Canon 5D MKIII official owners/users thread, anything related to the 5D MKIII

I think thats what it is set to, but i want it to write to the cf card first, not the sd card, is there a way to change the order of writing?

Yeah, its in the same menu. Change the record/play to 1 if its showing 2 at the moment. when 1 sets full it will switch to 2.
Its all in the manual ;-)

This has probably been asked throughout this thread a million times now :)
What SD card are you guys using in regards to decent writing speed?

I think thats what it is set to, but i want it to write to the cf card first, not the sd card, is there a way to change the order of writing?

One other thing to watch out for. If you take the CF out and close the camera door (with a SD card in it) the camera will set the SD card as the default card, even after putting the CF card back in.
The only way i know of to get around this is to leave the door open during this time. Even turning it off doesn't seem to matter.

James. I just us a 45MB/s Scandisk card.Although i dont write much to it i prefer to have something fast for when i do upload to my PC.

One other thing to watch out for. If you take the CF out and close the camera door (with a SD card in it) the camera will set the SD card as the default card, even after putting the CF card back in.
The only way i know of to get around this is to leave the door open during this time. Even turning it off doesn't seem to matter.

James. I just us a 45MB/s Scandisk card.Although i dont write much to it i prefer to have something fast for when i do upload to my PC.

Ahhh, cheers Dave, i always shut the door when i take the cf card out to read from it. That would explain a lot.(y)

I've been having CF/ SD card switch issues too.

But this explains it, thank you :)

Love that wedding shot, a friend of ours gets married next week I'm going to take my camera for a day trip out :)

Ahhh, cheers Dave, i always shut the door when i take the cf card out to read from it. That would explain a lot.(y)

A little tangential, but whenever I remove a card from any camera I always leave the door open. That way I am always reminded of the absent card when I return to the camera and don't suffer the risk of leaving home cardless. Same thing with charging batteries - if the battery is being charged I leave the battery door open.

A little tangential, but whenever I remove a card from any camera I always leave the door open. That way I am always reminded of the absent card when I return to the camera and don't suffer the risk of leaving home cardless.

And this is why i always have the SD card in the camera, as i have on a couple of occasions left the CF card in the card reader.

A little tangential, but whenever I remove a card from any camera I always leave the door open. That way I am always reminded of the absent card when I return to the camera and don't suffer the risk of leaving home cardless. Same thing with charging batteries - if the battery is being charged I leave the battery door open.

Same here. Learned the hard way years ago!

That's an interesting point of view. I always close the doors as I don't want to risk catching them and breaking them off!

On Wednesday I forgot the LP-E6 battery tray so I had to remove the grip and just use the in camera battery. Lucky that the Canon grip holds the battery cover.

Then yesterday I forgot my monopod...so I was shooting the 400mm handheld...

Both times because I changed my prep routine... Big lesson learned...stick to routines....lol

That's an interesting point of view. I always close the doors as I don't want to risk catching them and breaking them off!
Pretty much always these operations take place in the (unused) dining room, so the camera is left perfectly safe on the dining room table where it will remain untouched until I go back to attend to it.

Same here. I'm far too OCD to leave door compartments open :D
I transfer mine straight to PC anyway so I've no need to take the card out.

Same here. I'm far too OCD to leave door compartments open :D
I transfer mine straight to PC anyway so I've no need to take the card out.

That of course works for many people its very slow compared to USB3.
From the camera I get around 15-20MB/s, using my USB3 card reader I'm getting close to 70MB/s. For me that's worth the risk.

Just about to purchase MK III and heard that from 14th April Canon USA are reducing prices on this model, anyone know any ruhmors for UK?

Yeah but worth waiting a couple of weeks if there is possible a price reduction. Just wondering if anyone heard anything about UK price reductions?

Yeah but worth waiting a couple of weeks if there is possible a price reduction. Just wondering if anyone heard anything about UK price reductions?

Hmmm. A significant firmware update and a drop in price all in one month.
I'd be very surprised but you never know?
Especially with the current spring cashback offering £160 off as it is.

Go and buy one - they're worth every penny ;)

YN622C wireless triggers

I think we have talked about these briefly already, but yes, I've got a set and love them.
Coming from a 60D I missed not having off camera flash, so these were ideal as they are cheap and do more than enough for what I want to do.

I had my first play with a Fisheye lens today. It belongs to a mate and although he uses it quite a bit I've never thought it "interesting" enough to pay much attention to it.

I've got it for a few days and I'm loving it already. I might even take it to the wedding next month.
This is one of the first shots I took with it. Nothing planned, I didn't even think it would work but I really like the effect.

Sam in fish eye at Bernie Spain Gardens by dave_bass5, on Flickr

Always fancied an 8-15 f4.
Don't think I have enough imagination in the long run to justify owning one though?

Having said that - it'd look nice sat next to my 14mm II. Just for the sake of it :D

Last edited:
Don't think I have enough imagination in the long run to justify owning one though :D

The guy that owns the Sigma is selling it to get the 8-15mm. Im sort of tempted but i too don't think ill use it to its full potential. Its a nice lens but still more of a novelty for me that i know will wear off.

Hopefully buying my mark III in just under 2 weeks!! Very excited. I've wanted a full frame DSLR for about 8 years now! haha

I had lots of 'fun' with my 5D MK III at Thursday's wedding... when I say 'fun' what I actually mean is it getting jammed at ISO 400 in auto ISO mode before having a rather spectacular case of jamming in some sort of manual focus mode before completely dying!

Luckily I had the 7D as backup, and later I removed the battery and put it back in and the MK III worked fine again.

Not exactly what you want to happen mid wedding, and a real warning to those shooting weddings with only one body. I had my 7D die mid wedding when I got that a year ago so it's the 2nd time I've experienced what could potentially go wrong, and luckily I've had a back up both times.

Luckily I had the 7D as backup, and later I removed the battery and put it back in and the MK III worked fine again.

Not exactly what you want to happen mid wedding, and a real warning to those shooting weddings with only one body. I had my 7D die mid wedding when I got that a year ago so it's the 2nd time I've experienced what could potentially go wrong, and luckily I've had a back up both times.

Great advice !!

I had lots of 'fun' with my 5D MK III at Thursday's wedding... when I say 'fun' what I actually mean is it getting jammed at ISO 400 in auto ISO mode before having a rather spectacular case of jamming in some sort of manual focus mode before completely dying!

Blimey, that sounds like a nightmare. Hopefully the camera is ok and it was just a one off.

One of the reasons i got rid of my Tamron was because it locked my camera up a couple of times. The camera lot communication with the lens. While i dont tend to shoot much that is critical i didn't want to risk using it when i am.
I dont suppose the ISO thing was to do with using flash was it?

Don't think I have enough imagination in the long run to justify owning one though?

Having said that - it'd look nice sat next to my 14mm II. Just for the sake of it :D

I had a play with an 8-15 when they first came out, a friend brought one on a shoot. It was fun but I couldn't see myself using it enough.

Back