Canon 5D MKIII official owners/users thread, anything related to the 5D MKIII

Stop worrying about the cases, set the camera up in AV or TV and nail your shots that way, read the manual on the cases if you need to figure them out.

The camera is more than capable for what you want to shoot, I've shot plenty motorsport and BIF with the 5d3

Help! I thought I knew my 5d3 until today when surfing images that should have been cracking were disappointing... Can anybody suggest

A- the Correct Autofocus settings for a shooting a surfer including the AF case they would use

B- Birds in flight including the AF case

I am sure someone will say get a 7D2 or 1DX but that's not an option!

Might be going to the Farne Islands tomorrow so PLEASE someone out there put me out of my misery.
Put it all af points enabled and set the middle as the starting point

Help! I thought I knew my 5d3 until today when surfing images that should have been cracking were disappointing... Can anybody suggest

A- the Correct Autofocus settings for a shooting a surfer including the AF case they would use

Might be going to the Farne Islands tomorrow so PLEASE someone out there put me out of my misery.

Have a read too :)

http://cpn.canon-europe.com/files/p..._iii/EOS_5D_Mark_III_AF_setting_guidebook.pdf

Hi guys. I have read that and the 5d3 field guide. My sports shots have been fine. Today they weren't and I couldn't figure out why.:eek: I have been reading the manual for some while now and it is not helping me get it clear in my head.... I have also read contradictory advice about setting the first and second image priority and was hoping that someone would spell it out for me rather than tell me to read the book!! But thanks for chipping in...
Thanks Arthur... I have downloaded that guide and will look at that too.
Thanks Jonny Mendoza... Will try all 61 points. What would you suggest about the image priority in AF2 menu? Thanks ;)

Last edited:
Hi guys. I have read that and the 5d3 field guide. My sports shots have been fine. Today they weren't and I couldn't figure out why.:eek: I have been reading the manual for some while now and it is not helping me get it clear in my head.... I have also read contradictory advice about setting the first and second image priority and was hoping that someone would spell it out for me rather than tell me to read the book!! But thanks for chipping in...
Thanks Arthur... I have downloaded that guide and will look at that too.
Thanks Jonny Mendoza... Will try all 61 points. What would you suggest about the image priority in AF2 menu? Thanks ;)
Try case 2, ai servo, ctr point focus, with extra/outer focus points turned on. Seems to work for me.
Cheers Steve.

I can tell you that I found playing with the settings made a heck of a different shooting Puffins in flight with the long end of a 100-400.
Well worth playing with the options.
Don't think I found the ideal settings, so will be watching replies with interest.

first and second image priority

In short that guide explains it very well, does the camera re focus and take the second shot or does the camera just take the shot even if focus has now changed, i.e second shot would be taken out of focus if subject has moved. The 5D3 focus system is complex, however you can just pic a mode and let the pre sets do the best it can, tbh my 5D3 seems to be able to read my mind! But then I normally shoot with centre point AF on AI Servo, BUT I use back button focus! (press BBF once to focus - recompose and shoot or BBF track subject and shoot) I also have my DOF preview set as group (centre point AF with assisted outer AF) so I can hold down DOF should the action change or become manic and I need more focus points in an instant.

I would go for Case 2 with either a single point if you're confident in your ability to keep it on the bird/surfer. If not then I would use the expanded AF points. I tend to use the centre plus the 4 outside. Case 2 will give you a bit of time to get back on the subject if you drift off before it tries to refocus.

I would set First shot to AF priority. 2nd shot to equal priority between focus and speed. That's what I generally use.

I don't think that all 61 points active is necessarily the right way to go. Perhaps if the background is nice and clean but in my experience it can be a bit hit and miss with all active.

Thanks guys.. Will give them a try although our cousin tells us it is chucking it down at Seahouses this morning. Fingers crossed. :clap:

The all day trips out to the far islands - Staple - are now finished. The simple reason is that the breeding season is over and the birds have gone. I believe you can still get on to Inner Farne which is full of dive bombing terns in the breeding season but they too have gone. There will be plenty to see and Billy Shiel 's trips do go close into the cliffs but the mad frantic activity of the breeding season is over for this year.

Still worth a trip out. Combine the islands trip with a visit to lindisfarne. A nice part of the country.

Hi there. Well we had a nice visit to Inner Farne, very choppy. I knew the crowds of birds has gone but it did give me the chance to shoot some of the seabirds and given that it was my first attempt at birds in flight, I think it went ok. Standing still was quite a challenge so I was not expecting pin sharp as I was also hand holding. When I get a lens on a tripod with the Wimberkey head I just bought, I think I have the way forward. I tried case 5' then case 2 and then case 5 as I had nothing that worked with case 2. 1st image focus and 2nd image half way between the two. So hooray! Maybe a faster shutter speed next time. So thanks for your ideas, guys...o and I think the expansion thing with 9 active focus points or thereabouts.

I recieved my 5D mkiii last week and happy is a word that barely describes my feelings. I have played with it over a week and have done a little street and general photography. Amazing camera, I don't know if I deserve it. I bought the Canon 24-70mm F/4 L IS USM as a walkabout lens to go with it.

Great combo KAS, sure you deserve it, look after it and it will look after you, absolute awesome camera.

Reactions: KAS
5DIII did me proud last night!
I was bridged across the rift with a sizeable drop underneath and my 'model' passed my camera up to me before getting into position.
Shot using Tv set to the slowest shutter speed I thought I could get away with handheld at 15mm.
Base exposure is ISO 2000 and it was bracketed five stops. This image is a composite.
Lighting was courtesy of two flood lights about ten feet below the camera (which were about 15ft above the bottom of the rift), a DSLR video light high in the roof and another DSLR video light behind the 'model' pointed straight at the camera.
The rift has a kink in it below the floodlights and lights placed lower didn't penetrate very far - hence needed to be quite high up to get the lighting....
Had a bit of a moment when the 'model' slipped and fell several feet before catching himself; blimmin close call and my stomach still churns slightly thinking about the consequences of either of us getting injured in there.
Anyway - here's the image :)
20150915-193942-I39A3266-Merged-L.jpg

Woohoo! Just today sold my old 7D and have ordered a 5D3 as a better companion to my 7D2. Looking forward to the high ISO and full frame goodness [emoji3][emoji3][emoji3]

Woohoo! Just today sold my old 7D and have ordered a 5D3 as a better companion to my 7D2. Looking forward to the high ISO and full frame goodness [emoji3][emoji3][emoji3]

Congrats but I'd wager, good though the 7D2 is, you won't want to use it much after the 5D3 :)

but I'd wager, good though the 7D2 is, you won't want to use it much after the 5D3 :)

I recently got a 5D3 to pair with a 7D2 and didn't get on with it at all, sold it after a week, for me the 7D2 was far superior than the 5D3 in my opinion for my line I work anyways along with other bodies I own I wasn't too happy with the 5D3, it's a great camera don't get me wrong but for some the 7D2 will be as good if not better for their uses.

I recently got a 5D3 to pair with a 7D2 and didn't get on with it at all, sold it after a week, for me the 7D2 was far superior than the 5D3 in my opinion for my line I work anyways along with other bodies I own I wasn't too happy with the 5D3, it's a great camera don't get me wrong but for some the 7D2 will be as good if not better for their uses.

You still got your 1DX Joe.

Congrats but I'd wager, good though the 7D2 is, you won't want to use it much after the 5D3 :)

I do wildlife for fun and dogs for profit, so I plan the continue using the 7D2 for fast moving dogs, BIF and when I need the reach, and use the 5D3 for dog portraits and lower light wildlife, plus the odd wedding I seem to get talked into occasionally.

You still got your 1DX Joe.

Still here yep pal along with a 1Ds III I have aswell, highly considering getting rid of the X soon I must say to be honest with you mate and off loading a good few lenses aswell as Uni is less than 12 months away and as I'm most likely (hopefully aswell) going to Amsterdam or Den Haag (Just finishing the application this week) which I real could do with a nice float of cash with me to support costs to keep things stable for a year instead of buying loads of gear from savings I get from work, Just need to justify the needs of all the gear as the 1Ds III covers the landscape well and 7D2 covers the wildlife well, I hoped the 5D3 would fit the 1Ds III shoes for me but it really didn't, I wouldn't sell these two as they financial aren't worth selling as they wouldn't raise enough funds and would hate to limit myself to one body where as the 1Dx still has a good price tag which would be ideal for me before the 1DX replacement comes out anyway's, I think needs must at the moment and as you can see the 7D II plays a major part with my style of work with the 1.6x crop so a downsize in kit you might say is a well needed option I may have to take for the next few years.

I have the same Joe but I use them for different types of photography. The 7D2 I find is best for wildlife photography whereas the 5D3 is best for landscape, street etc. I love both cameras and have never regretted purchasing either. I like your work Joe.

I have the same Joe but I use them for different types of photography. The 7D2 I find is best for wildlife photography whereas the 5D3 is best for landscape, street etc. I love both cameras and have never regretted purchasing either. I like your work Joe.

Completely agree with you there pal, also thanks for the kind words about my work!

Sooooooo .... I'm still with a 5Dii. I take mostly landscape and cityscape shots with it, and I also have a 7D as a "backup" camera should the need arise to take sports or nature.

Based on that, how many of you that went from 5Dii to 5Diii think that it is a worthwhile exercise, and why?

Sooooooo .... I'm still with a 5Dii. I take mostly landscape and cityscape shots with it, and I also have a 7D as a "backup" camera should the need arise to take sports or nature.

Based on that, how many of you that went from 5Dii to 5Diii think that it is a worthwhile exercise, and why?

Use to own a 5D II a while back, if you mostly do Landscapes and Cityscape using low ISO in my opinion there is no point upgrading at all in my opinion, the higher ISO benefits and faster AF you won't be using at all and both cameras produce pretty much the same IQ.

Use to own a 5D II a while back, if you mostly do Landscapes and Cityscape using low ISO in my opinion there is no point upgrading at all in my opinion, the higher ISO benefits and faster AF you won't be using at all and both cameras produce pretty much the same IQ.
I still own both....
When I use my 5D2 it is like using an old mobile phone - yes it does the job - but the 5D3 has far better handling and just 'feels right'.
When I got the 5D3 I didn't expect it to feel so different and for me to prefer the 5D3 so much, but in actual use it does and I do....
Will I upgrade when the 5D4 comes out - that depends... The 5D3 does so much right it is going to take something special to persuade me I need a change.

There is 5Ds/5DsR if you want low ISO with superior quality then, what will be that 5D4 different than?
I keep feeling that i am not lucky that i never get 5D3 to use, so i feel like i am not a Canon shooter when most are with 5D3 or even 5D2 and 7D/7D2, so i hope in the future i can keep on track with Canon gear so i don't feel like i am left behind with members.

what will be that 5D4 different than?
Should be the follower of the 5D3, the 5Ds/r aren't. They are special devices for people who need very high resolution for eg. very large prints or want to shoot everything with a single wide angle lens and will crop out, what they need. ;)

Last edited:
So, varying views then .... I can see what JoeTurner means, but then duncandisorderly indicates theres quite a difference. Still undecided :)

Duncandiorderly is right about the feel etc of the camera being better along with the button lay out etc, but your most likely not going to need to be able to change settings really quickly with your line of work indicated, what it boils down to is will the 5D3 produce better images for what you shoot? And I think the answer to that would be a no from me anyway if I shot what you do...

I've got a 7D and 7D2 and am seriously looking at replacing the 7D with a 5D3. The only issue is lenses that I can use with the 5D3, only one, which is never off the 7D2.

I have had 3x 5DII and 2x5DIII I owned two 5DIIs before I got a couple 5D3s.

Going up to the mark III was a big difference. Massive amounts of change. Far superior in way or settings and focusing.

I used a 5D2 one night when I didn't have my cameras with me and found it horrible to use after using the 5D3.

I sold the 5D3s and went a while without cameras until I picked up a 1DIV. Then I decided to get a full frame to go with it.

I got another 5D2 recently and have loved having it. I don't miss the 5D3 as the image quality is pretty much on par. Ok so it's better in low light and it's better for focusing but my 1D does that better than either.

I personally enjoyed the upgrade. Was it worth it? Probably not according to image quality. But with all the other stuff it had over the mark 2 I'd buy another one. Especially with grey market prices as low as £1500 for a new one.

so guys this or a 5dsr for studio (speedlite/naturl light) ? I m undecided not a lot of price difference looking around high iso doesn't really matter that much as wont go above iso 1600

I've got a 7D and 7D2 and am seriously looking at replacing the 7D with a 5D3. The only issue is lenses that I can use with the 5D3, only one, which is never off the 7D2.

My set up is the 7D2 and 5D3 but realised early on the mismatch between EF and EF-s. My biggst worry was damaging the 5D3 with the EF-s, so I bit the bullet and sold the EF-s lenses. The EF is a superior lens anyway.

so guys this or a 5dsr for studio (speedlite/naturl light) ? I m undecided not a lot of price difference looking around high iso doesn't really matter that much as wont go above iso 1600

I had the same decision recently and plumbed for e 5D3, I couldn't see what would gain apart from pixels and a very unforgiven camera. I'm told the the right hands and for very big enlargements the 5dsr is excellent.

My 5D3 arrives today [emoji3][emoji3]. I am in a good situation lens-wise as my only EF-S lens is a Tamron 17-50 f2.8 which is probably my least used lens.

Duncandiorderly is right about the feel etc of the camera being better along with the button lay out etc, but your most likely not going to need to be able to change settings really quickly with your line of work indicated, what it boils down to is will the 5D3 produce better images for what you shoot? And I think the answer to that would be a no from me anyway if I shot what you do...

Don't shoot much sport anymore but I used to shoot lots and switched from crop to a 5D mk3 for the studio work I was mostly doing at the time.
I thought I'd miss the reach but the ability to autofocus to f8 meant I could add a 1.4tc to my 100-400 if required without any issues. The 5D loved my 70-200 f2.8is, just really crisp images that had a certain something over the previous body.

End of the day, it's the image that's important, not the kit. The kit is just an enabler, so if you find one setup that works for you and produces the images, then thats the correct setup for you.

Last edited:
My set up is the 7D2 and 5D3 but realised early on the mismatch between EF and EF-s. My biggst worry was damaging the 5D3 with the EF-s, so I bit the bullet and sold the EF-s lenses. The EF is a superior lens anyway.

I have ef-s 10-22 and 15-85 and ef 100-400 Mk2. The 100-400 is rarely off my 7D2 and I use it for wildlife and distant shots of lighthouses. The 10-22 is almost unused so the issue is the 15-85 (which is a lens I love), as I am not a fan of the ef 24-105 (had two) which is Canons full frame equivalent. Sometimes I could use the 100-400, with or without extender, on the 5D3 and the 15-85 on my 7D2 (I often carry two bodies at the same time) but inevitably the 100-400 will be on the 7D2 and I won't have a shorter zoom for the 5D3. What to do?!

Last edited:
Back