Canon 5D MKIII official owners/users thread, anything related to the 5D MKIII

Thanks for the above advice!

Cant wait now, should be with me tomorrow. Just as the weather looks like it may change to rain! :)

Any of you guys and girls shot much action on the 5d3?

Cant wait now, should be with me tomorrow. Just as the weather looks like it may change to rain! :)

My last real shoot was Thundersport GB motorcycle racing at Donington Park. The 5D3 performed admirably and even got me a few paid images too :)

I always use back button focussing, and for the type of photography I do, 99 times out of 100, single shot mode. But, if I was to spot a low flying aircraft, for example, go into Hi speed continuous shooting mode and AIServo AF (yes, the aircrafts probably been and gone by the time I’ve set all this up, but for example purposes) would I have to keep my thumb on the back button to maintain focus on the aircraft?

If you use BBF, then leave the came in AF Servo. That way if you want to track a moving subject you keep it held in and for the occasions you want to fix the focus on one spot ie landscapes and portraits etc, just release the button once focus is acquired.

Tony northrup did a video on YouTube about why people should use BBF.

(This is how my camera is setup btw)

The only problem with that is you do not get focus confirmation beep when in AI Servo.

What I used to do was set up the camera to BBF and have the DOF button assigned to switch to AI Servo when pressed, that way you can switch between the two and not need to go into the settings. Just shoot one shot and when needing AI Servo you just old down the DOF button.

The only problem with that is you do not get focus confirmation beep when in AI Servo.

What I used to do was set up the camera to BBF and have the DOF button assigned to switch to AI Servo when pressed, that way you can switch between the two and not need to go into the settings. Just shoot one shot and when needing AI Servo you just old down the DOF button.
I tried that but my fingers to short to reach around comfortably :(

Ah well that's not so good for you :) I found it quite handy to use. That's when I remembered I had it set that way.

It would be nice if Canon brought out a firmware update for the 5D3 that allowed you to set the AF ON and AE LOCK buttons to have a different function. e.g. AI SERVO for one and ONE SHOT for the other as you can do on the 7D MkII ?

It would be nice if Canon brought out a firmware update for the 5D3 that allowed you to set the AF ON and AE LOCK buttons to have a different function. e.g. AI SERVO for one and ONE SHOT for the other as you can do on the 7D MkII ?
It would be nice to see, but somehow I think if they were going to introduce it, they would have done by now

Yes you're right. The 5D3, 7D MkII and 1DX are their 3 top cameras. It would be nice if the custom controls were consistent across all 3.

Yes you're right. The 5D3, 7D MkII and 1DX are their 3 top cameras. It would be nice if the custom controls were consistent across all 3.
For some reason this just sparked me to send an email of displeasure about the fact that they won't release the SDK to Reikan so that they can automate the AFMA, especially when you can on the 6D and 70D, I've know idea why, it's not as if they will do anything.

I always use back button focussing, and for the type of photography I do, 99 times out of 100, single shot mode. But, if I was to spot a low flying aircraft, for example, go into Hi speed continuous shooting mode and AIServo AF (yes, the aircrafts probably been and gone by the time I’ve set all this up, but for example purposes) would I have to keep my thumb on the back button to maintain focus on the aircraft?

Thanks for all the advice so far.

If I had the AF as the default setting, half press on the shutter button, would the AF maintain focus on the aircraft as long as I kept my finger on the shutter button?

Thanks again

Pete

Thanks very much Gaz.

All cleared up now.

Pete

Well my mk3 arrived on Wednesday. Very pleased with it so far, its a big step up from my old mk1. I can see me enjoying this for a long time to come :) I am still reading through every page of this thread too lol, upto page 70 so far.

If you use BBF, then leave the came in AF Servo. That way if you want to track a moving subject you keep it held in and for the occasions you want to fix the focus on one spot ie landscapes and portraits etc, just release the button once focus is acquired.

Tony northrup did a video on YouTube about why people should use BBF.

(This is how my camera is setup btw)

+1, that is exactly how I have set mine up. dont forget to turn off AF on the shutter button though or it will re-focus when you go to take the shot ;) Honestly think that should be the default setup on them.

guys i am heading to Le Mans in 2 weeks for the Moto GP. I would like a spare battery for "just incase" so far I've never had my battery die on me but id like to get a spare to take, where should i buy from???

thanks

guys i am heading to Le Mans in 2 weeks for the Moto GP. I would like a spare battery for "just incase" so far I've never had my battery die on me but id like to get a spare to take, where should i buy from???

thanks
I ought one of these from Amazon, I have used it numerous times along with the original in a grip. It reports all data correctly and charges with the original charger :)

Yes I do. basketball... Photo of the week in a Feb programme and I only submitted to them twice!

i am thinking about hiring a 1.4x III extender for my trip to Le Mans Moto GP, ill be pairing it with my 100-400 II, I've updated to the camera to the latest firmware so it should auto focus, any tips for setting or IS modes to use????

You were talking about Back Button Focus a few posts earlier. Don't you find the lack of exposure lock on focus an issue (not to mention no focus confirmation)? e.g. in servo focus on a stationary target, I would move the nearest focus point to the subject, focus, and then do a slight recompose to get best framing, this movement can then give a very different exposure if it is contrasty condions - which I don't want. I know I can use the AE lock button immediately after focusing but this is then three button presses to take one shot, too many for quickly changing subjects like dance.

Last edited:
You dont get focus conf in AI servo just in one shot and the first thing I do when I buy any camera is turn off the beep as there is nothing worse that sitting in a hide and hearing the camera of the guy next to you bloody beeping away when the whole point is to be quiet. Only surpassed by the idiots that have the ringers on their phone still on.

But no I don't find any disadvantage to BBF

HI all, not sure if this is the right spot but as a 5D mkIII owners thread I thought it was as good a place to start as any.
I now only shoot portraits and a little bit of landscape so I thought that I would go FF away from my much loved 7d. However I have a few questions:
1. How does the ISO handling compare to the 7D? I shoot a lot of natural light and need to push the boundaries quite often. The reviews are favourable, but are the actual results that good?
2. Am I mad to buy now or wait....the age old debate of new models coming out soon?
3. Where to buy? I have read loads of good reviews about Panamoz, but as I am in NY next week, is that a better option?
4. If I buy in the US is there anything that I need to be aware of? warranty etc?

Thanks in advance....it is a pricey purchase and I just want to make sure it if the right thing to do.

K

HI all, not sure if this is the right spot but as a 5D mkIII owners thread I thought it was as good a place to start as any.
I now only shoot portraits and a little bit of landscape so I thought that I would go FF away from my much loved 7d. However I have a few questions:
1. How does the ISO handling compare to the 7D? I shoot a lot of natural light and need to push the boundaries quite often. The reviews are favourable, but are the actual results that good?
2. Am I mad to buy now or wait....the age old debate of new models coming out soon?
3. Where to buy? I have read loads of good reviews about Panamoz, but as I am in NY next week, is that a better option?
4. If I buy in the US is there anything that I need to be aware of? warranty etc?

Thanks in advance....it is a pricey purchase and I just want to make sure it if the right thing to do.

K

Assume you're talking about a 7D MkI

1. There is no comparison. The 5D3 is way better than the 7D. Handling of noise and ultimate image quality.

2. No real info about a replacment. If you want it buy it.

3. I would probably go for Panamoz.

4. Cant answer that.

Thanks Gaz.
Yes - I am moving from the 7d mk1, so I think that I am set on the 5d3...you can wait ages for the next bus or get on one now....kinda simple.
I am still debating the merits of buying US vs. Grey Import....but I will ask on the supplier forum.

Thanks for your help.

K

Whenever I've priced anything in the USA there's been, little, if any, saving once you've added on their sales tax.

I would go with Panamoz every time.

At the mo news of the 5D4 are only just vague rumours, the specs in the rumours vary wildly.
The previous 5D models started UK deliveries Octoberish with a lengthy build up.
Given the current lack of info I'm thinking the 5D4 will be the end of next year at the earliest.

I'm regularly pushing my 5D3 high ISO as far as it will go; if the 5D4 is a low-light monster then with no hesitation I'll be an early adopter.
But in the mean time, I'm loving my 5D3 - it's a superb camera!

Sold....once I convince my wife that this is a great idea I will be placing an order tonight! Wish me luck!

One last question.......what glass would you pair it with?
I have a Siggy 30mm 1.4 that I love, but will likely move to the Siggy 50mm.
I will keep the 70-200 f4 IS.
The 17-55 2.8 needs to go though. The 24-105 is the obvious choice, but how do folk find the 24-70 f2.8?

K

Last edited:
Sold....once I convince my wife that this is a great idea I will be placing an order tonight! Wish me luck!

One last question.......what glass would you pair it with?
I have a Siggy 30mm 1.4 that I love, but will likely move to the Siggy 50mm.
I will keep the 70-200 f4 IS.
The 17-55 2.8 needs to go though. The 24-105 is the obvious choice, but how do folk find the 24-70 f2.8?
[/QUOte}

I have the 24-105 and I find for my kind of photography it's kind of limiting with the F4, so I would like the 24-70. That said as a daytime walk about lens it's pretty good.[

Last edited:
but how do folk find the 24-70 f2.8?
Which one? There's a lot of difference between Version I and II, in fact they are completely different. I've got an old Canon 24-70 f/2.8 and a Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC USD. The Tamron is a lot sharper and has less chromatic aberation and is as good as the Canon 24-70 2.8 II, but has image stabilization. The image quality of the Canon 24-105 is not as good as the quality of the Canon II or Tamron and because there's a 70-200 you will not miss anything.

I mostly use my Tamron 24-70 and the 70-200 f4 IS. Although I carry around the 5D III with the 24-70 and an old 5D with the 70-200 attached, so I do not change objectives very often. ;-)

Quick question folks.....I realise I can probably find this out by trawling through the threads, but I wonder if there was a similar firmware update on the 5D3 as there was on the 1 Dx which enabled you to have exposure compensation in manual mode with auto ISO?

Cheers!

George.

I don't believe that you can, George....seems to be exclusive to the 1Dx.

Bob

And the 7d2, don't know why it's not been added, can't be much of a problem to do it. Thanks Bob!

Back