who have big long lenses and teleconverters stacked which may mean that F8 is actualy the most open they can shoot at. So being able to select all the points instead of just the centre is worth it.

But for most people, this whole f/8 thing means very little.

Overall,based on specs but obviously pending actual reviews ;) i'd say the D5 has this trumped.

All that remains really is to see what the dynamic range is like. The DR of this camera will almost certainly give a very good indication of what the DR from the next 5D will be like..

Really can't see the justification for this unless you've got more money than sense or make a significant living from photography. I was expecting quite a bit more but it's pretty much the 1DX with a few tweaks here and there.

Really can't see the justification for this unless you've got more money than sense or make a significant living from photography. I was expecting quite a bit more but it's pretty much the 1DX with a few tweaks here and there.

The 1DX was more expensive than this at launch and that was four years ago!

Last edited:
Hopefully the price of a MkI will come down a bit more and I'll be able to afford a second one (It's come down £300 since I bought mine last May) - might get a Mkii in a couple of years - at over five grand it's not worth it for me at the moment.

It will be an incredible camera (as it the original version)

Andy Rouse says that the sensor is way better than 1DX so it's all ok. Get your orders in now

Always updated because the updates where always worth it from 10d through to 1dx (2 of each from 1dmkII upwards) .. this most certainly isn't .. I would update for much better iso capabilities and built in wifi ... theres nothing here for me shooting sports to be honest ..

3 -4 years for this? no thanks..

It looks like these cameras have peaked or are very close to peaking with what can be added to make an upgrade justifiable, for photographers anyway. For videographers, this is a huge upgrade over what went before as it will allow AF plus 4K @ 60fps which pretty much competes with or beats everything else out there presently. I have a feeling the 5D MkIV will go down a similar route and be much more of an upgrade for videographers than photographers.

This should also tell us something about where a large section of the photography industry may be headed?? There is more and more video appearing everywhere and the ability to extract quality hi-res frames from 4K video is interesting!

It looks like these cameras have peaked or are very close to peaking with what can be added to make an upgrade justifiable, for photographers anyway. For videographers, this is a huge upgrade over what went before as it will allow AF plus 4K @ 60fps which pretty much competes with or beats everything else out there presently. I have a feeling the 5D MkIV will go down a similar route and be much more of an upgrade for videographers than photographers.

This should also tell us something about where a large section of the photography industry may be headed?? There is more and more video appearing everywhere and the ability to extract quality hi-res frames from 4K video is interesting!

I am not a video person so maybe I just dont get it.. but the inability to zoom and focus like any bog standard camera makes it unusable for anything I can think of using video for...

Actual hands on review
http://www.canon-europe.com/for_hom...=social&utm_source=BANNED&utm_campaign=buffer

So having read the article.. the only two things that stand out for me are..

But with the sensor offering impressive ISO capabilities, I found that shooting at ISO 3200 gave me the same quality of images I used to get when shooting at ISO 1600 on the EOS-1D X.

I am a little supried thats all been said.. sounds good but would ahve thought more on this considering he mentioned low light

Plus there's a new feature on the EOS-1D X Mark II that is genuinely advantageous," he reveals. "It's the crop and send function. This is fantastic for photographers like me working in sports photography. You can select a picture that you've taken and crop it in camera, which it then saves as another JPEG. In sport, 95 percent of our pictures are cropped. It's very rare that a sports picture is sent to clients uncropped, so this function is absolutely valuable and saves an awful lot of time."

Yes would be good this.. but not thousands of pounds good unless all your work is time sensative..

I would want to see a review from someone NOT associated with canon someone NOT getting paid and or someone with Nothing to gain..

Calumet are giving a free 2 day test drive

Not sure what I was expecting but it was more than this, if I owned a 1DX I'm not sure I'd be in any rush to upgrade.

So having read the article.. the only two things that stand out for me are..

I am a little supried thats all been said.. sounds good but would ahve thought more on this considering he mentioned low light

Yes would be good this.. but not thousands of pounds good unless all your work is time sensative..

I would want to see a review from someone NOT associated with canon someone NOT getting paid and or someone with Nothing to gain..

I read the article by Eddie Keogh this morning extolling the virtues of the 1Dx II, but then he would, wouldn't he!!??

I too was interested in the crop and send feature, but on further investigation this is limited to 3:2 or 2:3

Andy Rouse is one of the few people on the web I'd listen to when looking for reviews of new models

He has a vested interest in giving it a good review.... just read it and he has gone OTT .... bit of a sell out for me and certainly not coming accross as independant

Ok guys. There have been a number of comments about the specs being nothing special so what would you have liked to see in this camera.

And let's keep it real! No 50 MP with 20 FPS :)

I read the article by Eddie Keogh this morning extolling the virtues of the 1Dx II, but then he would, wouldn't he!!??

I too was interested in the crop and send feature, but on further investigation this is limited to 3:2 or 2:3

But this is the problem. Dont get that many independent good reviews on cameras these days. Everything revolves around the sensor so when DXO mark say that this sensor has half a microscopic ball hair more DR than this one everyone assumes the camera is rubbish. And I'm pretty damn sure that if a full review of the MkII was made available now most would head straight for the ISO performance page and then the AF page.

Ok guys. There have been a number of comments about the specs being nothing special so what would you have liked to see in this camera.

Its more the spec they have added.. extra 2mp .. extra 4 frame per sec.. larger buffer and better af .... uninspiring .. I ahve enough points.. my af is great and the frame rate is more than enough as is...

I would like built in wifi with easy transfer of locked files say
maybe 24mp just for those long reach shots on the 400 prime :)
and... I thought not much improvement in iso capabilities but i might be wrong on that score so....jury out on that

Anyone looking at the 1dxII or reviewing it.. its a fantastic camera and probably worth every penny..... It's the 1dx to 1dxII that has to be worth the 3k+ it would cost to upgrade...

I am not a video person so maybe I just dont get it.. but the inability to zoom and focus like any bog standard camera makes it unusable for anything I can think of using video for...
Watch a movie tonight and see how much zooming is actually done. Very little to none will be the answer. Also, focussing is generally done manually with an on lens follow focus or focus puller.

A camcorder is a very different animal to a movie camera.

A Foveon sensor (and all its benefits) would have swung it for me.

Or photography is your passion and you want the best equipment that you can afford??
This. People's budgets are different but I always tend to get the best that I can afford. I doubt I'd ever be able to afford something like this, but if you can and it's what you want then why not (y)

This. People's budgets are different but I always tend to get the best that I can afford. I doubt I'd ever be able to afford something like this, but if you can and it's what you want then why not (y)

Well I'm fortunate. I'm retiring in July, no kids, don't smoke, don't drink and no way in hell am I leaving it to the government so in reality compared to the costs of all that lot £5000 in sweet FA :)

Focus peaking, zebra stripes, C-Log and all the other video features that Magic Lantern mysteriously manage to provide on old hardware [just software]
Clean 4K HDMI output rather than limiting it to HD
Canon's iTR still sounds to be a step behind Nikon's 3D Tracking [likely to be an issue of software algorithms]
Something similar to Olympus' Live Bulb mode [just software?]
The ability to do exposure longer than 30s without having to switch to Bulb. [just software]
Replaceable card slots a la Nikon's D5, with choice of CF, CFast, XQD or SD
Integrated wifi
An electronic shutter a la Fuji (to allow 1/32,000s shutter speeds) [depending on the sensor, might just be an issue of software. Was the case for Fuji]
Then combine live-view and the electronic shutter to keep a rolling buffer of photos, to allow 'post event' capture.
Easy exposure compensation in M+AutoISO [just software]
Given it now has GPS, include a menu option that tells you when sunset/rise is going to be for the current location, and the direction it'll be. [just software]
In-built intervalometer [just software]

Last edited:
Focus peaking, zebra stripes, C-Log and all the other video features that Magic Lantern mysteriously manage to provide on old hardware [just software]
Clean 4K HDMI output rather than limiting it to HD
Canon's iTR still sounds to be a step behind Nikon's 3D Tracking [likely to be an issue of software algorithms]
Something similar to Olympus' Live Bulb mode [just software?]
The ability to do exposure longer than 30s without having to switch to Bulb. [just software]
Replaceable card slots a la Nikon's D5, with choice of CF, CFast, XQD or SD
Integrated wifi
An electronic shutter a la Fuji (to allow 1/32,000s shutter speeds) [depending on the sensor, might just be an issue of software. Was the case for Fuji]
Then combine live-view and the electronic shutter to keep a rolling buffer of photos, to allow 'post event' capture.
Easy exposure compensation in M+AutoISO [just software]
Given it now has GPS, include a menu option that tells you when sunset/rise is going to be for the current location, and the direction it'll be. [just software]
In-built intervalometer [just software]

Well keep dreaming on those Paul coz no way will Canon see the majority of those as being relevant to its target market. And that's what it's all about. Canon look to Nikon and vice versa. They don't compete at this level with anyone else so they don't need to be proactive.

Half of those would divert people away from their even more expensive cinema line (focus peaking, 4K HDMI, etc), or cut down on people buying overpriced accessories (inbuilt intervalometer).

Just noticed this https://BANNED/CanonUKandIE?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

And all it's disadvantages? You'd be happy with a pro spec camera that was useless above 400ISO?
If Sigma can get a 48MP APS-C sensor running at 6400 then I'll wager that Canon's amplifier setup can come up with something a lot cleaner on a lower density full frame platform. For me however, ( unconstrained by grey british skies) 95% of what I take is iso 800 or lower and the other 5% is still a struggle at iso 51600.

The 1Dx was groundbreaking in 2012 (and I'm still very happy with mine) but the MkII doesn't appear to have brought too much new tech to the party.....IMHO. If Canon are running out of ideas to improve what they've got then maybe it's time to change direction with certain aspects.

Bob

There is an Olympics this year so bound to happen...Wex has it at same prices as noted above with MK1 a thousand quid cheaper...

If Sigma can get a 48MP APS-C sensor running at 6400 then I'll wager that Canon's amplifier setup can come up with something a lot cleaner on a lower density full frame platform. For me however, ( unconstrained by grey british skies) 95% of what I take is iso 800 or lower and the other 5% is still a struggle at iso 51600.

The 1Dx was groundbreaking in 2012 (and I'm still very happy with mine) but the MkII doesn't appear to have brought too much new tech to the party.....IMHO. If Canon are running out of ideas to improve what they've got then maybe it's time to change direction with certain aspects.

Bob
I've just had a look at the SD1 tested at 6400, it's on a different planet to all the CMOS sensors. It's not a viable option in low light, due to the design.
It's a fantastic idea for bright light - but not for most of us most of the time.

Interesting international pricing, USD 6000@1.4=£4285 add 20%VAT=GBP 5142.........in other words, the US and UK prices before tax are almost identical........is this a new pricing strategy from Canon?

George.

My guess is Canon arent aiming at 1Dx users but those that still have 1D mk3 or 4's. I hear Ardman are replacing their old cameras and I think they are typical market. You guys with 1Dx mk1 will burn out your cameras eventually and replace with mk2 (or maybe even mk3).

Jumping from 1D Mk3/4 to 1Dx mk2 is a massive jump in terms of what you get for your money, especially in the AF stakes.

Just my thoughts

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back