Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Owners Thread

Thought there might have been a flooding of people demonstrating dual RAW on YouTube today but all there seems to be is unboxing videos :rolleyes: :LOL: Never quite understood the fascination of watching people unbox stuff :confused:

Later on I will try and post a dp raw sample for you to play with

I will be bringing the camera into work today with my sigma art 35mm lens and test at lunch time

Later on I will try and post a dp raw sample for you to play with

I will be bringing the camera into work today with my sigma art 35mm lens and test at lunch time
Very kind, although I won't be able to use it as I don't have DPP and you need a camera serial number in order to download it :(

744f8f52082b3a6aac21fa48a738b6fe.jpg
there is a major bug when shooting wide open on my sigma art lens

Mines coming tomorrow, Its a pity theres no raw support atm from adobe LR/PS and DGN raw converter doesn't seem to work eigher, well not with the raw files I downloaded from the internet. Is there any date when LR/PS is going to be updated?

Can any of you clever people tell me what resolution I'd be left with if I cropped a 5DIV image down by 1.6x to match the 7DII? I'm trying to choose between the two, I do mostly birds so I think I'd lose too much "croppability" by going full frame

Mines coming tomorrow, Its a pity theres no raw support atm from adobe LR/PS and DGN raw converter doesn't seem to work eigher, well not with the raw files I downloaded from the internet. Is there any date when LR/PS is going to be updated?

Adobe are normally about 2 weeks behind release

Can any of you clever people tell me what resolution I'd be left with if I cropped a 5DIV image down by 1.6x to match the 7DII? I'm trying to choose between the two, I do mostly birds so I think I'd lose too much "croppability" by going full frame
Nope but the Nikon D810 is 36mp in FX mode and 16MP in DX mode (1.5x crop), the D750 is 24MP in FX and 10MP in DX, therefore I'd imagine the 5D4 will be around 11-12MP in 1.6 crop. You can work it out by taking the resolution of each side and dividing it by 1.6 and then finding the area. If I knew the dimensions of the 5D4 images I'd do it for you.

But for example the D750 is 6000 x 4000 in Fx, 6000 x 4000 = 24mp. In 1.5 crop it make it 4000 x 2666.7 = 10.6MP

Last edited:
Nope but the Nikon D810 is 36mp in FX mode and 16MP in DX mode (1.5x crop), the D750 is 24MP in FX and 10MP in DX, therefore I'd imagine the 5D4 will be around 11-12MP in 1.6 crop. You can work it out by taking the resolution of each side and dividing it by 1.6 and then finding the area. If I knew the dimensions of the 5D4 images I'd do it for you.

But for example the D750 is 6000 x 4000 in Fx, 6000 x 4000 = 24mp. In 1.5 crop it make it 4000 x 2666.7 = 10.6MP

Cheers, I was hoping it would be closer to the 7D's 20Mp. I'll have to slum it and stick to cropped sensors

Am I incorrect by doing the simple arithmetic?......30/1.6=18.75?:thinking:

Am I incorrect by doing the simple arithmetic?......30/1.6=18.75?:thinking:
Nope ;)

OK so I"ve got the dimensions, it's 4480 x 6720 = 30.1MP. in 1.6 crop it will be 4200 x 2800 = 11.8MP.

Not a bad guess when I said 11-12MP then ;)

Cheers, I was hoping it would be closer to the 7D's 20Mp. I'll have to slum it and stick to cropped sensors
Yep, I was disappointed when I worked out the DX mode for the D810 and D750 as I had a similar thought to yourself. That being said FF do crop better and I can crop much more heavily on the D750 and maintain good IQ than I could on the D7200. For example, I ran a test with the camera set up on a tripod at the same distance (so closer framing on the D7200) and cropped the D750 to 1:1 and the D7200 to match the D750 frame at 1:1 and I preferred the D750 images,.... just.

Nope ;)

OK so I"ve got the dimensions, it's 4480 x 6720 = 30.1MP. in 1.6 crop it will be 4200 x 2800 = 11.8MP.

Not a bad guess when I said 11-12MP then ;)
How do you arrive at these figures?...I'm obviously being thick today!!

Yep, I was disappointed when I worked out the DX mode for the D810 and D750 as I had a similar thought to yourself. That being said FF do crop better and I can crop much more heavily on the D750 and maintain good IQ than I could on the D7200. For example, I ran a test with the camera set up on a tripod at the same distance (so closer framing on the D7200) and cropped the D750 to 1:1 and the D7200 to match the D750 frame at 1:1 and I preferred the D750 images,.... just.

You're muddying the waters now, I'd all but decided on the 7DII :confused:

How do you arrive at these figures?...I'm obviously being thick today!!
Lol, I posted the maths ;)

6720/1.6 = 4200
4480/1.6 = 2800

4200 x 2800 = 11760000 pixels = 11.76MP

Thanks, I'd never looked at the dimensions, so each side is reduced by 1.6...thanks!!
Well that's how it's always worked out before. I haven't found anything in the manual for crop mode yet though so haven't seen it written in black and white (does it have a crop mode like Nikon's DX mode?)

Last edited:
Fixed it. I disabled all lens corrections in the camera
ee3511c79d8820345e1cddc546ae5287.jpg

The above image was the bug

I should imagine you'll be able to update the Sigma firmware pretty shortly.

Fixed it. I disabled all lens corrections in the camera
ee3511c79d8820345e1cddc546ae5287.jpg

The above image was the bug
What lens corrections do you get with Canons? I assume this is only for JPEG, or RAW if used with DPP?

Well that's how it's always worked out before. I haven't found anything in the manual for crop mode yet though so haven't seen it written in black and white (does it have a crop mode like Nikon's DX mode?)

I've gone in to the whole crop factor thingy (which I should have done ages ago!!) and it's based on the ratio of diagonals, not area as I had incorrectly assumed.

Thanks for point ing out the error of my ways!!

George.

So what's the initial thoughts of the early adopters? Or is it only Johnny that's got one so far?

Bloody brilliant piece of kit. Today I shot a carnival with it.

Man I need LR to be compatible.
I guess we won't know about DR etc for a while, but what's the AF like compared to the 5D3 in terms of speed, accuracy and 'reliability'?

I guess we won't know about DR etc for a while, but what's the AF like compared to the 5D3 in terms of speed, accuracy and 'reliability'?

It seems a bit snappier/faster then the 5d3 but accuracy/reliability wise i am not sure.

When i did a shoot on sat with a model, she was standing infront of the window so i had the window as the backdrop overexposing to get the subject in the correct exposure with my 85mm f1.2 and it did miss maybe half the shots by about a hair or so.

The model was moving and posing quite a bit and so it could just be user error as it is not easy using the 85mm f1.2 lens(most where taken wide open or near wide open an f1.8) and also some shots had low shutter speeds of around 1/60-1/100.

This is where IBIS would have helped a bit as half the images i took where either not sharp or miss focused. Again this could be down to user error as i should have shot in manual mode instead of appature mode with minimum shutter being set to 1/30(i still have habit in thinking i have IBIS on but this camera has no IBIS...)

The AF mdoe i had was mode 1 and mode 3. mode 3 seem to be more reliable then mode 1 and i also used either a single AF point or a grouped AF point(9 selected, rectangle box). i notice that when using a single AF i was nailing more shots in focus but still some where blury(again down to me shooting too low of a shutter) and the Metering system could not cope with the high contrast scene(there were times i had to push 2+ stops in exposure composition, sometimes more but again my fault as i should have shot in manual for a scene like this.

Yesterday was better. i was at a carnival and used my 70-200 f2.8 mk2 and it seemed to nail focus easy and faster then the 85mm f1.2 . i have not pixel peep and checked the images yet but it seem to have done the job.

For yesterday i set all focus points to be active along with that face detection focus feature(forgot what its called) and i would say 80% of the time it nailed focus on the intended subject on such a busy scene with multiple objects in the way/scene.

The other 20% it would try and focus on say an object thats closest to me or on different person thats closer to me in the same frame but honestly the camera cant magically read your brain and know which person out of many u are trying to focus in but overal it did the job.

I wanted to see how well it does and tracks with all AF points selected and i would say it does a better job the 5d4 then on the 5d3.

No doubt the most noticeable difference in terms of AF has to be the speed it feels and reacts faster.

On a seperate note i had my a7r2 attached twith a 24/70 f2.8 mk2 and seriously after shooting both yesterday on similar settings(face detect on, all AF on) it focused and tracked nearly as well as a 5d4.

I really do not understand how some slate the Sony for having terrible AF . Its very capable and yesterday i had both shooting all day

It seems a bit snappier/faster then the 5d3 but accuracy/reliability wise i am not sure.

When i did a shoot on sat with a model, she was standing infront of the window so i had the window as the backdrop overexposing to get the subject in the correct exposure with my 85mm f1.2 and it did miss maybe half the shots by about a hair or so.

The model was moving and posing quite a bit and so it could just be user error as it is not easy using the 85mm f1.2 lens(most where taken wide open or near wide open an f1.8) and also some shots had low shutter speeds of around 1/60-1/100.

This is where IBIS would have helped a bit as half the images i took where either not sharp or miss focused. Again this could be down to user error as i should have shot in manual mode instead of appature mode with minimum shutter being set to 1/30(i still have habit in thinking i have IBIS on but this camera has no IBIS...)

The AF mdoe i had was mode 1 and mode 3. mode 3 seem to be more reliable then mode 1 and i also used either a single AF point or a grouped AF point(9 selected, rectangle box). i notice that when using a single AF i was nailing more shots in focus but still some where blury(again down to me shooting too low of a shutter) and the Metering system could not cope with the high contrast scene(there were times i had to push 2+ stops in exposure composition, sometimes more but again my fault as i should have shot in manual for a scene like this.

Yesterday was better. i was at a carnival and used my 70-200 f2.8 mk2 and it seemed to nail focus easy and faster then the 85mm f1.2 . i have not pixel peep and checked the images yet but it seem to have done the job.

For yesterday i set all focus points to be active along with that face detection focus feature(forgot what its called) and i would say 80% of the time it nailed focus on the intended subject on such a busy scene with multiple objects in the way/scene.

The other 20% it would try and focus on say an object thats closest to me or on different person thats closer to me in the same frame but honestly the camera cant magically read your brain and know which person out of many u are trying to focus in but overal it did the job.

I wanted to see how well it does and tracks with all AF points selected and i would say it does a better job the 5d4 then on the 5d3.

No doubt the most noticeable difference in terms of AF has to be the speed it feels and reacts faster.

On a seperate note i had my a7r2 attached twith a 24/70 f2.8 mk2 and seriously after shooting both yesterday on similar settings(face detect on, all AF on) it focused and tracked nearly as well as a 5d4.

I really do not understand how some slate the Sony for having terrible AF . Its very capable and yesterday i had both shooting all day
Thanks, very useful.

Back