Canon 5D MKIII official owners/users thread, anything related to the 5D MKIII

I've not really flexed the AF too much on live music yet, in fact I might give the 9 points method you set a go.

I set mine to only display cross type points and am quite happy with the results from the edge points. Still using one shot, but for brighter shows I'm going to have a play with servo as well.

Also a little nervous about trying too much at once...

I just got confirmed for a gig Thursday so time to put theory to the test I suppose.

So apart from the adjusting of sea exposure you mentioned is everything else as it was processed straight out of camera?

I've been trying to upload the SOOC shot, but for some reason Lightroom keeps crashing with this image. It was problematic when I was processing it. I'm fairly new to Lightroom. I only used the one adjustment brush to lower the exposure for the sea and sky, but there were very many brush strokes.

The other processing that had been done, was increasing the clarity for the whole image, and adding a very slight vignette. There was no extra sharpening.

Looks pretty damn good I think. Nice and natural too :)
I was expecting it to be rather gimmicky and nowhere near that standard to be honest.

Can you remember how many exposures the shot consisted of?

Looks pretty damn good I think. Nice and natural too :)
I was expecting it to be rather gimmicky and nowhere near that standard to be honest.

Can you remember how many exposures the shot consisted of?

It just takes 3 shots, but you can change the +- EV, as per bracketing - not that I've used that much either!

I've now uploaded the SOOC version. I think the little bit of processing I did, made quite a difference. Using the adjustment brush actually took ages, as I tried not to reduce the exposure on the trees.

Must admit the processed one is (obviously) better,but the sooc version is still a lot better than I was expecting to be honest.
I'll have to experiment when I finally get out with mine to see what I can come up with...
Thanks again for posting the shots Bebop. ;

Must admit the processed one is (obviously) better,but the sooc version is still a lot better than I was expecting to be honest.
I'll have to experiment when I finally get out with mine to see what I can come up with...
Thanks again for posting the shots Bebop. ;

You're welcome :) This was just a bit of experimentation, but I was pleased with the outcome. I have lots to learn!

Anyone have any idea if using procamerashop - Doing their BACS service if its safe? other than using a credit card etc? atm hdew has the advantage with the 3 years warranty.

Hi,

I am looking for some help before purchasing.

I have some manual focus lenses which I can use a converter for (Zeiss, Nikon and Leica R) and I have ordered a converter with chip which says it works with the Mark3.

I tried a 7D and on that I can semi-focus; compose; and then fully focus using the spot nearest the main point of interest which lights up. In fact as I scan the focus, the points light up according to which one is in focus.

In my brief trial with the Mark3, i have to choose which point I want to focus with before composing.

Can I set the Mark3 to work the same way as the 7D? ie. all points active and as I scan the focus across a selection of distances, the points light up accordingly?

Many thanks
Ravi

Can I set the Mark3 to work the same way as the 7D? ie. all points active and as I scan the focus across a selection of distances, the points light up accordingly?

You can defiantly set the mk3 to all points active, so I would expect it works like the 7D in the focus points light up as you focus

Ordered mine last week, arrives tomorrow - it appears something good DID come of me being made redundant in Feb!

As I've spent the best part of another £4K on camera stuff in the last month I better start thinking about making it pay for its keep as well as selling off some of my less used kit :-/

I just got confirmed for a gig Thursday so time to put theory to the test I suppose.

How did it go?

Got one coming up Saturday where I get the whole set to play with, might try it out then.

Shot my first two jobs with the 5D3 over the weekend. Very happy with it, besides the black AF points, which are annoying in the dark.

Generally much quicker to lock on than my 1D, and more accurate too. I did notice the slower focus with the AF-assist beam though, so hopefully that firmware update isn't far away.

Being able to sit at 6400 without worrying, all night is nice, and a lot less work to get useable shots at 12,800 is going to be handy for those events lit by one 60w bulb as well.

Think I'll get another one, who wants to buy my 1DIV? ;)

Jayst84 said:
Shot my first two jobs with the 5D3 over the weekend. Very happy with it, besides the black AF points, which are annoying in the dark.

Generally much quicker to lock on than my 1D, and more accurate too. I did notice the slower focus with the AF-assist beam though, so hopefully that firmware update isn't far away.

Being able to sit at 6400 without worrying, all night is nice, and a lot less work to get useable shots at 12,800 is going to be handy for those events lit by one 60w bulb as well.

Think I'll get another one, who wants to buy my 1DIV? ;)

Black af points. Somewhere on this thread is the setting to turn them on in the dark. I can't remember what it is off hand.

Black af points. Somewhere on this thread is the setting to turn them on in the dark. I can't remember what it is off hand.

Pushing the AF select button will illuminate all the AF points, and this makes it easy to select the correct one, but as soon as the point has been selected the light goes out.
There is no way of having the AF point stay lit in the VF like on most other Canon bodies. You can get the AF point to flash when focus is achieved but that's about it.

Pushing the AF select button will illuminate all the AF points, and this makes it easy to select the correct one, but as soon as the point has been selected the light goes out.
There is no way of having the AF point stay lit in the VF like on most other Canon bodies. You can get the AF point to flash when focus is achieved but that's about it.
i think as well as f8 focus the new firmware (due this month)was supposed to look at af point illumination as well but we shall see

I shot my 1st wedding with the MK III just over a week ago... absolutely amazing!

I had to take photos in a really dark room for the bride getting ready pics (red walls and high ceiling so no flash bounce opportunity) which my 7D would have REALLY struggled with. Was shooting at about ISO 5000 most of the time and the pics came out looking really nice. Not as perfect as say ISO 100 obviously but for ISO 5000 they looked great. I'd say they look roughly what the 7D would look at around the ISO 1600 - 2400 mark.

I used auto ISO for the 1st time with AV (I usually shoot everything in full manual) and the ability to set a min shutter speed for AV and max ISO were a god send. It did choose some pretty odd and funky settings which would be my only gripe... i.e SS 1/200, ISO 5000. The min SS was set to 1/125 so why it didn't drop the SS and ISO like wise I don't know? :shrug: I asked someone more knowledgeable than me and he said the stop difference would have allowed roughly 1/125 & ISO 3200 which would have produced a cleaner image... so I've no idea what happened or how to prevent it in future.

Apart from that though the body performed amazingly! One of my main issues other than noisey high ISO's on the 7D was that the IQ dropped really badly above ISO 800 and especially above 1600. The colour rendition in particular annoyed the hell out of me. With the MKIII the IQ is excellent at high ISO's, noise level more than acceptable and colour rendition fantastic.

Here's one of the shots from the wedding... this was just an early edit and I've since lightened her face slightly and corrected a couple of other issues:

8613968019_1fbbcfb5c2_z.jpg

Camera Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Exposure 0.005 sec (1/200)
Aperture f/2.8
Focal Length 70 mm
ISO Speed 2500

Now there's no way this image would have looked anything like this on my 7D at ISO 2500!!!

Only problem is now that I want a 2nd to stick my long zoom on for candids etc :LOL:

Nice report Andy. Thats a great shot, really captures the moment.
In just over a month ill be doing my first with a 5DMKIII, and my first ever lol.
Posts like yours are very encouraging.
Im hoping Canon get their finger out and get us the AF assist fix before the end of the month (as they have said they will).

same here mate but at least it looks like there trying

Yeah, as nice as the camera is i wouldn't say no to more features :)

I would love to see face recognition when using the VF. I know its not a pro feature but id find it very useful, and i believe the 1Dx already has it.

Last edited:
I shot a wedding with my 5D3 in a university chapel, as soon as I went in (it was for my girlfriend's best friend, I got asked on the Thursday before the wedding Saturday so couldn't recce it) I realised quite how dark it was, there was four of us shooting in the chapel (guests asked to get photos as the budget for the whole day was in the region of £200) and I was the only one able to get any shots out of it, I was at ISO6400, 1/60th at F2!

I shot a wedding with my 5D3 in a university chapel, as soon as I went in (it was for my girlfriend's best friend, I got asked on the Thursday before the wedding Saturday so couldn't recce it) I realised quite how dark it was, there was four of us shooting in the chapel (guests asked to get photos as the budget for the whole day was in the region of £200) and I was the only one able to get any shots out of it, I was at ISO6400, 1/60th at F2!

Nice one. Its times like that when you can feel a bit smug about spending all that money.
Im doing a recce on Sat at my daughters wedding venue. Its not something ive done before but its going to be a pretty relaxed day.
We will go through whats needed, and ill have a few weeks to practice like mad and do loads more reading. Actually not much practice as i dont have anyone other than my youngest son to practice on but ill do my best.
I am confident, and happy, that i made the right decision to upgrade to the 5DMKIII. If i was still shooting with just a 60D and 15-85 as my main zoom i dont think i would be doing this. Armed with my 50mm, 100mm and 24-70 i think ill have it covered. Might use the 70-200 on the 60D as well.

Back