Canon 5D MKIII official owners/users thread, anything related to the 5D MKIII

Oh this thread is making my heart race. I am in the process of selling some kit (5D MKII plus battery grip and 24-70mm L f2.8) to buy the 5D MKIII (I am new here so cannot list in the classifieds YET - if they do not sell by the time I "qualify to list classifieds" I will list here see if any of your good people are interested) I also have a 7D which I am thinking of hanging onto as my back up but reading here it seems I am not going to need it!!

What is the "light leak" issue some web sales sites refer to?

I went from the 7D + 5D II combo to the 5D III and don't regret it one little bit as yet (haven't shot anything that would benefit the 7D crop yet mind you).

I think the light leak issue only affected the earlier models?

Anyone see the report that magic lantern think they've unlocked 2k raw on the 5d mk2&3

Yep, saw that earlier today - my thought is that video aside wouldn't that open up silent 10fps high dynamic range stills even if video doesn't work out?

BTW - as a side note to others just took 230 or so shots today on the new firmware - no issues.

Last edited:
Further to my earlier post. I wonder if anyone here has any tips on where to get the best deal on a 5D MKIII, I see Canon is offering cash back at present as well, but some places seem to be offering no eligibility for this scheme but better prices and longer warranties, for example: http://www.hdewcameras.co.uk/canon-eos-5d-mark-iii-body-961-p.asp

Hope to hear your views. Cheers

you will not go wrong with HDEW

i have had a 7D 5D3 and three lenses from them
very helpful people

if you buy from them dont forget to as for a VAT receipt
you will then be covered by Canon UK for the warranty

alan

Further to my earlier post. I wonder if anyone here has any tips on where to get the best deal on a 5D MKIII, I see Canon is offering cash back at present as well, but some places seem to be offering no eligibility for this scheme but better prices and longer warranties, for example: http://www.hdewcameras.co.uk/canon-eos-5d-mark-iii-body-961-p.asp

Dominic. As far as I'm aware Hdew Cameras sell grey import stock without the added VAT (hence the price difference) which in most/maybe all cases means no UK warranty.
Many on here purchase stuff from there,Digitalrev or a registered user on here by the name of kerso.
Different members have varied views on importing,so I'm sure others will give advice as well. :)

Take a look in the "Photo Shopping" section a bit further down as they list deals in there on certain stuff. I don't think you need a certain post count to view it - but I may be wrong?

if you ask HDEW for a vat receipt any canon gear bought from them
is covered by Canon UK

i had a focus problem with my 7D and spoke to canon

i told them where i had bought it and canon at elstree confirmed as long as they are UK vat registered and you have a UK VAT receipt from them
they will honour the UK warranty

my 7D had a new auto foucus system in and shutter box they also calibrated it to my 400 f5.6L all under warranty
and it came back better than ever and was pin sharp
only reason i sold was to fund my 5d3

alan

Last edited:
I'll have to remember that for future purchases then, thanks Alan.
Does everything from there come complete with UK chargers etc (where applicable)?

all you have to do is make sure you ask them for
uk charger and orig manuals

i got a photo copy of the 7D manual all i did was phone and ask them for
and orig one and they posted it

really great place and good customer service i got three year warranty
on my 5d3 one with conon UK and the other two with HDEW
it is sent to a canon service center in glasgow
they are now listing the telephoto MK2 at good prices
as for warranty on L lens they have a world wide cover

alan

Last edited:
Just had a look on their site and there doesn't appear to be much of a selection of canon lenses.
Think there was about 12 altogether?

I bought my Canon 5D MK3 from HDEW - it was trouble free and delivered without any hassle. They were very helpful on phone.

HDEW's website would seem to indicate that the Canon cashback doesn't apply to items bought from them.

go to lens and then canon and there are sub sections
they cover wide tele etc just in the tele theres about eight
when i looked last night

there are 30+ canon lens sold by them

yes that is right they do not get cash back but the price is lower than with case back

Last edited:
Can someone help me. I'm on holiday and don't have my manual. My kids messed around with my camera and now my quick control dial doesn't adjust the exposure compensation in Av mode.

I used to be able to just flick that back and fourth to add or minus exposure comp, now it just changes the shutter speed to an L and then goes back. Anyone help?

Can someone help me. I'm on holiday and don't have my manual. My kids messed around with my camera and now my quick control dial doesn't adjust the exposure compensation in Av mode.

I used to be able to just flick that back and fourth to add or minus exposure comp, now it just changes the shutter speed to an L and then goes back. Anyone help?

sounds like maybe you have the lock switch on the back turned on

Not much use to you at the moment but, when you get back, download the manual and load the .pdf onto your laptop or smartphone. That way you always have it with you.

Thanks all, I worked it out whilst I was just out, you're right it was the multi function lock set to quick selection dial

Did something a little different over the weekend and shot a local theatre production's closing night.

Really showed off the immense performance of the 5D MK III as was regularly shooting at ISO's of 4000, and then when they had a black out (intentional) during the play I was up to ISO 12800.

I also used the silent shutter mode which tbh I think without there's no way I could have taken any shots at all. Imagine the loud clunk of a shutter going off every couple of minutes or more in a deadly silent theatre :LOL:

Here's a few shots from the performance. I don't have the EXIF for these as have quickly saved them from my website before uploading to Flickr (I'm on my work pc).

The first 2 were shot I think roughly between ISO's 3200 and 5000... the last two think were 12800.

I'll pop a link to the full set under the pics as there's more on there... the grainier are all roughly ISO 12800.

No NR has been carried out except on the ISO 12800 pics where the NR slider was moved ever so slightly in LR (set it to 15 or 17)

I did shoot loads in colour too but the B&W are my favourite shots (plenty of colour shots in the link below though)

8692729466_9170e900ca_z.jpg

8692729370_be5bc35938_z.jpg

8692729456_2f279d67c3_z.jpg

8692729388_a0689d50fd_z.jpg

Full set - http://www.andyhudsonphotography.co.uk/portfolio-item/bunkered/

Those shots are great. I think the b+w works well. They look very clean and sharp.

I too shot something a bit different yesterday.
I went over to Stratford (shudder) to see the Sci-Fi London costume Parade.
This was my first time in Stratford, and first time at a Cosplay event (excluding World Zombie day last year). Had a good time though, although it was a bit manic with what seemed more photographers than there were characters.
This was also the first time ive used flash outdoors. I took my Canon 270EXII to use as fill flash, just trying to get some practice in. I think i got there in the end but i did find it wasn't really needed yesterday.

Cheers Andy.
Actually these three were taken without flash. i think by this time i had given up using it.
Yes, it was pretty much even lighting so no real shadows to cause issues.

This was the worst of the lot as far as flash went. You can see the shadow on the wall behind.

Back