Canon 7D mk2 owners thread.

Thanks for the info.
Does this normally fix the issue ?
What is the best way to go about this please ! ?

There are several method to AF fine tune a camera/lens combo. The simplest, and cheapest, is probably to use a target that allows you to focus on a specific point and then see the depth of field in front of and behind the point of focus. From this you can tell if the lens is front or back focusing and make adjustments to remedy it.

You can mock up a homemade target and a quick search online will give you the general idea. You can also buy them and one of the most popular is the Datacolor Spider Lenscal.

The most important aspect is that you have to be able to repeat it several times so a tripod is a must.

Canon advise that the adjustment should be done at 50 times focal length. You can also tune zoom lenses at both the wide and telephoto ends separately.

There are several method to AF fine tune a camera/lens combo. The simplest, and cheapest, is probably to use a target that allows you to focus on a specific point and then see the depth of field in front of and behind the point of focus. From this you can tell if the lens is front or back focusing and make adjustments to remedy it.

You can mock up a homemade target and a quick search online will give you the general idea. You can also buy them and one of the most popular is the Datacolor Spider Lenscal.

The most important aspect is that you have to be able to repeat it several times so a tripod is a must.

Canon advise that the adjustment should be done at 50 times focal length. You can also tune zoom lenses at both the wide and telephoto ends separately.

Ok I have just watched a YouTube video of this method.
In the 7Dii menu AF micro adjustments is for each lens, so there I will have to do this procedure for each lens I own ! s

Hi TP members,

I am trying to do more off camera flash methods ATM. In order to control the ambient light I am using Live View and 7Dii's DP AF face tracking which is pretty good.

When I put the speedlite on the hot shoe and in Manual mode I have set f stop, ISO and shutter for the desired effect. So when I dial the shutter up to reduce ambient light the live view image does not change. However in Live View with no speedlite on the camera and dial up the shutter speed the image on the screen will darken, so why does this not happen in Live View with a speedlite on the camera ! ?

There appears to be a new firmware release 1.1.3

I believe this update for communications vulnerability and there are no other improvements for the camera.
For me it is a lot of effort to update for no gain what's so ever

Any idea why they are sending out notifications of this update now when the firmware is dated Nov 2019 on the website?

I believe this update for communications vulnerability and there are no other improvements for the camera.
For me it is a lot of effort to update for no gain what's so ever
Yes I saw that I won’t be doing it either

Be very careful with firmware updates - mine went wrong and I had to spend about £200 to get it fixed by Canon.
Oh that’s not good
I won’t be doing the update not worth it for a feature ill never use

Mine works fine as it is, so won't be applying this update.

Be very careful with firmware updates - mine went wrong and I had to spend about £200 to get it fixed by Canon.

Do you know why it went wrong? Did you use EOS utility or the SD card method? Did you check it was the right size file? Did your battery run out?

Sorry for all the questions but I always update where possible, and I’m just wondering whether you fell into a known pitfall.

I have always updated all my cameras without having any issues, however I have read too many stories of the process crashing. There is always a risk in updating firmware however carefully you follow the instructions. The latest update

Firmware Version 1.1.3 incorporates the following fix:

1. Corrects a PTP communications vulnerability.
2. Corrects a vulnerability related to firmware update.

I do not use PTP so I will not install this upgrade.

Do you know why it went wrong? Did you use EOS utility or the SD card method? Did you check it was the right size file? Did your battery run out?

Sorry for all the questions but I always update where possible, and I’m just wondering whether you fell into a known pitfall.
I used the sd card method - I did check it was the right size - my battery did run out - but only after it stuck on updating for a long time (so not the problem AFAIK).

Bit of an old thread this but thought I may bring this back to life...

I went from a 550D to a 600D to a 7D to a mk II..I love my mk II, my proper first DECENT camera that I bought so might never sell it but just curious, how many people still use the 7D mk II or has everyone gone mirrorless? :D

Bit of an old thread this but thought I may bring this back to life...

I went from a 550D to a 600D to a 7D to a mk II..I love my mk II, my proper first DECENT camera that I bought so might never sell it but just curious, how many people still use the 7D mk II or has everyone gone mirrorless? :D
I’m still using mine mainly for birds and wildlife, I now use a 6D MK 2 for macro
I probably will eventually go mirrorless but at the moment still happy using the 7D 2
I actually also went from 550D to 7D to 7D mark 2 , I’ve still got both my 550D and 7D

Last edited:
I went from a 550D (after a pair of 1D) to a 7D mkii, now replaced with an R6. The 7D mkii was good, but the R6 is something else from my limited use so far..

The only negative issue I have with my above image is the noise, as this was taken in low light. Even though the 7Dii ISO is mush better than 7D ( as I would not go over 800 ISO with 7D ) it is showing its age against other crop sensor newer in low light. I could have ran it through Topaz if I had remembered ! !

It's many moons since I had a Canon 7D-2. I 'progressed' to a 5D-4 then 1DX-2 and mirrorless EOS-R and have now settled with the Olympus Pro system. But I was chatting to a very good friend and photo buddy yesterday who shoots Canon 5D-4 and we were both saying what a great camera the 7D-2 still is. And the 70D.

It's many moons since I had a Canon 7D-2. I 'progressed' to a 5D-4 then 1DX-2 and mirrorless EOS-R and have now settled with the Olympus Pro system. But I was chatting to a very good friend and photo buddy yesterday who shoots Canon 5D-4 and we were both saying what a great camera the 7D-2 still is. And the 70D.

Yup I have a Sony a9 as well but it's nice to go old school now and then :LOL:

Have Canon ever produced a better APS-C camera?

Depends how you define better ... I tried a new 90D before deciding on a used 7D MKII, it was a better camera in every way apart from 1 memory card slot, build quality and AF speed. I am hoping Canon are bringing out a mirrorless crop body this year (something more substantial than the M series)
Well caught. For most of your bird photography do you tend to use the 400mm end of the lens with or without the extender? (The lens is on my wish list but I’m not sure if a prime would suit me better).

I am nearly always using the longer end, I also have a Sigma 150-600mm sport and that is mainly used at 600mm ot thereabouts(see below). I have been down the prime route but I do prefer the flexibility of a zoom and tbh I rarely could be bothered to carry the prime (Sigma 500mm f/4 sport and extenders)

Marsh Harrier
by Mike Pursey, on Flickr

Back