Canon EF-S Lens buying advice?

D

Deleted member 89208

Hi

I'm pretty new to photography, I bought a Canon 77d with an 18-55mm about 6 months ago. I travel a lot so usually my shooting is on the go, capturing the moment before it passes by.

I have found that with the 18-55 I am missing shots as I don't have the chance to get close enough to the subject so I'm thinking of investing in a new lens with a higher zoom. I have seen this 18-185mm which should allow me to shoot a much wider range without needing to carry more than 1 lens on the go...

https://store.canon.co.uk/canon-ef-s-18-135mm-f-3-5-5-6-is-lens/3558B005/?nav=lenses,ef-slenses

Does anyone have any advice on whether this would be a good option, any tips on buying or alternatives to recommend?

Thanks

Last edited:
I used to have a 15-85mm which was excellent on a cropped sensor like yours. That would give you a little more at either end, but perhaps not enough at the long end. Quality wise I think the 18-135 was a step down from my lens, but it will give you more reach at the long end. I'm not sure how the quality would vary compared with your current lens.

Edit: https://store.canon.co.uk/canon-ef-s-15-85mm-f-3-5-5-6-is-usm-lens/3560B005/?nav=lenses%2Czoomlenses

more expensive!
Ha yes that is more expensive, and unfortunately a little out of my budget at the moment!

Another option would be to go for something with more reach at the long end but I'm just a little worried that I'll be limiting my options when the shorter stuff is needed

https://store.canon.co.uk/canon-ef-s-55-250mm-f-4-5-6-is-stm-lens/8546B005/?nav=lenses,ef-slenses

Ha yes that is more expensive, and unfortunately a little out of my budget at the moment!
And I'm gutted to realise - sold mine for £300. I kept it for ages in case I went back to a cropped sensor as I was very attached to it.

I think you need two lenses ;) Maybe getting the 55-250 and then a wider prime lens would suit you, if you didn't want to carry the 18-55. Mostly I prefer zooms if I don't know what I'll be photographing, but primes are usually lighter and more compact.

I have the 18-135 and it's my most used lens, though it is still just a 'kit lens' (I bought mine with the camera instead of the 18-55). It's a good lens for what it is. The IQ isn't quite up to my Tamron 17-50 I bought as a 'dedicated' landscape lens but tbh at f8 I'm pushed to tell the difference. It's at smaller apertures that it starts to show. IS is good. Mine's always used hand held so IS never comes off. The only 18-55 lens I've used is a really old one which was rubbish. I think that lens has had an update since then so I can't compare the two. I like the 18-135 because it's fairly small, light enough to carry in my rucksack when I'm out walking (it's the same weight as the afore mentioned Tamron) but gives me the range I want. I don't do wide angle but it will manage wildlife when I'm out and about if it's fairly close. I use it on an old 550D. I'm sure there are better lenses out there - it's what fits both your requirements and budget. If you're happy with the 18-55 you have then IQ should be on a par.

And I'm gutted to realise - sold mine for £300. I kept it for ages in case I went back to a cropped sensor as I was very attached to it.

I think you need two lenses ;) Maybe getting the 55-250 and then a wider prime lens would suit you, if you didn't want to carry the 18-55. Mostly I prefer zooms if I don't know what I'll be photographing, but primes are usually lighter and more compact.

Have a look on mpb.com for 2nd hand lenses. They have a few 15-85mm ranging from £185 to £300.

I have the 18-135 and it's my most used lens, though it is still just a 'kit lens' (I bought mine with the camera instead of the 18-55). It's a good lens for what it is. The IQ isn't quite up to my Tamron 17-50 I bought as a 'dedicated' landscape lens but tbh at f8 I'm pushed to tell the difference. It's at smaller apertures that it starts to show. IS is good. Mine's always used hand held so IS never comes off. The only 18-55 lens I've used is a really old one which was rubbish. I think that lens has had an update since then so I can't compare the two. I like the 18-135 because it's fairly small, light enough to carry in my rucksack when I'm out walking (it's the same weight as the afore mentioned Tamron) but gives me the range I want. I don't do wide angle but it will manage wildlife when I'm out and about if it's fairly close. I use it on an old 550D. I'm sure there are better lenses out there - it's what fits both your requirements and budget. If you're happy with the 18-55 you have then IQ should be on a par.

Great advice thanks, I think I will see if I can pick one of these up in the January sales

Have a look on mpb.com for 2nd hand lenses. They have a few 15-85mm ranging from £185 to £300.

I just ended up on Macao Billionaire Poker looking for this site :LOL: but I have found it now, very useful thanks

Back