Canon A1 inaccurate shutter times.

Name
Jason
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone,

I have recently gotten a Canon A1, that functions perfectly well apart from the shutter speeds at the lower end of the dial. Timings starting at around half a second, are significantly faster than they should be. For example a 1 second exposure is measuring at around 0.8 seconds. The fault is more pronounced the slower the shutter speed, such as a 4 second exposure, is more like 3 seconds.

Everything else seems fine, such as the shutter speeds and aperture all change according to what I set it to. No canon cough, no shutter capping or shutter bounce and the electro magnets appear clean and functioning.

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks!

Timings starting at around half a second, are significantly faster than they should be. For example a 1 second exposure is measuring at around 0.8 seconds.
Fully mechanical shutters were generally considered accurate if settings below 1/30th were within 25% of the stated figure, so those of us brought up on them would consider your figures OK.

If I loaded film in my own Canons, shot at slow speeds and achieved printable negatives, I'd be happy.

Cameras Canon FTQL and AE1 DSC01793.JPG

Send it off for a CLA, your A1 is at least 36 years old, it give a little care and it will serve you well for a few more years.

If you were using transparency film, you could compensate for this. With mono or colour neg, it hardly matters in my view.

Back