Canon 5D MKIII official owners/users thread, anything related to the 5D MKIII

Actually for once this shot wasn't too bad! I have a nightmare in Cyprus switching from bright sunlight to shadows, annoyingly this shot has a shutter speed of 1/2000 that I could have reduced it! But I was so shocked that they actually posed I just grabbed! Definitely more grain in the midtones but I've never noticed it quite so much! I have the High ISO speed NR set to standard and the Auto Lighting Optimizer set to standard, although when this was taken it may have been disabled!

This is exported out of LR with no PP at all, now it's on Flickr it doesn't look so bad!

24 Jan 2015_15-2

Cave photography is the most difficult thing I've ever attempted.
Just got back from a trip to practise my lighting in the relatively benign environment of Redcliffe Caves, Bristol.

I39A5840-S.jpg

I39A5770-S.jpg

I39A5803-S.jpg

I39A5766-S.jpg

The 5DIII coped far better than the little X30 I've been taking down the 'real' caves on my reccy trips.
All feedback gratefully received - I've still an awful lot to learn!

Has anyone used the E2 strap with a gripped 5D3? I thought I'd read that you can remove the silly knob that screws into the trip hole and just loop it through the metal anchor on the bottom of the grip but just wanted to make sure that was possible before I dismantle the strap. Never been happy with the E2 strap, but with the grip attached and that knob gone it should be much better.

Answering my own question here from above, but in case anyone's interested you can take off that mount and just thread the fabric through the metal loop on the underside of the grip. I can't get on with the strap at all though - it's either tight enough to do its job in which case reaching some of the buttons is clumsy or it seems like it's too loose and I can reach everything I need to reach. Might explore options for a wrist strap instead when I don't want it attached to a shoulder strap.

A question about the grip - I assume the on/off switch enables the on-grip controls, but is there any detrimental effect to leaving it on? Does it drain from the battery, even with the camera itself switched off?

lol well the 5dr is about to be released...

Not sure I would call 4 months time "about to be released..." June is a long way off. Having almost pulled the trigger on a 7DII based on the pre-release blurb, I drew back very late in the day and that turned out to be the right decision for me. Of course if you are prepared to wait 4 months, perhaps 6 months is a better option?

Not sure I would call 4 months time "about to be released..." June is a long way off. Having almost pulled the trigger on a 7DII based on the pre-release blurb, I drew back very late in the day and that turned out to be the right decision for me. Of course if you are prepared to wait 4 months, perhaps 6 months is a better option?
Where was it stated it will be released June?

And because high end cameras dont get upgraded every year(more like once every 5 years) i would wait half a year.

Also, Nikon/Sony will no doubt release something too so lets be real, if you wait at least till the end of year you will have more choices

About to be released suggests soon....

Not i
Where was it stated it will be released June?

And because high end cameras dont get upgraded every year(more like once every 5 years) i would wait half a year.

Also, Nikon/Sony will no doubt release something too so lets be real, if you wait at least till the end of year you will have more choices

Not if you have an investment in lenses or want to buy a Canon you won't.

Does anyone here use their 5D3 much for night shooting? I'm soon to get one as an upgrade from my 550D and I ended up getting a battery grip for extra battery life for night shooting/timelapses. Since this is something I do often would you lot recommend a battery grip? I have no experience with a 5d3 so I'm unsure of how long they last.

The added weight doesn't bother me because 95% of my photography is done on tripods or sliders.

Last edited:
Depends on how long your shutter is open for.
In typical use I find the battery is good for about 1400 shots, but I have had 2000 off a single charge.
However, lots of long exposures in a night time lapse will put a real dent in this.
IIRC I get less than three hours shooting continuous 30s exposures.

I bought a cheapo grip from eBay giving me double the battery life. Not the best fit and finish, but it works fine :)

Yes I do. Also I don't have a grip and have never 5 thought of getting one. One fully charged battery easily lasts me all night though I always carry a spare as a matter of course.
Even doing a 2 hour star trail shoot with shots taken every 30 seconds fails to significantly dent battery performance.
Never done nightclub shoots with lots of chimping but normal use is not a worry.

Awesome, thanks.

I do a lot of night timelapses, hyperlapses and long exposures. I can't remember the last time I shot faster than my flash sync speed. It's taken it's toll on my poor 550D lol. Still going great though but I can tell it's getting "tired".

Live view and long exposure hammer the battery, I picked up a grip on the weekend because of it.

No its not. There is nothing about an A7R that would make me buy one over a 5D3 or possibly the 5DS/R.

If I wanted a current high res sensor with a broad DR then I would buy a D810 which although using a Sony sensor isn't spoilt by an electronic viewfinder and stupid tilting screen.

No its not. There is nothing about an A7R that would make me buy one over a 5D3 or possibly the 5DS/R.

If I wanted a current high res sensor with a broad DR then I would buy a D810 which although using a Sony sensor isn't spoilt by an electronic viewfinder and stupid tilting screen.
What are you chatting about. There are tons of reasons why a a7r p***es over the 5d3

Erm a little decorum on the forum guys,
you don't need to try urinate on someone or their kit to win an argument ;)

And, a ton of reason why the 5d3 p***es all over the a7r - depends which p*** you like the best?
No there is not.

Only thing going for the 5d3 is the view finder and af. IQ pales in comparison to the a7r and last I heard. For almost any type of photographer. IQ is a big feature.. Else go and shoot with a mobile phone if u don't care about iq

No there is not.

Only thing going for the 5d3 is the view finder and af. IQ pales in comparison to the a7r and last I heard. For almost any type of photographer. IQ is a big feature.. Else go and shoot with a mobile phone if u don't care about iq

Sorry, you're right - there's a tonne of lenses available and I thought it's the glass not the camera that makes the biggest difference? The sony system is handicapped by the available glass. Of course you could buy a converter but then, focus speed will suffer considerably.

And, from personal experience - there really isn't much lacking from the IQ of the camera unless you want to print billboards at 300dpi quality?

Sorry, you're right - there's a tonne of lenses available and I thought it's the glass not the camera that makes the biggest difference? The sony system is handicapped by the available glass. Of course you could buy a converter but then, focus speed will suffer considerably.

And, from personal experience - there really isn't much lacking from the IQ of the camera unless you want to print billboards at 300dpi quality?
There are a ton of canon lenses for sure that works brilliantly on the a7r.

Like i said, the only thing going for the 5d3 is its AF system

If you are a studio and landscape shooter, AF wont mean too much and that is where this camera does the job.

Also it is easier to MF on an a7r then on the 5d3 due to the focus peaking feature seen on the EVF.

The A7r has far better DR, noise handling and detail due to the amount of MP it has.

This is coming from someone who actually owns and likes the 5d3 yet i am not stupid to think that the 5d3 has better IQ in variosu scenarios then my 5d3.

I put my 5d3 to its paces, i dont just shoot in good light/low contrast still life shots. i shoot in all kinds of conditions and lots i had to make do with the poor high ISO and DR range that my 5d3 provides.

Canon simply need to wake the f*** up and at least keep up to date with tech.

If the 5d4 comes out with same DR then i will grab an A7Rmk2 instead.

The 5d3 has better AF like you say, but it also has better detail at high iso (http://www.dpreview.com/articles/4613822764/high-iso-compared-sony-a7s-vs-a7r-vs-canon-eos-5d-iii).

The sony is better for landscape if you like big files. Again, I'm sure a lot of photographers have used the 5d3 to great effect.

The a7r has better dr in the files captured but, that does not relate to better dr in the output file - I sold the 5d3 and got a d750 because I thought it had better dr. I can always shoot with either camera in jpg (representing the file as captured) and no one will be able to tell the difference except for literal file size. The better dr isn't something that makes much difference unless you can't expose correctly or you need to tinker with shadows.

When the a7 came out I went to the london camera exchange shop and was advised that for focus speed, the metabones adapter to use canon lenses on sony, would be no good for weddings or events as there would be a delay in focus speed.

Forgot to ask before. Is the 5d3 capable of 1080p video at 60fps? Trying to read up on it now but getting mixed comments. If not how is it possible. I've seen a few videos done with the 5d3 at 1080p 60fps.

Also what cf cards do you lot use? I've only ever used sd cards.

Cheers.

Cavedweller, 5D3 shoots 720p at 60fps. At 1080p it has no slow motion capability, just 24/25/30.

Cavedweller, 5D3 shoots 720p at 60fps. At 1080p it has no slow motion capability, just 24/25/30.
Yup, my bad. The video I was watching for a start he was using a 1D for 1080p 60fps, it was only half way through he switched to a 5d3. Got mixed up.

I'm after a bit of advice on the 5d3: would any of you be able to share your impressions of the AF speed and accuracy of the 70d versus the 5d3, please?

Background to this is I have had a 70d for a short while (just sold) and a 6d. While I absolutely love the images I can get from the 6d, I really find its AF frustrating even for simple shots of my kids moving about outside on the garden, playing football etc. And while the IQ is tons better than the 70d, I loved that little camera just for its uber AF speed. Also loved its video capability, and am finding the 6D pretty awful in comparison.

I'm at the point now where I'm seriously considering selling the 6D to fund either a 5D3 if I can get an idea of how good the AF is, or going back to crop and getting the 7D mark 2.

Lenses I have are: 24-105L, 50mm f1.4 USM, 40mm f2.8 STM

LOL - I had an image printed on a large billboard from a 6mp Canon 300D, also had a similar image on a 7 storey high video billboard in Manchester. People get too hung up about minute technical aspects, it's the image produced that counts, not what kit you carry about.

I'm after a bit of advice on the 5d3: would any of you be able to share your impressions of the AF speed and accuracy of the 70d versus the 5d3, please?

Background to this is I have had a 70d for a short while (just sold) and a 6d. While I absolutely love the images I can get from the 6d, I really find its AF frustrating even for simple shots of my kids moving about outside on the garden, playing football etc. And while the IQ is tons better than the 70d, I loved that little camera just for its uber AF speed. Also loved its video capability, and am finding the 6D pretty awful in comparison.

I'm at the point now where I'm seriously considering selling the 6D to fund either a 5D3 if I can get an idea of how good the AF is, or going back to crop and getting the 7D mark 2.

Lenses I have are: 24-105L, 50mm f1.4 USM, 40mm f2.8 STM

dont know the 70D sorry, but I can tell you the 4-105 is brilliant on the 5D mk3, it's really suited as a walkabout/general purpose lens. On my 50D I found it a little long on the wide end.
I've had no issues shooting sunday morning rugby with the 5d mk3

No there is not.

Yeah, I'm sure photographers will love the great quality out of focus images that you'll get from the sony when you use it for anything moving faster than snails pace.

dont know the 70D sorry, but I can tell you the 4-105 is brilliant on the 5D mk3, it's really suited as a walkabout/general purpose lens. On my 50D I found it a little long on the wide end.
I've had no issues shooting sunday morning rugby with the 5d mk3

Thanks for that. Had another go with the 6D at my lad's football match today and got much better results, still didn't feel it was quite as good as the 70D though. Also found the 24-105 short on the long end, but pretty much perfect when the action came closer.

Think my normal favourite lens, the 50mm f1.4 was particularly bad when in AI Servo AF mode, the 24-105 much better and the 40mm f2.8 STM better still (though clearly no use at a football match!)

Decisions, decisions.

Last edited:
Where are you standing? Generally I stood within 10-15m of a corner flag either along the side or behind the goal, so my team were running towards me. 100-400 lens on one body, 24-105 on another for throw ins, corners, goal mouth action. Positioning and anticipation is everything ;)

Where are you standing? Generally I stood within 10-15m of a corner flag either along the side or behind the goal, so my team were running towards me. 100-400 lens on one body, 24-105 on another for throw ins, corners, goal mouth action. Positioning and anticipation is everything ;)

Now that's the thing, I'm really not a football fan so I tend to just stand midway down the sideline. No movement apart from collecting essential cups of tea!

Here's an image from the 5DIII taken earlier this afternoon.
image.png

Admittedly, I'm learning these sort of shots are more about the lighting than the camera gear, but the 5DIII did pretty darned well considering this is ISO 10000.
Oh - and access is a problem, it was a 5 hour round trip to get this photo - but right now I'm feeling pretty darned chuffed!

Back