Canon 5D MKIII official owners/users thread, anything related to the 5D MKIII

EF-S 10-22 is a cracking lens, but I replaced it with the Samyung 14mm for the 5D mk3. Under 300 pounds, distortion is sorted with a profile in Lightroom.

I agree with you on the EF-S 15-85, bought one for my sons 600D and it's a brilliant walkabout lens for a crop. My 24-105 was always a little long on the wide end on a crop, however is perfect on the 5D mk3. I don't have an issue with mine, it's my most used lens. I passed on my EF-S lenses to my son when I went full frame.

For sport (sunday morning football and rugby) I'd have two bodies, either 100-400 or 70-200 (depending on position) on one (generally the 5dmk3) and the 24-105 on the other for closer stuff (50D or the 600D), however I was shooting a good mix of sport and studio at the time, so the two formats made sense. Now I've stopped sport I just use the 5D all the time.

I now have Samyung 14mm, Canon 24-105, Canon 50mm f1.4, 70-200 f2.8 IS and 100-400, plus both 1.4 and 2x tc. Seems to cover me for most stuff.

I agree with you on the EF-S 15-85, bought one for my sons 600D and it's a brilliant walkabout lens for a crop. My 24-105 was always a little long on the wide end on a crop, however is perfect on the 5D mk3. I don't have an issue with mine, it's my most used lens.

I can't even tell you what it is about the 24-105 that I don't like, but I've had two (one on a crop body and one on a 6D) and in both cases they were replaced by 15-85's. The only alternatives Canon have are the 24-70 f2.8/f4 but obviously you lose a lot of reach with them.

When I looked the 24-70 gives you f2.8, no IS and about a third heavier plus the lens rotated as you zoomed which made it a pain with a circular polariser. Its a great lens but as a walkabout the 24-105 worked for me. Mines always been a good copy but they're a very marmite lens. I like the f4 thoughout and with the IS I've handheld down to 1/4 sec shooting at 125K ISO (h2) at night.

EF-s 15-85 gives about as good results on our 600D, really like that lens. just a shame it's f3.5-5.6 although you work around it.

Although my 24-105 IS rarely off my 5d3 I still think my very old efs 17-55 is a much better lens. It's the reason I kept my 60d.

I have ef-s 10-22 and 15-85 and ef 100-400 Mk2. The 100-400 is rarely off my 7D2 and I use it for wildlife and distant shots of lighthouses. The 10-22 is almost unused so the issue is the 15-85 (which is a lens I love), as I am not a fan of the ef 24-105 (had two) which is Canons full frame equivalent. Sometimes I could use the 100-400, with or without extender, on the 5D3 and the 15-85 on my 7D2 (I often carry two bodies at the same time) but inevitably the 100-400 will be on the 7D2 and I won't have a shorter zoom for the 5D3. What to do?!

I have a similiar range. I had 100-400 mk1 bought new and I sold it and bought the Sigma 150-600mm (C) that remains on the 7D2. I have the nifty fifty, 100mm Macro IS and I agree with you about 24-104 and I plumbed for the Canon EF 24-70mm F/4 L IS USM as my walkabout. I would like an extra wide lens for landscrape but that will wait. Everything I shoot is covered but like all photographers I could always use another lens but how much would I use it is the question.

I think I'm airing on the side of getting a 5d mk 3 and using the money I would save on the 5dsr to get a a7 s for video as planning to do a bit of videography next year cheers guys :)

It arrived at 1700, and I have been setting it up and having a bit of a play. Looking good so far [emoji3].

I am roughly mirroring the set-up on my 7D2 so I can use both instinctively, but one thing is defeating me. Is it possible to set it up so that you can change exposure compensation when the dial on the back is locked, by turning the wheel on the top whilst pressing the Set button? I use this a lot on my 7D2 and it will take lots of getting used to if I can't do the same.

cant do it to my knowledge although someone with more experience of mk3 might be able to help??

I can't even tell you what it is about the 24-105 that I don't like, but I've had two (one on a crop body and one on a 6D) and in both cases they were replaced by 15-85's. The only alternatives Canon have are the 24-70 f2.8/f4 but obviously you lose a lot of reach with them.

Bit the bullet and just ordered 5D3/24-70f4 kit. :banana: Now I'm having a :beer:to toast my purchase. :)

Reactions: KAS
I don't think you can :/

I will have to find a way round that. I loved the camera trying it out this morning, but I change exposure compensation a great deal, and having to unlock it for almost every shot was a real pain.

I will have to find a way round that. I loved the camera trying it out this morning, but I change exposure compensation a great deal, and having to unlock it for almost every shot was a real pain.

Pretty sure you can't sadly, thats one of the 7D2's perks as it is the most customisable camera in terms of settings and button variation that Canon produce, even more so that the 1Dx. That saying its another feature for the 5DIV to have I guess...

Pretty sure you can't sadly, thats one of the 7D2's perks as it is the most customisable camera in terms of settings and button variation that Canon produce, even more so that the 1Dx. That saying its another feature for the 5DIV to have I guess...

Thanks Joe, and grrr. Mind you, I only got into the habit of keeping the camera locked as I found the dials kept getting knocked on the 7D2 whereas they never did on the 7D. I will have to try the 5D3 unlocked and see how I get on.

I've kept and use my 5d3 for sports but my Sony A7rii beats it in other ways. For me the A7rii and 5d3 is a real dream combo!

Bit the bullet and just ordered 5D3/24-70f4 kit. :banana: Now I'm having a :beer:to toast my purchase. :)

Was out late afternoon today to try the 5D3/24-70 combo in low light and found I really missed the length of the 15-85 on my 7D2. Might have to get a 70-200 even though I have a 100-400 Mk2.

That's the immediate issue I think we all face when moving to FF. It does go away once you get used to everything feeling 'shorter', promise. ;)

I am interested to hear more about this comment and how they work so well together. Please do tell :)
It's a dream combo. When I am travelling I just take my A7r2 and when I'm doing sports o use the the 5D3. I use it also for paid gigs because I am not fully in sync with the A7R2 and still getting use to it

I used Hdew for my 5Diii, too. Great service.
I've also used Panamoz (before their hiatus!) and had no problems - even took advantage of their discount for paying by Bank Transfer.

Back