Canon 5D MKIII official owners/users thread, anything related to the 5D MKIII

Then think again ;-)

:) Like you say a Wired one be better since be working from behind.. Sometime I think it might not be needed as I always press the 2 sec shutter when I do landscape

Yeah, I must admit I don't use them much. The wireless one was brought for my 60D as it works well when asking selfs portraits etc. That and the foldout screen work well together.
I've also got a wired one for the 60D as I started going out at night with a tripod and to worked much better, but then so did the timer so I stopped using it.
When I got my 5D I just got another out of habit. I tend to use that more at home than out and about. Then again since getting the 5D most of my night shots have been hand held.

Send us one of your spare as a freebie ;) ha ha

There are MANY things I want to buy but where do i start I dont know. This 5D MKIII is a beauty to work with and it made me get into photography even more than ever.

You know what, I used to thing it is best to stay behind the camera.

But since getting a wireless IR a bit back I have taken a new pleasure. Line the shot up, get everything looking good, and the shot ready. Do the camera stuff from behind the camera

Then, and this is really important...

Stand up, stand next to the camera. Take in the scene you are photographing. Enjoy the beauty yourself as you fire the shutter. It's really rather theraputic. Makes the photo that little more special (moreso if you get it right :) ) because you actually remember the view properly rather than just taking the photograph.

Oh, and had the despatch note for my 5DIII

I really really hope royal mail do their thang and it arrives tomorrow morning...

You know what, I used to thing it is best to stay behind the camera.

But since getting a wireless IR a bit back I have taken a new pleasure. Line the shot up, get everything looking good, and the shot ready. Do the camera stuff from behind the camera

Then, and this is really important...

Stand up, stand next to the camera. Take in the scene you are photographing. Enjoy the beauty yourself as you fire the shutter. It's really rather theraputic. Makes the photo that little more special (moreso if you get it right :) ) because you actually remember the view properly rather than just taking the photograph.

:agree:

That's good advice! (y)

Send us one of your spare as a freebie ;) ha ha

There are MANY things I want to buy but where do i start I dont know. This 5D MKIII is a beauty to work with and it made me get into photography even more than ever.

I've only got one of each, otherwise I'd happily let you have one.

I know what you mean about boosting enthusiasm. I was all set with my 60D and lenses, I thought that was it for a good few years, but along came the 5D and it was like starting all over again.

dubcat said:
I have started using the DoF button to temporarily go from one shot mode to AI Servo mode now too. It's a fantastic feature and with a bit of practice it becomes second nature to hold the button down. Thanks for the tip guys!

I always shoot servio so not that concerned about this feature hehe

Mmmm full frame goodness is upon me. 5D3 + 24-70L
In love... yes.

I ordered my 5d the other day. Would have loved the 24-70mm lens but couldn't justify the price. Got the 24-105mm instead. Hopefully it'll be here next week. It's been a few years since I sold my 40d so it'll take me a bit to get back into it. Can't wait!

Oh crap, ordered my new telephoto but am working offshore so will not be able to pick it up from teh office for a week!!!

Sorry for the double post but just a heads up for the pocket wizard flex and mini system users. if you didn't know already,( its been out a while), the long awaited full firmware update for the 5d3 is live and working a treat... Enjoy

I ordered my 5d the other day. Would have loved the 24-70mm lens but couldn't justify the price. Got the 24-105mm instead. Hopefully it'll be here next week. It's been a few years since I sold my 40d so it'll take me a bit to get back into it. Can't wait!

I got lucky and picked up a mint used one for a good price :)

OK folks, got a question and a quick search has yielded no results...

I'm planning on sticking a 16Gb SD card in the slot on a permanent basis, for use as an overflow primarily, but have questions.

1. I'm aware the slot has a limited write speed, so what card would folk recommend I go for which won't limit write speed, but isn't overkill
2. Depending what I read, some folk are saying that even having a card in the slot slows the write speed to CF down. Now this seems a bit silly to me, has anyone experienced this? Or is it a case that writing to both slows things down?

Ta!

Having the card in the slot but not writing to it wont affect the camera speed at all. Its only if you are writing to it.
I'd say go for a pretty high speed card, as although the camera wont make full use of it the speed can make a big difference when copying the files to your computer.

Sorry for the double post but just a heads up for the pocket wizard flex and mini system users. if you didn't know already,( its been out a while), the long awaited full firmware update for the 5d3 is live and working a treat... Enjoy

Thanks for the update not had my PW's out for a while just updated them
(y)

Having the card in the slot but not writing to it wont affect the camera speed at all. Its only if you are writing to it.
I'd say go for a pretty high speed card, as although the camera wont make full use of it the speed can make a big difference when copying the files to your computer.

Cheers (y)
I reckon a sandisk ultra should do it then - 30mb/s
The less I spend the better, can't see me writing much to it if I continue to manage memory effectively.

...I reckon a sandisk ultra should do it then - 30mb/s...

That's what I have in mine... To be honest, I use it as rarely as possible 'cos it's so bloody slow to clear the buffer! Best advice I can give is to use the best quality 16gb CF cards you can find and only use the SD card as an emergency 'last resort' option. :)

That's what I have in mine... To be honest, I use it as rarely as possible 'cos it's so bloody slow to clear the buffer! Best advice I can give is to use the best quality 16gb CF cards you can find and only use the SD card as an emergency 'last resort' option. :)

Yeah, same here although I find the standard SD card works fine for my needs, about £14 from Amazon. It's still a class 10, speed is 45MB/s.

Just a tip, if you set the CF card as the default slot and take the card out to download the shots keep the camera door open, otherwise the camera will set the SD card as the default slot. A bit of a pain if you do close the door and forget to change them back.

Last edited:
dave_bass5 said:
Yeah, same here although I find the standard SD card works fine for my needs, about £14 from Amazon. It's still a class 10, speed is 45MB/s.

Just a tip, if you set the CF card as the default slot and take the card out to download the shots keep the camera door open, otherwise the camera will set the SD card as the default slot. A bit of a pain if you do close the door and forget to change them back.

Here's a question to throw into the pot:
If the two cards are of different capacities and multiple cards are selected, with raw on one and jpegs on the other, what happens when one card is full ?

This becomes more significant when chimping and deleting unwanted frames. If the SDcard is selected then the frame will only be deleted from that card and not the CF. This was also an issue on the MK4 and 1DX

Last edited:
thanks for the info tug - and dave, thanks for the info on leaving the camera door open.

these were slightly bugging me

Last edited:
Here's a question to throw into the pot:
If the two cards are of different capacities and multiple cards are selected, with raw on one and jpegs on the other, what happens when one card is full ?

When one card is full it just says "Card1 full" or "Card2 full" and you either change the full card or select to use other card slot only. :)

Edit - should add that even with same size cards you are less unlikely to fill up the cards at same rate if you shoot JPEG and RAW. 8GB card is ~1k JPEGs or 250 RAW files. :)

Last edited:
Hi,

Something I Noticed Today When Using Back Button Focus.

In Settings on Camera I have AF Point Display Enabled.

When Focussed and Shooting with Thumb on the (AF on) Button the Red Square shows in Preview.

When Focussed and Shooting with Thumb off the AF Button it does Not.

Anybody Know Why??, Am I doing Something Wrong, Or is this the Way it Should be,

Regards.

Last edited:
Are you saying the AF point doesn't stay lit? If so that how its supposed to be.

There are various settings for how and when the AF point is displayed but none for keeping it lit.

I will have another look at the settings on the camera.

What I'm trying to say though not well enough, is when using central Focus point a Red square remains on the Preview Screen to show what you Focussed on when finger was kept on AF button, but not when finger taken off.

Regards.

I will have another look at the settings on the camera.

What I'm trying to say though not well enough, is when using central Focus point a Red square remains on the Preview Screen to show what you Focussed on when finger was kept on AF button, but not when finger taken off.

Regards.

Ah, so on playback, not at the time of taking the shot.
It sounds like you may have AI Servo on somewhere, this wont show the red box.

EDIT. scratch that, i just tried it and the box does show in AI Servo so its not that.

Last edited:
When Focussed and Shooting with Thumb off the AF Button it does Not.

Just A thought. I can reproduce what you are experiencing but having the shutter button doing metering only, not AF.
Could this be the problem?
Im guessing we dont get the AF point on review because AF wasn't achieved for that shot, according to the camera. With AF still working on the shutter button the camera is still doing AF and so can show which AF point was used.

Thats the only thing i can think of that i can reproduce on mine.

Last edited:
Just A thought. I can reproduce what you are experiencing but having the shutter button doing metering only, not AF.
Could this be the problem?
Im guessing we dont get the AF point on review because AF wasn't achieved for that shot, according to the camera. With AF still working on the shutter button the camera is still doing AF and so can show which AF point was used.

Thats the only thing i can think of that i can reproduce on mine.

Someone managed to give me an Explantion for this, thanks for the Replies.

Regards.

Last edited:
Back