Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Owners Thread

I was just going to post this. Not bad, good enough to tempt me away from the D750. DR is still down in comparison, but not by much now :)

Screen%20Shot%202016-09-14%20at%2022.54.31_zpss2xljjpd.png

Screen%20Shot%202016-09-14%20at%2022.58.28_zpssvtthtaj.png

If you buy it in NY, add 9% sales tax unless shipped out of state.
Yeah 8.82 or something like that. Even so it still comes in at current price a lot cheaper. I'm hoping its lost it's initial pricing by then.

I am seriously considering the 5d4 to replace my rather aged 1dsmk2 (not least of which struggles to focus in low-light).
I already own the 24-105IS lens, but i think it's mk1 - my choices come down to:

camera only
camera + updated 24-105
camera + updated 24-70.

Is the 24-70 better in it's range than the 24-105 is when covering up to 70mm? Would I be better served saving money and assuming my older mk1 is just as good in the 24-70 range and no real need to upgrade to the later 24-105?

I already own the 24-105IS lens, but i think it's mk1
If you own a 24-105mm lens, then it's either the f/4 USM "L" series lens (which I guess we'll have to start calling the "Mk I" now) or the much cheaper f/3.5-5.6 STM lens.
Is the 24-70 better in it's range than the 24-105 is when covering up to 70mm?
Which 24-70 are you talking about? Which 24-105 are you talking about?
In terms of image quality, the 24-70mm f/2.8 L Mk II is clearly better than the 24-70mm f/2.8 L Mk I and the 24-105mm f/4 L IS Mk I.
Between the two Mk I lenses, the 24-105 edges it, probably, but there's not much in it.
Would I be better served saving money and assuming my older mk1 is just as good in the 24-70 range and no real need to upgrade to the later 24-105?
Well, I don't know how much value you place on image quality, but it seems certain that the 24-105 Mk II will be a considerable improvement on the Mk I.
Canon deemed the 24-105 Mk I to be a perfectly acceptable lens to sell in a kit with the 5D Mk I, Mk II and Mk III ... but not the Mk IV. That says something, I think.

Hi there.

the announced lenses to be sold as kits are both the f4 versions, so the 24-70mm IS is an f4 and the 24-105 IS is also f4.

It's the f4 L version I have currently which I refer to now as the mk 1 :)

so based on it being an l lens, will the updated version offer 'much' more quality over the 27-70mm f4 lens, or would I be better of saving that money?

I tend to shoot a lot of 'people indoors' stuff like weddings, but also on trips away, do ancient architecture (iran) for example and the 24-105 has been my go to lens for about 5 years.

The 24-105 Mk 2 promises to be a stunning lens but will probably be horribly expensive when it first appears so it might be better to keep the Mk 1 for the time being.
It'd be most unusual for Canon to launch a product at a massively over inflated price ;)

The 24-105 Mk 2 promises to be a stunning lens but will probably be horribly expensive when it first appears so it might be better to keep the Mk 1 for the time being.
Available to pre-order for £1129 at all good retailers. That's about 50% more than the Mk I version.

By contrast the 24-70mm f/2.8 L Mk II was £1900 or thereabouts at launch (the Mk I had been about £1000 at the time), and it's still £1400. I reckon that makes the 24-105 Mk II look like decent value.

Hi folks - my 5D4 arrived in time for last weekends wedding so I gave it a whirl. My second 5D4 arrived yesterday so I'll take them out again this Saturday.

If anyone has any questions let me know here - I also wrote a little review in case you're interested http://albertpalmerphotography.com/for-photographers/5d-mark-iv-review-wedding-photographer/

Nice review Bert! One typo in the first sentence I thought I better point out though - 'I’ve decided todo a 5D mark IV review' needs a space between 'to' and 'do'.

Those files considering they are JPEG and not RAW look epic, I'm excited to see what you can do with the Raws when LR catches up :)

I am seriously considering the 5d4 to replace my rather aged 1dsmk2 (not least of which struggles to focus in low-light).
I already own the 24-105IS lens, but i think it's mk1 - my choices come down to:

camera only
camera + updated 24-105
camera + updated 24-70.

Is the 24-70 better in it's range than the 24-105 is when covering up to 70mm? Would I be better served saving money and assuming my older mk1 is just as good in the 24-70 range and no real need to upgrade to the later 24-105?

I have both lenses (well until recently, I have just sold the 24 105 F4L in anticipation of upgrading to the mk2 version). I find use for both

People indoors then I would use the 24 70 2.8 L as a holiday/vaction lens i would take maybe just the 24 105

..the mk1 24 105 mk1 is a good allrounder, i can't see the 24 70 f4 having much over the 24 105mk 2...I would image it will come down to price buy the 24 70 F4 for 4/500 or the 24 105 F4 for 700/800 (once the initial price settles down a bit?) I would imagine optically both will be similar maybe a slight edge to the 24-70 F4 but they prob will be close enough not to worry...but thats just me speculating...we will find out in October!

Available to pre-order for £1129 at all good retailers. That's about 50% more than the Mk I version.

By contrast the 24-70mm f/2.8 L Mk II was £1900 or thereabouts at launch (the Mk I had been about £1000 at the time), and it's still £1400. I reckon that makes the 24-105 Mk II look like decent value.
All depends how good it is I guess. The Nikon 24-120mm f4 and Sigma 24-105mm f4 are much cheaper so the Canon needs to be a big step up to qualify as good value in my book ;) :p

Was the 5D3 available with the 24-105mm as a kit straight away, or was it some time after? Just wondering if they might start doing the 5D4 with the new 24-105mm soon now that both have been released, hopefully making both a bit better value.

Was the 5D3 available with the 24-105mm as a kit straight away, or was it some time after? Just wondering if they might start doing the 5D4 with the new 24-105mm soon now that both have been released, hopefully making both a bit better value.

I think pretty much straight away. It certainly was with the 6d as that was the package I bought (the 24-105 f/4 L).

When last we were in New England, no sales tax in New Hampshire so if you were on the road at all. I think the dealer where I bought a lens was in Concord/e.

Seeing these prices above, if it's a choice to either buy from a grey importer or bring one in from the US and not declare it, (and I'm not condoning either, just making a point) the best price you'll get one in the US given exchange rates on either c/card or cash transactions (say currently 1.25 USD = 1GBP) the prices are almost exactly the same to within about £50), but the US purchased item will only have a USA/Canada warranty and NO international one..whereas I understand the grey importers all offer at least 1 yr.......

George.

Seeing these prices above, if it's a choice to either buy from a grey importer or bring one in from the US and not declare it, (and I'm not condoning either, just making a point) the best price you'll get one in the US given exchange rates on either c/card or cash transactions (say currently 1.25 USD = 1GBP) the prices are almost exactly the same to within about £50), but the US purchased item will only have a USA/Canada warranty and NO international one..whereas I understand the grey importers all offer at least 1 yr.......

George.
I'm not sure you get any warranty with Canon for grey imports do you? However, companies like Panamoz offer a 3 year warranty and they just tell you to send it in to Canon and they pay the bill.

George.

Didn't have a problem with the 600D I bought from B&H for my son. Developed a fault within 6 months and Canon fixed with a 3 day turnaround. Might have helped I'm a CPS member...

I'm not sure you get any warranty with Canon for grey imports do you? However, companies like Panamoz offer a 3 year warranty and they just tell you to send it in to Canon and they pay the bill.

You get no warranty from Canon UK on grey imports.

Didn't have a problem with the 600D I bought from B&H for my son. Developed a fault within 6 months and Canon fixed with a 3 day turnaround. Might have helped I'm a CPS member...

That was the case until a year to 2 ago, bodies were the first to be excluded, and now lenses are as well.
CPS membership doesn't help now.

Last edited:
Quick question on auto iso on the 5d's. As some may know I'm considering swapping from Nikon to Canon, and I really like the way ISO changes work on the Nikon. With Nikon I can hold the ISO button and use the rear dial to change the ISO value, and the front dial to turn Auto ISO on/off. For example I can be in any ISO value and turn the front dial and it quickly switches to Auto ISO. This can be useful when using flash as auto ISO only goes up a couple of stops when using auto ISO and flash so sometimes it helps to set it at ISO 400 auto ISO so it starts from 400 and goes up to 1600. Can you do this on Canon as looking at the manual it doesn't explain it well and from what I can gather to select auto ISO you have to scroll through the ISO values until you reach auto, is this right? Is there a way to turn auto ISO on/off quickly without having to change the ISO value?

It's a nice camera but it costs a pretty penny either here or in the US. I may be a party pooper but when a new nice shiny thing comes out I do try and resist and ask myself what it will offer me over and above what I already have. Just about everyone here will already have a very nice camera so the question of need v want comes into play.

Sorry if I am a party pooper and on the other hand and as someone once said "The man who dies with the most toys wins!" and cameras are cheaper than what used to be my thing - sportscars.

:D

It's a nice camera but it costs a pretty penny either here or in the US. I may be a party pooper but when a new nice shiny thing comes out I do try and resist and ask myself what it will offer me over and above what I already have. Just about everyone here will already have a very nice camera so the question of need v want comes into play.

Sorry if I am a party pooper and on the other hand and as someone once said "The man who dies with the most toys wins!" and cameras are cheaper than what used to be my thing - sportscars.

:D
It's too expensive imo, not good value but I'm sure it will be over time.

... from what I can gather to select auto ISO you have to scroll through the ISO values until you reach auto, is this right? Is there a way to turn auto ISO on/off quickly without having to change the ISO value?
That's how you select Auto ISO on every Canon I've used. I've only just taken delivery of my first batch of Mk IVs and I haven't had a chance to take one out for a spin yet (tomorrow...!) so I can't confirm from direct experience, but I'd be very surprised if it wasn't exactly the same.

However, there's more than one way to skin this particular cat. One useful feature on Canon DSLRs is the ability to store 3 sets of user-defined settings which are available for instant recall via the C1/C2/C3 positions on the main mode dial. So for your use case you could set up C1 as the Auto ISO configuration and C2 as the manual ISO configuration, and switch between them that way.

That's how you select Auto ISO on every Canon I've used. I've only just taken delivery of my first batch of Mk IVs and I haven't had a chance to take one out for a spin yet (tomorrow...!) so I can't confirm from direct experience, but I'd be very surprised if it wasn't exactly the same.

However, there's more than one way to skin this particular cat. One useful feature on Canon DSLRs is the ability to store 3 sets of user-defined settings which are available for instant recall via the C1/C2/C3 positions on the main mode dial. So for your use case you could set up C1 as the Auto ISO configuration and C2 as the manual ISO configuration, and switch between them that way.
Thanks for this, most helpful. I've just seen that with flash photography with auto ISO using the 5D3 the camera automatically sets the ISO to 400. Does this mean that auto ISO does not change ISO during flash photography and you'd have to do this manually?

What Stewart is saying is possibly the easiest, however there is also the possibility of setting up "My menu" options and although you still have to scroll through the iso options and select the one you want, it's pretty quick and saves hunting all through the menu options.

Sorry, I have another question re the controls. Can you set it so that you can move the AF point around without having to press the AF point selection button first. I'm so used to just being able to move the AF point with the control pad without having to press a button and find it a pain when I use my G7x and have to press a button first before the control pad moves the AF point. I forget most of the time and end up activating another function :facepalm:

You can set the joystick in the Custom Controls so that you can move the AF point around without pressing another button first. You can also set it so that the AF point will cycle round to the other side of the screen when you reach the edge of the AF array. So if you were on the last point on the left side and wanted to go to the last point on the right side you would make a single move to the left and the AF point will appear on the right side of the array. Lastly when pressing straight down on the joystick the AF point will jump back to the centre from where it's set.

Quick question on auto iso on the 5d's. As some may know I'm considering swapping from Nikon to Canon, and I really like the way ISO changes work on the Nikon. With Nikon I can hold the ISO button and use the rear dial to change the ISO value, and the front dial to turn Auto ISO on/off. For example I can be in any ISO value and turn the front dial and it quickly switches to Auto ISO. This can be useful when using flash as auto ISO only goes up a couple of stops when using auto ISO and flash so sometimes it helps to set it at ISO 400 auto ISO so it starts from 400 and goes up to 1600. Can you do this on Canon as looking at the manual it doesn't explain it well and from what I can gather to select auto ISO you have to scroll through the ISO values until you reach auto, is this right? Is there a way to turn auto ISO on/off quickly without having to change the ISO value?

I use custom modes on my Mk3, I have one set for street, all beeps and display off, minimum shutter at 1/125th and f7.1. I have another for flash, iso 400, 1/125th, f8, easy to set up. I think that would be your best way to go.

However I never understand people swapping between brands. Is there that much difference/advantages? Usually it's short to medium term before the other brand leapfrogs again, then theres all the investment in lenses etc.

I see they've also added the ability to put different AF setups on the AF ON and AE LOCK buttons. It's a pity they didn't put a top plate like the 1 series. It makes it so much easier flipping through the C1-3 custom set ups.

You can set the joystick in the Custom Controls so that you can move the AF point around without pressing another button first. You can also set it so that the AF point will cycle round to the other side of the screen when you reach the edge of the AF array. So if you were on the last point on the left side and wanted to go to the last point on the right side you would make a single move to the left and the AF point will appear on the right side of the array. Lastly when pressing straight down on the joystick the AF point will jump back to the centre from where it's set.

Thanks very much, most helpful

I use custom modes on my Mk3, I have one set for street, all beeps and display off, minimum shutter at 1/125th and f7.1. I have another for flash, iso 400, 1/125th, f8, easy to set up. I think that would be your best way to go.

However I never understand people swapping between brands. Is there that much difference/advantages? Usually it's short to medium term before the other brand leapfrogs again, then theres all the investment in lenses etc.

Thanks. As I mentioned previously the reason for considering change is the issues I've had with Nikon and losing faith in them, otherwise no I wouldn't consider changing. IMO Nikon still has the upper hand with sensors, and I like the controls but I've had enough of the ongoing issues and poor service from the Nikon service centre.

I think that you need a good reason to change and poor service would be a reason for me. It seems to be quite a common complaint for Nikon unfortunately. It also appears that Canon have gone a significant way to address the shortcomings in their sensors, namely low ISO dynamic range, and the latest cameras, 80D, 1DX MKII and now the 5D4 have closed the gap and arguably in the case of the 1DX passed Nikons D5. Usually Canon sensors close the gap in dynamic range at higher ISO but it's interesting to see that the 5D4s dynamic range catches up and passes the D750 at a much lower ISO than is usually the case. And although it can't match the D750 or D810 below ISO 200 once it gets there it's more than a match for them in every way. I have often contemplated buying a D810 and going dual brand but with the 5D4 I can't see the point any more.

I have a friend who changed to Canon for the very same reason. He's a Platinum CPS member and recently had his 1DX cleaned and serviced and back with him in 4 days including the time taken to send and return it.

I think that you need a good reason to change and poor service would be a reason for me. It seems to be quite a common complaint for Nikon unfortunately.....

I have a friend who changed to Canon for the very same reason. He's a Platinum CPS member and recently had his 1DX cleaned and serviced and back with him in 4 days including the time taken to send and return it.
That's about right. I get frustrated with Nikon's service every time I have to use it. Whenever I send a bunch of stuff off for servicing to Nikon and to Canon at the same time, it's not unusual for Canon to be sending it back to me before Nikon have even acknowledged receipt.

Back