Canon 5D MKIII official owners/users thread, anything related to the 5D MKIII

I use my 5d3 to shoot basketball amongst other things. Love it. Not been tempted to get the 7d2.. Don't need the reach.

Yeah, I'm sure photographers will love the great quality out of focus images that you'll get from the sony when you use it for anything moving faster than snails pace.
How did pros manage to shoot on film in manual focusing for sports a decade ago?

How did pros manage to shoot on film in manual focusing for sports a decade ago?

We used to go to technical college back in the day, learn the underpinning theory and then put 100s of rolls through the camera. We also used to develop the films ourselves. Actually the split focus screens were very fast to use with a bit of practice. No internet or YouTube back in the day !

Have mine coming hopefully tomorrow. Hugely excited. I'm undecided whether to get a battery grip or not, I think I preferred the feel of the 6D with grip. Be interesting to hear if any of you have gone with the third party grip option (the official one is soooo damn expensive).

I bought the Canon grip after buying a third party grip for my 70D and finding it didn't work 100%. It's well worth it if you need a grip.

Yep thats the one I use and seem fully compatible
Does it correctly report the batteries? Mine didn't recognise the batteries inside. Probably a minor thing but it annoyed me enough to buy a Canon one.

yep all seems fine

Were those same batteries OK in the body itself?

Loving my new toy, not quite sussed out the custom functions though. i thought i could set C1 on the control dial and set a bunch of config setting, and they'd be specific to just C1. Hmm, more manual reading reading required I think.

Loving my new toy, not quite sussed out the custom functions though. i thought i could set C1 on the control dial and set a bunch of config setting, and they'd be specific to just C1. Hmm, more manual reading reading required I think.

You can.

Set your camera up as you need, use any setting like AV, TV so on. Check EVERYTHING, which AF point, RAW/ JPEG settings and ISO. Leave settings as they are. Into the menu scroll to the custom settings bit and register the settings to either C1, C2 or C3.

Change settings and set to the other custom settings, job done :)

First time I tried the custom settings I messed up and switched the camera to JPEG only, DOH!

You can.

Set your camera up as you need, use any setting like AV, TV so on. Check EVERYTHING, which AF point, RAW/ JPEG settings and ISO. Leave settings as they are. Into the menu scroll to the custom settings bit and register the settings to either C1, C2 or C3.

First time I tried the custom settings I messed up and switched the camera to JPEG only, DOH!

I am such a dork, forgot the last step to register settings!!! Thanks so much. Lost count of the times I spent ages setting it all up only to lose them all.

Have mine coming hopefully tomorrow. Hugely excited. I'm undecided whether to get a battery grip or not, I think I preferred the feel of the 6D with grip. Be interesting to hear if any of you have gone with the third party grip option (the official one is soooo damn expensive).

Grip never comes off mine, such a pain in the backside shooting portrait without one. Does add to the bulk quite a bit but I kind of like it. With the 70-200 on it's a total tank :)

You can.

C1 for me is set up for street shooting. No display, no beeps, min 1/125 shutter
C2 is setup for flash and studio

Now what would be really handy was if you could write those config settings to your CF card and back them up. Now The Goblin has sorted me out with what I was doing wrong, it's taken a while to get everything set up (and tested). Would be a total bummer if I ever had to swap bodies or reset all my settings and have to load them all in again.

Different cameras may have different or additional features though? i.e. focus modes change on my custom settings. Nothing wrong with making a simple note of the settings you've done

Interesting discovery this afternoon.

I posted this thread covering a weird import issue I have with LR5 on my iMac: https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/lightroom-5-ever-fall-over-while-importing-images.586011/

After posting I decided to see what happens when I have just one card in my camera (this is the first ever dual card body I've had).

- The camera is currently still set up to save RAW to CF and JPEG to SD

- While camera off I removed just the SD card

- Turned the camera back on

Nothing...nada...zip. Camera required a battery pull before it would start up again. This was repeatable. Now with the battery pull, the camera will start OK and take shots. But the camera has clearly still not realised the SD card isn't there and the menus still show the settings to be RAW --> CF and JPEG to SD card. Bit of an oversight there, a prompt to change me record settings would have been nice!

No biggie - just sharing something that might catch somebody out one day.

Last edited:
C1 for me is set up for street shooting. No display, no beeps, min 1/125 shutter
C2 is setup for flash and studio

C1 for me is silent mode (shutter and focus beep) for wedding ceremonies
C2 changes depending on what I'm doing
C3 is "idiot" mode - for when I hand it to someone else to take a picture of me :D

guys can you help, a lot of the pictures i take are of graffiti on wall, and at times the lines in the bricks seem to be curved, why is this and how do i correct it ???

It's lens distortion, all lenses have it to some degree. What lens are you using?

Load it up in Lightroom and select lens profile

guys can you help, a lot of the pictures i take are of graffiti on wall, and at times the lines in the bricks seem to be curved, why is this and how do i correct it ???

In LR and PS there is a setting to correct lens distortion. It should automatically pick out that lens and correct the problem.

Yeah if you're using Lightroom, add the lens profile corrections to your import preset so it's applied to everything as you import it, by far the safest method.

I'm guessing you're shooting a fair bit at the wide end? The 24-105 does suffer from fairly pronounced barrel distortion at 24mm, it's just a facet of the design. In general, the wider the zoom range the more distortion there'll be at the extremes.

C3 is "idiot" mode - for when I hand it to someone else to take a picture of me :D
Lol I might have to 'borrow' your setup, if anything just because it made me chuckle!

Thought I would make my first post in this thread. I am awaiting delivery of my 5D MKIII. Cant wait, used to own the MKI along time ago and loved it, and have been itching to get a full frame camera again for a while.

Enjoyed reading through this thread and browsing the images posted in anticipation of my delivery :)

A very handy feature indeed. I used to always just switch the camera to full auto when anyone wanted a shot. All I used to hear was that the camera won't focus. (I always set BBF on my bodies)

Thought I would make my first post in this thread. I am awaiting delivery of my 5D MKIII. Cant wait, used to own the MKI along time ago and loved it, and have been itching to get a full frame camera again for a while.

Enjoyed reading through this thread and browsing the images posted in anticipation of my delivery :)

The MKIII Is a different beast alltogether. The best thing I can suggest whilst waiting for it would be to download the cameras manual from the canon site and read through it.

Once the camera arrives, read through the whole book again with the camera in hand changing all the settings. Such a good way to learn the camera.

[QUOTE="LBJNBA, post: 6840092, member: 67110"All I used to hear was that the camera won't focus. (I always set BBF on my bodies)[/QUOTE]

BBF ?

Yeah as Duncan said.

Back button focus.

I've always used the AF-ON button for focusing the camera and the shutter button for taking the final shot.

Read up on it. Most people who use it never go back to normal.

Thanks Duncan, the daft thing is I use it myself, but didn't associate the acronym.

Pete.

Back