Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Owners Thread

Just found, through quidco

Calumet orders over £250, 3% cash back so that's £108.

WEX 3% as well.

All the Canon wedding togs I know have two 5d4's already - I suppose it's fulfilling their requirements / needs / GAS. Most of them were contemplating switching to Nikon / Sony / Fuji (especially with the X-T2).

If I was starting out again, I'd go with Canon - for the support more than anything else.

FoCal is now out for 5D4, but it isn't working with Mac's new OS, Sierra, so if you want to use it, don't upgrade your Mac software yet...they say there will be an update again soon.

George.

All the Canon wedding togs I know have two 5d4's already - I suppose it's fulfilling their requirements / needs / GAS. Most of them were contemplating switching to Nikon / Sony / Fuji (especially with the X-T2).

If I was starting out again, I'd go with Canon - for the support more than anything else.

Despite my annoyance with the camera I really don't have much choice but to upgrade to it instead of jumping ship due to having so invested in the system. Have 1 more wedding left this year so no rush to get them over the winter. Hopefully the price will come down by a couple of hundred over the new year.

Despite my annoyance with the camera I really don't have much choice but to upgrade to it instead of jumping ship due to having so invested in the system. Have 1 more wedding left this year so no rush to get them over the winter. Hopefully the price will come down by a couple of hundred over the new year.
I've seen this mentioned a few times about the cost of changing over, but I've looked into it recently due to my frustrations with Nikon and if I sell my lenses and buy the Canon equivalents 2nd hand then I wouldn't be out of pocket. The only thing stopping me is the difference in price between my camera body and the 5D4 :eek:

I've seen this mentioned a few times about the cost of changing over, but I've looked into it recently due to my frustrations with Nikon and if I sell my lenses and buy the Canon equivalents 2nd hand then I wouldn't be out of pocket. The only thing stopping me is the difference in price between my camera body and the 5D4 :eek:

I have 7L glass, 1 TSE and a sigma Art.

There is no Nikon for the 1.2, the TSE and do a lens like a 100L? Plus their flashes are quite behind tech wise compare to the Canon 600ex-rt.

As much as I want to, there are compromises in both systems.

Do you think customers will see a difference in your end product or do you think it will just make your life a little easier with the improved dynamic range and ISO abilities?

Do you think customers will see a difference in your end product or do you think it will just make your life a little easier with the improved dynamic range and ISO abilities?

Hopefully I will have more keepers with the better Focus.

I can get better from shadows, for example, for this shot, I have pulled as much as I can without noise getting silly.

Getting another stop in the ISO would be good, I seldom shoot about 3200ISO at the moment. The higher buffer, even by 6 shots, is very welcomed.

As to your question of will my client notice?

Well, the answer is probably not but I am not a person who like to be standing still. I want to move forward and be better and better gear SHOULD mean better results. I am hitting the boundary of some limits of the cameras already, so a better camera with bigger boundaries should allow me to push further.

hmnKn61.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: dkh
@snerkler this has been the trend even for 5D Mark III, have patience and wait until at least December or early next year you will see the price drop. Early adopters always pay premium unfortunately.

Hopefully I will have more keepers with the better Focus.

I can get better from shadows, for example, for this shot, I have pulled as much as I can without noise getting silly.

Getting another stop in the ISO would be good, I seldom shoot about 3200ISO at the moment. The higher buffer, even by 6 shots, is very welcomed.

As to your question of will my client notice?

Well, the answer is probably not but I am not a person who like to be standing still. I want to move forward and be better and better gear SHOULD mean better results. I am hitting the boundary of some limits of the cameras already, so a better camera with bigger boundaries should allow me to push further.

hmnKn61.jpg

Pretty much what I thought that shot is some sort of photographers nightmare!

Pretty much what I thought that shot is some sort of photographers nightmare!

I wouldn't agree 100% per as, a decent diffused off camera flash on a stand to the right would have been ideal here :)

I wouldn't agree 100% per as, a decent diffused off camera flash on a stand to the right would have been ideal here :)

Assuming you have such a thing and the time/desire to set it up!

Exactly, will my client notice?

I doubt it. But I KNOW myself I can, or the technology these days can do better.

I shall look forward to the results it seems like a natural progression for those in business especially as the millage must be clocking up on those Mark 3's! The price is much more reasonable if it's the primary tool of your trade and your dividing the costs over three or four years.

Assuming you have such a thing and the time/desire to set it up!

I shall look forward to the results it seems like a natural progression for those in business especially as the millage must be clocking up on those Mark 3's! The price is much more reasonable if it's the primary tool of your trade and your dividing the costs over three or four years.

It's not much of a set up, just a flash on a stand :). The "desire" is simply overcoming the problem though, kind of what the photographer is paid to do ;)*

* no criticism of Raymond's shot, just a different solution where even a camera with very poor DR would have got the shot.

Last edited:
It's not much of a set up, just a flash on a stand :). The "desire" is simply overcoming the problem though, kind of what the photographer is paid to do ;)*

* no criticism of Raymond's shot, just a different solution where even a camera with very poor DR would have got the shot.

I had the flash, but not the stand, as I didn't take that with me on the flight to Italy...

I had the flash, but not the stand, as I didn't take that with me on the flight to Italy...

Like I said its not a criticism and a good example of when good DR is an advantage (well, it always would be!). However I do find in modern Canon's when you pull the shadow detail out (the 6d and 5d3 and 4 being very good for shadow recovery) it always recovers with a slight blue tint at its limit.

I'm fighting the urge my self at the moment. No doubt in a month or four when prices have relaxed slightly I will buy one. No point fighting it, it's going to happen sooner or later

...ordered :) I guess it was inevitable!

Main reason is wish for a second FF body to avoid switching around lenses and a couple of events are coming up in the next weeks giving me the perfect excuse!

Good to see a few more being purchased hopefully we'll start seeing shots and real user feedback and less moaning about the price!

Oh and s flurry of mkiii's in the members market at knock down prices [emoji6]

Good to see a few more being purchased hopefully we'll start seeing shots and real user feedback and less moaning about the price!

Oh and s flurry of mkiii's in the members market at knock down prices [emoji6]
Just because people are buying them it doesn't mean the price is any more reasonable :p

Just because people are buying them it doesn't mean the price is any more reasonable :p

Never said it did, just bored of hearing about it! It's an expensive piece of kit aimed at professional photographers we all know that!

So Toby, shall we have a sweepstake on how long before you cave in and switch? :)
Lol. If I had the cash it'd be tomorrow, but I just can't afford the difference between my D750 and the 5D4, and doubt I'll be able to for a very long time.

I suspect you will find a way to save or trade in to make the switch quicker than you think :)

It's arrived and unboxed. I will be shooting with it this weekend so more feedback after that.

Who pays the VAT? ( on an import from Hong Kong as I understand)

Depends on who you buy it from. Grey imports are lawful, it's just they follow an intended distribution channel.

Depends on who you buy it from. Grey imports are lawful, it's just they follow an intended distribution channel.
Have you read the HMRC guidance on personal imports? What do you mean by an intended distribution channel?

Have you read the HMRC guidance on personal imports? What do you mean by an intended distribution channel?

Yes I have. It's the buyer who's the importer and it's the purchaser who's responsible for the import tax and VAT - it's the purchaser who needs to ensure those fees are paid ergo, it's the buyer/importer who needs to comply with UK law. There's nothing unlawful about ordering a grey import.

So you just need to check the terms and be clear if you need to pay it or not. Most legit companies will pay this for you (but some don't, be clear when you buy).

The intended distribution channel refers to good imported on behalf of (in the uk) Canon UK. Outside of that it's not the intended channel.

Last edited:
Yes I have. It's the buyer who's the importer and it's the purchaser who's responsible for the import tax and VAT - it's the purchaser who needs to ensure those fees are paid ergo, it's the buyer/importer who needs to comply with UK law. There's nothing unlawful about ordering a grey import.

So you just need to check the terms and be clear if you need to pay it or not. Most legit companies will pay this for you (but some don't, be clear when you buy).

The intended distribution channel refers to good imported on behalf of (in the uk) Canon UK. Outside of that it's not the intended channel.

I disagree. Why should an individual be able to import a camera from say HK/USA without paying VAT and import duties (if any) ?

Please explain the difference between purchaser and buyer and who in the chain is the seller.

I disagree. Why should an individual be able to import a camera from say HK/USA without paying VAT and import duties (if any) ?

Please explain the difference between purchaser and buyer and who in the chain is the seller.

Are you purposely being obtuse?

The buyer is the purchaser. That wasn't a serious question was it? I'm assuming you too have read the guidelines re importing goods from abroad so I'm not entirely sure why you're asking the questions from me, it's quite simple.

I haven't said anyone "can" import from abroad without paying vat / import duty. All I've done is reiterate HMICs rules that the importer (in this case the buyer) is responsible for duties and tax. That's doesn't in itself make grey imports "illegal". Some companies pay it for you and add it to the full amount (such as B&H Photo in NY) some don't. It's down to the buyer to make sure either way.

Last edited:
Would be useful if they showed ISO test shots that were actually taken in low light.

More realistic settings for when I resort to shooting at 12,800 ISO would be something like 1/125 at F/1.4 with deep shadows and hot highlights. Not 1/100 at f/5.6 with nice crisp light across the scene.
Agreed. Also it would be nice to see RAW images as the high ISO ones here clearly have a lot of JPEG NR artefacts.

Back