Canon 5D MKIII official owners/users thread, anything related to the 5D MKIII

Ive got it now, thanks Alan :).

Just had a quick play with the 400mm 5.6 and canon 1.4x not bad at all, ai servo works good, focus is fast, a lot better than taping the pins on the converter.

Shows up in microadjustment with the converter attached as well.

47477447.jpg

r6565645345.jpg

11221122.jpg

11221122444555.jpg

Last edited:
hi Balb0wa

no problem

i also have the 400f5.6 using a kenko 1.4 tc going to buy my friends 1.4 II
and just use the kenko on my 70-300L

alan

Yes, ive got a 70-300L as well, a nice lens indeed, ive tried the canon on it but only at 300mm , shame it doesnt work right on the 70-300L.

So which AF points will the body allow us to use with a 2X TC?

Reason I ask is I remember reading somewhere that it's apparently limited to a few in certain areas.
Unless the site was misinformed. :thinking:

If I remember correctly on the 1D3 it was just the central point so would assume that would be the same.

1.2.1 working fine for me here since Thursday, thanks to Alan.

I've tried the uncompressed video and its looks a lot better. There seems to be a new menu item that allows you to mirror the LCD and TV/Monitor, with the menus showing on the LCD only. I can't get this to work for Live View though but I'm sure this is a feature that movie makers will welcome.

The only downside is there is nothing to look forward to on Tuesday now lol.

I have, but I've not used the camera much yet.

Looks like Dave used it a lot more.

Reason I ask is I remember reading somewhere that it's apparently limited to a few in certain areas.

Isn't that in the manual, in that big table of what focus points work with which lens?

If it's the same as the 1 Dx, which I assume it is, at f8 you can use 3 settings only, spot centre, centre, and centre and 4 surround for assist.

George.

I have, but I've not used the camera much yet.

Looks like Dave used it a lot more.

I've taken about 200 shots since updating the FW. No issues that I can see.
It might be a placebo effect but I do think low light focusing using the AF assist light on my flash seems better. This is supposed to be fixed so maybe it is now.

I've taken about 200 shots since updating the FW. No issues that I can see.
It might be a placebo effect but I do think low light focusing using the AF assist light on my flash seems better. This is supposed to be fixed so maybe it is now.
Any release notes on the firmware? how did you install it?

A question to the people already using the Yongnuo YN-622C flash transceiver with the 5D3.
Can this be used with one flash off camera with just the transceiver connected to the body,or is another flash required to be mounted on the body also to fire the second one off camera?

A question to the people already using the Yongnuo YN-622C flash transceiver with the 5D3.
Can this be used with one flash off camera with just the transceiver connected to the body,or is another flash required to be mounted on the body also to fire the second one off camera?

no need for another flash

Thanks for the reply. :)
Just that I only have a 430 EXII to use when mine finally arrives.
Is that the case for all functions including E-TTL?

Last edited:
One thing with the new firmware is this, with compatible batteries, you have to click ok each time you insert it. And info cant be selected on the screen.

battt.jpg

battt2.jpg

Last edited:
Is that with the official LP-E6?
I remember I used to get the same message with an aftermarket one I used with my old 7D.

One thing with the new firmware is this, with compatible batteries, you have to click ok each time you insert it. And info cant be selected on the screen.

Confirmed with my after market battery - original straight in no complaint, 3rd party does the above - only takes a sec to click ok though, but I'd be interested to see how this effects grips.

No cheapies off ebay, never got the message with these with the 1.1.3 firmware.

Hmmm. Perhaps they're trying to gradually block the aftermarket ones out?:shrug:

Slightly off topic but I noticed in your earlier photos you're using the Optech strap.
Are they that much better compared to the standard one? I keep contemplating getting one but the clip release part concerns me for some reason!

Hmmm. Perhaps they're trying to gradually block the aftermarket ones out?:shrug:

Slightly off topic but I noticed in your earlier photos you're using the Optech strap.
Are they that much better compared to the standard one? I keep contemplating getting one but the clip release part concerns me for some reason!

Yes a lot better, i have two a red one and a black one, very comfortable.

Bought mine from wex, but im sure my sister got one off amazon for £14 i think.

ras0595.jpg

Last edited:
Yes a lot better, i have two a red one and a black one, very comfortable.

Bought mine from wex, but im sure my sister got one off amazon for £14 i think.

Is the clip release part ever a problem?
I'm probably being paranoid but the thought of it unclipping while hanging round my neck worries me :D

Just tried the pixel grip.

One battery doesnt show (one with white label top right), but the others are ok.

ras0587.jpg

ras0589.jpg

ras0582.jpg

ras0594.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
Any release notes on the firmware? how did you install it?

No release notes, installing was straight forward and done in the usual way.

On Tuesday there will be instructions on the Canon website but you can also follow the instructions from the last update if you wanted to do it before Tuesday.

Last edited:
No release notes, installing was straight forward and done in the usual way.

On Tuesday there will be instructions on the Canon website but you can also follow the instructions from the last update if you wanted to do it before Tuesday.

What instructions? Never done it before

been playing with settings

as most of my shots are take in day light i find that just having af points used switch on help be it that they are black

alan

Back